PDA

View Full Version : Attendance figures need to change

JMoney1988
01-03-2011, 09:25 PM
I don't know if I should be posting this since I'm new to this site, but I not very impressed with the attendance all season thus far. I mean really, we are only getting an average of 4000 fans per game, expect for on special nights we just got 4124 on a Saturday against a team trying to catch us in the standings, Red Deer, we did win apart from all the drama, but still i don't see why you can't come out, maybe it's because of the world juniors and the popularity, maybe it's because of raised ticket prices. Oh sure everyone is complaning, but look at Calgary, they tickets are between $25 and $38 and they still get 9000 fans a game. I don't know what to think, what do you guys think?

GBG BLEED BLUE
01-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Yep...tickets are too expensive,the team has not won nothing yet,the arena is in the middle of nowhere. Those are all excuses that people will make.

Which is why I hope we can land Schenn or Eakin because those players should attract people to the games and if that does not do it. I seriously do not know what will.

Nook
01-03-2011, 10:10 PM
I think the biggest thing is that the Blades don't do a lot of advertising around the city. Other than cabs, I don't see a whole lot advertising their product.

The Star Phoenix is part of the problem. Other than game recaps, they really have very few stories regarding the Blades. I'm not asking them to run a section on the Blades every day, but maybe write a few more articles every week about the team that aren't game recaps. And on game days? Just that ad at the bottom of the paper. I don't know, but since Doug McCona.. whatever his name is, retired, there hasn't been a lot of focus on the Blade

Another marketing point; The Blades need to do enough to appeal to the casual fan and families. Maybe every once in a while, offer a deal where if you buy one ticket, you get one free. That's great advertising for your product... costly, yes, but you may make that cash back later. And to appeal to families... Maybe create a deal where you get 4 tickets and concession stuff for a discounted price. If you think about it, a night out at a Blades game for a family could be 100+ bucks plus concessions.

The Blades will start to draw bigger crowds eventually, but deals like this might help sell more tickets during those Tuesday night games.

Trav
01-03-2011, 10:16 PM
There's no reason for people not to go to the games, the team is in 1st place in the WHOLE league. Who cares if u gotta drive 20 minutes to the game, I drive 25 minutes to the game and 25 minutes back home, not a big deal and the ticket prices, wow 18 dollars isn't that much, least ur not paying 60-100 bucks to watch a bunch of AHLer's in what is supposed to be a NHL pre-season game.

Show ur support Saskatoon.

patsdude114
01-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Well im not sure how the advertiseing is in toontown but i know ur guys attendance has never been great even with solid teams like u have had the past few years....

as of right now the Blades are hardly avg more fans/game then the Pats are and the Blades are a much better team then the Pats. People in Regina have always supported the Pats no matter how bad they may be, when we have a good team (which hasnt happened for a few seasons now i know) a ticket at a Pats game is a tough ticket to find even if we only hold alittle more then 6,000..... its still more then what the Blades are getting now when they are 1 of the best teams in the league... Saskatoon just isnt a hockey town

trucker
01-03-2011, 10:25 PM
I don't think your team is the only one suffering this year. Sounds like attendance is down across the league, I know it is in Bronco land foresure!! Some nights it really is embarassing!!! I think it's becoming a league issue not an individual market thing. Not sure why... best junior players in the world and a good economy (in this province anyway). Go figure...there is nothing else to do in S/C except go to Bronco games and attendance is down?!? I have no explanation.

lostsheep
01-04-2011, 11:18 AM
i agree there should be more awarness around the city, there is no reason not to be able to get to a game. there are alot of fans that drive long distances (some as far as Lloydminster ). I sent an email the star phoenix once to see if i could out of my own pocket sponser a Blades calendar similar to the ones in the Edmonton sun for the oilers, I was told they run a todays happenings and that should work. I gave up. If there was a calendar people may be able to see future games and plan trips to the city and other events around so they can attend.
________
Couples Webcams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/straight-couples/)

wango tango
01-04-2011, 01:12 PM
i used to get more upset about the attendance.

fans in the city have, until recently, been treated to nothing but average at best teams, and more often than not awful teams. the attendance woes didn't happen over night, it erroded over 10 years.

a lot changed between 1995-2005.

the blades lost a whole generation of possible fans during that time, it'll probably take almost as long to get them back and even casually interested again. they're happier to sit in the comfort of their own home and watch a game on tv, go online, or gaming at home.

for all the awesome events the city has hosted, and all extremely well attended, world junior hockey championship, briers, vanier cup, etc., i think it has come partly at the expense of the every day, every week games (blades, huskies, hilltops). those every day, every week games aren't event enough anymore, because saskatoon isn't a sports town like regina is.

maybe a championship would change that for the blades, but a championship hasn't made a big difference in attendance for the huskies or hilltops.

the team does a lot of good things in the community geared to kids. they visit a lot of schools, participate in a lot of events, sponsor all the novice hockey teams in the city. those kids do come out to the games, and are the teams future.

what about the adults? how do they find out about games? maybe an article in the paper on gameday, maybe on the radio on gameday. lot's of excuses to not come out, it's too far to drive, too expensive, etc. the same excuses fans use for the blades, don't seem to deter saskatoon fans from going to rider games.

how's the saying. winning cures everything. maybe a long playoff run into the 3rd round or better would get the city's attention, and hopefully keep it.

