PDA

View Full Version : Are we ever going to be a contender?

Pats33
12-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I understand teams go through lean years and all, but I can't remember the Pats having a successful playoff run in my life time. One team that I always compare the present teams to is the Pats of the late 90s. Stuart, Nabakov, Holden, Lysak, Petrovicky, Jackman, Morris. This probably has more to do with it being during my childhood so the players seemed more like Gods. Even that team come playoffs choked. Holden's cutting his wrist, shoddy goaltending...ect. When we had Harding we had no Firepower. Even the last few years with firepower on paper the team couldn't get it done. Teams like Calgary(forget this season) Red Deer, London, Kitchener, consistently have teams in the Top 10 in the country. It has to be a cultural thing. The Pats have a long tradition but it doesn't translate into championships won. It's tough, but I'm use to it. Leafs fan. 2001 Mem Cup is give and take. Yes they played great in the tourney, but they got kicked out in the 1st round of the whl playoffs to calgary. Is Parker relinguishing the ropes of GM going to maybe change all this?

booboo
12-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Not in the foreseable future. They had their chance to stock up last year but blew due to total mismanagement. Hard to feel sorry for the team unless the Parkers sell the team to someone who knows something about hockey.:p

patsdude114
12-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Im going to keep this short & sweet mainly about the last comment about not feeling sorry for the team cuz of mismanagment...

I feel sorry for the players the most, as they r the 1s busting there asses & doing the best that they can with what skill level we have here. Yes trading Eberle & Tuebert could of helped stocked players for this year & the yrs to come but that didnt happen.

I dont feel sorry for the Parkers at all, they had the cards there & they failed to deal the cards correctly knowing that we had no chance to go all in anyways.

west coast
12-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Interesting topic. Today ,the Pats stand second to last in the standings.The team is without a first round bantam draft for the 2011 draft.There must be a directional shift in scouting and management.Lang is responsible for building this team for the future.One would think that the Pats will be sellers in the upcoming Jan 10 trade deadline.They have alot of assets that will appeal to teams in the playoff hunt.The Pats have to do a better job of scouting! They need to acquire more prospects for their future.The team should move some vets for younger talent and prospects.The youngsters on the team should play more.They need to develop their younger talent.Teams win with their 19 and 20 year olds.This group is not winning so lets start the rebuild right now.Lets put a plan in place to build for the future and make the Pats mighty again

witness
12-09-2010, 09:38 AM
There seems to be a lot of moaning about not having a first round selection this year. History has shown that the Pats first round selections have been hit and miss. Last years selection seems to be a home run, so if history is to be repeated ...

The Pats fortunes revolve around the successful development of drafted players. This is just first round selections:
2005 - Colten Teubert - solid selection
2006 - Brett Miller - I think he has played a total of 20 WHL games
2007 - Dominic Favreau - never did turn into a scorer
2008 - Myles Bell - late developer, great selection
2009 - Chandler Stephenson - I think should be a servicable WHL player
2010 - Morgan Klimchuk - from all reports and performance at training camp, this kid is a stud

The Pats are in the position they are because of poor draft years of 2005, 2006 and 2007 (that would be the current 18, 19 & 20 year olds). Looking at the current Pats roster there is a grand total of 4 players from the three draft years (Mitchell - '06, 2nd, Ketlo - '06, 10th, Weal - '07, 4th, Reider - '07, 6th).

The 2008 draft year looks Ok with Bell, Borstmeyer, Stevenson, Sagen and Pavkovich. The 2009 draft year is weak. Parker traded away Balog and Logan. Other than Stephenson and Peel, it doesn't look like there is a lot of depth. I feel that this is the age group that Lang needs to address.

Here would be my trade wish list:
a couple of servicable 18 year olds
a couple of 16 year olds with potential
a mid 2nd and 3rd round pick for 2011

Raider Believer
12-09-2010, 10:20 AM
There seems to be a lot of moaning about not having a first round selection this year. History has shown that the Pats first round selections have been hit and miss. Last years selection seems to be a home run, so if history is to be repeated ...

The Pats fortunes revolve around the successful development of drafted players. This is just first round selections:
2005 - Colten Teubert - solid selection
2006 - Brett Miller - I think he has played a total of 20 WHL games
2007 - Dominic Favreau - never did turn into a scorer
2008 - Myles Bell - late developer, great selection
2009 - Chandler Stephenson - I think should be a servicable WHL player
2010 - Morgan Klimchuk - from all reports and performance at training camp, this kid is a stud

The Pats are in the position they are because of poor draft years of 2005, 2006 and 2007 (that would be the current 18, 19 & 20 year olds). Looking at the current Pats roster there is a grand total of 4 players from the three draft years (Mitchell - '06, 2nd, Ketlo - '06, 10th, Weal - '07, 4th, Reider - '07, 6th).

