PDA

View Full Version : Hrynyk Traded

Wildeyes
11-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Prince Albert, Saskatchewan- The Prince Albert Raiders have traded 18 year-old defenceman Emerson Hrynyk to the Chilliwack Bruins in exchange for 17 year-old goaltender Cole Holowenko.
Hrynyk is in his second season with the Raiders, while Holowenko is currently playing with the Westside Warriors in the British Columbia Hockey League.
Hrynyk, who was listed by the Raiders in August 2009 has appeared in 50 Western Hockey League games including 8 this season after suffering an early season shoulder injury.
“We would like to wish Emerson well with the Bruins,” said Raiders Head Coach and General Manager Bruno Campese.
Holowenko, who was the Bruins 2nd round selection, 28th overall in the 2008 WHL Bantam Draft appeared in two WHL games with the Bruins last season.
“Cole Holowenko is a good sized goaltender with very good technical ability,” continued Campese. “The immediate plan for Cole is to continue his development in Westside in BCHL.”

To Bruins:
Emerson Hrynyk
Hometown: Okanagan Falls, BC DOB: Sept. 9/92 Position: Defense
Shoots: Right Height: 6’2” Weight: 190 lbs.
Year Team GP G A PTS PIM
09-10 Raiders 42 2 4 6 53
10-11 Raiders 8 0 0 0 8
WHL Totals 50 2 4 6 61

To Raiders:
Cole Holowenko
Hometown: Penticton, BC DOB: Jan. 5/93 Position: Goaltender
Shoots: Left Height: 6’2” Weight: 190 lbs.
Year Team GP MP GA GAA SVS SV%
09-10 Westside (BCHL) 32 1438 134 5.42 859 .812
Bruins (WHL) 2 50 5 6.00 12 .706
10-11 Westside (BCHL) 2 127 9 4.27 43 .827

Dwight Schrute
11-25-2010, 08:26 PM
an interesting return, yet again another deal with chilliwack lol

im not really sure why we need another 93 born goalie.

BruinsFan19
11-25-2010, 08:32 PM
What can we Chilliwack fans expect from Hrynyk?

Chipchura_Fan
11-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Emerson is a great kid, always a smile on his face too when I see him. Haven't got to see him much this season because of his shoulder injury but I think he's going to turn out to be a very dependable top 4 D-man.

But yeah, another deal with the Bruins lol

whlking
11-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Generally, every time I see a P.A deal I don't usually understand it from a P.A perspective.However, this deal, I actually think Chilliwack gets hosed. Unless Holowenko has every intention of pursuing the college angle and not report, P.A gets a goaltender with great upside that could step in next year whereas Hyrnyk is just your average defenceman.

BruinsFan19
11-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Holowenko played in some games for Chilliwack so he can't go the college route.

He was predicted by many to be "the goalie of the future" for the Bruins. The thing is, his development so far has been very slow. He shows flashes of being a solid goalie but almost every game lets in a back breaking type goal. Hopefully he'll work on that in Westside and then play well for you guys but I can understand why the Bruins were ready to move on.

Raider Believer
11-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Holowenko played in some games for Chilliwack so he can't go the college route.

He was predicted by many to be "the goalie of the future" for the Bruins. The thing is, his development so far has been very slow. He shows flashes of being a solid goalie but almost every game lets in a back breaking type goal. Hopefully he'll work on that in Westside and then play well for you guys but I can understand why the Bruins were ready to move on.

Hrynyk will be a top 4 d-man. Holowenko has been streaky his whole career. Mechanically he looks sound and he is a big body, but bottom line is that he just lets in too many goals.
Chilliwack will be happy with this deal.

chalk_one_up
11-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Has Tucker played himself out of PA?

Anyways, I liked Emerson and the story of a walk-on player enjoying success. He was a nice kid who was very nice to spark up a discussion with at the games that I have been to. During the pre-season, I saw Emerson take on a leadership role and acclimate himself more into the offense. His injury set him back a bit and once he returned, it was hard to slot him into the line-up regularly. Hopefully Hrynyk is able to display his talents in Chilliwack. I really do hope he has success with the Bruins. It's a nice deal in that Emerson gets to play closer to home.

scruffy1
11-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Bruno must have been hoping this will be looked at as turning a walk on into a second rounder. Holowenko's only 2 wins were against PG this year. They are the last place team in the BCHL and just fired the coach. He played last night after the trade and managed a 77% save pecentage.
Good Luck! Don't trade Tucker yet.

