PDA

View Full Version : Schenn back to Brandon

chalk_one_up
12-02-2010, 03:41 PM
http://luberslounge.blogspot.com/2010/12/schenn-on-way-back-to-brandon.html

Schenn on Way Back to Brandon
According to Rich Hammond at www.lakingsinsider.com, Brayden Schenn will be assigned back to the Wheat Kings tomorrow.

Here's what Hammond wrote just minutes ago...

The Kings are expected to announce — probably tomorrow — that Brayden Schenn will return his his junior team, Brandon of the WHL.

Schenn has appeared in eight games with the Kings but has not appeared in a game since Oct. 30. In between, he had a two-week conditioning stint in Manchester, but with Alexei Ponikarovsky on the verge of returning — not to mention the possibility of the Kings acquiring Marco Sturm — Schenn’s chances of sticking on the NHL roster were further diminished.

The news was apparently confirmed by a spokesperson for the team to Helene Elliott of the LA Times.

This, of course, will lead to plenty of speculation on whether Schenn will remain a Brandon Wheat King for the rest of this season.

Here's an opinion much different than those of the common folk and many others that follow junior hockey.

There's a belief at there that LA want Schenn to play for a WHL contender, with Portland and Saskatoon already being mentioned as possibly landing spots.

It's apparent, to me, that the Kings' belief is that Schenn isn't quite ready for the NHL, but would probably be better served by playing in the AHL.

If Schenn stays with the Wheat Kings, it's possible (probable) he could return to the Kings or head to Manchester of the AHL once Brandon's season ended, which is apparently what LA wants.

So, in escence, I'm saying the Kings might prefer Schenn to remain a Wheat Kings, and then could possibly have him play another 5-6 games in the AHL (plus playoffs) once Brandon's season ends if, in fact, that happens near the end of March / early April.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sayin that's what's going to happen, but I'm looking at it from LA's standpoint.

Secondly, from Brandon's standpoint, I don't think we can underestimate the importance of making the playoffs.

I had a conversation with Portland GM/Coach Mike Johnston when the Winterhawks travelled through the Wheat City where he talked about how much last year's playoffs is helping Portland with their season so far.

I would think that would the favouring opinion for every GM and Coach in the WHL, including Kelly McCrimmon, that your team can learn and grow a lot in the playoffs, whether it's for the current year or for the future. In fact, I think part of the reason for Brandon's growth the last two seasons can be partly attributed to making the playoffs in Schenn's rookie season in 2007-08, when they lost in the first round to Lethbridge.

Thirdly, how much better does Schenn make the Wheat Kings? That's a question that would obviously be answered in the second half of the season, but does it turn them into a contender or even close to that?

Time will tell how this all plays out but, after all, this is just one man's opinion!!

lordstanley
12-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Hopefully we can say welcome home to Braden Schenn

Just scared what we would have to give up

whlking
12-02-2010, 04:18 PM
On the other board, speculation is that the Schenn trade is complete and it is pending his official re-assignment. As for the destination, it "may surprise some of us". Take that for what you want.

mckayd2001
12-02-2010, 05:10 PM
When exactly does he goto the camp for world juniours any chances he will play any games in Brandon before than like the games on the Dec 11 and 12th?

sbtatter
12-02-2010, 05:35 PM
On the other board, speculation is that the Schenn trade is complete and it is pending his official re-assignment. As for the destination, it "may surprise some of us". Take that for what you want.

The guy who says the trade is complete, is he credible?

Scott
12-02-2010, 06:17 PM
The guy who says the trade is complete, is he credible?

He will be in a WK jersey until the trade deadline no way Kelly trades him until then. We need goal scoring and he is just that

Allin44
12-02-2010, 06:26 PM
When exactly does he goto the camp for world juniours any chances he will play any games in Brandon before than like the games on the Dec 11 and 12th?

I think the WJC camp starts on the 11th

mckayd2001
12-02-2010, 06:46 PM
I think the WJC camp starts on the 11th

Thanks for the info guess i won't get to see him play until the new year.

Trav
12-02-2010, 07:41 PM
The Wheat Kings would be stupid to not to trade him. Look at the Pats and the mistake they made last year when they decided to hang on to Eberle and Tuebert. Now they suck. Don't think the Wheat Kings will wanna make the same mistake.

I'd be shocked if Brandon kept Schenn the rest of the year.

Scott
12-02-2010, 07:52 PM
The Wheat Kings would be stupid to not to trade him. Look at the Pats and the mistake they made last year when they decided to hang on to Eberle and Tuebert. Now they suck. Don't think the Wheat Kings will wanna make the same mistake.

I'd be shocked if Brandon kept Schenn the rest of the year.