The 2008 draft year looks Ok with Bell, Borstmeyer, Stevenson, Sagen and Pavkovich. The 2009 draft year is weak. Parker traded away Balog and Logan. Other than Stephenson and Peel, it doesn't look like there is a lot of depth. I feel that this is the age group that Lang needs to address.

Here would be my trade wish list:
a couple of servicable 18 year olds
a couple of 16 year olds with potential
a mid 2nd and 3rd round pick for 2011

The three big horses, Borstmeyer, Pavkovich and Bell are guys to build a team around. Only Swift Current, Vancouver, Everett & Saskatoon have such an embarrassment of riches .... young defensemen.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-09-2010, 01:12 PM
eh...I think the pats will become contenders sooner than later...but im talking a few years later if at all. I have liked some of the moves lang has made, but it has yet to be seen whether he is actually given full reign, especially since hunt is still kicking around. Quite frankly we have some of the better talent in the league. The execution is what is holding us back.

We have some solid youth though, I think we can turn a contender out of it...but this coming trade deadline is important. We need a complete culture shift, and the coaching staff has definitely run its course, even if the parkers have to pay three coaches for one season....whose fault is that anyways?

Behind all the crap, there are some things to like about this team though.

west coast
12-09-2010, 03:13 PM
The number one pick that the Pats gave up in the Ashton deal is looking like a top 2 pick and one would think that would be a bonafide blue chipper.It also looks like the team may or may not be looking for another import .Roznik doesnt seem to be adjusting to the north american game very well.It is hard to give him a grade as he barely plays.

patsdude114
12-09-2010, 03:41 PM
I agree with SAJ there are somethings to like about this team, yes it may not be alot but there is some definate promise to a few young kids. But 1st off before i say much more to that Raider fans comment..... those would be the worst guys to build the team around only creditable guy u mentioned was Bell who does have skill. Altho i will say Borstmayer has looked very good since coming back to the team after his conditioning/confidence stint in the SJHL.

I think 2 of the best lines Hunt has put together this season has been Reddin/Stephenson/Frazee & a new line of Schiedl/Weal/Ouellette neither line combo's include Ashton not saying Ashton hasnt been playing good just Ashton really doesnt fit into how this team is built this year. Yes his big body is great & his compete level has really been a plus.

Stephenson has the brightest spotlight on him with this current roster. This kid has showed some real promise when playing with some older guys. Schiedl i believe has added some good depth & skill into our lineup. Ouellette has always looked good when given the ice time he needs, he has looked bad at times when playing on the 4th line & not playing a regular shift.

Weal is pretty much the only elite skill level we have (well after Ashton gets dealt) Weal at times looks like he hasnt been ready to carry the team on his back but then other times he seems to manage quite well. We all know what kind of a return Weal could bring back in a trade but i wouldnt bet on him being dealt at all. He is a small skilled player who most likely will be playing his 20 yr old season in the WHL just mainly due to his size. So why would we trade a player whos skill level can help develop other players & give us a threat at all times down the middle. Also his compete level is prob in the top 5 in the whole league among star players.

The biggest promise for the Pats is Morgan Klimchuk this kid prob could of easily played on the pats this season as a 15 yr old & still had been playing 2nd line minutes. This is the kid u build ur franchise around, Klimchuk & Stephenson could become a real dual together but not under Hunt.

This team will never be anything until we bring in a coach that understands today's game & the need for transition. I really wish Parker hadnt thrown Derkatch into the fire so quickly. When i say that i mean, he should of been an assistant coach for a season before being named the Head Coach. He needed to be brought through the learning curve from midget to WHL. But it was a tough spot for the Pats as they werent looking for an assistant coach at the time. Parker could of just promoted Perkins to Head Coach & brought in Derkatch to learn the WHL game (be it for a future with the Pats of a future in the WHL) Either way that season was a set back for the Pats as a franchise to this date.

Look at it how u like but that year turned out terrible (kinda like how this year is) then we fired Derkatch & brought back the same coach Derkatch replaced. Arrrgh another fine move by the Parkers, & Parker's reasoning behind it was "that the Pats would of gave Hunt a contract extention if he hadnt left for the NHL anyways" really.... seriously..... that was his reasoning behind bringing Hunt back??? God right terrible why didnt Parker just say "hey he is 1 of my best friends & i dont turn my back on my friends" After the Derkatch firing it was a chance for the Parker's to correct things & bring in a fresh face with new ideas & heck maybe even a proven track record, but no Parker chose what he knew to bring back a guy who he is friends with why change things up right Parker when things never change in the front office.

