PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the Forwards in the first half

SectionNDeserter
12-31-2010, 08:46 AM
My take on the forwards in the first half, along with letter grade and short summary...

Josh Cowen (C+) - More injury woes for the irritating forward, as he is lost to mono for the first couple of months of the season. He has been a gritty, in-your-face player that the other teams hate to play against, while showing some flashes of offense here and there. Sadly, I am not sure of where he will fit into the lineup next season, as he has just missed so many games to injury, and played so many games while injured in his career.

Turner Elson (B) - Hardest working player on the team, game in and game out. Fantastic speed, good hands to go with his fantastic work ethic. Started out the season on the 1st line, and has settled into the second line. Is on pace to double his offensive numbers from last season.

Brett Ferguson (B) - Great penalty killer with some good moves but a little lacking in finish. Loses a lot of board battles, but every once in a while gets a surprising shot/pass out of a scrum on the boards.

Byron Froese (A) - A lot of pressure on this kid to perform after he came to Red Deer for former 1st round pick Landon Ferraro. He has not dissapointed so far, with 15 goals, 12 of them on blasts while working the point on the power play. He is on pace for 80+ points. My only concern with him so far, is that he has only 3 even-strength goals on the season.

Adam Kambeitz (A-) - He has made more than one NHL scout take notice this season I am sure. He is arguably the best penalty killer on the team. He has great speed, and works hard around the net. My only knock on him so far, is that he has taken a few games off here and there. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get picked in the later rounds of the NHL draft this season.

Andrej Kudrna (A) - The Rebels don't lose out on a lot of trades, and they don't come out as clear cut winners in many either. This is the exception. Wow! The big winger is strong on the boards and in his own end, and has a nose for the net, having put up 39 points in 33 games thus far. While on the other end of the deal, I think the Giants eventually manufactured the departed Cass Mappin into a 6th or 7th round bantam draft pick.

Colten Mayor (C+) - He started out slow, but I see some real improvement in his game over the last month or so, and it is translating into a lot more ice time. He is not the greatest skater in the world, but he has adapted his game to take out the trash in front of the net, and plays in tough areas despite not being the grittiest player.

Locke Muller (B-) - I do not recall ever seen a Rebel put an opposition player through the glass with a big hit, but I think that Muller will ultimately be the first one to do that. Despite missing the first 6 weeks or so of the season with a broken hand suffered in a pre-season fight, the hulking forward has quickly worked his way up in the lineup with punishing hit after punishing hit. He looks calm and poised with the puck, and gets about 3-4 solid bone-rattling hits every shift. He is not at all opposed to dropping the gloves as well. I can see him developing into a power forward with this team.

Tyson Ness (C+) - He is a pretty decent skater, with some great offensive instincts. Works pretty good in traffic for a rookie. At the moment, he is plying his trade on a checking line, but I think that he could put up some decent offensive numbers in this league, if paired with the right players.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (A+) - I would be interested to see this kid's takeaway numbers. If they keep track of this stat, I would bet that he has more than twice as many as the next closest player in the league. The teams in the league have really started giving him a lot less room to work, in some cases putting their best defensive forwards on shadow duty on him. Despite this, he still has 47 points in 35 games as a 17 year old. He finishes all his checks (though he is not a punishing hitter), he comes out of a scrum with the puck more often than not, and is nearly impossible to take the puck away from. He should go in the top 5 in the NHL draft this season.

John Persson (A) - His first few strides to get up to speed look terrible, though it has improved. Doesn't seem to detract from his overall game however, as he is a big body in front of the net, he has fantastic eye-hand coordination, and scores some tough goals. He also blocks a TON of shots, and is a hard worker. He is one of the big surprises this season, and has continued to improve as the season goes on.

Chad Robinson (C) - Doesn't get a ton of ice time, and I haven't really seen a lot of offensive talent with him, but he is good on the boards, and isn't a defensive liability when he is on the ice.

Daulton Siwak (B-) - Decent size, started off the season really slow, and really came on in the second half. He has really gotten good at winning faceoffs, but still needs a little work on his consistency before he will become a great player in this league.

Rebelsfan13
12-31-2010, 11:38 AM
My take on the forwards in the first half, along with letter grade and short summary...

Josh Cowen (C+) - More injury woes for the irritating forward, as he is lost to mono for the first couple of months of the season. He has been a gritty, in-your-face player that the other teams hate to play against, while showing some flashes of offense here and there. Sadly, I am not sure of where he will fit into the lineup next season, as he has just missed so many games to injury, and played so many games while injured in his career.