BladesFan_2010
01-05-2011, 01:48 PM
First of all, attendance is not down across the league. There are a half dozen cities that have better attendance numbers this year compared to last, with Moose Jaw being 96% full for every game, the Blades are up something like 4%, mostly due to the theme nights they had.

Secondly, the Star Phoenix DOES do "human interest" stories about the Blades from time to time. Go to the Star Phoenix website, click on the sports tab then click on the Blades. You'll see what I mean.

Lastly, if people will drive from the ends of the earth to go see a Rider game, those same people will see the Blades. Once mid February rolls around, you will see attendance more. I think many people have seen the run they went on , and saw the team go on a bit of a losing slide towards the end. Maybe that gets them nervous about the playoffs and having them stay away. This years team has been pretty consistent though. It's not that the Blades are any better than last year, but the top teams from last year have gotten worse, and the up and coming teams like the Rebels and Warriors aren't anywhere near the Blades level as of yet. I am so glad to see Brandon and Calgary FINALLY go into the tank. It's about time!!!!

hotdog-pocket
01-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Winning cures all. And by winning I mean playoffs.

JMoney1988
01-06-2011, 09:45 PM
I do agree hotdog, but we have had 2 seasons where we have 45-49 wins, also again with another disappointing crowd on Tuesday only about 3500, people have gotta start for the past 3 seasons, we came in first, the year after that we came in second (both in our division), sure we had some weird playoffs rounds against lethbridge and lost out, but the year after that we came back and beat red deer in 4 and took a highly powered brandon team to 6, people have to realize is that we can beat all the elite teams, the sooner will we win a champsionship, but it all rides on the city of saskatoon to support them, come on people, WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!

ElliotFan6
01-07-2011, 01:28 AM
There's no reason for people not to go to the games, the team is in 1st place in the WHOLE league. Who cares if u gotta drive 20 minutes to the game, I drive 25 minutes to the game and 25 minutes back home, not a big deal and the ticket prices, wow 18 dollars isn't that much, least ur not paying 60-100 bucks to watch a bunch of AHLer's in what is supposed to be a NHL pre-season game.

Show ur support Saskatoon.

The distance is definitely not a problem but 18 dollars is not cheap, especially for a 19 year old kid going to uni only able to work 2 times a week. The only reason I have been to so many games this year (12 or 13) is because my uncle gives me his season tickets because he is to busy to make a lot of games.

Kerry Clark
01-07-2011, 12:21 PM
I do my part as far as attending games go. Attendance issue doesn't bother me and I don't spend much time thinking about it.

I live in the north end so driving out to the games is no big deal but if the attendance is 6000 then there is probably 5500 cars in the parking lot. (Because everybody in this city loves driving) and it's nightmare to get out of. It's one of the worst buildings logistically to get out of with a whole two exits one of which forces you to cross a major highway.

The Blades are a casual form of entertainment for people in this city. I know plenty of people that go to one or two games a year.

Plus Saskatoonians are the most non-committal people around. Everything has to be last minute. I once had a UFC party at my place with food and everything and it was like pulling teeth to get people to commit to coming. (And they're UFC fans)

When playoff time comes and the buzz gets out there lots of people will be at the games.

wango tango
01-07-2011, 12:47 PM
I live in the north end so driving out to the games is no big deal but if the attendance is 6000 then there is probably 5500 cars in the parking lot. (Because everybody in this city loves driving) and it's nightmare to get out of. It's one of the worst buildings logistically to get out of with a whole two exits one of which forces you to cross a major highway.

this ^^^^ totally true.

Plus Saskatoonians are the most non-committal people around. Everything has to be last minute. I once had a UFC party at my place with food and everything and it was like pulling teeth to get people to commit to coming. (And they're UFC fans)

again totally true. and who are these friends of yours? do they need a shot in the junk? :D somebody tells me free and stuff i'm all over that, don't have to ask me twice.

When playoff time comes and the buzz gets out there lots of people will be at the games.

someone else compared the possibility of schenn in saskatoon to eberle in regina. that's fair, except the blades are actually going to be in the playoffs.

Kerry Clark
01-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Yeah my friends can be jackasses at times.

To add to this. I think the Star Phoenix does it's part regarding the Blades. I see plenty of articles about the Blades on the front page of the Sports section.

Blades could do a better job on the radio and tv. It's not enough to have a good hockey team anymore. You've got to have hype and buzz.

It's a little different but the U-20 World Juniors is an example of this. TSN has done such a good job hyping this tournament that people actually cry when Canada loses and in the end it's a nothing tournament no more important then the U-17 or U-18 juniors and almost nobody cares about those.

