PDA

View Full Version : Button Saddened

Wildeyes
01-12-2011, 11:07 AM
It was easy for Ryan Button to name what he’d miss most about Prince Albert.

“Everything,” said the Edmonton product. “Every time I go home in the summertime it feels like going to visit my mom and dad and that this (Prince Albert) is home. It’ll be really different, but again, this is life.”

After spending the past three and a half seasons with the WHL Raiders, the 19-year-old defenceman was dealt Monday to the Seattle Thunderbirds for centre Charles Wells, a first-round selection in the 2011 CHL European Draft and a conditional selection in the 2012 WHL bantam draft.

Button literally grew up in Prince Albert, coming to a team that was lacking direction and along with Raiders’ teammates Nathan Deck and Brandon Herrod helped build a strong work ethic and culture for future years.

“Coming in as a 16-year-old you’re just a little boy, you don’t know what to do and you follow, kind of, what the older people do and we didn’t necessarily have the best older group,” said Button. “Bruno (Campese) kind of changed that around. You totally develop. You become a man who is ready to move out and get ready to move on with his life in one or two years.”

In 240 games with the Raiders, Button has accumulated 14 goals and 87 assists and become a fan and community favourite.

“I can’t even think of how many people that I know here that have helped me,” said an emotional Button. “I’m going to miss it all. I know a lot of kids. I’m just going to miss it.

“We’ve had the best four years of my life.”

He was also voted the best-conditioned player on the Raiders’ team for the last two consecutive seasons, for which Button credits his personal trainer whom he works out with during the summer.

From Button’s shell-shocked demeanor after his final Raiders’ practice at the Art Hauser Centre on Monday, there were likely a few tears shed at the home of Trevor and Pam Klassen – his billet family during his years in Prince Albert.

“I’ve been with them for four years now so it’s going to be hard missing the little guys,” he said, referring to seven-year-old Gabe and nine-year-old Jilly.

On a personal level, it was a difficult move for Raiders GM/coach Bruno Campese, but, professionally, one he believes will benefit the organization in the future.

“It’s very difficult,” said Campese. “One of the things that we have talked about basically all season long is the addition of an older forward to play in multiple situations. We felt that was an area we’ve been trying to shore up.

“Unfortunately, that’s come at the expensive of a very popular player in our lineup and it’s a tough decision to make, but it was something that we had to do to move forward for this year and also next year,” he added. “We feel that there’s a great possibility of (Charles) Wells being back. It’s extremely important for us to add the depth upfront to our lineup.”

Unlike Button, a third-round (86th overall) draft pick in the 2009 NHL entry draft by the Boston Bruins, Wells is a free agent, which means he may be more likely to return for his overage season.

It’s the first time Wells, who like Button has played for the same WHL club since he was 16-years-old, has been traded.

Despite the risk of losing Button after this season, Russ Farwell, president and general manager with the T-Birds believes it’s the right move for his club in the tight Western Conference race for the playoffs.

“We’re in a real tough division and we think we’re thin (on defence),” said Farwell. “We have four guys that have been good for us, but we’ve really been struggling to come up with a pair of guys, so if we can add a top player that’s what we were hoping to do. This came up and it was real attractive to us.

“We know that’s a possibility, I guess,” he added about Button turning pro. “We’ll just wait and see what happens. I think, that there’s a possibility that he could be back. I think that Boston is definitely interested in making him an offer and signing him, but they’ve told us that there’s a good chance that he could be back.”

In Wells, he said Prince Albert is getting a player who should have a real impact.

“He’s one of the best penalty killers,” said Farwell. “He’s one of the fastest skaters and he’s a tenacious guy who creates a lot of opportunities with his speed.”

The 19-year-old has played 212 WHL games, contributing 40 goals and 104 points for the Thunderbirds.

Farwell said based on what he knows about the Raiders’ style of play, with the speed Wells has he should fit in well.

“I think Wells is looking forward to it,” said Farwell. “He was a little frustrated here. He wasn’t on the first power-play unit and I know he wanted to try and do that. He’s also very competent. He played on our top two lines.”

When the T-Birds were in Prince Albert in November, Wells had a goal and an assist in a 5-2 Seattle win.

Raiders co-captain Nathan Deck said it was a tough day for the team losing Button, but he’s looking towards how Wells will help the team in their quest for a playoff spot.

“It’s a big loss for us, but we got a forward back in return, so hopefully, he can help us out,” said Deck. “He’s scored in this barn, so hopefully, he can keep it going here.”

As much as he’ll miss his teammates, billet family and the various people he’s met throughout the community, Button said, there’s one thing he’s happy to leave behind.

