PDA

View Full Version : deadline considerations

witness
01-05-2011, 04:56 PM
I don't foresee another blockbuster (unless we can get a top lottery pick for 2011).
There is a possibility of a couple minor changes. And there are deficits that can be made up at the 2011 draft.

Goaltending seems strong. Ketlo could be avaliable.
Hewitt (18)
Nygaard (17) next year will be make or break
Robinson ?? (is he still listed)
Beukeboom (16) will be a backup and will be pushed by Burgardt (15)

Defense
Both Davidson and Bidlevskii are 19. Do the Pats gamble that Davidson will be back? With losing the 20 year old the Pats will have to make room for at least 2, maybe 3 of the youger guys. Peel (16) and Burroughs (15) will be on the team next year. Look for a push from Williams (15) and if he will commit, McCrea (15).

Left Wing
Scheidl (18)
Martel (17)
Sagen (17)
Stevenson (17)
Stephenson (16) - may need to move to center
look for a push from Harris (15), although I can't see him making the team because you can only keep so many 16 year olds

Right wing
Interesting!!
Mitchell could be moved. I like his work ethic and leadership, but (in my opinion) Lockeridge is a 16 year old Mitchell.
I can't see Roznik coming back. He is just not getting enough ice time.
Jung and Reider are 18 and Moser is 17.
There is not much coming up after this group. Lang may want to adress that through a trade or the draft.

Center
Thin, but extremely talented. Need more size.
Olstad and Weal are 18 (and small)
Ouellette is 17 and a decent size
Klimchuk (16) will be on the team next year and McLean (15) has all kinds of talent but is small and, again, you can only keep so many 16 year olds.

The Pats need to address:
- lack of depth at RW and C
- lack of size at C
- recoup the 2011 2nd round pick

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Davidson should be back next year, since this is only his second WHL season, and he has not seen any playoff games yet. Edmonton doesnt have to sign him this year anyways, and Im sure theyll add to their already deep prospect pool this draft. Barring a fantastic camp, Id expect Davidson back here. The backend will really need him next year anyways, since we might have a oretty young defence next year.

Center is a position we need to address though. Even if Stephenson switches over, it doesnt help our size problem. Though Weal plays bigger than his size, we cant expect to contend if we have too many guys like Weal/Stephenson/Olstad/Jung down the middle next year.

Id prefer to keep mitchell since our lack of RW depth is still an issue right now, and we cant afford to lose too much grit.

hockeyfan123
01-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Whats the status of Muench? Hes small but i really like his hands and his speed.

west coast
01-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Dane was sent down to junior A-to the Battleford Stars.I really thought that Muench played well.He had a ton of skill and grit but he needs to play and it wasnt going to be alot with the Pats.

patsdude114
01-06-2011, 04:34 AM
well here it is late yet again (425am) & not going into much but making 2 quick comments....

1) i agree with everything the 1st poster said

& 2) Stephenson is a C he has been playing C all year long & he has been part of 1 of our best lines all year when he was in the middle of Reddin/Frazee

Also i guess 1 last comment on Davidson.... there has been 2 regular EDM scouts sitting up by me all season long watching Davidson play. I have talked to the 1 more then a few times & the Oilers are very high on Davidson, & has said he is going to get a serious look for next year in the AHL.

He has also said that Davidson has 1 of the best stick checks in the entire WHL as a Dman. Lets face it Davidson's numbers would be alot better if he wasnt on a weak Pats team. He is in the top 10 in defensmen scoring, logs over 28 mins of ice a game, plays in every situation. Davidson has been MR. EVERYTHING for the Pats this year. The Oilers AHL blueline is pretty weak, not alot of top prospects there & they need to start grooming them soon.

Bepoleon
01-06-2011, 11:08 AM
IMO the offer for Davidson (or Mitchell) would have more than decent in order for Lang to move them. I hope both of them are back next year.

Kudos to Lang. He seems he has the Pats back on the right track. I believe!lol

west coast
01-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Guys like Mitchell ,Davidsson and Weal are the faces of the team but if a good proposition of prospects and draft picks comes along....i hope Lang makes some difficult choices and trades for the future.The only way for the team to get better in the future,is to build through a youth movement.

patsdude114
01-06-2011, 04:57 PM
For any consideration of trading Weal it would have to be a slam dunk offer.... even the offer the Pats sent to Lethbridge last year for Ashton wouldnt be enough to move Weal this year. I dont think many teams would be willing to part with that much.

So many critics said Weal was only good cuz of Eberle on his line but yet without Eberle Weal is still on pace for a 90+ point season. That shows just how talented this kid truely is. The Kings got a steal in the 3rd round even if the guy is only 5'9.

If there is any chance of Weal being traded it will be next season at trade deadling not this year.

west coast
01-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Absolutely,Patsdude! Jordan Weal is the real deal.He has enormus talent and an unbelievable work ethic.I believe that teams will knock on Lang,s door and lineup and offer the world for Weal.It will be a tough decision to off load Weal and some other of the vets.However,this team has struggled for a few years and the only way to get better is to field offers and get prospects and picks and get some development icetime for the youngsters.I wouldnt be against keeping the vets if no serious offers come forward.It is never a good idea to trade players just for the sake of trading players.The deadline is near and teams looking to win the cup this year will mortage their future for a shot at the cup right now

patsdude114
01-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Yes i agree teams will knock on the door but i dont think no team will offer what Weal would be worth at 18 yrs old. Rebuilding or not Weal is still a player the Pats can & will build around. With the way the team is playing now with the youthful turn around we have right now adding more wouldnt necessarily be a good thing.

my reasons for it is.....