Chipchura_Fan
01-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Yeah my friends can be jackasses at times.

To add to this. I think the Star Phoenix does it's part regarding the Blades. I see plenty of articles about the Blades on the front page of the Sports section.

Blades could do a better job on the radio and tv. It's not enough to have a good hockey team anymore. You've got to have hype and buzz.

It's a little different but the U-20 World Juniors is an example of this. TSN has done such a good job hyping this tournament that people actually cry when Canada loses and in the end it's a nothing tournament no more important then the U-17 or U-18 juniors and almost nobody cares about those.

I can also agree that the SP does it's part. I see the blades on the front page more than once a week, sometimes even almost everyday.

As for attendance, I do think its pretty bad when Stoon has a way bigger population than PA and a much better, competitive team yet the only get maybe twice as many people to the games. Weird..

JMoney1988
01-31-2011, 09:07 AM
I just pray and hope, there is a big crowd on tuesday night against red deer, but just pretty much all the home games, nobody really cares and we will get the normal 4000 to 4500 base, I just hope people open there eyes and see that this could be one of the biggest games in there history of the blades, reason being, they have not come in first in the conference for a while, looks like first in the division is a given (maybe) and it would put us one step closer to having the best overall record, which could be huge come playoffs if we make it to the finals....

Rebelsfan13
01-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Heres a site that displays attendance for various leagues:

http://www.mib.org/~lennier/hockey/att.cgi

How does a city of Red Deer's size that has had multiple losing years still have a higher attendance rating than Saskatoon?

lordstanley
01-31-2011, 11:14 AM
I have numerious of friends that feel there too cool for Blades hockey so maybe that is it, or the fact that the arena is outside of the city pretty much, or also there is only buses going to the game from downtown who really knows, all i know is it's discusting what else are people going to do twitter facebook watch movies like come on !

lordstanley
01-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Heres a site that displays attendance for various leagues:

http://www.mib.org/~lennier/hockey/att.cgi

How does a city of Red Deer's size that has had multiple losing years still have a higher attendance rating than Saskatoon?

Also i had no idea that we would be ahead of Regina im so use to them getting better turnouts

mjw22
01-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Also i had no idea that we would be ahead of Regina im so use to them getting better turnouts

Losing & Parker may be the reason Reg att is down . Still can't figure out Stoon lack of fans .

ave attendance comparable pop
Stoon 4380
Reg 3861
Kel 6078
smaller pop
RD 4500
BRN 4284
MH 4001

WPG & Victoria want teams lol

Trav
01-31-2011, 02:37 PM
I think Saskatoon people r just to lazy to get off their ass and go to games. I've gone to more games this season then I have in the past. I dunno why people here r complaining bout the ticket prices, they could b worse, heck I'd rather go to a blades game then to a movie.

lordstanley
01-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Tix arent to Bad in Stoon i went to the Blades vs Hitmen game last week in Calgary we sat in the upper levill and tix were 18 bucks but thats the upper levill

Food was around the same price but beer is about a 1.50 more in calgary so overall It aint that pricey to check out a Blades game in town hell eat before you go to a game sneak in a mickey and it aint that pricey

Kerry Clark
01-31-2011, 05:22 PM
Saskatoon folks are broke as hell. Most are trying to figure out how to pay their huge mortgage and the rest already spent all the money on the line of credit they took out to take advantage of their rising house prices.

Shootmaster_44
01-31-2011, 07:49 PM
I think part of the problem has nothing to do with ticket prices, arena location etc. but simply they are not pro. Saskatoon has always thought it was a major league city. Many sports fans think we deserve high level professional hockey. I hate to say this, but if Saskatoon were to get an AHL team, I think it would draw better than the Blades do.

Even when I was a kid and would go to games with my Dad in the early 90s, Blades attendance was still around the 4-5000 mark. Nothing has changed since then. So really, I don't see a huge drop off in attendance in the last 20 years.

The only amateur team that draws very well are the U of S Huskies football team. Why do they do well at the box office? They field a consistent winner and promote the heck out of the team. Huskies attendance wasn't great when they first started winning in the early 90s. I have seen it grow in leaps and bounds since those days. I remember going to games as a kid where the West Side stands weren't even full and there were about 3 people sitting on the tiny moveable East Side stands.

Now some of you might say, how do you field a consistent winner in Junior Hockey? It's different than Huskies football. Every thing goes in cycles because you always have players graduating. The Huskies consistently lose players and are always competitive. There is no reason why the Blades can't be consistent winners too. But beyond this, you have to promote the team. I've seen the Blades commercials on TV and they are professionally done, but really don't do anything to instill pride or passion in the product. The football Huskies on the other hand have the feel of an action movie trailer.