Dwight Schrute
11-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Bruno must have been hoping this will be looked at as turning a walk on into a second rounder..
lol that does have a very bruno'ish sound to it. reality was that hrynyk deserved to make the whl last season, just unfortunatly didnt recieve ice time or coaching to develop. under habscheid he may excel

sbtatter
11-26-2010, 12:53 PM
lol that does have a very bruno'ish sound to it. reality was that hrynyk deserved to make the whl last season, just unfortunatly didnt recieve ice time or coaching to develop. under habscheid he may excel
He and Ferland had a couple good scraps in bdn last season, I'm amazed he can't be a 3rd to 6th d-man on the Raiders, I liked his gritty, all effort game.

scruffy1
11-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Probably the best for Hrynyk as the bruins are short on D due to injury's. Mark probably initiated this trade and the writing is on the wall for Tucker having to assume the backup role. That may require a more willing sitter as it's only a matter of time till Williams gets most of the starts.
Good for Bruno for putting Hrynyk in a good spot. Just not sure he got anything for him.

Dwight Schrute
11-26-2010, 02:31 PM
he developed, he just doesnt have the foot speed to do what the top 6 now can do. How do you figure its Brunos fault when Ruopp and Yaworski developed with less time then Hrynyk?

i think you may agree with me that yarworski kinda just started playing great one day, no curve just likehe flipped a switch. and ruopp i thought was always better. i agree the raiders d got better, he didnt. not that he was terrible by anymeans, but he should be a top 4 guy

Dwight Schrute
11-26-2010, 03:11 PM
I think that the raiders have more then enough depth at defense to strengthen up the prospect pool between the pipes. Even with deck and rowley leaving next year they have button, corbin, yaworski , ruopp, berry l , waseylenko , sutton , and morrisey .

everything i see on holowenko doesnt sound too flattering. other then where he was picked. i like our d. and i agree moving hrynyk was the right move, im just puzzled as to why we are adding a struggling 93 goalie, when we have an elite one. is it admitting tucker was a mistake ? im just curious why this was the return.and im also happy it wasnt a 12th or 13th round pick

jnofish1
11-26-2010, 03:31 PM
was a treat watching him!!! brought lots of excitement.hope the bruins treat him right he deserves it!!! unlike a particular coach we all know!!!,who only treats a few players out of "a team" right, then wonders why the lack of consistency.

HockeyGuru
11-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Hrynyk is/was a spare part guy,Bruins are down some defence...Top 4 d-man not with his footspeed.
Rumbles are that Tucker might walk out..Holewenko is an insurance in case that it happens as they have No other options.

Raider Believer
11-26-2010, 05:25 PM
I think that the raiders have more then enough depth at defense to strengthen up the prospect pool between the pipes. Even with deck and rowley leaving next year they have button, corbin, yaworski , ruopp, berry l , waseylenko , sutton , and morrisey .

rf15, the rose colored glasses you're looking through must be flourescent! Button won't be here next year. He will have completed his 4 years of dub play and be eligible to play in the AHL. Boston will almost certainly offer him a 2 way contract. Waseylenko is a similarly slow footed guy like Hrynyk but not as good, which is why he didn't make the team as a 17 year old which Hrynyk did. Corbin wasn't able to crack the Rockets lineup this year as an 18 year old, how good can/will he be next year? Sutton will never play in the dub, his skating and transitions are absolutely terrible. Yaworski, Ruopp and Berry-L are the meat of next years d-corps and until recently Yaworski was our #6 or 7 guy. Morrisey looks to have potential but will only be a 16 year old, and if Bruno is still around, Morrisey will be messed up by Christmas. IMO defense is significantly more important than forward. Bruno protected his own butt this year by keeping two 20 year olds for the back end, which will leave us in a mess for next season, and I'm looking to next season because in case no one has noticed, playoff hopes for this year are fading, fading..... Hope I'm wrong.

Arthur Fonzerelli
11-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Rumbles are that Tucker might walk out..Holewenko is an insurance in case that it happens as they have No other options.
Jamie Tucker didn't step up to the challenge when the Giants traded with Regina for Tendler and instead asked for a trade. His dwindling value and the introduction of a 3rd goalie in PA is no doubt challenging his confidence. His stats are the lowest in the WHL so his trade value is pretty low but if he walks now his major junior career is pretty well over. I can't see Holewenko being the answer to the backup situation though, he is only playing Jr A as an emergency callup in Westside to fill a spot left open when they traded another backup to Victoria. If the starting goalie for Westside ever was injured for any length of time they would find another starter before giving the job to Holowenko.

BruinsFan19
11-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Holowenko's played all 3 games since being traded to Westside.

Arthur Fonzerelli
11-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Holowenko has played 2 of Westsides last 3 games. Giving up 4 goals on 18 shots to the BCHL's worst team in a win and 5 goals on 26 shots in an OT loss.

BruinsFan19
11-27-2010, 12:58 AM
3 of 4 but who's counting? :) 3 of 5 if you include tonight.

But I'm not arguing that he's not ready to be a starter.