PDA

View Full Version : Martell to join pats after xmas

patsdude114
12-16-2010, 07:23 PM
GM warns price won't be cheap for clubs looking to pick up veteran Pats

By Greg Harder

REGINA — Regina Pats general manager Chad Lang got an early start on his Christmas shopping, but that doesn't necessarily mean his list is complete.

Although the Pats have already cashed in two of their main trade chips — Thomas Frazee and Carter Ashton — the GM's phone is still ringing and will likely continue right up to the Jan. 10 trade deadline. That said, Lang warned that the price won't be cheap for clubs looking to pick through the remnants of his veteran talent, including star centre Jordan Weal, captain Garrett Mitchell, overage centre Colin Reddin, goalie Damien Ketlo and blueliners Brandon Davidson and Art Bidlevskii.

Lang has already stated that it'll take a sock-blowing offer to pry away Weal, whom the Pats envision as a central figure in their rebuilding plan. While there are no untouchables, players like Weal, Mitchell and Davidson would certainly come at a premium.

"I think teams will continue to inquire and see if there's anything else that we're willing to do, but it's going to have to be something that we really feel is a benefit for our organization," said Lang. "We made two pretty significant moves, two moves that we're very happy with. We'll enjoy the Christmas break and see what the (post-holiday rush) has to bring."

Lang swung the WHL's first major pre-deadline trade on Friday, sending Ashton and a third-round bantam pick in 2012 to the Tri-City Americans for a package comprising two younger forwards (Nils Moser, 17, and Tanner Olstad, 18) along with three draft picks (a 2011 first-rounder, plus second- and fifth-rounders in 2012).

Lang followed that up late Tuesday night by shipping Frazee to the Kamloops Blazers for overage winger Shayne Neigum, forward prospect Lyndon Martell, 17, and a third-round pick in 2012.

By dealing Frazee and Ashton, Lang has accomplished his primary goal of recouping lost draft picks and adding depth up front in deficient age groups. As a result, Lang doesn't feel obligated to trade more of his veteran talent, including 19-year-olds Mitchell, Davidson, Ketlo and Bidlevskii. To do so would deprive the Pats of internal 20-year-old options again next year after having to acquire all three of their 20-year-olds via trade this season.

"We look at our 19-year-olds, potentially all four of them could come back," noted the GM. "Whether a couple of them go pro or not, it still allows us to ensure we have that leadership group coming back next year. I don't think you can ever underestimate that. If all four come back, I strongly believe there's value in all those guys and it provides us an asset next year to consider (trading at the deadline). It puts us in a real good position. I like all four of those individuals. They all play various roles and significant roles on our hockey club. It's going to have to be something really, really unique for us to even consider moving those guys."

With or without them, Lang views the second half of this season as an opportunity to develop his team's young talent. That said, he insists the Pats are not "waving the white flag."

"Sometimes adding youth can be a positive," said Lang. "They bring a lot of energy and they're excited to play. We're definitely not writing off this season. My expectation is for this team to continue to work hard each and every night. If we do that we'll put ourselves in a position to at least compete in those games and hopefully have some success in the second half."

It won't be easy.

"Any time you go through a (rebuilding) phase like this it's difficult on everybody involved," added Lang. "I encourage people to be patient. We knew it wasn't going to change overnight. Yet we feel we're making the proper steps in the right direction to get this team back on track."

NOTE: Neigum is slated to join the Pats immediately while Martell, currently with the BCHL's Prince George Spruce Kings, isn't expected to arrive until after the Christmas break.

*from pats website*

also it makes sense for Neigum to join the Pats immdeiately since he is from Kindersley

T-Bone
12-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Send Roznik home for Christmas without a return ticket. Nothing personal, but he's just not fitting in, so they may as well cut him loose now.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-16-2010, 11:46 PM
Perhaps the pats were spoiled with top notch euros like Kalus and Tolpeko, but with most teams, this is how the average europeans are to start. There is an adjustment period, and sometimes its not pretty, especially on a team where some of the young canadian kids are having trouble.

I wouldnt give up on him yet. Roznik could be pretty good next year after getting some time under his belt. As it is, he isnt a liability or anything. He makes the odd nice play and skates well for a tall guy.

hockeyfan123
12-19-2010, 10:27 PM
With all these moves the pats have made, where do you see Muench and Sagen fitting in on the team? or could they be cut loose. I think both have lots of upside but I cant see them getting much ice time with the new additions.

Bepoleon
12-20-2010, 05:21 AM
Cutting Sagan loose would be a mistake, the kid has good speed. Muench on the otherhand hasn't done anything since being injured early this season. He's been scratched the past few games, is it healthy or injury related???

west coast
12-20-2010, 04:27 PM
i like both Muench and Sagen as players.Muench has skill and grit.Grit is something the Pats have been lacking this season.Sagen is developing into an effective power forward.Sagen and Blidstrand would have to be the most improved players on the club.Sagen makes hits,fights ,hustles,and protects the puck very well.I am at a loss as to why both of these players do not recieve more icetime or heck even crack the lineup.I hope the Pats take the opportunity and try and get some of the younger players like Sagen some icetime in the second half of the season inorder to develop the youth

patsdude114
12-20-2010, 08:14 PM
I really like Sagen he is a bigger body, skates well, takes the body plays the power forward type that this team needs so badly. I really like Sagen's game he will be a big part of this team moving forward as a depth forward in the future.

As for Muench, i really see his days being numbered in a Pats jersey. He was brought in at the begining of the year to bring more speed & skill into our lineup & now with these trades he gets pushed further down the depth chart. He is too small to play any type of a gritty game, although he does try too. He hasnt done anything offensive since his injury, & being taken off the line of Weal & Frazee.

Anyone will look good with Weal if they have above avg skill. So far Schiedl has been a great fit for Weal, I think that will be a combo together for the rest of year let them build some chemistry for next season.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-22-2010, 07:15 PM
I am not really sure who is going, but I know somebody has to. We have too many forwards, and once again too many small guys. We also have to consider the rookie forwards coming next year, as Klimchuk will make the team, as well as possibly one of Mclean, Hannoun or even a surprise drafted/list player.

I dont know if I would want Muench traded, We moved Gustafsson and Hutt to keep Dane, and though he isnt producing right now, I wouldnt give up on him yet. That being said, I think its between him, Jung, or a big piece like Mitchell.

patsdude114
12-22-2010, 11:53 PM
I dont know if I would want Muench traded, We moved Gustafsson and Hutt to keep Dane, and though he isnt producing right now, I wouldnt give up on him yet. That being said, I think its between him, Jung, or a big piece like Mitchell.

I would agree with u on the bold part, only thing is out of the so called 'lesser players' Muench & Jung, Jung seems to play a bigger role on the team as 1 of the top PK guys. I do believe Mitchell will be moved though as he may be a older guy that can lead by example but he isnt a so called 'top guy' or 'top scorer' that u can help build around.

Mitchell is a grinder at best & any 16yr old kid can play the same role as he does & miss as many chances as he does as well. Mitchell would benefit a playoff team more then it would for the Pats to keep him around.

patsdude114
01-22-2011, 05:33 AM
What a steal this guy is becoming..... Martell is most definately worth the 2nd pick we gave up to get Frazee out of MJ..... Martell scores again tonight & is a +3 in 10 games with the Pats he has 5g1a playing on the top line with Weal