Since attendance largely hasn't increased in 20 years, perhaps Jack Brodsky is fine with the revenue he generates. He doesn't seem to spend money on getting the Blades name out there. How many people do you see wearing Blades merchandise? I don't think I ever have seen someone outside of a game. How many people do you see wearing Huskies merchandise? It's impossible to be out in a mall or at a store and not see someone do this. Why? It is widely available. The Blades have one of two options, run their own store in a mall somewhere that sells their merchandise exclusively or partner with an existing store to sell their merchandise. At any rate, if it was more available people would buy it. If people buy it, then other people might see the hat/t-shirt etc. and think oh yeah the Blades, I should go check them out.

Advertising on radio is all fine and well, but terrestrial radio is a dying breed. With iPods, Sirius and XM Satellite radio and CDs, how many people listen to local radio exclusively? People 50 and over are about it as a group. These people have largely teenage/adult kids who don't hang out with mom and dad anymore. Same with advertising in the Star-Phoenix, the majority of newspaper readers are in the same group. So to attract the younger generation, there are three places for advertising. Billboards, TV and in lounges/bars. I've never seen ads on billboards and haven't seen them in bars either. Two places the Blades need to advertise.

They should also wrap buses in the Blades. You should see Brayden Schenn's face going by you in traffic. You should see Adam Morrison making saves inside bus shelters. You should see Marek Vidensky on ads in buses. But you don't and why is that? I firmly place the blame at Jack Brodsky's feet. He needs to spend some money on promoting the team.

A decent team might bring out a few more fans. But people need to know there is a game. For attendance to go up you need to throw it in people's faces. Instead the Blades seem content to be that thing in the corner collecting dust. Sure it's fun to use once and awhile, but largely it is out of sight out of mind. For most people that is the Blades, they have a good time at games once every few years but it is something they don't think about.

all this banter
01-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Very well said and to the point....

hotdog-pocket
01-31-2011, 08:16 PM
Winning.

That is all.

Playoff winning.

all this banter
01-31-2011, 08:22 PM
Takes more than a playoff team to bring out people, 2years ago my son and i could go to a game for under 25 bucks that includes popcorn today we go were lookin at 50bucks nothin has changed...yes there winning just like they did 2 years ago.

hotdog-pocket
01-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Takes more than a playoff team to bring out people, 2years ago my son and i could go to a game for under 25 bucks that includes popcorn today we go were lookin at 50bucks nothin has changed...yes there winning just like they did 2 years ago.

I said playoff winning, not a playoff team.

And I highly doubt you and your son could go, with popcorn, for under 25 dollars.

BigCat20
01-31-2011, 09:39 PM
I think part of the problem has nothing to do with ticket prices, arena location etc. but simply they are not pro. Saskatoon has always thought it was a major league city. Many sports fans think we deserve high level professional hockey. I hate to say this, but if Saskatoon were to get an AHL team, I think it would draw better than the Blades do.

Even when I was a kid and would go to games with my Dad in the early 90s, Blades attendance was still around the 4-5000 mark. Nothing has changed since then. So really, I don't see a huge drop off in attendance in the last 20 years.

The only amateur team that draws very well are the U of S Huskies football team. Why do they do well at the box office? They field a consistent winner and promote the heck out of the team. Huskies attendance wasn't great when they first started winning in the early 90s. I have seen it grow in leaps and bounds since those days. I remember going to games as a kid where the West Side stands weren't even full and there were about 3 people sitting on the tiny moveable East Side stands.

Now some of you might say, how do you field a consistent winner in Junior Hockey? It's different than Huskies football. Every thing goes in cycles because you always have players graduating. The Huskies consistently lose players and are always competitive. There is no reason why the Blades can't be consistent winners too. But beyond this, you have to promote the team. I've seen the Blades commercials on TV and they are professionally done, but really don't do anything to instill pride or passion in the product. The football Huskies on the other hand have the feel of an action movie trailer.

Since attendance largely hasn't increased in 20 years, perhaps Jack Brodsky is fine with the revenue he generates. He doesn't seem to spend money on getting the Blades name out there. How many people do you see wearing Blades merchandise? I don't think I ever have seen someone outside of a game. How many people do you see wearing Huskies merchandise? It's impossible to be out in a mall or at a store and not see someone do this. Why? It is widely available. The Blades have one of two options, run their own store in a mall somewhere that sells their merchandise exclusively or partner with an existing store to sell their merchandise. At any rate, if it was more available people would buy it. If people buy it, then other people might see the hat/t-shirt etc. and think oh yeah the Blades, I should go check them out.

Advertising on radio is all fine and well, but terrestrial radio is a dying breed. With iPods, Sirius and XM Satellite radio and CDs, how many people listen to local radio exclusively? People 50 and over are about it as a group. These people have largely teenage/adult kids who don't hang out with mom and dad anymore. Same with advertising in the Star-Phoenix, the majority of newspaper readers are in the same group. So to attract the younger generation, there are three places for advertising. Billboards, TV and in lounges/bars. I've never seen ads on billboards and haven't seen them in bars either. Two places the Blades need to advertise.

They should also wrap buses in the Blades. You should see Brayden Schenn's face going by you in traffic. You should see Adam Morrison making saves inside bus shelters. You should see Marek Vidensky on ads in buses. But you don't and why is that? I firmly place the blame at Jack Brodsky's feet. He needs to spend some money on promoting the team.