No chance he stays in Brandon the entire year KM is much smarter the Parker. My guess he lands in Portland maybe they will give up Ty Rattie and a few picks:)

reims
12-02-2010, 08:03 PM
No chance he stays in Brandon the entire year KM is much smarter the Parker. My guess he lands in Portland maybe they will give up Ty Rattie and a few picks:)

ya keep dreaming...Rattie? Never

Scott
12-02-2010, 08:22 PM
ya keep dreaming...Rattie? Never

I know it's a long shot but you never know KM has made some pretty one sided trades in the past

Trav
12-02-2010, 08:54 PM
I know it's a long shot but you never know KM has made some pretty one sided trades in the past

I'd take Rattie over Schenn any day to be honest with u. Portland would be stupid to trade him for Schenn.

BigCat20
12-02-2010, 08:55 PM
If speculation of him to M.J. is true, I hope you extort more back than you gave up for Hamonic! Atleast they would get him possibly back right after w.j.!

Toswammi
12-02-2010, 09:02 PM

That guy said "division/conference" for it to surprise me I wouldn't think Saskatoon, Moose Jaw or even Kootenay would surprise me. Red Deer, SC or MH (of the better teams) would be more of a surprise.

whlking
12-02-2010, 09:24 PM
That guy said "division/conference" for it to surprise me I wouldn't think Saskatoon, Moose Jaw or even Kootenay would surprise me. Red Deer, SC or MH (of the better teams) would be more of a surprise.

As a Pat fan, I get worried when this particular poster used the term" a team that may surprise some". My first thought was "O No". Parker has been known to overvalue his team and lord help us if he thinks acquiring Schenn could salvage the year. What worries me even more is the fact that we just recalled 17 year old defenceman Tyler Borstmayer. I sure hope the reason he was recalled wasn't to package him up along with others for Schenn.

Scott
12-02-2010, 09:32 PM
As a Pat fan, I get worried when this particular poster used the term" a team that may surprise some". My first thought was "O No". Parker has been known to overvalue his team and lord help us if he thinks acquiring Schenn could salvage the year. What worries me even more is the fact that we just recalled 17 year old defenceman Tyler Borstmayer. I sure hope the reason he was recalled wasn't to package him up along with others for Schenn.

Not a chance in a million years KM trades Schenn to Regina.

Toswammi
12-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Not a chance in a million years KM trades Schenn to Regina.

If the price is right, why not? The Wheaties won't win it all this year with or without Schenn.

Rye
12-03-2010, 03:09 AM
If the price is right, why not? The Wheaties won't win it all this year with or without Schenn.

Neither will the Pats

patsdude114
12-03-2010, 05:15 AM
I think the best place for Schenn to end up would be Portland but not sure how much they r willing to part with ur young talent as they just got there franchise back on the right path.

Any team in the BC division could take a serious interest in Schenn, every team in that division is looking for a piece that could separate them from the pack. Its such a tight division with a few big game breakers out there like Howse, Connelly, Ranford, Gallagher to name a few. Add a Schenn into the mix maybe a depth player in the deal as well with Schenn like Ciarelli or even a 20 yr old in Toews & the team could have a legit chance at that division.

Red Deer could be a place of interest & it wouldnt surprise me if either Schenn or Ashton end up in Red Deer by trade deadline.

Medicine Hat i dont even think they will look at Schenn to be honest, they never have really been a team to make a splash at trade deadline or adding any type of player to put them over the edge. But maybe with Etem, Vey, Hamilton maybe MH has to seriously look at the chance of adding a 1 of the top junior players in the world to make a run at something.

Kootenay kind of reminds me of Saskatoon in alot of ways, no 1 who is a real game breaker on the roster but both teams have solid goaltending & defense. Both these teams need to take a long hard look at Schenn but i think Saskatoon is the odd team out here being in the division & will prob have to give up alot more.

Either way i know KM isnt as stupid as Parker (even tho he may look stupid) KM will move Schenn, most likely Glennie as well & wouldnt surprise me if Toews/Weibe are on the way out as well to strengthen a contenders 20 yr old spots.

My pick(s) are
Schenn goes to Kootenay
Glennie to Tri-City (think they will surprise alot in a prep for a run)
Weibe to Portland (they have a empty 20yr old spot)

warr2
12-03-2010, 08:29 AM
I think when trading now adays in a division doesn't matter anymore as the teams are seeded 1-8 as in the past were the 1st round was Division seeded. So trading to Saskatoon or Red deer is basicley the same thing unless you trade conferances.

Scott
12-03-2010, 09:07 AM
I think when trading now adays in a division doesn't matter anymore as the teams are seeded 1-8 as in the past were the 1st round was Division seeded. So trading to Saskatoon or Red deer is basicley the same thing unless you trade conferances.

It does matter if Brandon trades Schenn to someone in the Division it will be a contender, if we actually make the playoffs we will be a 7th or 8th seed. It will come back and haunt us. He will be going west if he does actually getting moved.

