PDA

View Full Version : It's Official

Stay-Puft
05-20-2005, 12:34 PM
The Tri-City Americans officially became locally owned and operated Thursday afternoon.

Former Americans players and National Hockey League standouts Olaf Kolzig and Stu Barnes, along with Tri-City general manager Bob Tory and Kennewick accountant Dennis Loman, finalized the purchase of the team from Brian Burke, Darryl Porter and Glen Sather, who owned the team for three years.

"We had so much excitement and momentum after the press conference (April 25) that it's good to finally get this done and move on," Kolzig said. "We have been working behind the scenes to get things going once the deal is completed. Now, we can get the season-ticket drive going, the promotion of the team and get people to understand that this is the Tri-Cities' team now."

Kolzig and Barnes stepped forward to buy the team in April when Porter and his partners wanted to relocate the franchise to Chilliwack, British Columbia.

The Western Hockey League Board of Governors denied the petition to move the team March 31, and Porter and his partners felt they couldn't return to the Tri-Cities.

The WHL, in an effort to make both parties happy and keep four solid divisions in the WHL, got Porter's group to agree to sell to Barnes and Kolzig.

In exchange, Porter, Burke and Sather were awarded an expansion franchise in Chilliwack. The Bruins will begin operations during the 2006-07 season.

"This took longer than I would have liked," Kolzig said of the sale. "It was frustrating because when we thought it was done, things would come up and they would renege on something or want something different."

The Americans have been a part of the Mid-Columbia since 1988 when Ron Dixon moved the franchise to Kennewick from New Westminster, British Columbia.

Kolzig and Barnes were part of that team.

"If you would have told me 16 years ago that I would be an owner of a team I played for, I would have laughed," Kolzig said. "Stu and I never thought about this until a few years ago. It has come full circle -- player, assistant coach to part owner. It's a wonderful feeling."

Kolzig said he would like to see the team's season ticket drive begin Monday.

"It's the beginning of a new era. A new tradition," Kolzig said. "I would have liked to have done it a minute after the press conference."

Barnes, who will return to the Tri-Cities on Sunday for the summer, also is anxious to get the ball rolling.

"It will be nice to get this behind us, sell tickets and talk about hockey," Barnes said from his home in Dallas. "One of the reasons we wanted to get involved was to keep the team here for a long time. We know there are some great hockey fans and the interest is there."

Jovorock
05-22-2005, 08:56 AM
With the local aditude it sounds very positive for the Ams future. Kolzig and Barnes sounds like they are having fun and really want this business venture to work. It will be interesting what the season ticket base they produce for the 05/06 season!

Chipper
05-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Its great to see that some of the former players who loved to play for and live in there jr teams citys, that they invest to save the team. There is something to say about former players that just love the game so much that they will sacrifice alot to keep the team where it should be.