A decent team might bring out a few more fans. But people need to know there is a game. For attendance to go up you need to throw it in people's faces. Instead the Blades seem content to be that thing in the corner collecting dust. Sure it's fun to use once and awhile, but largely it is out of sight out of mind. For most people that is the Blades, they have a good time at games once every few years but it is something they don't think about.

First off, the huskies havent drawn many more fans the last few years.....dont believe me, google it! Maybe average 4300 people.(plus students get free/discounted tickets)

The reason you see so much huskie gear is there are alot of students/alumni/their families wearing it.

The advertising idea has to be feasable, if it draws 1000 more people but costs $20,000, it obviously isnt worth it.

Winning will help alot, the riders had a hard time drawing people 10 years ago when they werent winning. When the time comes again when they are cellar-dwellers, the #'s will go down again too.

In '92-'94, when they reached the finals, they were getting quite a few fans, they even came out to watch the games in kamloops on the big screens!

If they reach the 3rd or 4th round, the attendance should easily be over 10,000 fans. Think anyone would have came to wjhc last year if canada had a terrible team, think anyone would have gone to vanier when it was so cold to watch laval vs manitoba bisons......No they want to see the home team in the big game with a chance to win!

Saskatoon isnt a great sports town. Many good teams....Blades last few years, huskie football (last 15 + yrs) & Hilltops (pretty much every yr) but very little support. You have to apprechiate junior hockey for what it is. Its not the NHL with big name players with huge contracts & heavily hyped and marketed. Most people rather hangout at home or any other excuse then come out to a game. I dont think there is a quick fix answer cuz like I said before, if there is, you should get a job as a ticket sales rep with the team & go make a fortune(commision based). Dont think having ads in bars/lounges would help! Think people will see these ads & think hey lets leave this place with cheap drinks, lots of people of the opposite sex & every sport thats on tv to go to the blades game! Doubt it!

Toswammi
01-31-2011, 11:23 PM

Wow, I take my daughter to Bronco games and it costs us $12 combined for admission. Gotta love discounted season tickets.

lostsheep
01-31-2011, 11:39 PM
I agree, as a fan who enjoys as many games as i can make it to with my entire family ( 5 total ). Season tickets are the way to go, cant get any cheaper. i know its alot but if you really want to see the games and alot of them season seats are the cheapest option. ya food and drinks are too much but the games are late enough for you to eat at home, and pack a bottle of water in your jacket, no big deal. Just get off your butts and get out there. or stay at home miss the game and bi**h about not being there

mjw22
02-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Try bringing someone to a WHL game who's never been to one. I brought 2 people late last year and this year they come to about 50 -60 % of games. For more impact make it a play off game . Both were teenagers .

BladesFan_2010
02-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Think about it.... people in Saskatoon have the money.

Remember when Game 7 vs. Lethbridge happened a couple years ago? The game was sold out! People come from all over the province to watch the Riders (who AREN'T anywhere near as good of a TEAM as the Blades are), so you can't tell me that people wouldn't come out to spend LESS MONEY on a ticket for a hockey game to watch a team that consistently wins and doesn't have a dumb geezer for a head coach!

Rye
02-01-2011, 10:05 PM
I disagree, you can't really compare the WHL to the CFL, let alone a team based in a city compared to a team based in a province.

hotdog-pocket
02-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Think about it.... people in Saskatoon have the money.

Remember when Game 7 vs. Lethbridge happened a couple years ago? The game was sold out! People come from all over the province to watch the Riders (who AREN'T anywhere near as good of a TEAM as the Blades are), so you can't tell me that people wouldn't come out to spend LESS MONEY on a ticket for a hockey game to watch a team that consistently wins and doesn't have a dumb geezer for a head coach!

You are saying the Riders aren't a good team?

What planet do you live on?

lordstanley
02-01-2011, 11:50 PM
You are saying the Riders aren't a good team?

What planet do you live on?

No no i think he means the Riders are good but they will never win the big one as long as Anthony Calvillo is QB of the als

JMoney1988
02-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Once again, my post came true, we only got 3500, I know everyone will say, it's regina, nobody cares, but i do, because we should be getting at least 5000 a game, heck it was -40 with the windchill and 5000 came to the red deer game and it was -8 and only 3500, come on, I'm glad we won, but like my original post, IT NEEDS TO CHANGE!!!!!

Trav
02-03-2011, 10:11 AM
People in Saskatoon are proving their just like Americans, they don't support hockey and that's crazy

mjw22
02-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Once again, my post came true, we only got 3500, I know everyone will say, it's regina, nobody cares, but i do, because we should be getting at least 5000 a game, heck it was -40 with the windchill and 5000 came to the red deer game and it was -8 and only 3500, come on, I'm glad we won, but like my original post, IT NEEDS TO CHANGE!!!!!

