PDA

View Full Version : Wild night at the Brandt Center

patsdude114
12-04-2010, 02:11 AM
Well what can be said about this game..... well alot of good things happened & alot of very bad things happened. Really a tale of the Pats last 2 seasons.

I was very impressed in the Bidvelski vs McIlrath fight, as soon as i seen who he was fighting i was expecting the worst but in all fairness & not being a homer at all I do feel that Bidvelski got the best of McIlrath in quality of punches especially for the size difference. I also like how both guys undid there chin straps before the fight so the helmets fell off once the punches were starting to fly.

Tonight was probably the worst game i have seen Myles Bell play in a Pats uniform. It showed in the score board with him being a -5 also even though Schneider was a -4 his play wasnt nearly as bad as Bell's actually i still thought Schneider had a ok game but he has been much better as well.

That penalty shot call tonight i havent seen that call made in over 7 or 8 yrs now. The ref did get the call right, if it had been in the netural zone it would of only been a interference call but in the offensive zone its a automatic penalty shot. Kudos for the ref at getting the call right, even tho he had a quick meeting with the linesmen 1st I think to make sure the call was going to be right.

I also think the turning point in the whole game was right after that Penalty Shot goal. Hunt elected to put out the young inexperienced line in Jung/Reider/Scheidl after the emotions were flying high on the bench from the penalty shot goal by Weal. I think the best line that should of went out there was a more experienced vetern line. The Reddin/Mitchell/Stephenson line would of been best, u have 2 guys who work extremely hard & never give up. That bench needed to be calmed down & throwing out such young kids right after was a terrible coaching mistake. Heck even if Weal was tired could of put Reddin at C between Ashton & Frazee as they got a rest during the set up of the penalty shot.

I am very impressed with how much Blidstrand has improved lately. Looks like him getting his 1st goal (scored in back to back games out in BC) has given him more confidence. I havent seen him try to be so physical in a game before until tonight. He caught Beach with a hip check in open ice, he gave Howden a cheap shot elbow (which was a penalty) to the back of the head also in open ice, plus he nailed Hood along the boards as well early in the 1st. There is a reason Blidstrand has been paired up with Davidson the last while, he is a talented Dman just needed the right push & right direction in his defensive game.

Also i must say what a shot by Frazee tonight on his 2nd goal, as well i believe it was Hood who unleashed a cannon of his own off the bar late in the 3rd period. Tonight may not of been a picture perfect game by either team but as a fan of "The Game of Hockey" it was a great end to end style of game which showed off alot of skill on both sides.

Congrats to Ouellette on his 1st career goal tonight as well. He looked like a seasoned vetern with his soft touch from a feed from Weal.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-04-2010, 01:46 PM
these are never the type of games coaches like, not that there have been (m)any of those with this team. Let see, we have had 11 goals against in one game, a couple 7 goal games, three 6 goal games, countless 5 goal games, and now a 9 goal game to add to our resume. And nothing looks to be/will be done? Personally Im just wondering what its going to take to get a coaching change. I know they dont want to pay for a third coach this season(whose fault is that?), but how many games have we lost purely because of a bad coaching fit? We seem to have an aggressive offensive type team, but we are playing hunt's out of date, passive defensive system featuring the 'dump and change', and our horribly unorganized powerplay.

Am I the only one noticing that other teams seem to have the same types of set plays on their powerplay, while none of our PP goals are the same? We have alot of talent on this team, but no organization in the offensive zone.

Id love to have someone like Molleken come back. At least if we are going to lose some games(which we would lose less), we will at least finish our checks for 60 minutes and drop the gloves more than once every three games.

west coast
12-04-2010, 02:51 PM
No team will ever win with giving up sooooooo many goals.Team defence wins games!! How does a team give up 31 shots and 9 goals. Easy! Too many easy goals against.Too many breakaways and odd man rushes.Perhaps, the defenceman dont have confidence in the forwards ,why else would they be rushing and pinching at every opportunity.Bell was a minus five but is capable of playing more defensively responsible.I find it shocking that Schneider played in the memorial cup last year.He just doesnt seem to have foot speed or have confidence to play tight man on man d,he doesnt seem to win many battles.Schneider is not what i expected in a 20 year old leader

patsdude114
12-04-2010, 03:29 PM
I dont think Schneider was much of the problem last night as he was playing with Bell alot. The 1st 4 goals given up Bell & Schneider were defensive partners & on both those breakaways Bell was the guy turning the puck over at our own blueline (well the 2nd breakaway goal was Weal & Bell got too close to each other at the blueline)

Bell just played a terrible game he was trying to do too much instead of keeping it simple & picking his spots when to jump into the play. He will have those types of games very few 17yr old Dmen play consistantly each & every night.

I agree so much with SAJ our PP is terrrible, does the only PP Hunt know how to teach is that Eberle/Weal switch?? Does Hunt even know that Eberle isnt here anymore?? Our PP our guys stand still & try to pass the puck around, SERIOUSLY is that a PP??? That is the players that is coaching how they are coached to run there PP.

We have the skill level up front to score we are just so poorly coached defensively that it just leads to giving up lots of goals. Example zero forecheck. Last night when MJ was playing with the lead all night theyd chip pucks in & send in 2 forecheckers low & 1 staying high slot to make us work to get to our own blueline. We dump the puck in send 1 forechecker in & put the other 2 forwards on the blueline & back up as they come out.