Even with the injuries I would move up his ranking a bit, maybe a B-. Lots of heart here, and can be one of those players that gets under your skin like no one else can.

Turner Elson (B) - Hardest working player on the team, game in and game out. Fantastic speed, good hands to go with his fantastic work ethic. Started out the season on the 1st line, and has settled into the second line. Is on pace to double his offensive numbers from last season.

A shock to me to even be playing on the second line. Good for him, you're right hard working and has hands that I never really saw last year. Although on NHL 11 he seems to have those hands as well lol so maybe I missed something last year.

Brett Ferguson (B) - Great penalty killer with some good moves but a little lacking in finish. Loses a lot of board battles, but every once in a while gets a surprising shot/pass out of a scrum on the boards.

Great on the face offs as well and does little things that go unnoticed. When he is on the ice his line has the ability to dominate each shift, needs a little better luck to get the puck to start going in the net.

Byron Froese (A) - A lot of pressure on this kid to perform after he came to Red Deer for former 1st round pick Landon Ferraro. He has not dissapointed so far, with 15 goals, 12 of them on blasts while working the point on the power play. He is on pace for 80+ points. My only concern with him so far, is that he has only 3 even-strength goals on the season.

What is shocking to me is that Everitt had us over a barrel when trading Ferraro and yet we still win the trade? Ferraro has been unhealthy again this year and even when he is in the lineup he isn't putting up big numbers. Froese was a steal, I think his regular strength numbers would be different if he were playing with Kudrna or RNH.

Adam Kambeitz (A-) - He has made more than one NHL scout take notice this season I am sure. He is arguably the best penalty killer on the team. He has great speed, and works hard around the net. My only knock on him so far, is that he has taken a few games off here and there. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get picked in the later rounds of the NHL draft this season.

His hands are also questionable outside of his hat trick game but you're right you have to love the improvement he has made from last year.

Andrej Kudrna (A) - The Rebels don't lose out on a lot of trades, and they don't come out as clear cut winners in many either. This is the exception. Wow! The big winger is strong on the boards and in his own end, and has a nose for the net, having put up 39 points in 33 games thus far. While on the other end of the deal, I think the Giants eventually manufactured the departed Cass Mappin into a 6th or 7th round bantam draft pick.

Mappin is now playing in the AJHL this year after starting the year in the USHL where he was being outplayed by many on his own team. If he could of ever got over how much he thought of himself then maybe he could have been ok but he still hasn't and will be playing in Bentley soon is my guess (if he can make them). Kudrna on the other hand has been very steady and unlike games last year hasn't taken many (if any) shifts off this year.

Colten Mayor (C+) - He started out slow, but I see some real improvement in his game over the last month or so, and it is translating into a lot more ice time. He is not the greatest skater in the world, but he has adapted his game to take out the trash in front of the net, and plays in tough areas despite not being the grittiest player.

Played great the two games this week, but up until then I was starting to wonder whether or not he would even be here next year. C+ is likely a little high but hopefully he can keep the recent play up.

Locke Muller (B-) - I do not recall ever seen a Rebel put an opposition player through the glass with a big hit, but I think that Muller will ultimately be the first one to do that. Despite missing the first 6 weeks or so of the season with a broken hand suffered in a pre-season fight, the hulking forward has quickly worked his way up in the lineup with punishing hit after punishing hit. He looks calm and poised with the puck, and gets about 3-4 solid bone-rattling hits every shift. He is not at all opposed to dropping the gloves as well. I can see him developing into a power forward with this team.

He is huge! When the hand is completely comfortable he is going to knock some opposing players out. He skates pretty well and the more I see him the more impressed I am. Good decision on keeping this kid after he hurt his hand in camp.

Tyson Ness (C+) - He is a pretty decent skater, with some great offensive instincts. Works pretty good in traffic for a rookie. At the moment, he is plying his trade on a checking line, but I think that he could put up some decent offensive numbers in this league, if paired with the right players.

No arguements here, doing well as a rookie 17 year old. Very decent skater and offensive minded, I wouldn't mind seeing him get a little more powerplay time.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (A+) - I would be interested to see this kid's takeaway numbers. If they keep track of this stat, I would bet that he has more than twice as many as the next closest player in the league. The teams in the league have really started giving him a lot less room to work, in some cases putting their best defensive forwards on shadow duty on him. Despite this, he still has 47 points in 35 games as a 17 year old. He finishes all his checks (though he is not a punishing hitter), he comes out of a scrum with the puck more often than not, and is nearly impossible to take the puck away from. He should go in the top 5 in the NHL draft this season.

