PDA

View Full Version : Blades trade Svensson

wango tango
05-17-2005, 12:21 PM
svensson has been dealt to moose jaw for 6'3" defenseman greg brown. this opens up a euro spot for saskatoon.

i think it's a good move more competition in camp for the defense hopefully d-men who were with the team last year are starting to get the message. no ones spot is safe everyone will have to compete and earn their place.

what will molleken be looking for in the euro draft at the end of june? i think i heard or read somewhere they may be looking for euro d?

Billy Blade
05-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Not a suprise Svensson was traded, but I'm glad to see us get something for him. Hopefully Brown isn't just another pylon, anybody know anything about him?

Kassian
05-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Not a suprise Svensson was traded, but I'm glad to see us get something for him. Hopefully Brown isn't just another pylon, anybody know anything about him?

I have trouble believing Brown will stick with the Blades.

Brown is a very physical stay at home type defenseman. He is very aggressive in front of the net and in the corners. However because of that, he can be very undisciplined. That was a problem for him last year. He played in 17 or 18 games and had about 147 PIMs. A lot of those PIMs were misconducts. Mostly because of the 1 fight rule in Junior B. So the PIMs add up pretty quickly.

With guys like Haw and Flatt back there I don't don't see the need for another tough defenseman. But I wish him the best of luck.

wango tango
05-17-2005, 02:22 PM
I have trouble believing Brown will stick with the Blades.

Brown is a very physical stay at home type defenseman. He is very aggressive in front of the net and in the corners. However because of that, he can be very undisciplined. That was a problem for him last year. He played in 17 or 18 games and had about 147 PIMs. A lot of those PIMs were misconducts. Mostly because of the 1 fight rule in Junior B. So the PIMs add up pretty quickly.

With guys like Haw and Flatt back there I don't don't see the need for another tough defenseman. But I wish him the best of luck.

the physical aspect is exactly why brown may stick. the d including haw and flatt played entirely too softly.

Kassian
05-17-2005, 05:45 PM
the physical aspect is exactly why brown may stick. the d including haw and flatt played entirely too softly.

That is true. I remember hearing a lot of Blades fans weren't happy about that. Well in every game I've seen Brown play in, he was extremely physical. I've never seen him play any other way. So in that sense, maybe Saskatoon will be a perfect fit for him.

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-17-2005, 06:51 PM
I am glad to see Svensson has been dealt, I think that he was on the trading block to begin the offseason. I hope he has better luck in Moose Jaw, because he did not seem to be an offensive threat here in Saskatoon, I was really hoping that Molleken could help him develop into an offensive threat. I think Molleken has tried his best to fill the hole in the defensive core. now all we can hope for is a big trade that will help both our offence and our defence and maybe get an experienced goalie because I know that many goalies are available. Who really knows maybe the the 5 goalies who are going into training camp next season will be a goalie that will help out that weakness because Monette is a great goalie but I do think that he could use some help.

Billy Blade
05-18-2005, 07:19 PM
That is true. I remember hearing a lot of Blades fans weren't happy about that. Well in every game I've seen Brown play in, he was extremely physical. I've never seen him play any other way. So in that sense, maybe Saskatoon will be a perfect fit for him.

Sweet, I like him already! :D

wango tango
05-18-2005, 09:31 PM
sounds like someone every team would like . so why would m.j do it? did they owe stoon a favour?

i think it's lang's inexperience showing through once more. he doesn't have the connections to make a solid euro choice in the draft so why not go for a proven euro commodity? even if that euro has left a lot to be desired.

lang must also figure brown to be too much of a project to crack mj's top 7 next season. project d-men are molleken's type especially if they bring some size toughness nastiness etc to the table (eg mcallister and belak from his time with the blades).

Kassian
05-19-2005, 09:03 AM
It is hard to say how good of a fighter Brown really is because most of the scraps in Junior B aren't the greatest. Usually both guys end up wrestling around and before any real punches are thrown both guys fall to the ice. Not to mention the 1 fight rule, so a lot of guys don't fight much so they don't get kicked out of the game. I can think of maybe 4 or 5 fights Brown got into last season. He seemed to be able to hold his own. He is very quick to defend teammates. In fact sometimes he goes a little overboard. I've seen him jump off the bench during a little brawl to help out a teammate that was on the ice getting pounded. Luckily for him he was held back by the assistant coach at the last second and he jumped back onto the bench before the ref saw it. That probably saved him from a lengthy suspension, LOL. :D

But the willingness is there no doubt. If he can work a little on his defensive game and learn not to take too many undisciplined penalties then he could pan out. He's got the size and the heart that's for sure.

wango tango
05-19-2005, 03:11 PM
It is hard to say how good of a fighter Brown really is because most of the scraps in Junior B aren't the greatest. Usually both guys end up wrestling around and before any real punches are thrown both guys fall to the ice. Not to mention the 1 fight rule, so a lot of guys don't fight much so they don't get kicked out of the game. I can think of maybe 4 or 5 fights Brown got into last season. He seemed to be able to hold his own. He is very quick to defend teammates. In fact sometimes he goes a little overboard. I've seen him jump off the bench during a little brawl to help out a teammate that was on the ice getting pounded. Luckily for him he was held back by the assistant coach at the last second and he jumped back onto the bench before the ref saw it. That probably saved him from a lengthy suspension, LOL. :D

But the willingness is there no doubt. If he can work a little on his defensive game and learn not to take too many undisciplined penalties then he could pan out. He's got the size and the heart that's for sure.

i hope blades fans don't get too excited over this deal. svensson had to be moved or he was going to be released so getting a warm body for him in an area of need is a positive. hopefully brown exceeds expectations and can play well for the team.

Trav
05-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Just a minor deal in my opinion...Moose Jaw was probably the only team that was interested in him and like previous posters have said the Blades were going to release him anyways so even if Brown doesnt turn out, no big deal but if he does then I'd say it was a good deal by the Blades considering the Warriors could have just waited for the Blades to have released him and then pick him in the 2nd round of the euro draft.