:deadhorse:

Kerry Clark
02-03-2011, 12:43 PM
I just don't get why you guys care so much.

mjw22
02-03-2011, 02:55 PM

Maybe they don't like watching hockey in a half empty arena.Kind of funny though Stoon draws 3500 on a lot of nights and the WHL was B**ching at MJ to increase our seating to min 3500 and /or a new rink . Maybe the WHL should now worry about attendance in new rink after the buzz wears off they'll probably have about 1500 empty seats most nights. How about trying to improve the product anyone who thinks this is great hockey hasn't seen great hockey.

Shootmaster_44
02-03-2011, 03:27 PM

I'm not entirely sure either. It isn't like the Blades are saying that we can't afford to operate in Saskatoon anymore and we should move. Jack Brodsky isn't too concerned either otherwise he'd be doing something about it.

Then again, perhaps 10,000 people is unrealistic. Look at NHL and NBA attendances from even strong markets and you will find the midweek games do worse than the weekend games. In addition, some teams which I thought would be doing well aren't drawing great. The other night the Indiana Pacers had 10,000 for a game against the Raptors. I thought Indiana was basketball country, so perhaps everyone has to be adjusted to the new reality of sports attendance.

Just remember we could be in the CJHL where 1000 people would be a huge crowd. The Lloydminster Bobcats of the AJHL have hit over that mark twice all season. They aren't lighting the league on fire, but are middle of the pack in the Northern Division. So just remember, it could be worse.

Rebelsfan13
02-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Maybe they don't like watching hockey in a half empty arena.Kind of funny though Stoon draws 3500 on a lot of nights and the WHL was B**ching at MJ to increase our seating to min 3500 and /or a new rink . Maybe the WHL should now worry about attendance in new rink after the buzz wears off they'll probably have about 1500 empty seats most nights. How about trying to improve the product anyone who thinks this is great hockey hasn't seen great hockey.

Considering the price we pay for game tickets, what would you consider great hockey? I am sorry MJW I am going to have to disagree with you here. I believe the hockey that we are watching is great especially for the price that I pay. I have Rebels season tickets and pay less than 500 dollars per seat for the best seats in the house and that gets me 36 games. If I were an NHL season ticket holder I would be paying over $3000 per seat for the same quality seats. Does that make the NHL game six times better than the WHL? I don't think so, I am a fan of the Dub and have been for years! I am a fan of junior hockey and get excited every Christmas for the world juniors (already have my tickets for Calgary). This is a very well run league and although my team has gone throught cycles I have continued to support each team.

Does MJ need a new rink? Only if you believe that the larger rink will be full. Saskatoon's problem isn't the quality of the hockey. This is their second year in a row with a contending team. If that doesn't bring out fans for the "quality" of hockey than an improved product won't either. I believe others have identified problems that are larger impacts to Saskatoon, e.g. location and Saskatoons inferiority complex of wanting major hockey (i.e. AHL) rather than junior.

mjw22
02-03-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm not comparing WHL to NHL I'm comparing this era to the past when both leagues were exciting to watch. Sorry dump & chase defence at all costs hockey just isnt entertaining most nights. If you never witnessed the old hockey at either level then I guess this would be good hockey. They've eliminated the clutch n grab style but it's still too defensive most nights . Also the player pool at both levels has been watered down due to too much expansion. As for the AHL give them what they want move blades to WPG or Vict and see if an Ahl team draws better I doubt it.lol

SectionNDeserter
02-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Does MJ need a new rink? Only if you believe that the larger rink will be full.I might be mistaken, but I think the current ice surface there isn't regulation sized, and they were required to have a regulation sized ice surface by a deadline that was set by the league. More seating (if they are adding more seating) would be just a bonus.

Trav
02-03-2011, 06:14 PM
I don't see why people complain bout the location of the CUC, it's in a good spot, and isn't that hard to get to. It'd be worse if we had a downtown arena.

Rye
02-03-2011, 06:32 PM
You're right Trav, I don't hear people complaining about having to drive all the way out to Costco ...

Rebelsfan13
02-03-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm not comparing WHL to NHL I'm comparing this era to the past when both leagues were exciting to watch. Sorry dump & chase defence at all costs hockey just isnt entertaining most nights. If you never witnessed the old hockey at either level then I guess this would be good hockey. They've eliminated the clutch n grab style but it's still too defensive most nights . Also the player pool at both levels has been watered down due to too much expansion. As for the AHL give them what they want move blades to WPG or Vict and see if an Ahl team draws better I doubt it.lol

LOL I am old enough (older than most in here I bet) to have seen many different styles of play but your comment is for hockey in general, the WHL is no more at fault than the NHL or pee wee hockey for that matter. Yes it has changed but if you still love hockey then go out and watch. It's that simple, it's not like their is another league that plays a completely different style that has a no dump and chase rule that you can watch as an alternative.

Rebelsfan13
02-03-2011, 07:04 PM
I might be mistaken, but I think the current ice surface there isn't regulation sized, and they were required to have a regulation sized ice surface by a deadline that was set by the league. More seating (if they are adding more seating) would be just a bonus.