One day maybe Russ Parker will understand that in the sports world sometimes owning something too long isnt a good thing. Especially when you havent accomplished anything on the ice. Yes the Parker's had saved this franchise from its laughing stock, but they are also slowly putting it back into the laughing stock around the league by the way his son had run things for 15 yrs ill be honest Brent Parker did a good job up until the year we hosted the Memorial Cup, after that it has been a tail spin downwards in player development. Outside of a few elite players we have had Harding, Pyett, Kalus (for 1 yr) Eberle the Pats have failed to develop players with the potential. For example players such as Ian Duval, Justin Bernhardt, Ryan McDonald, Craig Schria all went on to be dealt & then later excelled in there new surrounding as they were given a chance to play a role that they were expected to play when they were drafted. The 2008/09 season the Pats could of had 4 very quality 20 yr olds to choose from for there 3 spots, players they could of said were drafted from day 1 as a Regina Pat.

The Pats will have a hard time ever being anything more as long as the Parker's own this franchise. As the Parker's just havent changed in how they run things since the lockout. The game has changed & the Parker's havent, business is always changing & the Parker's (who claim to be business people) have not changed as the game has.

Well i have said my peace, I didnt plan to go on like this but the more I got into the more I had to get off my chest in a rant.

In the mean time i am a die hard Pats fan (feel sorry for me I know) & ill always say GO PATS GO!

my edit just wanted to add a couple notes.....

The year we hosted the Memorial Cup we ended up trading away alot of out future with guys like Shawn Belle, Ryan Keller & Paul Brown, that i do believe is a big part of the reason why we are still hurting today. Those guys were top elite guys (ok minus Brown but he was still a pretty talented kid) those players would of helped bring along other players which ultimately would of been passed on to the next group of kids. That year was a huge blow to our franchise as a whole.

Also want to point out 1 of the few bright spots this year in player development & kudos goes to Shaun Sutter for this. Ricard Blidstrand has made HUGE improvements since the start of the year. Watching Sutter coach this kid shift after shift be it good or bad shifts Blidstrand has been 1 of the best Pats as of late. He has always had the tools there just needed to be guided & coached in the right direction. His foot speed is amazing, he makes hard crisp passes on a nightly basis (just too bad not many of our players can receive the passes) Im sure the Philadelphia Flyers are very pleased with his development in north america the past 2 months & all that falls onto Coach Sutter.

witness
12-10-2010, 09:13 AM
I love this. some good intelligent discussion.

I think 2 of the best lines Hunt has put together this season has been Reddin/Stephenson/Frazee & a new line of Schiedl/Weal/Ouellette

Agreed. I thought that Reddin was a great influence on the 16 year old. The biggest problem was, these lines would out perform the lines that contained Mitchell and Ashton. Hunt is an established vetern guy. He is going to play the vets come hell or high water.

Borstmeyer, Pavkovich and Bell are guys to build a team around.

Agreed. As a coach, I am of the opinion that you build from the backend out. Borstmeyer will top out as a 5th or 6th defensemen, but Pavkovich has potential to be a top quality shut down guy. Bell is an elite player that will only get better. Add in an offensive guy in Peel (who's game reminds me of Ryan Ellis), another top end guy in Burroughs and the wild card in Williams, and the Pats are stocked for the next few years.
Lang is in a position to move Davidson. The Pats have to go through a youth movement. I have spoken to an Oilers scout and the Oilers are really high on him. They don't have a ton of depth in the organization on the backend and would really like to find a place for him next year. Davidson would be a great addition to any contending team.

The biggest problem that the Pats will have is that they can only keep 2 or 3 of next year's 16 year olds. Klimchuk and Burroughs are givens (in my opinion, both would have made this years team as 15 year olds). Who is the 3rd? Colby Williams? Ty McLean? Who on most nights is the best player on the Yorkton midget team at 15. Brett Harris? Another of those small skilled guys. Alec McCrea? If he commits to the WHL. If he does, in 2 years time we will be talking about the possiblity of 3 Pats be choosen in the first two rounds of the NHL draft (Klimchuk, Burroughs and McCrea).

there are somethings to like about this team, yes it may not be alot but there is some definate promise to a few young kids

Again, agreed. There is not much of an upside to this year's team. In my opinion, they won't make the playoffs. If Lang keeps the course and doesn't do something stupid (like trading away 15 year olds & draft picks), the Pats will be middle of the pack next year and contenders the year after.