We had a very strong group of 15 yr olds in our last camp & alot of them will be ready for next season. Plus add in Peel into that group, we need room for those players to step in & trading away more vets for more youth yet does make sense but i think in retrospec it is unneeded right now. We lacked a solid group of 17 & 18 yr olds & Lang has made the moves to strengthen that. The group we have now i truely feel has a great chance of sneaking into the playoffs at 7th or 8th (or at least make it very interesting) you cant go trade away all our vetern players cuz u need the vets around to help groom these young kids into the WHL.

As much as so many want the vets gone for picks & youth it isnt the way to go. You need the mixture & u most definately need that elite talent that Weal brings to the lineup. Weal has the drive to win, he wants to play in the playoffs, something he has yet to do in his great WHL career so far.

It wouldnt hurt my feelings if Lang moved Ketlo, he would be a great insurance for a playoff type team. I also feel that Hewitt has what it takes to play the rest of the year as the main guy. I think though wed have to have the back up goalie coming back in return for Ketlo though as neither 1 of our prospect goalies are truely ready for the WHL backup role & would benefit more from playing on there teams there on now then up in the WHL.

I have started to like Ketlo more & more this year & that is why i think he could be a benefit to a playoff team as a backup.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-07-2011, 03:04 PM
just because it cant be said enough...

PATS need a goon!!! pick up abney for someone secondary prospect. Do it before its too late...!

nivek_wahs
01-07-2011, 03:47 PM
I agree with a lot in this thread. I'm not really sure what I think the Pats need to do or can do.

I honestly wouldn't mind if GM Lang was done dealing this year. I'm starting to really like this team.

rednex50
01-07-2011, 04:41 PM
with you guys having Neigum...why would you need a "goon"??

He'll take on any "tough guy", can actually play more than 3 minutes a game, and is effective in other aspects to the team.

If you want to waste your time looking for a "goon", so be it...but with Shayne you have a motivated (coming home), hard nosed guy who can provide energy, fight, score if needed and a great leader to help the young guys out. Yes, you only have him for now the remainder of this season...but IMO you should be covered.

patsdude114
01-08-2011, 02:39 AM
I dont think we need a goon to be honest with Negium, Bidlivskii, Mitchell, Stevenson & Bell all willing to drop the mits with whoever i really dont think we need to waste a roster spot on a goon type.

We have too much youth on the team to take away a playing spot just for a goon type player.. really the only team who clearly has more toughness then us in our division is MJ & thats more then fine with me. Saskatoon has a bunch of hot heads and any of our so called guys who drop the mits match up against them fine.

west coast
01-08-2011, 03:21 AM
Interesting game tonight.I love shootouts.The Pats win but the team seems to lack some depth when it comes to shootout snipers.Weal and Reddin are money when it comes to shootouts.But after that??? Are all the teams in the same boat.It is rare that a shootout goes as long as it did against Red Deer.

patsdude114
01-08-2011, 04:56 AM
well u have to consider this as well... it took RD just as long to score as it did us..... Both goalies had played an exceptional game, Keumper (if i spelt that right) is 1 of the best goalies in the Eastern Conference & the league.

We are young lets keep in mind & it is alot of pressure for the young kids.

Another stella performance by Hewitt, i swear this kid is the real deal he is slowly becoming a top goalie in the Eastern Conference. He had some shakey starts at the begining of the year but also so did Ketlo which had alot to do with our shakey defense giving up lots of quality chances. Now we dont give up as many quality chances but still give up alot of shots from the outside.

Bepoleon
01-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Hewitt > Ketlo

SectionNDeserter
01-08-2011, 03:44 PM
well u have to consider this as well... it took RD just as long to score as it did us..... That shootout was hard to watch... Hewitt's weakness on the shootout is definitely not low to the stick side, as the Rebels tried to go there on him like NINE TIMES in a row and he easily saved each one.

patsdude114
01-08-2011, 05:01 PM
That shootout was hard to watch... Hewitt's weakness on the shootout is definitely not low to the stick side, as the Rebels tried to go there on him like NINE TIMES in a row and he easily saved each one.

ha good to know i got a great laugh when reading that, I have always been a Hewitt fan ever since i saw him the 1st time in the Pats training camp. I knew that Guhle's backup job was going to be in jeopardy (which it was since we shipped him to RD)

I thought when both Weal & Hopkins scored on the 1st shot it was going to a a high scoring shootout with maybe a post to lose/win the game

west coast
01-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Hewitt was unreal in the shootout,in fact he was unreal in the whole game.Hewitts solid goaltending may make Ketlo expendable.Hewitt looks to be the starting goalie in the very near future.

west coast
01-09-2011, 04:31 PM
based on the ransom that the Broncos recieved for Eakin,makes you wonder what the Pats would get for a star like Weal.....just saying.

whlfan3
02-23-2011, 11:09 PM
I dont know what you are saying but here look at the stats Weal is sick in the shootout but a guy you might want to check up on is neigum being 4-4 saw that today....2 game winners and kept 2 games going all leading to wins...

Guys so under rated

Hewitt not to bad in shooties either

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-24-2011, 12:38 AM
yeah, the shootout has been kind to us. Not that thats something you want to brag about.

Though Hewitt did get exposed last shootout against Calgary. Both guys went in fast, and pretty much had an empty net to shoot at