PDA

View Full Version : My Wish list

SectionNDeserter
12-29-2010, 12:44 PM
If the Rebels are planning on making any deadline moves, here are the top 10 players that I would like to see them acquire (that could realistically be availabe).

1) Cody Eakin (Swift Current) - A sniper that is also pretty good in his own end. I have seen him come into the Centrium and carry his whole team on his back numerous times. I can't imagine that he will be back next season. He currently has 39 points in 30 games. Bit of a risk though, as he has a history of injury problems. Would be a gamble I would be happy with though.

2) Ryan Howse (Chilliwack) - Not the most well-rounded player, but probably the best goal scorer in the league--and is definitely a game-breaking player. With Vancouver apparently starting the housecleaning to prepare for the future, Chilliwack may elect to stick with him, add a few pieces and make a run for a championship though.

3) Brandon Davidson (Regina) - Great puck mover, good size, and has 29 points in 37 games despite playing on one of the weaker teams in the league this season. I can't help but think that he has been made available, and I think that he would greatly improve an already fantastic powerplay in Red Deer.

4) Neil Manning (Vancouver) - Another good offensive puck moving defenseman, a little on the small size, but I think would make the Rebels a lot more deadlier from the point. Vancouver is obviously in sell mode, but may be leery of trading with Red Deer after they got fleeced in the Mappin for Kudrna deal.

5) Jonathan Parker (Prince Albert) - I can't remember the last time I have seen a player that is as motivated as him, and shows as much work effort on a consistent basis as Parker. On top of that, he has a real good touch around the net, and is a hell of a penalty killer.

6) Brayden Schenn (Brandon) - I have yet to see him put any effort into his game at the Centrium in a dozen or so outings here. Obviously the skill is there though. Would help the team as well, as he is probably the best two-way forward that will be available before the deadline. Would have had him ranked higher, but I think he is probably going to cost the most vs. the return.

7) Tyler Maxwell (Everett) - Smallish sniper, has a seriously fantastic +/- rating given his team having the second fewest number of goals, and an average number of goals against. Would look good on a line with former teammate Froese.

8) Scott Glennie (Brandon) - Good size, puts in a lot of tough minutes and puts up points. Has more or less maintained his point total from last year, despite the team losing a ton of talent in the off season.

9) Chase Schaber (Kamloops) - His pros: Red Deer boy, decent size, good hockey sense, tough. His cons: Has missed a lot of games to injury in his career, used to play for Calgary... Kamloops may not be ready to throw in the towel yet though, with Vancouver seemingly ready to go into rebuild mode.

10) Josh Caron (Kamloops) - Big, tough, nasty defenseman. He is what I sometimes wish Weller had developed into. Would make it that much less fun for opposition players to be in the Red Deer end of the ice. Anyone that wants to win the East is going to eventually have to go through Saskatoon, and it would be nice to have an actual heavyweight in the lineup for when that time comes.

Honorable mention: Brand Hoban (Swift Current), Burke Gallimore (Seattle), Garrett Mitchell (Regina), Brandon Herrod (Prince Albert).

tiny
12-30-2010, 09:29 AM
You have several players listed that I really think are valuable additions. It would be even more interesting to see what you would be willing to give up. I will ask tonight at the game.

Rebel~66
12-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Interesting that you make no mention of Jordan Weal or Brendan Ranford. It would certainly take quite a lot to acquire either but both are the type to make a huge impact. Don't rate either or too much to give up?

I'd take any of the players mentioned though. Great players all. Give me Cody Eakin over all though. Fantastic talent.

SectionNDeserter
12-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Interesting that you make no mention of Jordan Weal or Brendan Ranford. It would certainly take quite a lot to acquire either but both are the type to make a huge impact. Don't rate either or too much to give up?They are both players that could potentially be here for the rest of the season, and for as many as two more seasons after that. Both would be fantastic pick ups, but I don't consider them to be 'realistically available'. The only way I could see either being traded would be if they requested to be traded, and at the cost of another player that is already an impact player. Most of the players on my list are either a) A rental for a few months (Eakin, Schenn, Howse, Glennie etc.), or b) players that fill a needed role or weakness on the team, but are not generally 'game breaking' players (Caron, Davidson, Manning).

Rebel~66
12-30-2010, 04:18 PM
They are both players that could potentially be here for the rest of the season, and for as many as two more seasons after that. Both would be fantastic pick ups, but I don't consider them to be 'realistically available'.

I can see Weal being made available but it would likely take a huge package to acquire him. I could potentially see the Ice having a run at him, as they have some younger pieces that Regina might covet. That move would make the Ice serious contenders imo. Don't know if Chynoweth believes in mortgaging that much future though.

