PDA

View Full Version : WHL "Grey" board

Nook
05-23-2005, 11:56 PM
I take it that a lot of you came from the Grey bored on Network54.com... but is it just me or has that place become a horrible message board? It seems these days that you can't go more than a few threads without someone bringing up a complaint with the reffing. Not only that, but a few individuals are passing themselves off as real jerks - posters that I used to think were decent posters, who posted something worth reading.

Whenever I say this there I always get attacked left and right, so I'm going to say it here. Being a referee in any sport is a hard job, most of the time if you make a call atleast one side is going to be upset with the call. You try to please everyone but to do so would really be illogical. The refs in the WHL are young refs, as are the players. Players make mistakes, but in the eyes of many, they can do no wrong. Refs make mistakes as well, but everyone feels the need to attack them personally for them. Referees in the WHL are not professionals, in many cases this is only a step in the dream of making the NHL as an official. Something players also use the WHL for. And just like players, I think we have to be patient with the referees as well.

As you can probably tell, I am a referee. Infact, I'm a supervisor of referees. To be honest, I don't think they really get anywhere near the credit they deserve for going out there... you gotta have thick skin to do that. I know that this board is a LOT better than the other for attacks and such, but I think it still needs to be said.

Okay, Imma get off this soapbox now.

peatfan
05-24-2005, 01:10 AM
It's just easier to blame the refs for your team loss. As long as the ref is consistent the players can adjust. The refs in junior hockey is learning and some are better than others, just like some players are better than others. Too blame everything on a poor ref is wrong. Granted there has been games that the ref is way off (can anyone say Zalaski). If you want to critisize the refs at least be sportsmanlike and acknowledge when they ref a good game.
I was an umpire in slowpitch and like you said all you hear is complaining, and after a while it just doesn't get worth it. Now and then you get a compliment and that does make you feel good. It sure isn't for the $$$$. :thumb:

Chipper
05-24-2005, 09:03 AM
I take it that a lot of you came from the Grey bored on Network54.com... but is it just me or has that place become a horrible message board? It seems these days that you can't go more than a few threads without someone bringing up a complaint with the reffing. Not only that, but a few individuals are passing themselves off as real jerks - posters that I used to think were decent posters, who posted something worth reading.

Whenever I say this there I always get attacked left and right, so I'm going to say it here. Being a referee in any sport is a hard job, most of the time if you make a call atleast one side is going to be upset with the call. You try to please everyone but to do so would really be illogical. The refs in the WHL are young refs, as are the players. Players make mistakes, but in the eyes of many, they can do no wrong. Refs make mistakes as well, but everyone feels the need to attack them personally for them. Referees in the WHL are not professionals, in many cases this is only a step in the dream of making the NHL as an official. Something players also use the WHL for. And just like players, I think we have to be patient with the referees as well.

As you can probably tell, I am a referee. Infact, I'm a supervisor of referees. To be honest, I don't think they really get anywhere near the credit they deserve for going out there... you gotta have thick skin to do that. I know that this board is a LOT better than the other for attacks and such, but I think it still needs to be said.

Okay, Imma get off this soapbox now.
The ref always seems to be the scapegoat for a team that looses a game, It is a lot easier to blame the ref for a bad call than a player for not moving his feet and hauling another player, posibly giving up the winning goal.

I know that the refs are also human and that they don't see everything that goes on in the game. How many times can a fan say "what happened over there i missed it" its always okay for the fan but if the ref has missed one because it was behind the play he should be fired. You definitly need thick skin to be a ref and most know what they are getting into before they start this adventure. There must be some rush or fulfilment in becoming a ref, but it sure doesent seem, to come from the fans.

Now as for ignorant fans posting on sports boards, they show up on all boards but there are also alot of good fans on those boards also. Each board has there own standards as to what is acceptable and what is not. On the white board I think they like the edgey style that people post in and have alot more tolerance towards people who are trolling and somewhat personaly critical of other posters, thats fine if you want to be part of that kind of posting.

This board has commited to be a clean board with very minimal Personal attacks, also trolling and baiting is not alowed here. We have many great Moderators here that are commited to kepping this board for the mature person who makes posts about hockey and there teams, not attacking the person posting.

There are many people that don't want to post on this site because of our strict rules and thats okay they obviously wouldn't fit in here anyway. There are people that don't want to post on the white board for the reasons you pointed out and thats fine also. In the end there is a balance and a choice as to were a person would like to post there mesage. Both boards seem to atrack enough fans to keep going. If the trolls, Baiters and fans who love to attack the person come over here which they have and I'm sure will again, they find out very fast that this is not the place for them and soon are gone. I hope you enjoy our board and continue to post your opinions. We could all learn from a ref and try to see things through your eye's, We might not agree all the time but your opinion will be respected.

Scout
05-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Well said Chipper. I couldn't have said it better myself. I have never posted on the grey board and i very seldom post on the white, although i used to post there alot. The lines have become more leanient on the white and seem to get more trolls and personal attacking. I come to talk and post hockey talk, not bait back and forth to get in the last word. Hence why i believe this board was created.

Scout

C.F
05-24-2005, 06:08 PM
The Grey board is terrible. You can't go anywhere without trash talk or immature posts. I haven't been there since I found this site.

The_Vulk
05-24-2005, 08:44 PM
I always hated those net54 forums.

Not just how the forums are organized, but those darn pop-up ads and other crap that one has no control over.

There are so many other (and much better) free forums, I can't understand why people still use the net54 ones.