PDA

View Full Version : Blades after Eakin, not Schenn apparently

Hockey Spy
12-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Several sources have indicated that the Blades are making a serious push for Swift Current Broncos forward Cody Eakin and not Brayden Schenn. I'm really not sure what the asking price is or what Swift Current is wanting from Saskatoon but I do know from another team source that Swift Current is wanting atleast 2 top list players and and/or an established player(s) in the 93-95 groups. Leads me to think that it may cost Tim MaGauley and Dietz or someone such as that.

It will be interesting come trade deadline or before the trade freeze on December 15, 2010 if something happens with this.

Toswammi
12-08-2010, 12:07 PM
What is interesting is this isn't the first Eakin rumor I have heard this week (cough Portland). You would have to think the price tag is high IF the Broncos trade him (high picks, high end forward/goaltending talent, etc)

wango tango
12-08-2010, 12:38 PM
eakin would be a good fit for saskatoon. but what is his health? have heard he's nursing injury/injuries.

Trav
12-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Well I like both Schenn and Eakin, their price tag would be higher then guys like Bubnick or Ashton.

I would prefer Bubnick since the Blades would have a way bigger chance of getting him back next year then the others, plus the price tag like I said would be less but I certainly wouldn't complain if the Blades landed Schenn or Eakin.

How much would u see the Blades give up though for any of those players is kinda hard to answer. I like guys like Dietz whose turning in to a good d-man and he's only 17. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of teams asked for him for in a deal for one of their top players. I think he's one of the most under rated players on the team...I would give up Bews or Sutter in any deal. Might have to give up both.

sbtatter
12-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Several sources have indicated that the Blades are making a serious push for Swift Current Broncos forward Cody Eakin and not Brayden Schenn. I'm really not sure what the asking price is or what Swift Current is wanting from Saskatoon but I do know from another team source that Swift Current is wanting atleast 2 top list players and and/or an established player(s) in the 93-95 groups. Leads me to think that it may cost Tim MaGauley and Dietz or someone such as that.

It will be interesting come trade deadline or before the trade freeze on December 15, 2010 if something happens with this.
Hopefully Eakin's price is high, because Schenn will be worth even more then! 4 points in his first 2 games, line up your offers contenders!!!

SectionNDeserter
12-09-2010, 06:35 AM
4 points in his first 2 games, line up your offers contenders!!!Hehe, and hope that teams just look at the box scores too. In Red Deer he took a stupid offensive zone penalty to put his team down a goal, and had one of their 2nd liners go around him like he wasn't even there (to go with his 1g 1a).

sbtatter
12-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Hehe, and hope that teams just look at the box scores too. In Red Deer he took a stupid offensive zone penalty to put his team down a goal, and had one of their 2nd liners go around him like he wasn't even there (to go with his 1g 1a).

Nice try to devalue him when he's playing his 1st game back down in junior after 3 months in the bigs! Schenn's way more than just about the stats, he makes his linemates so much better, and he also just happens to accumulate a lot of points. Just imagine how good he's going to be when he's back after the WJC and focused. Any of the top teams basically write their ticket to the conference finals by adding him.

SectionNDeserter
12-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Just imagine how good he's going to be when he's back after the WJC and focused. Any of the top teams basically write their ticket to the conference finals by adding him.I hope for Brandon's sake you are right, because I think his heart and his brain were still in LA for his first game back in the WHL.

I realize that in the big picture he is an elite player in this league, but the dozen or so times I have seen him play in Red Deer, his performance is always average to below average. While it would be nice to see Red Deer make a bid for another elite player, I just worry that they might overpay for a few months of service from a player that can't seem to bring his A game to the Enmax Centrium for whatever reason.

On a note related to the original topic at hand, I have seen Eakin come through Red Deer a few times, and almost single-handedly roll them.

wango tango
12-09-2010, 10:54 AM
going to be lots of talk between now and jan 10.

big problem is few clear sellers, lots of possible buyers (like the whole western conference).

some gm's won't blink and not pay an inflated price, others won't want to disrupt their team chemistry.

i find the eakin, or schenn rumors interesting. do those teams really want to send the message to their fans that they're giving up the season? can't see that in brandon, mccrimmon's too competitive. swift is a small market team and needs the playoffs to break even or turn a profit.

scruffy1
12-09-2010, 12:41 PM
I think your right on WT.

