PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wall with Rockets for cup?

Tipped Off
05-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Everett, WA - Everett Silvertips goaltender Michael Wall will be practicing with the Kelowna Rockets as they prepare for the 2005 MasterCard Memorial Cup Tournament.

During the 2004-2005 regular season for the Silvertips, Wall finished 5th in the WHL in Goals Against Average (1.92), 3rd in Save Percentage (.931), tied for 8th in Wins (24) and 2nd in the WHL in Shutouts (10). In the 2005 WHL Playoffs, the Telkwa, BC native finished with a 2.15 Goals Against Average and .936 Save Percentage.

Subject to CHL approval, Wall may be added to the Kelowna Rockets roster for the 2005 MasterCard Memorial Cup as an emergency back-up goaltender due to the possible season ending injury suffered by Rockets goaltender Derek Yeomans. Yeomans was injured in Game 1 of the 2005 WHL Championship series against the Brandon Wheat Kings and did not play in the remainder of the series.

WHL regulations permit the addition of a goaltender from another WHL club's protected list on an emergency replacement basis only. If the CHL grants approval, Wall will serve as Kelowna's back-up goaltender at the Memorial Cup but will not be permitted to play unless an injury occurs to current starting goaltender Kristofer Westblom.

The MasterCard Memorial Cup begins Saturday, May 21, in London, Ontario.

Jovorock
05-16-2005, 03:38 PM
That's great news, even though its on emergency basics only its great to have a qualified goalie just in case. Westy can do the job, but its nice to have Wall here.

Very classy of the Tips Management to loan Kelowna their goalie and help the WHL do the best they can .

IamBatman
05-16-2005, 03:50 PM
I agree. As nice as it would have been for Kaval to be at a Memorial Cup, I don't think he would want to be put in that high pressure situation should he have to step in for Westblom.

crush
05-16-2005, 05:04 PM
do the Rockets get to talk to any goalie/team they want? Do the other teams offer to help them out? I'm glad Wall is helping us out but how was the decision made?

ScottyWazz
05-16-2005, 05:11 PM
The WHL is allowing Wall to step in for practice, but the decision for him to be on the bench as an emergency back up is up to the CHL board.

kelownakarl
05-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Good to have such an elite goalie on board with our club!

rinkrat
05-16-2005, 07:43 PM
measure his pads!

The_Vulk
05-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Well, the CHL has given approval of this.

CHL Announces Emergency Replacement Goaltender For Kelowna Rockets (http://www.chl.ca/CHLMemorialCup05/0518.html)

Toronto - The Canadian Hockey League announced today that permission has been granted to the Kelowna Rockets to add an emergency replacement goaltender to their roster for the MasterCard Memorial Cup which opens Saturday, May 21, 2005 in London, Ontario.

Mike Wall of Telkwa, B.C., a member of the Everett Silvertips, will be added to the WHL Champion Kelowna roster as an emergency replacement goaltender and will serve strictly in a back-up capacity to the Rockets current starter Kristofer Westblom. Wall will not be permitted to play unless an injury occurs to Westblom. The Memorial Cup Games Committee reserves the right, should Westblom suffer an injury, to have an independent medical examination performed before Wall is permitted to play.

langdak
05-26-2005, 01:37 PM
I am gonna ask the same question that crush did

Can the Rockets talk to any team about any goalie in this situation?

Or is there only certain teams they can pull from?

Not to knock Mike Wall in the least, i would love to have him on my team, but wouldnt Kelowna prefer somebody like Jeff Glass or Kevin Nastiuk??

Just curious if anybody knows the answer

Cheers

Duct Tape
05-26-2005, 03:08 PM
I am gonna ask the same question that crush did

Can the Rockets talk to any team about any goalie in this situation?

Or is there only certain teams they can pull from?

Not to knock Mike Wall in the least, i would love to have him on my team, but wouldnt Kelowna prefer somebody like Jeff Glass or Kevin Nastiuk??

Just curious if anybody knows the answer

Cheers

I'm not sure where either of those two you mentioned are from (home town), but if they had taken a BC born player, they would have had to have dropped someone from their protected list, which they did not want to do (very understandable).

Later

DT

ScottyWazz
05-26-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm not sure where either of those two you mentioned are from (home town), but if they had taken a BC born player, they would have had to have dropped someone from their protected list, which they did not want to do (very understandable).

Later

DT

Well-- Wall is from Telkwa, BC; does that mean the Rockets dropped someone from their Protect List??

langdak
05-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Well-- Wall is from Telkwa, BC; does that mean the Rockets dropped someone from their Protect List??

exactly....i knew he was from BC, which in my mind threw out the theory of the bc born player

thats why i asked what the rules were to picking up an extra goalie

the answer has to be lurking somewhere..... :)

Jovorock
05-27-2005, 05:35 AM
No the Rockets didn't have to drop anyone, they only borrowed Wall as a emergency replacement. Wall is still property of the SilverTips.