PDA

View Full Version : Tough Guy?

3wheeler
12-11-2010, 07:08 PM
We need a tough guy.

I know some of you think the game no longer needs a physical threat but I feel different. Last nights game in Kamloops may have turned out better for Hutt if Depape new he would get his a$$ whooped for a hit like that.
When the Chiefs played in Swift I think there tough guy ( Darren Kramer) saw 1 shift. Why, cause they did not need his physical presence. We do not have a physical threat that would allow the premier players to skate freely. I think Lamb wants a tough guy but who has one that they are willing to give up and at what price.

Lets Killian gets through this latest injury and can play again.

Toswammi
12-11-2010, 07:39 PM
We need a tough guy.

I know some of you think the game no longer needs a physical threat but I feel different. Last nights game in Kamloops may have turned out better for Hutt if Depape new he would get his a$$ whooped for a hit like that.
When the Chiefs played in Swift I think there tough guy ( Darren Kramer) saw 1 shift. Why, cause they did not need his physical presence. We do not have a physical threat that would allow the premier players to skate freely. I think Lamb wants a tough guy but who has one that they are willing to give up and at what price.

Lets Killian gets through this latest injury and can play again.

OMG. Somehow I doubt that Depape in the heat of the moment would have thought "I shouldn't hit this guy and prevent a scoring chance, because they have a guy that doesn't play, but could beat me up."

IMO saying a tough guy on a team will prevent other teams from not playing physical is a load. When you are playing, reacting and have your heart pumping you aren't always thinking of being scared of one player.

If anything, having a guy like that will allow your own teammates to play a little grittier or bigger because they know they have back up.

3wheeler
12-11-2010, 07:54 PM
I new it wouldn`t take long for a nay sayer to reply. Tell me did you ever play competitive hockey?
I would not say its about playing physical, but you don't hit some one from behind.

Toswammi
12-11-2010, 09:52 PM
I just don't believe that if had a knuckle dragger on the bench that hits like that will disappear.

Ree_21
12-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Well both the other leagues (OHL and the Q) have openly sent messages for hits like that in terms of major suspensions in the last couple of years. I feel that the WHL may be more physical and more lenient to questionable hits. I for one don't care for a tough guy as I enjoy the skill and speed side of the game. Also you cant say we dont have some size, Lamb has been picking up both big and small players, each there own. If we got a tough guy, I would want to know he could not jeopardize the team for dumb penalties, or lack of skill and being beat continuously off the side walls.

I have played competitive, and toughness does help, but an agitator (ie sean avery type of guy) would be more effective, someone that draws the attention and focus of the other team. I know I ran the mouth a little and played close to the line before, and I can remember a few games were I drew many penalties like a roughing and a spearing after the play. It was an easy 5-3 powerplay for us. But back to the main issue, It may not be relevant but I have watched many games and seen hits that would merit a guaranteed suspension in any league but the WHL. But as soon as the WHL catches up, the tough guy (especially a hot head teenager) would only jeopardize the team.

but I could be wrong in terms of the leagues policy too, as I only follow some of this league

dodywood4ever
12-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Good on Blanke for hanging in there with one of the leagues thoughest in Alolatse. Both guys laded big shots. And Derko with the big tko. Im sure clueless tree hugger lamb will bench them both for daring to show emotion now.

lordstanley
12-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Wow you guys only have 8 healthy fowards for tonight that is crazy

Toswammi
12-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Wow you guys only have 8 healthy fowards for tonight that is crazy

Injuries seem to happen a lot this year. I wish we call up some warm bodies.

Toswammi
12-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Down to 7 forwards now.

Out are:
Eakin (WJC)
Hoban (??? Left todays game after being run from behind)
Wagner (broken bone)
Novotny (MCL Sprain)
Hutt (Concussion)
Derko (broken bone)
Muth (Shoulder)
Silverster (back)

To make matters worse, we will lose Howorko after the Christmas break, and with broken bones+concussions those guys will be out for a bit. If the roads co-operate we could see over a full line of AP forwards for the next little bit.

Frustrating because no one knows what kind of team we have in SC. I would love to think if everyone got healthy for the playoffs we could be one of those ultimate dark horse teams, but in the same breathe I would also understand moving all of our high value pieces for the future.