“It’ll be nice to get away from a place that’s cold,” he said, not with his typical jovial mood.

Raider Believer
01-12-2011, 02:01 PM
It was easy for Ryan Button to name what he’d miss most about Prince Albert.

“Everything,” said the Edmonton product. “Every time I go home in the summertime it feels like going to visit my mom and dad and that this (Prince Albert) is home. It’ll be really different, but again, this is life.”

After spending the past three and a half seasons with the WHL Raiders, the 19-year-old defenceman was dealt Monday to the Seattle Thunderbirds for centre Charles Wells, a first-round selection in the 2011 CHL European Draft and a conditional selection in the 2012 WHL bantam draft.

Button literally grew up in Prince Albert, coming to a team that was lacking direction and along with Raiders’ teammates Nathan Deck and Brandon Herrod helped build a strong work ethic and culture for future years.

“Coming in as a 16-year-old you’re just a little boy, you don’t know what to do and you follow, kind of, what the older people do and we didn’t necessarily have the best older group,” said Button. “Bruno (Campese) kind of changed that around. You totally develop. You become a man who is ready to move out and get ready to move on with his life in one or two years.”

In 240 games with the Raiders, Button has accumulated 14 goals and 87 assists and become a fan and community favourite.

“I can’t even think of how many people that I know here that have helped me,” said an emotional Button. “I’m going to miss it all. I know a lot of kids. I’m just going to miss it.

“We’ve had the best four years of my life.”

He was also voted the best-conditioned player on the Raiders’ team for the last two consecutive seasons, for which Button credits his personal trainer whom he works out with during the summer.

From Button’s shell-shocked demeanor after his final Raiders’ practice at the Art Hauser Centre on Monday, there were likely a few tears shed at the home of Trevor and Pam Klassen – his billet family during his years in Prince Albert.

“I’ve been with them for four years now so it’s going to be hard missing the little guys,” he said, referring to seven-year-old Gabe and nine-year-old Jilly.

On a personal level, it was a difficult move for Raiders GM/coach Bruno Campese, but, professionally, one he believes will benefit the organization in the future.

“It’s very difficult,” said Campese. “One of the things that we have talked about basically all season long is the addition of an older forward to play in multiple situations. We felt that was an area we’ve been trying to shore up.

“Unfortunately, that’s come at the expensive of a very popular player in our lineup and it’s a tough decision to make, but it was something that we had to do to move forward for this year and also next year,” he added. “We feel that there’s a great possibility of (Charles) Wells being back. It’s extremely important for us to add the depth upfront to our lineup.”

Unlike Button, a third-round (86th overall) draft pick in the 2009 NHL entry draft by the Boston Bruins, Wells is a free agent, which means he may be more likely to return for his overage season.

It’s the first time Wells, who like Button has played for the same WHL club since he was 16-years-old, has been traded.

Despite the risk of losing Button after this season, Russ Farwell, president and general manager with the T-Birds believes it’s the right move for his club in the tight Western Conference race for the playoffs.

“We’re in a real tough division and we think we’re thin (on defence),” said Farwell. “We have four guys that have been good for us, but we’ve really been struggling to come up with a pair of guys, so if we can add a top player that’s what we were hoping to do. This came up and it was real attractive to us.

“We know that’s a possibility, I guess,” he added about Button turning pro. “We’ll just wait and see what happens. I think, that there’s a possibility that he could be back. I think that Boston is definitely interested in making him an offer and signing him, but they’ve told us that there’s a good chance that he could be back.”

In Wells, he said Prince Albert is getting a player who should have a real impact.

“He’s one of the best penalty killers,” said Farwell. “He’s one of the fastest skaters and he’s a tenacious guy who creates a lot of opportunities with his speed.”

The 19-year-old has played 212 WHL games, contributing 40 goals and 104 points for the Thunderbirds.

Farwell said based on what he knows about the Raiders’ style of play, with the speed Wells has he should fit in well.

“I think Wells is looking forward to it,” said Farwell. “He was a little frustrated here. He wasn’t on the first power-play unit and I know he wanted to try and do that. He’s also very competent. He played on our top two lines.”

When the T-Birds were in Prince Albert in November, Wells had a goal and an assist in a 5-2 Seattle win.

Raiders co-captain Nathan Deck said it was a tough day for the team losing Button, but he’s looking towards how Wells will help the team in their quest for a playoff spot.

“It’s a big loss for us, but we got a forward back in return, so hopefully, he can help us out,” said Deck. “He’s scored in this barn, so hopefully, he can keep it going here.”

As much as he’ll miss his teammates, billet family and the various people he’s met throughout the community, Button said, there’s one thing he’s happy to leave behind.

