PDA

View Full Version : CHL Announces Emergency Replacement Goaltender For Kelowna Rockets

eecliff
05-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Toronto - The Canadian Hockey League announced today that permission has been granted to the Kelowna Rockets to add an emergency replacement goaltender to their roster for the MasterCard Memorial Cup which opens Saturday, May 21, 2005 in London, Ontario.

Mike Wall of Telkwa, B.C., a member of the Everett Silvertips, will be added to the WHL Champion Kelowna roster as an emergency replacement goaltender and will serve strictly in a back-up capacity to the Rockets current starter Kristofer Westblom. Wall will not be permitted to play unless an injury occurs to Westblom. The Memorial Cup Games Committee reserves the right, should Westblom suffer an injury, to have an independent medical examination performed before Wall is permitted to play.

Kelowna's regular starting goaltender, Derek Yeomans, was injured during the WHL Championship Series. Yeomans will travel with the Rockets to London and should he be medically cleared to play during the MasterCard Memorial Cup, he will be activated immediately and replace Wall on Kelowna's active roster

fightstrap50
05-18-2005, 09:20 PM
well i guess good for them. I still dont think they should have been able to take another WHL goalie though. The ICE never got to and I dont think they asked. however the one difference being that bridges wasnt quite the starting goalie for us. We brought back the man, BJ Boxma for the job in the late regular season, after trading him away two years before as he was to good to be a back up to Blackburn ect not to mention hes older. Maybe a goalie out of the BCHL or AJHL ect. but not one of the top 5 to say, 8 goalies
famous quote;
"lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part"

Jovorock
05-19-2005, 06:21 AM
"lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part"
I don't think it's a lack of planning, it's a lack of luck. The 50 man roster of protecting future players is the life line of any junior team. Currently Kelowna has I think three young midget goalies and to give up one of those spots could cost you in the future.

Three or four years ago we had Kevin Nastuik in camp but first round pick Josh Lepp beat him out for the back up job. When was the last time a goalie was injured going into the Memorial Cup? I think it was the Mike Vernon year?

You say the Ice traded to bring Bridges back but that was during regular season not the playoffs. Hopefully the Rockets won't have to use Mike Wall but I am glad the three leagues have allowed him to dress and backup.

Chipper
05-19-2005, 09:10 AM
I think what fightstrap is saying is that Bridges was injured going into the Memorial cup, BJ Boxma was our starter and the Ice brought in a jr b goalie from the Kimberly Dynamiters to fill in as a back up. He was also an listed player from our 50 man protected list, and I believe a 18 year old at the time and not going to go anywhere in the Dub. In any case I don't think that wall will step on the Ice. If Westblom gets injured there will be no automatic call to Wall to step in, there will be a doctor that will say yes or no just in case the Rockets just want to change there goaltender for the sake of having a better chance in goal. I know that all the Rockets and there fans want to win this on there own and not have any excuse to give others that they needed outside help to win.