Trav
12-09-2010, 06:30 PM
While McCrimmon is a competitve guy I just don't think he'd ignore a trade offer that would help the team in the future, I don't see him doing what Parker did last year by refusing to trade Eberle and Tuebert. If Schenn is a Wheat King after the trade deadline I'll be surprised.

patsdude114
12-09-2010, 08:11 PM
While McCrimmon is a competitve guy I just don't think he'd ignore a trade offer that would help the team in the future, I don't see him doing what Parker did last year by refusing to trade Eberle and Tuebert. If Schenn is a Wheat King after the trade deadline I'll be surprised.

The only difference from this years Wheat Kings season & the Pats season last year come trade deadline is the Wheat Kings actually have a chance at a playoff spot, & have the talent around Schenn to make a run at as high as 4th in the conference easy especially with Schenn in the lineup.

Now i do see Schenn being traded but we all know how important playoff hockey is in junior to help bring along the younger guys & to truely show them what it takes to win. Look at MJ for example, there playoff series last year has helped that team tremendously this year, players like Howden, McFaull, McIlrath, Edwards have all took alot out of there playoff series last year & are all excelling this season cuz of it.

Keeping a guy like Schenn & Glennie around could easily give the WKs a shot at getting into the 2nd round of the playoffs which would help there young team greatly.

Just saying it can work out both ways. But i still see Schenn being moved. I think 1 of the biggest problems is with these very elite players is that the GMs think they are worth too much then what is being offered then they think that maybe they can just help the current group of players instead. Guess time will tell if KM's ego gets in the way or not.

wango tango
12-09-2010, 09:26 PM
mccrimmon thinks his hockey team first, ego has nothing to do with it. it's no accident the wheat kings have been a solid franchise for a long time.

if the right deal can be done for schenn mccrimmon will do what is right for the brandon wheat kings. if the price isn't right, forget about it, mccrimmon will not give a player of schenn's calibre away.

i look at the setoguchi deal a few seasons back as a reasonable comparison. molleken dealt him for the rights to elliott, and a first round pick that became siemens. would molleken trade mcgauley and the blades first round pick in the 2011 bantam draft for schenn?

would he do the same for eakin instead?

what price would bubnick in calgary be?

i'd like to see the blades add a forward who can be on one of the top two lines. bubnick, schenn, eakin, glennie, weal, and ashton are all going to get their tires kicked by a lot of teams.

Crush Kill Destroy
12-10-2010, 07:48 AM
mccrimmon thinks his hockey team first, ego has nothing to do with it. it's no accident the wheat kings have been a solid franchise for a long time.

if the right deal can be done for schenn mccrimmon will do what is right for the brandon wheat kings. if the price isn't right, forget about it, mccrimmon will not give a player of schenn's calibre away.

McCrimmon will always attempt to do what is right for his hockey team, and not just with a mind-set toward the current season. He clearly maintains a vision at least 3 or 4 years out from today.

He will not trade his prime assets unless he gets a proper offer. If he ends up having to keep them, he will be prepared to make other deals to improve his hockey club.

twentyone
12-10-2010, 08:57 AM
I really dont see the wheat Kings trading Schenn. They have a ligitimate shot at making the playoffs without Schenn but with him they could finish as high as 5th in the conference. Once in the playoffs anything can happen. If I was KM I might even be looking to add a defencmen or 2 at the deadline to improve my team. Take a look at the Eastern conference and you have the top 4 of Blades, Rebels, Kootney, MH. after that its wide open in my opinion (except for the Pats and Raiders).

I take Lethbridge 2 years ago. They were plagued with injuries and like Brandon played most of the year without there star Zach Boychuk (injuried through November and WJC) they really didn't have his service until mid January. Needless to say he came back healthy, the team started to gel and play well down the stretch making the playoffs as a 7th seed.

That same playoffs saw Brandon finishing 3rd in the conference and got favorable matchups to make it to the 3rd round. They faced a young team in Kootney (who really overacheived all year) rnd 1. and b/c Lethbridge upset Saskatoon got to face a 5th seed MH in rnd 2.

Once into the playoffs anything can happen and playoff experience in the dub is huge. Saskatoon that year had a very good team but as they enterd the playoffs they had no experience throughout their lineup and it showed.

All that said I am very excited for the second half of the season. I really think this could be Saskatoons year. If they can stay healthy and shore up a couple needs I think the Blades are the cream of crop.