“It’ll be nice to get away from a place that’s cold,” he said, not with his typical jovial mood.

This young man will be sorely missed for the remainder of this season. A class act!

OldRaiderFan
01-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Ryan Button will not be missed and I'm sad to say he is not a class act. He developed an arrogant attitude and see to think he was better than everyone else. I wish him well in Seattle.

westbeach55
01-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Ryan Button will not be missed and I'm sad to say he is not a class act. He developed an arrogant attitude and see to think he was better than everyone else. I wish him well in Seattle.

i think he tried to hard and that was his problem when he just needed to make the easy pass. he was a great skater and his fitness level is one of the best in the league. he did alot for the community and its alright to be a little arrogont (confident) i think it was a good trade as he might not be back next year boston seems to think pretty high of him and a change might be good

Dwight Schrute
01-12-2011, 07:16 PM
i think he tried to hard and that was his problem when he just needed to make the easy pass. he was a great skater and his fitness level is one of the best in the league. he did alot for the community and its alright to be a little arrogont (confident) i think it was a good trade as he might not be back next year boston seems to think pretty high of him and a change might be good
thought u said in another thread u didnt like the trade
i dont as i dont think it helps us in the future (maybe it does for the duration of campese's contract). are we really going to pick 2 euros plus hnlika.
why not try for a younger guy ?
the svendson deal is a perfect example of what we should have done with button.

westbeach55
01-12-2011, 10:08 PM
guess i should clarify good trading him just would have like to get some draft picks or younger player but wells did look pretty good tonight

SaskHockeyFan
01-13-2011, 02:11 PM
His fitness level is one of the the best in the league? How do you know this? Why would you make such a claim? Truth is he is a real nice skater but doesn't think the game that well. He chooses the wrong time to join the rush and with 14 goals in his career so far it doesn't seem to be paying off. He has an average shot and is poor in his own end and has no physical play. He got drafted because he was a pretty skater that Boston thought may develop into something. Truth is he hasn't yet. His arrogance was with him when he originally arrived in PA, not something that has developed while here. I am glad to see him gone and look forward to what the player received in return will bring. I would guess Button will be back in the WHL as a 20 year old. Wells may be in Junior A.

westbeach55
01-13-2011, 05:42 PM
wells junior a haha did you watch him play last night

SaskHockeyFan
01-13-2011, 06:14 PM
No I didn't see him last night. I do see that he was +- even and did get an assist. All that against arguably one of the worst teams in the WHL. That should solidify his place in the league next year. Just kidding, did he have a good game?

westbeach55
01-13-2011, 07:58 PM
No I didn't see him last night. I do see that he was +- even and did get an assist. All that against arguably one of the worst teams in the WHL. That should solidify his place in the league next year. Just kidding, did he have a good game?

its kinda funny how your passing judgement when you wern't at the game you can do all the stat watching you want. he used his speed very well and created alot of chances hit a couple posts and if you watched the dub game any team has a chance to win everygame it took the third best team in chl (blades) a shootout to beat the wheatkings guess will see if he sticks next year but sure looked good out there last night

Raider Believer
01-13-2011, 08:28 PM
its kinda funny how your passing judgement when you wern't at the game you can do all the stat watching you want. he used his speed very well and created alot of chances hit a couple posts and if you watched the dub game any team has a chance to win everygame it took the third best team in chl (blades) a shootout to beat the wheatkings guess will see if he sticks next year but sure looked good out there last night

The boys did play well last night, opportunistic and skated hard. Wells can scoot and create a little havoc. Maybe he'll end up being a reclamation project that Bruno (to his credit) does seem to have some success with i.e. Parker.
Looking ahead beyond this season, my concern is our lack of 92s and 93s. It should be those birth years that would traditionally be carrying the load for us in a years time. If Bruno is still around, I hope he has an answer for this.

I stand by my positive assessment of Mr. Button and question why people would be saying negative things after he is gone ???

SaskHockeyFan
01-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Westbeach55, you seem to think I made my assessment of Wells after looking at the stats from 1 game, are you serious. You seem to assume I have never seen him play any where else before. I said I didn't see him play last night all I had to go by was the stats. I asked if he had a good game and you answered. That's great that he had a good game last night. Did you ever answer my question about how you could say Ryan Button was one of the best conditioned players in the WHL? As for Raider Believer, regarding Button, I said negative things about him when he was here too.

westbeach55
01-13-2011, 10:36 PM
was the top conditioned player on raiders assume he would be comparable with the rest in the league

SaskHockeyFan
03-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Westbeach55, what do think of my assessment of Wells playing junior A next year now?