Good point.

Kerry Clark
02-03-2011, 07:21 PM
I would say if you're posting on this board you probably like junior hockey and attend games. So I've never really understood why any of us should care what other people do for entertainment.

Other fans at times use it as a knock on Blades fans but I already go to the games and I don't really care about why complete strangers don't come to the games.

I've heard a lot of excuses about why people don't go to games. Living in this city my whole life I can tell you it's a city of excuses. Lately it's become a city of people who are always busy, but I have no idea what it is they're busy with. But boy they sure are busy.

One of my best friends moved back to the city last year and wanted to go to Blades games with me but it's never happened because he's always so busy. The guy is single and has no kids. I'm not sure what he's busy with but I've told him to pull his head out of his ass. Maybe that will straighten him out. :)

I am old enough to remember going to games at the old arena. That was an experience for a kid let me tell you. The crowds were loud, vulgar, and drunk. They openly hated the opposition and it wasn't out of the ordinary to see things hurled at the vistor's bench. I remember one game I couldn't see the score board because there was too much cigarette smoke in the air. (It wasn't all better back in those days...)

The type of hockey that was played in those days doesn't exist anymore. I suspect that is the type of hockey Saskatoon loves and my belief is confirmed, when every now and then things get greasy on the ice like the Rebels playoff series. The fans go nuts and for a few moments it feels like the old arena again.

Wow I typed a lot of words....

Kerry Clark
02-03-2011, 07:24 PM
I will also admit that when I got into high school I stopped following the Blades. Over the next 10+ years I probably went to 5 games.

It wasn't until I discovered that my girlfriend (Now wife) loves Blades games as much as I did and we finally had each other to go to games with. :)

mjw22
02-03-2011, 10:49 PM
I might be mistaken, but I think the current ice surface there isn't regulation sized, and they were required to have a regulation sized ice surface by a deadline that was set by the league. More seating (if they are adding more seating) would be just a bonus.

No we could've stayed at the civic center if we increased seating to 3500 improved consession /bathrooms/internet etc. The reno cost was in the 25-30 million mark. Council & Warriors opted for new rink to A) attract more fans B) more events to city. I've been going to Warrior games since they came to town and in MJ after the "new arena " smell wears off I dont see 4500 a game more like 2800 - 3200. It's not a money spending town. Just thinking Stoon - Reg with pop over 225000 would draw 5-6000 consistently might improve atmosphere .

JMoney1988
03-18-2011, 10:19 AM
I know this thread is old, but I have to wonder after we won the Scotty Munro Trophy, people actually started showing up for the games, but not before, is it weird or what. I mean before we won, the last time Edmonton was here Dec 18, we only got 3559 people, after we win it, we get 7006 against Edmonton, I'm just curious, are people really jumping on the band wagon or are actually starting to believe that this is our year, then on Wednesday, we get 8630, minding that it that it was faith night/raincheck night plus Darian Durant was here, but now we are expecting 9000 people on Saturday, why didn't we get these at the start of the year, doing some math here, the other two times we have played Regina, combined we have gotten 7440, why? I don't know what to think, what do you guys think.........

Kerry Clark
03-18-2011, 11:50 AM
I was at the Old timers game and a senior couple was sitting behind me talking about the Blades.

Husband: "Blades are first place."

Wife: "Yeah but they'll just lose in the first round."

Husband: "I don't know they're pretty good this year."

Wife: "Yeah but they always lose."

Husband: "Yeah..."

sbtatter
03-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Did #10 (#21 for you) help with increasing the crowds after his incredible WJC story?

Kerry Clark
03-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Blades have some Buzz. They'll draw over 10k for the first round of the playoffs.

2nd round and beyond they could be looking at sellouts. Lot's of money to be made. Lot's of pressure too.

hotdog-pocket
03-19-2011, 06:24 AM
Did #10 (#21 for you) help with increasing the crowds after his incredible WJC story?

Yah, he did. Not as much as most people might have expected, including myself.

Overall I think the team will be pretty pleased with the attendance this year, especially down the stretch. A pair of big crowds last game and tonight surely will help out the averages.

For the playoffs, to expect 10,000 on night 1 against PA might be a bit much.

But, I do think that 8,000+ for round 1 is a sure lock.

Anything less than 10,000 following the first 2 games of the playoffs will be a big disappointment though.

saskawhat
03-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Yah, he did. Not as much as most people might have expected, including myself.

Overall I think the team will be pretty pleased with the attendance this year, especially down the stretch. A pair of big crowds last game and tonight surely will help out the averages.

For the playoffs, to expect 10,000 on night 1 against PA might be a bit much.

But, I do think that 8,000+ for round 1 is a sure lock.

Anything less than 10,000 following the first 2 games of the playoffs will be a big disappointment though.

I know the crowds are always a little bigger after Christmas but Blades attendance went up almost 34% after the Schenn deal was announced. http://bit.ly/eE3gr9 With first place all but a done deal I'd give Schenn a lot of credit for that.

