PDA

View Full Version : No Rebels Booster Club

Shinyshoes
05-18-2005, 03:16 PM
The Application for an official Booster Club has been denied. After Careful planning, development of bylaws and structure, and after an inital meeting with some of the Rebels staff, who were quite pleased and excited about what we came to them with, Brent Sutter has declined our application to start an official Red Deer Rebels Booster Club.

According to the conversation i had with the Rebels office, Mr. Sutter said he has seen booster clubs in other organizations, both NHL And WHL and doesn't think the Rebels need to be associated with one.

I understand that Mr. Sutter was part of the movement to disban the last booster club, and i heard there were still some bad feelings over it, but I thought with the planning and Professionalism that went into the proposal, It would be a no-brainer.

I thought wrong.

Thanks to RDReb, and Tiny for their help with the proposal.

EDIT - For Spelling and Grammer (Bad spellers of the world Untie)

HAF
05-18-2005, 03:36 PM
I thought the group that came on the US trip were the boosters.
You guys sure had the enthusiasm and organization of a great booster club. I hope it all works out for you guys. I just dont understand why an organization wouldnt want a good booster club behind them???

Shinyshoes
05-18-2005, 04:01 PM
kind of....we were just a fan bus, but it was a trip we organized to show the rebels that we were ready to have an official booster club. I organized that all myself (with some help from RDREB and Tiny). No booster club involved.

Speaking of bus trips, HAF, you comming to Red Deer This year??

Kristi
05-18-2005, 11:14 PM
I'm sorry to hear you guys were denied a booster club. I hope that in the future you guys will try again.

Nothing he can do about you crazy fans supporting the team!!

See you all in the fall! I can't wait!

Kristi

HAF
05-19-2005, 06:13 AM
kind of....we were just a fan bus, but it was a trip we organized to show the rebels that we were ready to have an official booster club. I organized that all myself (with some help from RDREB and Tiny). No booster club involved.

Speaking of bus trips, HAF, you comming to Red Deer This year??

I'm waiting for the schedule to come out. If it falls into a slow time at work the chances are pretty good that I will.

frontrow fan
05-19-2005, 12:34 PM
I have mixed feelings about this... Personally I'd like to know "WHY" Sutter doesn't want a Booster Club in Red Deer. I think those of us that were interested in persuing the idea have a right to know what his problem with it is. Just because there were problems before, doesn't mean there will be again. As a season ticket holder, I think we have a right to know what the issues were and are now... I've heard that there were incidents in the past as well, although I've never heard what they were, but by the same token, that was alot of years ago, the team is different, the fans, I think for the most part, are well behaved, (there's a few in every crowd...) and the front office staff is different...this just doesn't sit all that well with me...just my opinion... :confused: :mad: :skeptical

Bada Bing
05-20-2005, 02:18 PM
I totally agree with Frontrow. I find his denial very disappointing and would like to know his real reasons! :turkey:

tazndevil
05-20-2005, 03:24 PM
I thought you were a shoo-in to form a formal Booster Club. Hopefully this is only a minor setback for you guys, and you will be able to form one in the near future. It will be interesting to see if Sutter says why didn't allow it to be formed.

I am hoping that you still do all your bus trips, and come down to Calgary (Airdrie and Lacombe in the pre-season) so we can see you more often this season.

In my opinion, if you can still do your bus trips, and continue to be loud and supportive, then i think Mr. Sutter will realize that you alreay are a 'Booster Club'.

Looking forward to next season already!!

Taz

frontrow fan
05-20-2005, 03:35 PM
Shiney....can you tell us what his reasons for "denying" the booster club are?
Does he figure this will be a problem for the players? I've heard some coaches don't like the time that the kids have to put into public appearances, it takes too much time away from the "hockey"...
I don't know ...this kinda ticks me off!!!
I "love" Rebels hockey.... and we pay alot of money for season tickets, and if I want to participate in a booster club...supporting HIS team...I don't understand what the problem is..... just my opinion... was really looking forward to the club!! :( :confused:

Shinyshoes
05-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Shiney....can you tell us what his reasons for "denying" the booster club are?
You already know as much as I do. Sorry....

Tinner
05-25-2005, 06:06 AM
Here's my take,

1. Brent is a control freak, and if he doesn't have control of something, he will not like it or support it.

2. It can be seen as an added distraction for the players in the sense that the club may ask for their support in its normal activities.

Now with that said, I think its sad that this has happened, but I still think if there is interest from the fans side of things, there certainly can be an unnofficial booster club. Things won't be as easy, but it can be done and if it is done professionallly (and I know Shiny will/would do) and Brent can see that it is something he should be involved with, maybe it can evolve into the "official" status.