Right now the Pats have 18 ,19 year olds just keeping a roster spot warm for the younger guys.

west coast
12-10-2010, 02:08 PM
I totally agree with Witness post.The older players on team especially the 19 and 20 year old players are keeping spots warm for the younger players.The youth movement should start right now.I like the young talent on team especially among the defenceman.The forward group has some bright young skill and finesse and well as players that play with an edge.I saw a post from Patsdude that claimed Sutter was the key to Blidstrands success.Blidstrand is an intelligent player ,he recognized that the north american game was a little different than the Euro game.He is definately the most improved player on the team.Isnt Sutter in the same boat as Hunt.? The record is not good and the goals against is atrocious.Could Sutter be the new coach?I think that the club needs to find an established coach that can bring in a whole new sytem and culture.

witness
12-10-2010, 03:11 PM
And a deal is done.

As per the Pats website
Regina, Saskatchewan – Regina Pats General Manager Chad Lang announced today that the Regina Pats have sent 19 year old forward, Carter Ashton and a 2012 3rd round WHL bantam draft pick to the Tri-City Americans in exchange for forward Tanner Olstad, forward Nils Moser, a 1st round pick in the 2011 WHL Bantam draft as well as a 2nd and 5th round pick in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft.
17 year old Nils Moser is in his 2nd season with the Americans and has played 20 games so far this season. He was selected by the Americans in the 2nd round of the 2008 WHL Bantam Draft. Moser was also with the team during their run to the WHL Finals this past spring
18 year old Tanner Olstad is in his 1st full season with the Americans and has played 20 games

My question is how do you get 2010 picks if the draft is already over??

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-10-2010, 11:01 PM
so far a great start to the deadline. We are once again the first ones to get the ball rolling, as I have always liked that quality in a general manager.

Now is where it gets tougher. Who is next? Do we keep Mitchell and Davidson for next year? Do we package Frazee to a contender near the end of the deadline? Which players get lost in the 'numbers'?

patsdude114
12-11-2010, 12:39 AM
I totally agree with Witness post.The older players on team especially the 19 and 20 year old players are keeping spots warm for the younger players.The youth movement should start right now.I like the young talent on team especially among the defenceman.The forward group has some bright young skill and finesse and well as players that play with an edge.I saw a post from Patsdude that claimed Sutter was the key to Blidstrands success.Blidstrand is an intelligent player ,he recognized that the north american game was a little different than the Euro game.He is definately the most improved player on the team.Isnt Sutter in the same boat as Hunt.? The record is not good and the goals against is atrocious.Could Sutter be the new coach?I think that the club needs to find an established coach that can bring in a whole new sytem and culture.

I dont know where abouts u sit when u attend Pats games but from where i sit in 219 I see coach Sutter working the most with players & Blidstrand is a guy Sutter has coached alot too over the past 2 months. Each & every shift it seems Sutter is even patting Blidstrand on the head/back or using his hands as a coaching tool to show what he should of done. He does alot of this with Blidstrand, Bell & Davidson the other guys seem more so down on the list.

As for the comment about isnt Sutter in the same boat as Hunt.... I would disagree I persoanlly think Sutter is a great young mind in the WHL but is held back due to Hunt's old scheme of things before lockout.

Agreed. As a coach, I am of the opinion that you build from the backend out. Borstmeyer will top out as a 5th or 6th defensemen, but Pavkovich has potential to be a top quality shut down guy. Bell is an elite player that will only get better. Add in an offensive guy in Peel (who's game reminds me of Ryan Ellis), another top end guy in Burroughs and the wild card in Williams, and the Pats are stocked for the next few years.
Lang is in a position to move Davidson. The Pats have to go through a youth movement. I have spoken to an Oilers scout and the Oilers are really high on him. They don't have a ton of depth in the organization on the backend and would really like to find a place for him next year. Davidson would be a great addition to any contending team.

Its not that i dont agree with building ur team from the backend out its just outside of Bell the 3 Dmen that were listed they will never be much more then a 4th to 6th guy. Bell is/will be considered a top Dmen in the WHL at 18/19yrs old but those other guys wont be nothing more then depth guys. Which is fine. Peel could turn into something special. I also really liked Burroughs in camp this kid will be very special in a Pats jersey he will without a doubt be a better all around guy the Peel will be.