PDA

View Full Version : Toews Shuns WHL

Tipped Off
01-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Center Jonathan Toews, the first-overall pick in the 2003 Bantam Draft by the Tri-City Americans, has apparently spurned the WHL. Toews, a native of Winnipeg, Manitoba, who attends high school in Minnesota, made a verbal commitment to attend the University of North Dakota. Toews is the first No. 1 bantam pick to shun the WHL

ihlemic10
01-21-2005, 12:11 PM
nice. why does he hate it so much?

upper level fan
01-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Just my oppinion but why cant people just realize that the whl isnt for everyone and for the college supporters the NCAA isnt for everyone either. I believe we need both Junior hockey and college hockey for the sport to stay strong. If you only had one side I think you would really cut out the talent pool. It seems to me that the guys that mature faster seem to take to junior hockey and the guys that it takes a little more time are better of the college rout. Both sides can name several big stars that went either rout and had or are having successful NHL careers. Its the kids choice he must feel its better that he goes that rout so good for him. And why pick on this one kid? There is probably at least 50 guys on the protective list of one of the 20 whl teams that are in college right now.

kelownakarl
01-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Thats too bad that he is turning down such a classy organization like the Americans. This young lad will regret his choice thats forsure. I know a few people who have gone through the Ams and have heard nothing but great comments about the team and community.

HAF
01-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Thats too bad that he is turning down such a classy organization like the Americans. This young lad will regret his choice thats forsure. I know a few people who have gone through the Ams and have heard nothing but great comments about the team and community.

For a US city with such a small hockey fan base, we really take care of "OUR BOYS". The Ams go to great lengths to keep these kids active in the community and volunteering at Youth organizations and Childrens hospitals.
The community really appreciates that about our team and encourages us to support them through ticket sales and boosters.
GO AMS!!!!!!