RDRebelsfan
06-08-2005, 07:28 PM
can't you guys just have your own unofficial booster club?

frontrow fan
06-09-2005, 11:10 AM
What would be the differences between an official booster club and an unofficial one? I assume we would not have the players available for public appearances and things of that nature. I hope Shiney and the crew is still looking into this, and forging ahead.... I really would like to be apart of a club here in Red Deer...

( I like summer....but...I LOVE hockey!!!) :groovy:

Shinyshoes
06-09-2005, 06:21 PM
What would be the differences between an official booster club and an unofficial one? I assume we would not have the players available for public appearances and things of that nature. I hope Shiney and the crew is still looking into this, and forging ahead....

The biggest difference is the advertising. If the Rebels are not willing to help us out, then we cant even have a table or membership drive or anything at the centrium during games.

Also add that no players would be made available for our events.

Also add that the rebels would not provide us with a parent contact list or a billet contact list (which was going to be the main goal of the club, to involve the parents and billets more in the fan experience and part of the community, rather than just being at the game "Because my kid plays here")

Now I challenge you to come up with events that the "booster club" can accomplish. Sure we can do bus trips (which we already, and will continue to do), and a BBQ/Tailgate party again, but beyond that, there just isnt much an unofficial booster club can accomplish without the support and help of the Rebels Club.

I'm all for helping / heading up/ whatever with an unofficial club, but i dont want to go threw the trouble of doing all of it if we arent going to get anything out of it.

Thoughts?

RDRebelsfan
06-09-2005, 07:32 PM
The biggest difference is the advertising. If the Rebels are not willing to help us out, then we cant even have a table or membership drive or anything at the centrium during games.

Also add that no players would be made available for our events.

Also add that the rebels would not provide us with a parent contact list or a billet contact list (which was going to be the main goal of the club, to involve the parents and billets more in the fan experience and part of the community, rather than just being at the game "Because my kid plays here")

Now I challenge you to come up with events that the "booster club" can accomplish. Sure we can do bus trips (which we already, and will continue to do), and a BBQ/Tailgate party again, but beyond that, there just isnt much an unofficial booster club can accomplish without the support and help of the Rebels Club.

I'm all for helping / heading up/ whatever with an unofficial club, but i dont want to go threw the trouble of doing all of it if we arent going to get anything out of it.

Thoughts?

How about a ball hockey or some sort of tournament? Or some sort of raffle or something?

Flathead
06-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Like others I'm confused as to why coach Sutter doesn't want a booster club? A new one was started and promoted in Swift last year. Coach Dean and some other Broncos staff called a "fan" meeting after a game last year and the "Champions of the Broncos" booster club was started. Dean wanted to hear what the fans wanted and showed that he wants to do everything he can to help the Broncos stay in Swift. He said there's nothing to be alarmed about but never wants it to get to the point where there is concern. Just thought I would share that to show a different coaches opinion. I thought it was awesome of Dean to let the fans know that they truely are a part of Broncos hockey.

SLASH
06-10-2005, 10:40 AM
We need to start a Junior Hockey Junkies Chapter in Red Deer.

Shinyshoes
06-10-2005, 05:06 PM
We need to start a Junior Hockey Junkies Chapter in Red Deer.

THAT is something i want to talk to you about durring the first Calgary/Red Deer game this upcomming season.

If you want to start talks sooner, E-mail me.

Sgt. Zeek
06-10-2005, 05:31 PM
That is a discusion that Shiny & I have had already. I would love to help out with that, & I'm sure RDReb would also be interested. I'm sure we could get together & work out the details.

rdreb
06-10-2005, 09:54 PM
You can count me on that also :groovy: :groovy:

when do we start

CatFan
06-10-2005, 11:03 PM
This idea has occurred to me before that it would be cool or have more organized trips and events, and maybe all of the Alberta teams could be tied together in this. Sorry your idea didn't fly with Sutter Shiney, knowing you I'm sure it was a great proposal!

Shinyshoes
06-11-2005, 03:41 PM
See what you started Slash? Give me a call, or an e-mail and we can start to work out the details.

SLASH
06-13-2005, 08:08 AM
I'll be in touch! Stay tuned!

Nature Boy
06-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Hey slash that is a great idea. Since the Rebels can't have a booster club we should have this chapter. I would love to be a member of the junkies Shiny. You can count me in and it would be great to have a chapter in Red Deer

:bounce: Lets do it