PDA

View Full Version : By Golly...They can score!

TooLoud
12-13-2010, 10:07 PM
What do you think about the recent change of fortunes for our beloved Hurricanes? Early in the season, the inability to score, along with an impotent power play, was causing all kinds of consternation for the Hurricane faithfull. But, the PK, and some solid goaltending seemed to keep the boys in a lot of games they shouldn't have been in. Lately, though, the guys have been lighting the lamp with reckless abandon, and the PP has become somewhat respectable. However, the boys' play in the defensive zone has been awful, the goaltending most nights has been, at best, unpredictable, and the PK has been brutal, although, to be fair to the goalies, the boys are testing the PK waters way too often, and are blowing defensive zone assignments with unfortunate predictability. What does Rich and his staff need to do to instill some consistency in the troops? :confused:

shushu
12-14-2010, 01:56 AM
the players have to learn to quit taking stupid penalties...5 on 5 they compete with the best of them....

caniac # 2
12-14-2010, 10:40 AM
the players have to learn to quit taking stupid penalties...5 on 5 they compete with the best of them....

So why cant Preston get it under control.......... bench the players taking stupid penalties for a period, do something, all this lip service about having to stay out of the box is getting a bit old and i am tired of hearing about it, as nothing has changed ??

shushu
12-14-2010, 10:34 PM
So why cant Preston get it under control.......... bench the players taking stupid penalties for a period, do something, all this lip service about having to stay out of the box is getting a bit old and i am tired of hearing about it, as nothing has changed ??

lip serves or not ,this team is in its second year of a new gm that obviously does thing his own way..the way preston is drafting 4 players in the 1st two rounds every year down the road this will not even be an issue.. the team we have at this point will more than likely be the one after this years deadline, penalties or not this is not our year to be on top. it takes time to build a good team and you cannot do it over night, so get used to the growing pains or quit buying tickets.....thats the 2 option all of us have.

TooLoud
12-15-2010, 02:20 PM
lip serves or not ,this team is in its second year of a new gm that obviously does thing his own way..the way preston is drafting 4 players in the 1st two rounds every year down the road this will not even be an issue.. the team we have at this point will more than likely be the one after this years deadline, penalties or not this is not our year to be on top. it takes time to build a good team and you cannot do it over night, so get used to the growing pains or quit buying tickets.....thats the 2 option all of us have.

No disrespect intended, Shushu, but when exactly is our year to be on top? Other teams in this league have proven themselves to be "gamers" year in and year out. And even though they may have "off" years such as Calgary is having this year, you know that the Vancouvers, the Kooteneys, the Calgarys, the Brandons, the Medicine Hats will always bounce back. Fans here in Lethbridge have been treated to a long dry spell, with no relief in sight. While I appreciate the fact that we have a new GM, with new "ways of doing things" we've had other GM's here, with their way of doing things, and have had little success. As far as not buying a ticket, that is certainly an option, but as a long time season ticket holder, I don't believe that it is asking too much for the club to ice a competitive squad. And, if they are not, find out why and fix it. While Rich, or any coach/gm for that matter, has a duty to his players to ensure growth, and prepare them for the next level of their career, they also have a duty to the fans. Sometimes, it seems to me, that it is a forgotten fact that without paying fans and sponsors, there is no team, and this discussion becomes moot. Junior hockey is, still, a business, and I'm sure the privately owned teams would never allow,or accept this long of a lull. I am certainly willing to give Rich a chance, but I, and unfortunately many other season ticket holders, have reached the end of our ropes, and there is a real possibility of "not buying tickets". What other method of expressing displeasure do we as fans have? What happens to the team then? Just some thoughts...

Connected
12-15-2010, 05:19 PM
No disrespect intended, Shushu, but when exactly is our year to be on top? Other teams in this league have proven themselves to be "gamers" year in and year out. And even though they may have "off" years such as Calgary is having this year, you know that the Vancouvers, the Kooteneys, the Calgarys, the Brandons, the Medicine Hats will always bounce back. Fans here in Lethbridge have been treated to a long dry spell, with no relief in sight. While I appreciate the fact that we have a new GM, with new "ways of doing things" we've had other GM's here, with their way of doing things, and have had little success. As far as not buying a ticket, that is certainly an option, but as a long time season ticket holder, I don't believe that it is asking too much for the club to ice a competitive squad. And, if they are not, find out why and fix it. While Rich, or any coach/gm for that matter, has a duty to his players to ensure growth, and prepare them for the next level of their career, they also have a duty to the fans. Sometimes, it seems to me, that it is a forgotten fact that without paying fans and sponsors, there is no team, and this discussion becomes moot. Junior hockey is, still, a business, and I'm sure the privately owned teams would never allow,or accept this long of a lull. I am certainly willing to give Rich a chance, but I, and unfortunately many other season ticket holders, have reached the end of our ropes, and there is a real possibility of "not buying tickets". What other method of expressing displeasure do we as fans have? What happens to the team then? Just some thoughts...

Does everyone forget that the Canes went to the dub final in 07/08! Give them a chance to rebuild and the success will follow.