----------
http://saskawhat.wordpress.com

sbtatter
03-22-2011, 12:38 PM
I know the crowds are always a little bigger after Christmas but Blades attendance went up almost 34% after the Schenn deal was announced. http://bit.ly/eE3gr9 With first place all but a done deal I'd give Schenn a lot of credit for that.

----------

What did crowds do last season after Xmas as a comparison?

BladesFan_2010
03-22-2011, 02:28 PM
JMoney, if you listen to Les on the radio he gives some valid reasons as to why the attendance is so bad during the first half of the season.

First, you have the Riders who take a lot of attention away from the Blades when the season is on. Then you have all these high def TVs so people can plop their lazy ass on a couch and watch the NHL, which by the way I don't follow much anymore since the dinosaurs that run the league don't seem to be protecting the safety of players much, and propping up teams in markets that shouldn't have a team in the first place. Anyhow....

You also have a lot of kids involved in minor hockey, and the kids are playing games when they could be watching the Blades, plus the equipment and fees are stupidly high so I can see how some families can't afford it. Plus, I think once the weather gets warmer people get out to the games more, because there are hockey fans in Saskatoon, and most will wait to go to a meaningful playoff game with a full house rather than sit in a building with only 3300 for a regular season game.

Remember Holtby's last year here? When we won game 6 vs. Lethbridge the next day the game 7 here was sold out, thus furthering my point above. Whether you call them bandwagon jumpers or not, they are hockey fans, first and foremost, and I think most of them will fill the rink to watch a meaningful playoff game. Think about it, the Riders have been inconsistent in the last few regular seasons, and they manage to draw people from all over the province who drive for hours to watch them play. Maybe people were waiting to see if the Blades would hit the skids at some point during the year, which they didn't.

saskawhat
03-22-2011, 10:38 PM
What did crowds do last season after Xmas as a comparison?

Didn't have time to investigate earlier. For consistency sake I looked at first 19 home dates last year (which took us to Jan. 16) vs. last 17 home dates. First 19 home dates averaged 4261. Last 17 averaged 4486. It's a little better than a five percent increase.

----------

JMoney1988
04-07-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm wondering with the series being shown on shaw, how many fans will actually show up apart from myself and the other 4000 season ticket holders?..... a question to ponder....... good luck guys in the second round!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shootmaster_44
04-08-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm wondering with the series being shown on shaw, how many fans will actually show up apart from myself and the other 4000 season ticket holders?..... a question to ponder....... good luck guys in the second round!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Sasktel Max has infiltrated Saskatoon quite well. So I think there are more people who don't have Shaw for cable. Thus, less people may be able to sit at home and watch on TV.

I suspect that tonight's attendance will be in the 8,500 range. Why? Hockey fans seem to take a wait and see attitude toward the Blades. If they win tonight, then tomorrow night I expect 10,000. If they lose, I see probably 7,000 tomorrow night. If they get shelled tonight, I expect 5,000 on Saturday.

sbtatter
04-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Didn't have time to investigate earlier. For consistency sake I looked at first 19 home dates last year (which took us to Jan. 16) vs. last 17 home dates. First 19 home dates averaged 4261. Last 17 averaged 4486. It's a little better than a five percent increase.

----------

Thanks for digging up the #'s! So Schenn likely did impact the crowds quite a bit, so even if he doesn't win you the mem Cup, he made the franchise some gate money which is good in the big scheme of things.

JMoney1988
04-11-2011, 09:42 AM
So, yeah just commenting, 7500 for game 1, 8000 for game 2, I think those are pretty crowds considering it's on tv. So everyone if the Blades happen to win 1 or both games in BC, should we expecting around 10,000 like we did last game 5 against PA or if we win 1, would it be the same?..... a question to ponder............

Stuck in the Penalty Box
04-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Notsure what the problem is with attendance in this league, but overall the regular season attendance was down over last season. The first round of the playoffs (usually low) was not all that impressive. Second rounds seem to pick up.

There will be a big price to pay for either the Blades or the Ice. Consider what both teams paid to get Schenn and Eakin. Trouble is, one of these two teams is going to be out of the Mem Cup hunt after only two rounds. Which means that one of the gm's has paid a huge price for only taking two steps towards the Mem Cup instead of 4.

Whereas Medicine Hat and Red Deer did not sell the farm and one of them will get to the Eastern Conference final.

Bladenator
04-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Notsure what the problem is with attendance in this league, but overall the regular season attendance was down over last season. The first round of the playoffs (usually low) was not all that impressive. Second rounds seem to pick up.

There will be a big price to pay for either the Blades or the Ice. Consider what both teams paid to get Schenn and Eakin. Trouble is, one of these two teams is going to be out of the Mem Cup hunt after only two rounds. Which means that one of the gm's has paid a huge price for only taking two steps towards the Mem Cup instead of 4.

Whereas Medicine Hat and Red Deer did not sell the farm and one of them will get to the Eastern Conference final.

I've heard roughly $450,000 per round revenue:groovy: