PDA

View Full Version : Alex Petrovic

Philz
12-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Ok this kid is a giant out there, he is 6'4 and weighs 200lbs. Why is he playing like a 13 yr old playing in the WHL. Very disapointing in how he played last night agains the Rockets. Either harden the F*^* up or go play JR C some where.

SectionNDeserter
12-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Petrovic wasn't really good or bad in the game last night against the Rockets. I don't think he is ever going to be a particularly tough player--despite his size. He has developed into more of a mobile puck moving defenseman with good positioning. If you are looking for him to become an enforcer or something, prepare to be disappointed.

Dumba got a bunch of extra ice time in more situations with Archer out, and his defensive mistakes directly cost the Rebels a pair of goals. Weller was tough along the wall, but looked quite dainty and delicate in front of the net last night, which lead to him being -3. Also the forwards needed to be backchecking a LOT better than they were.

Red celtic
12-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Not sure last nights performance can be laid at the the feet of Alex Petrovic. As Section N said Weller was -3 over all and looked disinterested along with a number of our veteran players ie Kambeitz,Siwak and Borejko who were not mentally in the game. As for Petrovic not sure what you are talking about he could lumped in the above mentioned group but he has had a good year overall. I am sure Florida is happy to have him in the second round unlike the Rangers who took Dylan Mcllrath 10th overall.

patsdude114
12-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Not sure last nights performance can be laid at the the feet of Alex Petrovic. As Section N said Weller was -3 over all and looked disinterested along with a number of our veteran players ie Kambeitz,Siwak and Borejko who were not mentally in the game. As for Petrovic not sure what you are talking about he could lumped in the above mentioned group but he has had a good year overall. I am sure Florida is happy to have him in the second round unlike the Rangers who took Dylan Mcllrath 10th overall.

I dont get what ur saying there.... McIlrath is twice the Dman Petrovic is plus he is a intimidator back there. Guys on the rush will go down the other side that he isnt on cuz they are afraid of him. McIlrath will become a player like Pronger is with that mean egde & a guy who can still play the game.

Petrovic may have more offensive abilities but McIlrath is much better in his defensive zone. In a way they are kind of hard to compare to each other cuz they both play 2 totally different style of games. Also dont prove your point that Petrovic is a better Dman cuz he has a +11 compared to McIlrath's +2, MJ was a struggling team at the start of the year finding there way & RD was & still is quick outta the gate RD is a solid all around team, MJ is there now & still fine tuning there game.

I know its easy for a homer to say there Dman is better which i understand and get but as a outsider looking in, in my opinion McIlrath is much better.

SectionNDeserter
12-12-2010, 04:15 PM
I dont get what ur saying there.... McIlrath is twice the Dman Petrovic isMaybe from a toughness standpoint, but you may be exaggerating just a little. I think Petrovic will be a 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman in the NHL, but I think he is going to need 2 or 3 seasons in minor pro to refine his game before making the jump to the NHL.

McIlrath will become a player like Pronger is with that mean egde & a guy who can still play the game.At 18, Pronger had 77 points (and about as many goals as McIlrath will probably have points this season) in addition to being able to skate faster than McIlrath, and be probably every bit as tough. If he is going to be a guy with an edge that can still play, then I would say that for a guy drafted 10th overall, he is sure taking his time getting there...

The closest WHL player that I have seen play that is comparable to McIlrath, would be Wade Belak, although I think that Belak had far and away a heavier shot from the point, and was about twice as tough at that age. I think that what RC is getting at, is that if they could go back in time before the NHL draft last season, McIlrath doesn't go 10th overall (and going back further, Lance Ward doesn't go 10th overall, and even further back, Wade Belak probably doesn't go 12th overall).

Red celtic
12-12-2010, 06:43 PM
I dont get what ur saying there.... McIlrath is twice the Dman Petrovic is plus he is a intimidator back there. Guys on the rush will go down the other side that he isnt on cuz they are afraid of him. McIlrath will become a player like Pronger is with that mean egde & a guy who can still play the game.

Petrovic may have more offensive abilities but McIlrath is much better in his defensive zone. In a way they are kind of hard to compare to each other cuz they both play 2 totally different style of games. Also dont prove your point that Petrovic is a better Dman cuz he has a +11 compared to McIlrath's +2, MJ was a struggling team at the start of the year finding there way & RD was & still is quick outta the gate RD is a solid all around team, MJ is there now & still fine tuning there game.

I know its easy for a homer to say there Dman is better which i understand and get but as a outsider looking in, in my opinion McIlrath is much better.

Personally I don't see the Pronger comparison McIlrath other than size Pronger was a legitimit top 5 pick whare as McIlrath was not in the top 20 for most of the so called pundents. Is he a better player than Petro time will tell but being a homer allows me to take or leave your opinion. I will leave you to guess what I think of your opinion.