I agree that Ranford is probably out of reach for everyone.

Great original post Section N. Always enjoy your posts and opinions, we just need more of them! (You know, like, after every game for example, especially now that Rebel Rebellion is no more.)

Rebelsfan13
12-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Brandon is in rebuild and if they are being smart will move both Schenn and Glennie. The question is who gets to them first and right now I think there are only two teams in the hunt. Tri City and Portland have made some aquisitions already where they had to give up something that leaves Red Deer and Kootenay as two teams fighting for the remaining prospects.

That is likely over simplifying it as I am sure Saskatoon would argue that they are also in the hunt but I think with their age they realize that they will also be strong next year so no sense selling anything off this year. That leaves Red Deer and Kootenay, I am sure Kootenay will make the push to aquire some players the question is does Red Deer?

I think they should for one big reason....Kuemper! I will admit when I am wrong, I thought it was a bad idea having a 20 year old goalie but when he is playing like Kuemps is well it's hard to argue. He is one of the top goalies in the CHL and an arguement could be made for him to not only be goalie of the year in the dub but MVP. He has won some games this year on his own and next year he won't be here. It is for that reason that I think we make some aquisitions this year and push for it this year.

We may even get another chance next year! I would bet that RNH returns (not strong enough yet) but without a definitive number 1 goalie next year will definitely be tougher.

So what do we give up? Draft choices, but you have to watch there, I think Portland gave up a little too much. Ness could be available, Deagle, Siwak, Mayor, maybe even Pufahl? I would think Ness, Siwak and Pufahl would garner the most interest. I don't think the Rebels trade away any of their core, or their prized 16 year olds in Dumba or Grayson. Potentially some of our current prospects might be of interest to other teams. The trade deadline is less than two weeks away so it should be interesting!

What does everyone else think?

SectionNDeserter
12-31-2010, 03:31 PM
It would be even more interesting to see what you would be willing to give up.I think there are a few options. As far as I am concerned, our 2011 1st rounder is on the table. One of Marc McCoy or Chase McMurphy could be made available, as they are both big, 16 year old power forward types that are almost WHL ready.

There are a few good defenseman in the system almost ready to make the jump. They will probably want to bring in Kayle Doetzel next season, and a guy like Danys Chartrand looked like he was almost ready for WHL action in training camp as well. Add to that, they will probably want to get a guy like Grayson more ice time next season. That said, I think that either Deagle or Pufahl could be made available if the right deal is there to be made.

sbtatter
12-31-2010, 04:01 PM
Very interesting thread guys!

Toswammi
01-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Well a guy like Hoban should definately be available to you I would think. So should Eakin

Red celtic
01-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Looks like We are going to stand pat coming up to the trade deadline Wallin does not want to pay what other teams are paying for top end talent. I am glad we are taking this approach and are being responsible with our assets. Here is the link to see what the Advocate had to say on the subject.
http://www.albertalocalnews.com/reddeeradvocate/sports/Rebels_likely_standing_pat_at_deadline_113072839.h tml

Rebelsfan13
01-07-2011, 05:27 PM
So if he learned from the Sutters that means that they will be doing the opposite. How many times did Darryl say he wasn't doing anything then completely change the team?

SectionNDeserter
01-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Looks like We are going to stand pat coming up to the trade deadline Wallin does not want to pay what other teams are paying for top end talent.I can understand this approach as well. Success to this 'era' of the team is still a relatively new thing, and I can understand why they might be a bit leery to unload some future depth/prospects, after a really rough 3 or 4 seasons.

If he does in fact not plan on adding anything to make a run for something in the playoffs, is there really any point in hanging on to Kuemper past the trade deadline? Overage goaltenders usually don't garner a huge return, but he is leading every statistical category in the league by far, and the single biggest reason why I think they would even bother taking a run at it this season as opposed to next season.

Trevor
01-07-2011, 06:35 PM
If he does in fact not plan on adding anything to make a run for something in the playoffs, is there really any point in hanging on to Kuemper past the trade deadline? Overage goaltenders usually don't garner a huge return, but he is leading every statistical category in the league by far, and the single biggest reason why I think they would even bother taking a run at it this season as opposed to next season.

That was my thinking too. Without knowing how the Rebels goaltending prospects shake up, I find it hard to believe you guys would be stronger in net next year. Combine that with the fact that RNH will be a top 3 pick and the better chances he stays in the show next season (I know he's a bit light right now) it seems to me, as an outsider here in Brandon, that this is the Rebels year to make a push.