PDA

View Full Version : Giants 1 Americans 9 - Dec 17, 2010

dondo
12-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Americans Crush Giants

Vancouver 1 Tri-City 9

The Giants floundered in Kennewick in their first meeting with the Ams this season, after being eliminated from the playoffs by the Americans last year. The Americans steam-rolled the G’s pushing their lead to 7-0 before giving up a single goal-against. It was a fight-filled, very poorly officiated affair with the G’s PK completely ineffectual versus the Tri-City PP. Getting three goals in about three minutes in the first, the home squad continued to roll from then on. They had a bit of help from some zebras who made some soft calls early on and then completely lost control of the game, which devolved into a fight fest as the Giants tried to battle back. Make no mistake though, the Giants were not good enough in this one to be competitive and were surgically dissected by the Ams. The lop-sided score, however, can be attributed to the poor quality of officiating.

Kruise Reddick opened the scoring on the PP about three minutes into the game. Jordan Messier added to that a couple of minutes later and then Adam Hughesman beat Brendan Jensen just over 30 seconds later to really put the Giants behind the 8-ball. A time-out for the G-Men solved nothing and the Americans added their second PP marker giving them a 4-goal lead before the end of the first period. The Ams PP continued to romp in the second as they scored two more off of some soft calls and bad judgements by the G’s. Brendan Shinnimin, who had been a spineless pest all-night, got one of the markers. Hughesman got the other. Mason Wilgosh increased their lead to 7 goals before the end of the second period. Hay continued to leave Jensen between the pipes. I hope that he gave him the option to stay in or get pulled. About mid-way through the second Drew Owsley, the starter for the Ams, was pulled for what reason I am still unsure (maybe to give the back up a chance, which would be odd with Owsley working on a shutout at the time). The Giants finally got a goal just before the mid-way point of the third, but that was all they would get in this one. Messier scored his second on the Americans 5th PP marker of the game. Then David Conrad scored a SH goal to round out the scoring and put another nail in the Giants most lop-sided loss of the season.

Rookie Watch: Bellerive and Hart were even on the night, with Hart getting a couple of PIMs. Sward was –1, with a boarding minor.

Fight Night: Virtually nothing but fights in this one after the mid point of the game, when the Ams were in complete control of the score sheet. After having the Giants in their face most of the night and not dropping the gloves, the Ams decided to drop them against Cunningham for the first fight of the night. Tyler Schmidt tangled with Cunner in a brief bout. The next shift Lyon and Messier dropped the mitts, with Lyon given the bonus unsportsmanlike penalty. A few minutes later it was Mackay and Martinook going toe-to-toe with Sohor and Wilgosh. MacKay and Martinook were both given 5 and a game, Wilgosh 5, 10 and a game and Sohor a roughing minor according to the WHL stats sheet. Next drop of the puck Gallagher took Shinnimin to task for his acts throughout the game, giving him good pounding and in the process getting tagged for an instigator, 5 and 10. In the third Reners, Sohn challenged Prokop and Yuen for another battle. Sohn got the instigator and it was 5 and a game for Sohn, Reners and Yuen, with Prokop only getting the 5. Prokop was involved when Feser dropped the mitts after a Prokop elbow.

Zebra Cage: Despite my normal personal bias versus poor officiating no one can say this was a consistently reffed game. From my perspective the officials Sean Raphael and Brett Iverson lost control of this game early on and then handed out 10-minute misconducts like they were coming out of a Pez dispenser. Adding some insulting extras along the way. Don Hay as well many other Giants were given game misconducts, a penalty that carries suspension ramifications.

The Giants were out shot 38-27 in this one and went 0 for 3 on the PP, allowing SH goal against to really pour salt in their own wounds. The Ams went 5 for 9 on the PP. The Giants spent most of the game down personnel serving multiple 10-minute misconducts in the game and losing players to other game misconducts. They were out-matched from the start as the Americans skated rings around them and scored seemingly at will. The Giants managed to scrape out a bit of pride by battling back while in the process getting themselves even deeper into penalty trouble. The Americans were the least penalized team in the league coming into this game, but bulged those numbers in this one. Despite avoiding the bulk of the misconduct penalties, they did get enough go their way to boost their penalty numbers past 500 minutes. It was a blow-out that the local fans would have loved especially with the sheer number of fights and emotion – something I suspect they don’t see a lot of in Kennewick. Anyone that tries to tell you fans don’t like fights is full of crap.

Jensen was between the pipes for all 9 goals against. The G’s didn’t exactly give him a lot of help and were seriously out-worked and out-played in this one. The Giants could be under-manned in Spokane when they take on the Chiefs tonight and considering how hard a game the Chiefs gave them when they were at the Coliseum they cannot afford to have a depleted line-up and no head coach behind the bench. The Giants are going to pay a price for this game, but they might just acquire the priceless element of team support and chemistry in the process. The G-Men lost badly, but did not go out quietly and that in and of itself could give them at least a bit of team pride to take with them. That said, there is no excuse for the poor performance on the ice the Giants brought to Kennewick and they have to be better if they hope to compete this season. I expect a bit more focus tonight in Spokane and hopefully for them to gut out a tough win.

Three Stars

1. Adam Hughesman
2. Brendan Shinnimin
3. Kruise Reddick

Dondo’s Doghouse: Kind of hard to pick a single doghouse denizen from such over-all crappy work, but seeing Brendan Rowinski as a –3, with no points and no PIMs in such an emotional game has me shaking my head. Not the kind of outing I expect from OA player.