WorkHorse
12-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Not playoff standings that are so much an issue, it's how many times you have to face each other. Brandon only plays Red Deer 4 times in a year (and I believe 2 will be already done), Portland once (already done), Saskatoon 8 Times. That can sometimes be what they are avoiding.

patsdude114
12-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Its not even about the current season in itself.... As much as Saskatoon would love to add a Schenn into there lineup it is hard for them to deal off top prospects to a division rival & watch there top prospect play them 8 times a year & ultimately come back & haunt them for what.... a 1/2 season with a old Brandon star player by the name of Schenn.

Also Saskatoon isnt going anywhere either unless they add a quality goal scorer (who isnt Schenn as he is going elsewhere) they will have problems getting out of the 2nd round without it.

Hockey Spy
12-03-2010, 03:07 PM
If Marek Viedensky hadn't missed the past 6 games, the Blades would have 3 scorers in the top 10 in league scoring. Add that in with perhaps the most mobile defence in the league, I don't really think scoring is a huge issue this year and I don't think that would prevent them from moving past the second round.

The could use a 2nd line center to take some pressure off of young 17 yr old Brent Benson. However, a player such as Jimmy Bubnick or of that ilk would do the job.

Give your head a shake.:confused:

lordstanley
12-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Yeah last time i check 3 Blades players in the top 10 scoring aint to shabby scoring is not a problem right now at all a depth player like Bubnick would be great i see us going far this season

sbtatter
12-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Schenn's return is an early Xmas present for Kelly Mac. Wait and see what offers come in for arguably the best player in the dub, and make a deal.

patsdude114
12-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Yeah last time i check 3 Blades players in the top 10 scoring aint to shabby scoring is not a problem right now at all a depth player like Bubnick would be great i see us going far this season

ya thats great but like i said a true goal scorer, the Blades have some quality players up front but lack the true finish/game breaker type player. Im not saying Bubnick is that guy cuz he isnt but just add more depth into a deep team already to give them a better chance to get out of the 2nd round.

If Chilliwack falls in the standings from now til trade deadline maybe they would consider moving Howse which if that is the case the Blades better be all over that 1.

sbtatter
12-03-2010, 05:56 PM
If Chilliwack falls in the standings from now til trade deadline maybe they would consider moving Howse which if that is the case the Blades better be all over that 1.

That is exactly the type of player the Blades should go after. If they would have got Eberle last year I really think they would have won the dub, not calgary.....

rebel
12-04-2010, 12:09 PM
any word if schenn is going to be in the lineup tonite against the rebels.

Wheatie Pete
12-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Brayden Schenn will be in the line up for tonight

Hockey Spy
12-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Not forsure, to my knowledge he is still in Saskatoon with his family. I guess we'll see come game time.

sbtatter
12-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Not forsure, to my knowledge he is still in Saskatoon with his family. I guess we'll see come game time.

Be interesting to see if Schenn's there. Luber says "he's expected" to be there, sounds as though you have an inside connection to the Schenn's, so we'll see. I don't know why he went to Saskatoon from LA though, would have made more sense to fly to Cgy hey? If he flew to Saskatoon then I'm pretty sure he won't be in Red Deer tonight!!!

lordstanley
12-04-2010, 03:49 PM
He might as well just stay in stoon as he will be a blade very soon lol i wish

sbtatter
12-04-2010, 04:28 PM
He might as well just stay in stoon as he will be a blade very soon lol i wish
Make it worth Kelly Mac's while and it could happen!!

sbtatter
12-04-2010, 06:05 PM

Luber says he's playing
http://luberslounge.blogspot.com/

wheatiesfan
12-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Why do I get the feeling that this is turning into another "Lindros like" soap opera. I sure hope its not. For a guy who has 8 games of NHL experience, it may not be wise for he, or his parents, to demand where or when he should be traded. He's been a class act up until now, and I hope he still is after his junior days are over.

WorkHorse
12-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Highly doubt he was in Saskatoon with his family as he has scored his first WHL goal of the season tonight in Red Deer.

Boltz9
12-05-2010, 01:20 AM
Anyone watch the game tonight against the Rebels? I'd like to know again how the team played in the defensive zone, were they really bad once again or was Liston not up to par?

And while I'm on the subject of goaltending, personally I hate the way Kelly deals with changing goalies. Leaving Liston in for 7 goals against in a couple of recent games can't be good for his confidence. I also watched the opening game of the Memorial Cup again the other day on my pvr, the one where Kelly made the stupid decision to start Hayes, then leave him in for 4 quick goals, and 5 in the first period, which stunned the tv commentators and shows how bad he can be when it comes to managing his goalies. Rant over.