TooLoud
12-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Does everyone forget that the Canes went to the dub final in 07/08! Give them a chance to rebuild and the success will follow.

Haven't forgotten...just would really like at least a sniff at it again. As I mentioned, the "better" teams rarely have 2 bad years in a row. With the way Rich has collected draft picks, I see success in the future. I guess I would just like to see better results. I think you can only hear "wait till next year", or "rebuilding year" so many times.

patsdude114
12-15-2010, 07:03 PM

To be fair to the area in bold the only teams that have ever won the league in recent yrs is Calgary & Vancouver even Medicine Hat but Brandon & Kootney are solid teams it seems year in & year out but they havent had much success after the 2nd round of the playoffs. Solid regular season teams yes which does make things exciting.

Look at MJ when they went to the league final a few yrs back now, have they had much playoff success since?? nope not really, it is hard to get that far in the playoffs on a regular basis as this year has great competition throughout the league.

The Canes will be a great team soon enough (thanks to ur 1st overall pick ull get from my Pats this year *dumb ass Parker*) Cane land has a great future ahead & playoff hockey for the Canes this year looks like it could be possible at least a playoff race will include the Canes.

Dont be so hard on ur team, they are in year 2 of a rebuilding phase next year i can see the Canes being between 4th & 6th in the conference with the years to come could be a legit contender if u guys get a solid goalie.

shushu
12-15-2010, 11:54 PM

just as the teams you mentions that are top place teams every year, there is a reason for it...and that reason is exactly what the canes are doing at this point..building from within, down the road when we are drafting 4 players in in the first 2 rounds every year will put the canes in the same league as the hitmen, blades and giants...when you dont have to sell the farm to try and build a team for a deep playoff run you will be good year after year for the simple reason that you have top end players in house and have no need to sell the farm to get them..give it 1 to 2 years and you will see great hockey from that point on with very few bad years in between......just look at portland and how deep that team is right now, that comes from building from within.............

shushu
12-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Dont be so hard on ur team, they are in year 2 of a rebuilding phase next year i can see the Canes being between 4th & 6th in the conference with the years to come could be a legit contender if u guys get a solid goalie.

tanner kovacs is hands down one of the best goalies in aberta now at 16 if not the best....he will be a great one down the road for the canes...........

dagnabbit
12-16-2010, 08:55 AM
This team should be good in 2 to 3 years, assuming they have another good draft this year. They chose not to develop any young players this year (other than the boards pick) and that will cost them for next year. Other teams like Brandon are developing their 16 year olds. Lethbridge has chosen to ride mediocre vets with the hope of squeaking into the playoffs. The 94's and 95's will not be ready to contribute until 2012/13.

TooLoud
12-16-2010, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=patsdude114;159530]To be fair to the area in bold the only teams that have ever won the league in recent yrs is Calgary & Vancouver even Medicine Hat but Brandon & Kootney are solid teams it seems year in & year out but they havent had much success after the 2nd round of the playoffs. Solid regular season teams yes which does make things exciting.

Exactly my point. I don't think that it's fair to expect any team to go deep in the playoffs regularly. Desireable, but not realistic. However, I do think that it is fair to expect a team to be competitive every year. That is the reason that good drafting is important. That is the reason that good scouting is important. That's why making good deals without "giving away the farm" is important. I do not think that as a fan, expecting the boys to be ready to play every night is unrealistic. I do not think that having a team that other teams don't like to play is unfair. I do not think that having a team that plays tough, sound hockey is unfair to expect. I do not think that having a team that expects to win is wrong. I do not think it's wrong to expect the $1000 we spend on season tickets to come with some value. And no, I do not expect the Canes to win the season title every year. But, I do expect to at least have a shot at it. We can talk about "down the road", we can talk about a "rebuilding year", we can talk about "wait until next year", and that's all fine. I am confident that Rich's drafting prowess will pay divedends down the road. But what about NOW? I have seen "average" teams win. I have seen "unskilled" teams win championships. I have seen "ordinary" teams do extra-ordinary things. It comes down to instilling a culture about competing, always. Where is ours? No one denies that we are not the most talented team in the league, but, is it being a "bad fan" to expect, at the very least, your team to leave it all on the ice, and not wonder if they could have given that "little extra? This edition of the Canes have already proven that they can compete with anyone, when they are "feeling it". When are they going to start "feeling it" every night? Just the rant of a "tired" fan.

dagnabbit
12-16-2010, 03:38 PM
I think this team is actually over-achieving based on the talent base. It is hard to win hockey games in this league when you don't have a top line that produces on a regular basis. There is also way too much politics involved in the team selection. Inferior players are taken because they are local. All you have to do is look at the 20 year olds. They do not stack up well against other teams. I think Rich is on the right track by sticking to his draft picks but he will always have to deal with the politics from above.

moon
12-16-2010, 11:36 PM
just as the teams you mentions that are top place teams every year, there is a reason for it...and that reason is exactly what the canes are doing at this point..building from within, down the road when we are drafting 4 players in in the first 2 rounds every year will put the canes in the same league as the hitmen, blades and giants...when you dont have to sell the farm to try and build a team for a deep playoff run you will be good year after year for the simple reason that you have top end players in house and have no need to sell the farm to get them..give it 1 to 2 years and you will see great hockey from that point on with very few bad years in between......just look at portland and how deep that team is right now, that comes from building from within.............