CrazyGeorge
12-15-2010, 10:35 PM
I heard today that wagner broke his ankle so he could be out a while, Hutt is out a while, we wont see Eakin for a while, Muth is a few weeks away, Novotony is week to week...not to mention Derko and Silvester too who are out for undisclosed time too...absolutley crazy!! The assistant GM said they are look at various list players to possibly come in as well as possible trades to help fill in some spots. Only time will tell.

Toswammi
12-16-2010, 09:21 AM
I heard today that wagner broke his ankle so he could be out a while, Hutt is out a while, we wont see Eakin for a while, Muth is a few weeks away, Novotony is week to week...not to mention Derko and Silvester too who are out for undisclosed time too...absolutley crazy!! The assistant GM said they are look at various list players to possibly come in as well as possible trades to help fill in some spots. Only time will tell.

Can't really make any trades right now, as there is a trading freeze in the league over Christmas. I know that Mackay will be in the lineup against Saskatoon (and could be getting a regular shift on the make shift third line). I listened to the post game show on Mullins blog this mourning, sounds like they have some guys they would like to bring up, but are limited due to the U-17 and Mac's (and the roads I suppose).

Right about now any warm body that isn't banged up will help the cause. I realize that they likely won't produce too much, and the team will have to revamp some systems (simplify), but 17-18 guys on the bench is a lot better then 14-15.

trucker
12-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Good on Blanke for hanging in there with one of the leagues thoughest in Alolatse. Both guys laded big shots. And Derko with the big tko. Im sure clueless tree hugger lamb will bench them both for daring to show emotion now.

What's the deal with your name calling on Lamb? Clueless?...The guy has a Stanley cup ring!! Tree hugger?...give me a break, did it sound look like he was running out to the hills to pick berries after the games on our B.C. trip? I know you cheer for the Broncos, but what's with all the negative comments about Lamb from you and some others? Please inform us all! Start a new thread on this and we can debate! I'm with Lamb, I support him and like his EMOTION on the bench! I like emotion from fans too but all this cancer spreading attitude about Lamb is Bull!!

dodywood4ever
12-18-2010, 06:34 PM
So Stanley Cup ring equals Bronco wins? Sure as hell hasnt so far. I dont like this acceptance of mediocrity road this team has been going down for far too long and everybody just shrugs and accepts it. Also the amount of injuries to key players because of a lack of toughness is beyond pathetic. The lack of emotion and grit is directly linked to the head coach and im just tired of it. Enjoy barely squeaking into the playoffs and a first round exit again. Sounds like you dig it.

patsdude114
12-19-2010, 03:35 PM
So Stanley Cup ring equals Bronco wins? Sure as hell hasnt so far. I dont like this acceptance of mediocrity road this team has been going down for far too long and everybody just shrugs and accepts it. Also the amount of injuries to key players because of a lack of toughness is beyond pathetic. The lack of emotion and grit is directly linked to the head coach and im just tired of it. Enjoy barely squeaking into the playoffs and a first round exit again. Sounds like you dig it.

How is it Lambs fault for his players not playing with grit??? u guys have a skilled lineup but no grit in those players. You cant coach grit a player either has it in them or doesnt, plain & simple.

Teams need that right mixture of skilled & gritty players, & its always nice to have a player who is both, the Broncos dont have a player that has both & there r even less players that have any sort of grit to them at all. The Broncos are caught up to todays style of game being a skilled game but they have also forgot that this is still hockey & u need some grit on the ice as well.

dodywood4ever
12-19-2010, 05:10 PM
How is it Lambs fault for his players not playing with grit??? u guys have a skilled lineup but no grit in those players. You cant coach grit a player either has it in them or doesnt, plain & simple.

Teams need that right mixture of skilled & gritty players, & its always nice to have a player who is both, the Broncos dont have a player that has both & there r even less players that have any sort of grit to them at all. The Broncos are caught up to todays style of game being a skilled game but they have also forgot that this is still hockey & u need some grit on the ice as well.

My bad. I was under the assumption the coach is the leader of the team and puts a plan forward that the players follow. You tell me how it is then.