Rye
12-05-2010, 02:50 AM
The most confusing thing is that at the start of the year the assistant coach said that they would play the hot goaltender ... but Liston has really struggled. He has been pulled 3 times in the last 6 games. Boes did struggle at first but I think he has adjusted to the league well enough to at least get a few more starts while Liston finds his game.

Most of the goals on Liston lately don't look like they were really his fault ... but he doesn't really battle, he gives up on a lot of rebounds. The thing I love the most is a goalie that never gives up on a play and Liston just hasn't impressed me much on that aspect. Did anyone see Boes' paddle save against the Oil Kings? That is a perfect example of what I mean, he could have easily given up but he reached back and made a lucky but nice stop.

BSB
12-05-2010, 10:23 AM
The most confusing thing is that at the start of the year the assistant coach said that they would play the hot goaltender ... but Liston has really struggled. He has been pulled 3 times in the last 6 games. Boes did struggle at first but I think he has adjusted to the league well enough to at least get a few more starts while Liston finds his game.

Most of the goals on Liston lately don't look like they were really his fault ... but he doesn't really battle, he gives up on a lot of rebounds. The thing I love the most is a goalie that never gives up on a play and Liston just hasn't impressed me much on that aspect. Did anyone see Boes' paddle save against the Oil Kings? That is a perfect example of what I mean, he could have easily given up but he reached back and made a lucky but nice stop.

Time to take off those rose coloured glasses. You should take some lessons from Workhorse on how to be objective about the player you have a close relation to (which is obviously the case since you never posted here until Boes came to camp).
I'm not sure how many games you have seen live, but from a season ticket holder, Liston is far and away the superior goalie (from someone watching the home games). Boes was awful in his last home start. Liston has looked very impressive and he probably doesn't look like he is battling because he is so smooth at getting himself back into position. I have been very impressed how Liston can look out of position one second and he is immediately back up and into position.

Rye
12-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Time to take off those rose coloured glasses. You should take some lessons from Workhorse on how to be objective about the player you have a close relation to (which is obviously the case since you never posted here until Boes came to camp).
I'm not sure how many games you have seen live, but from a season ticket holder, Liston is far and away the superior goalie (from someone watching the home games). Boes was awful in his last home start. Liston has looked very impressive and he probably doesn't look like he is battling because he is so smooth at getting himself back into position. I have been very impressed how Liston can look out of position one second and he is immediately back up and into position.

I have watched many games and I think it is you that needs a reality check. Not once did I say Liston wasn't 'as good as this person or that person' all I said was he has struggled lately and McCrimmon keeps throwing him back in there.

If you thought Boes was awful against Calgary you need to watch that game again. How about his last start in Swift Current? Yes, he is a terrible goalie, I don't know why he's even in the WHL!

Don't try to turn this into me knowing someone, I know a lot of players in the dub, I just happen to be a goaltender and put most of my focus on all of them around the league. Liston is a very good goaltender, he will go high in the draft, I like the kid. He does have flaws like every other goaltender. If you aren't one, I don't expect you to understand what I'm talking about but positioning is one small piece to the giant puzzle of goaltending.

lordstanley
12-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Wondering if this would be anough to pry Schenn away from Brandon

To Brandon
Lukas Sutter
Tim McGauley last year blades first pick in the bantam draft
1st round pick in 2011
2nd round pick in 2011

To Saskatoon
Brayden Schenn
Spencer Galbraith

Raider Believer
12-16-2010, 02:52 PM

This quote is truly hilarious. There is no way Brandon lands Ty Rattie. But then.... maybe I end up eating my words and you have the last laugh. .... an interesting scenario though.

Raider Believer
12-16-2010, 03:03 PM
If Marek Viedensky hadn't missed the past 6 games, the Blades would have 3 scorers in the top 10 in league scoring. Add that in with perhaps the most mobile defence in the league, I don't really think scoring is a huge issue this year and I don't think that would prevent them from moving past the second round.

The could use a 2nd line center to take some pressure off of young 17 yr old Brent Benson. However, a player such as Jimmy Bubnick or of that ilk would do the job.

Give your head a shake.:confused:

Sorry, I don't want to sound like a creeper, but .... with the amount of ice Siemens gets, you can hardly call the backend the most mobile in the league (cause the knock on Duncan is that he needs to get more mobile).
Also, I really like Benson and what he's shown so far. He's only gonna get better, way better. IMO he's a very good player and getting better. Those Sask Wheatland alumni are doing pretty good i.e. Benson, Ryan Murray et al.

Wheatie Pete
12-17-2010, 12:01 AM
I think that Schenn wil go to Spokane.
He will go for Reid Gow and 2011 & 2012 1st rounders> KM and Spokane have a connection for big trades. Cowen and Johnson are in their last years. Also they are hot right now and will keep it up with the offensive output of Schenn>
I also could see Glennie going to Kootnay they are a defensive minded team who need some scoring power and can cover up he defensive inadequacies.