Except we have all seen tons of first round picks tank and Preston has shown 0 to indicate that his picks will do well. He has brought in 0 players that have made a difference, 0 players that have any talent and his history of having no experience as a GM or talent evaluator doesn't really indicate that he will bring anyone in that is any good.

The best thing that Canes have now is to hope that Preston lucks out and gets a talent, but even if he does it is just as likely that he kills him with terrible coacing as it is that the kid develops.

I think this team is actually over-achieving based on the talent base. It is hard to win hockey games in this league when you don't have a top line that produces on a regular basis. There is also way too much politics involved in the team selection. Inferior players are taken because they are local. All you have to do is look at the 20 year olds. They do not stack up well against other teams. I think Rich is on the right track by sticking to his draft picks but he will always have to deal with the politics from above.

The team is horrible. The only reason they are where they are is because other teams are that much worse.

How are they overachieving when they basically suck every night. They are one of the bottom 5 teams in the league. No way any team that bad is "overachieving."

dagnabbit
12-17-2010, 08:16 AM
What I meant by over-achieving is that the team has more wins/points than I would have expected given the relative talent level on the team.

scrawny69
12-17-2010, 08:57 AM
:clown:
Hey Moon I realize you may be just ranting about your hatered of preston....but...how could he show any more than "0" to indicate that his picks will do well or not??? Watch some hockey once in a while pal!! It's a draft and there is no guarantee any picks will do well!! Honestly man you say the same thing on here every time you post! try some new material!!

just sayin!:smokin':

2speak4all
12-18-2010, 10:26 AM
It wasn't that long ago, I saw several posts on here by some 'fans' who stated that they didn't expect the Canes to win, but if they at least saw 60 mins of hockey they would be pleased. Welllllll, you have been getting your 60 mins plus of hockey -- good quality hockey -- solid performance by most all of the players, from the front to the end, and you are still complaining. Personally, I think they are working hard every shift and penalties min have been reduced dramatically in the last week. Do you not think that this is frustrating the players as well? They play hard, out shoot their opponent, take less penalties and don't win. I'm sure their confidence is starting to lack slightly, although from the solid game performances you would not know it. It happens in the NHL. Lets give it the boys, I think they deserve better support that whimpy, whiny fans who only know how to crap all over them when they don't get those 2 almighty point in the win column. Lets remember the good effort that we had been asking for. For those of us who have been supporting them, it is so good to hear the fans getting into the games again and cheering them on as they do their good deeds on the ice. Go Canes Go -- Hope you give the Med Hatters the same hard game decision tonight.

CanesCrazy
12-18-2010, 12:58 PM
ditto.

And I have to say I very much enjoyed the energy and fun the young men in the sheets, red and blue provided last night!:clap:

TooLoud
12-18-2010, 01:35 PM
It wasn't that long ago, I saw several posts on here by some 'fans' who stated that they didn't expect the Canes to win, but if they at least saw 60 mins of hockey they would be pleased. Welllllll, you have been getting your 60 mins plus of hockey -- good quality hockey -- solid performance by most all of the players, from the front to the end, and you are still complaining. Personally, I think they are working hard every shift and penalties min have been reduced dramatically in the last week. Do you not think that this is frustrating the players as well? They play hard, out shoot their opponent, take less penalties and don't win. I'm sure their confidence is starting to lack slightly, although from the solid game performances you would not know it. It happens in the NHL. Lets give it the boys, I think they deserve better support that whimpy, whiny fans who only know how to crap all over them when they don't get those 2 almighty point in the win column. Lets remember the good effort that we had been asking for. For those of us who have been supporting them, it is so good to hear the fans getting into the games again and cheering them on as they do their good deeds on the ice. Go Canes Go -- Hope you give the Med Hatters the same hard game decision tonight.

Well put! I think that at the end of the day, all the "fans" want is for the Canes to leave it all on the ice and not be wondering "what if?" The game las night was a solid effort by our boys, and I think a better outcome was deserved. You might also note, that what many of the "fans" were complaining about was exactly that. A lot of us was wondering what it took to motivate elite hockey players into playing up to(or past!) their potential. I think we saw last night what an admittantly blue collar group can accomplish when they they decide to show up and play. I believe that if the guys put in the type of yeoman effort that was displayed last night on a regular basis, we might be having a different type of discussion come March. A few more tweaks, like getting the power play working (it was painfull to watch last night), getting tougher in our own end, and getting dependable goaltending (Although Tate has been good!) and I think we can be knocking on the playoff door. BTW, has anyone else been as astounded as I about Mr. Sutter's turnaround from last year? The kid has been a beast out there!!

2speak4all
12-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Absolutely, I think he has notched his game up big time. Nice to see. I hope these boys keep it together after the break. Hopefully they will be rewarded with some points in the win column.

Game On Canes!!