PDA

View Full Version : goaltending

west coast
01-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Hewitt has a winning record and a .900 save percentage.He definately needs to get more starts.Ketlo struggled last night,i was surprised Hunt left him in net last night for 7 goals against.Two of the goals on the highlight reel were SOFT.Is Nyygard ready for some action with the Pats?

patsdude114
01-09-2011, 09:57 PM
maybe Ketlo wasnt pulled cuz Hunt knew its his last game as a member of the Regina Pats?? didnt want his last to be a pulled game.... but then again giving up 7 id think would be worse then getting pulled.

I do think Hewitt is ready to start ALOT more then he has already. He has paid his dues early on this year & has been out playing Ketlo with Hewitt's recent starts.

Ketlo would be a solid backup for a playoff team who is expected to go deep. With the deal KOO just made today for Eakin, do the Ice have enough faith in Teskey if something serious was to happen to Lieuwen... or what about Tri-City they paid a pretty good price for Ashton is there back up capable if Owsley gets a serious injury? In Spokane there backup has yet to win a game this year & has only appeared in 10 games (mainly as relief)... if Spokane doesnt add a top player then i see no need to resure there goaltending situation but if they do add someone they must take a look at adding a capable backup, even just to give Reid abit of a rest but still have a goalie in net who can give them a chance to win. Ketlo's numbers would be alot better if he played on a stronger team.

I just think some serious playoff teams who want to make a decent push into the playoffs would have to take a look at Ketlo, his price wouldnt be too high & he is definately capable if a injury was to happen to the starter.

Fight Guy
01-09-2011, 11:18 PM
The first thing I thought, when I heard Ketlo was in net last night, was why?? Why not put in the goalie who had a stellar game the night before?

It also crossed my mind that maybe he was in/left in net last night because it may be his last game??

Either way, I feel much more confident with Hewitt in net for the Pats right now. He has proven more than once he is ready. If Ketlo can be moved to a playoff team that needs a good back-up, do it.

Besides, we all know what happens to Pats when they leave Regina... They do a lot better! lol ...usually anyway.

patsdude114
01-10-2011, 11:21 AM
well i kinda agree with u with why was ketlo playing after such a great performance by Hewitt the nite before but then i thought no need to over work him after facing 50 shots the night before & then the bus ride to EDM... if he didnt get the best of rest a poor outing could hurt his confidence after a strong effort the nite before.

& besides its not like we have had much luck agaisnt EDM this year they have spanked us 3 times this year now & im sure a 4th coming up on Mike Sillinger nite. EDM skates us into the ground they play such an aggressive style & with our young group i think it catches us off gaurd even tho we know its coming.

west coast
01-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Granted ,the Oil Kings seem to thump the Pats every time they meet.However,if you watch the highlight reel.Ketlo gives up two unbelievably soft goals in the first period that totally deflates the team.The Pats forwards are standing still on the breakouts which doesnt help the skating game.The Pats have zero fore check which enables the Oil Kings to come out of their own zone with speed.Arent the Oil Kings a recent expansion franchise? Granted ,Hewitt played the night before,but Ketlo should have been pulled after giving up a few softies if only for a few minutes inorder to calm him down.Ketlo seems to get angry in net which would of course blow his focus.In the seventh goal that he gives up,he smashes his stick on the ice and yells at his players.At the final buzzer,he skates off the ice in a rage.As the senior goaltender,he should work on his leadership skills.I hear people say -that the goals are not Ketlos fault.I will give him the benefit of the doubt on odd man rushes but shots from the end boards at the goaline and wrap-arounds are shots that goalies must save inorder to help your team win on a nightly basis.Generally,a goalie should have a save percentage hovering around .900 for a team to be successful.

patsdude114
01-10-2011, 03:57 PM
yes i hadnt seen the highlight reel until just recently some prety bad goals forsure, & ur right he does get angry with himself far to often which once that happens he is done for the rest of the game. His focus is shot as are the teams chances of coming back.

Ketlo's .879SV% is pretty bad for a starting goaltender considering ur back up rookie tender is at .904SV% & who has a winning record whenever called upon to start.