PDA

View Full Version : Giants lose goaltender Schwarz to Czech league

ScottyWazz
05-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Vancouver Giants goaltender Marek Schwarz will not be returning to the Western Hockey League team next season.

Schwarz, 19, a first-round pick of the NHL's St. Louis Blues, has signed a two-year contract with Sparta Prague in the Czech Republic, the Giants said in a release Tuesday. Schwarz, a native of Mlada Boleslav in the Czech Republic, played 56 games with the Giants this past season, sporting a 26-24-4 record, 2.67 goals-against average and 900 save percentage.

From SLAM! Sports. (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Junior/2005/05/24/1053991-cp.html)

C.F
05-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Big suprise!

rinkrat
05-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Funny Colin Robinson left the same time as Swarzie! They were good friends.

Kassian
05-25-2005, 12:37 AM
Big mistake by Schwarz. I hear the Blues are pretty pissed off. And rightfully so.

Beaner
05-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Have to agree, Kassian.

Nice to see the Giants got Slade before this was announced, I'm sure it would have cost more to get Slade or any other Starting goalie more if people knew for sure that Schwarz was gone.

langdak
05-26-2005, 02:00 PM
As long as Slade can keep his cool, i honestly think we are better off now.

There were too many ups and downs with Schwarz in my opinion, MVP goalie one night, questionable the next.

I hope he can further his career in Europe and move to the next level then onto the NHL, because he has to potential to be there, just has to be used to the north american game some more.

Kassian
05-28-2005, 01:10 AM
Have to agree, Kassian.

Nice to see the Giants got Slade before this was announced, I'm sure it would have cost more to get Slade or any other Starting goalie more if people knew for sure that Schwarz was gone.

The Giants knew Schwarz was going to leave beforehand. Which is why they got Slade to begin with. I don't know why it took so long for this to finally become official. It has been known for well over a month now. I am just waiting for the official announcement of Meszaros going pro. They are really delaying that one.

rinkrat
05-28-2005, 08:36 AM
I am just waiting for the official announcement of Meszaros going pro. They are really delaying that one.

here ya go...

http://www.go-giants.com/index.php

Kassian
05-28-2005, 08:34 PM
here ya go...

http://www.go-giants.com/index.php

Yeah I saw that. I was looking for a more "official" report, you know? Oh well, either way it'll come out soon enough.

Jovorock
05-30-2005, 06:29 AM
Schwarz is a premadonna and never lived up to his hipe, the Giants are better off with Slade. Mezeros and Schwarz were only one year guys to the Giants in hope of a Mem cup run, big waste of Toigo's money.

rinkrat
05-30-2005, 05:13 PM
Mezeros and Schwarz were only one year guys to the Giants in hope of a Mem cup run, big waste of Toigo's money.

Mezsaros was one of the best defensemen in the league last year.I hardly think he was a waste of anything.Also he threw the best hip check I have ever seen,in Everett.Just ask Wurchtel! :clap:

C.F
05-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Mezsaros was one of the best defensemen in the league last year.I hardly think he was a waste of anything.Also he threw the best hip check I have ever seen,in Everett.Just ask Wurchtel! :clap:
I was there, at it was by far the best hit I've seen in junior hockey. That alone was worth getting him. ;)

rinkrat
05-30-2005, 06:29 PM
I was there, at it was by far the best hit I've seen in junior hockey. That alone was worth getting him. ;)

Were you at the Flying Pig for the pre game?
I went to two games in Everett last year,great barn,great fans!Thanks to "Tipped Off",for the help with tix!

C.F
05-30-2005, 09:51 PM
Were you at the Flying Pig for the pre game?
I went to two games in Everett last year,great barn,great fans!Thanks to "Tipped Off",for the help with tix!
I actually arrived 5 mintues late that game. First time a resturant actually forgot to make my food. ;)

I agree, the EEC is a great WHL arena, and the fans are very fun. Annoying at times, but very fun. They actually almost got me dancing in between periods. :laugh:

thankyougiants
06-15-2005, 05:39 PM
I know that that first hip check was talked about on all the sports shows! Great publicity for those fans who are just using WHL for a pacifier until the NHL is back. But there was also 2 hip checks at home at PC that were just as beautiful by Mezaros. By far he was worth every penny, just an absolute delight to watch!

My 2 cents on Shwartzie... he came out of his net waaay to much and often lost.... the rebounds off his pads were hideous! I wish that boy could have caught some pucks!

Just my opinion!