I love how he can just make opposing players look silly with his little head dekes and moves. Every game there is at least one player who is looking for his shorts as the nuge goes by him. You can see how irritating that is to others but for us it is great! He will go in the top 5 and next year with another year under his belt (and a few extra pounds) will be a force in this league!

John Persson (A) - His first few strides to get up to speed look terrible, though it has improved. Doesn't seem to detract from his overall game however, as he is a big body in front of the net, he has fantastic eye-hand coordination, and scores some tough goals. He also blocks a TON of shots, and is a hard worker. He is one of the big surprises this season, and has continued to improve as the season goes on.

He also plays very big, he never backs away from anything which isn't always the case for an import. He seems to like the physical play which for someone who can also put the puck in the net is needed on this team. He has earned the right to play on the top two lines and should garner some interest in this years draft.

Chad Robinson (C) - Doesn't get a ton of ice time, and I haven't really seen a lot of offensive talent with him, but he is good on the boards, and isn't a defensive liability when he is on the ice.

For me one of the question marks on this years team. He gets into most games but rarely sees the ice. At the start of the year I thought he had some offensive upside but I think with the lack of ice time he has lost some confidence. It might not hurt him to send him down somewhere were he will play first line minutes.

Daulton Siwak (B-) - Decent size, started off the season really slow, and really came on in the second half. He has really gotten good at winning faceoffs, but still needs a little work on his consistency before he will become a great player in this league.

He needs to work on making smarter decisions, too many times he is turning the puck over but if he improves on that then he has all the tools to be a great player in this league. There are moments where I can see what he could be and then it dissapears.

rdreb
12-31-2010, 05:58 PM
Who are you talking about 13

Red celtic
12-31-2010, 06:30 PM
Over all I would agree with most of your analysis Furguson in my opion is a C-

RDRebels Fan
01-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Josh Cowen (C+)
My Grade=(C-) Injured too much and does not fulfil his role like he should. Will be surprised if he is back next year and will be having his ice time reduced once the Rebels trade for a grinder, enforcer, powerforward type player.

Turner Elson (B)
My Grade=(B+) You have him described perfectly and to me he is the most improved Rebel as well. He may be the missing piece to pick up a guy like Schenn, Connolly, or Howse, but I hope he stays with the Rebels.

Brett Ferguson (B)
My Grade=(B) Fergie is been a decent 20 year old for us this year. I like that he is not afraid to block anything put in front of him. Needs to up scoring, big hits, and defensive play to get higher grade.

Byron Froese (A)
My Grade=(A) Froese has been a beast for the Rebels and been a steal compared to the so-called captain of the Everett Silvertips that we gave up. Rebels need to keep feeding the one-timer machine that is Byron Froese. Could be a candidate for captain next year, if he comes back.

Adam Kambeitz (A-)
My Grade=(A) May be the best penalty killer in the league, let alone the Rebels. Very solid player that will be a steal for a team in the NHL draft.

Andrej Kudrna (A)
My Grade=(A) We picked up Kudrna for Cass Mappin, enough said.:p

Colten Mayor (C+)
My Grade=(C) Has had an okay first half, but needs to become a bit more grittier on the 3rd line. Will only improve.

Locke Muller (B-)
My Grade=(B-) Been great when he has been 100% and will improve and become the Rebels bonefied PF. Will take up a lot of Cowen's ice time IMO.

Tyson Ness (C+)
My Grade=(C+) A good gritty player on the 3rd line. Paired with Mueller and Ferguson would do this kid good in terms of scoring and being more effective defensively.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (A+)
My Grade=(A+) "Insert Pierre McGuire Hard-On Here" I stille see him has better than many of the players of the WJ team. He should be there.

John Persson (A)
My Grade=(A-) Great start for Johnny. He is the physical force on the 1st line, which is odd because he is an import. Hope he continues the hard work.

Chad Robinson (C)
My Grade=(C-) Okay 4th line centre, hope to see him improve. Could be part of a deal.

Daulton Siwak (B-)
My Grade=(B-) Shows flashes of brillance on the ice, but has been surpassed by a couple of players on the Rebels (Elson, Mueller, sometimes Ness). Could be part of a package to get a Schenn type player.