PDA

View Full Version : Lethbridge Hurricanes Blog!

TheRiderman63
01-23-2011, 07:19 PM
So im assuming most people around here already know about Pat Siedlecki the Canes play by play man on CJOC for the canes.That his blog that follows the canes but for those that dont heres a link...http://canesbroadcaster.blogspot.com/

Derek Sutton
01-24-2011, 03:41 PM
So im assuming most people around here already know about Pat Siedlecki the Canes play by play man on CJOC for the canes.That his blog that follows the canes but for those that dont heres a link...http://canesbroadcaster.blogspot.com/

Did you try reading that before you posted it? Siedlecki is a major d- bag and does knot tell anyone anything they don't allready know.

Bocephus
01-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Shoot, I missed the interview with Preston on HTW.
Did Pat ask any questions like how Preston is going to have a mem cup quality team in two years? What is the plan? Is there a plan?
I bet happy pat just asked powder puff questions unfortunately.

shushu
01-25-2011, 04:45 AM
he is hands down rich's and bryan's propaganda minister, he will tell you anything thoughs 2 will WANT YOU to hear.........

HURRICANE'S ROCK
01-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Did you try reading that before you posted it? Siedlecki is a major d- bag and does knot tell anyone anything they don't allready know.

Wow. Since you feel so strongly about this maybe you and Shushu can elaborate as to why you feel this way? .."a major d-bag".."a lowlife".
I couldn't disagree with both of you more. Maybe you 2 know something I don't, but those are harsh words. Pat is in a difficult position as a journalist/media person. He rides the bus with the team and therefor spends literally 100's of hours eating, sleeping and breathing with the kids and management. How do you expect him to be as critical as you 2 seem to be in that situation? Ya, he is supposed to rip Preston to shreds and then go sit next to him on the bus for 12 hours.
It is easier for say the Herald and Global guys to be critical as they only interact with the Canes for minutes at a time.

Derek Sutton
01-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Look at and listen to the guy. His play by play is impossible for me to listen to, the stummers, pauses and homerism. Next game you listen to, count how often he mentions an opposing player by name. You'd be lucky if it hits double degits (not including the goalie). Every shot on net is a "glorious scoring chance", And every save by Anderson is "outstanding". I really wish he would paint more of a picture, with less of a bias.

How many years has he been doing the games now anyways?(honestly) I think its been at least 5 but you really wouldn't know it. Curle and Ridley sure make our brodcaster seem really busch. Maybe not fair to compare but those are types I'd like for us to hear.

I can understand his position and reallize he doesn't want to be the next Gregg Drinnan, that is why I ignore his blog. It is just un-reallistic that the Hurricanes organization can do no wrong on or off the ice yet he is always rainbows and lollipops. He doesn't even have to ask tough questions, just ones we are interested in hearing.

Ask him: about our 20's
-about ice time, and poor penalties
-about why the russian never plays
-why he couldn't/ didn't make a deal(s)

Bare Bear
01-26-2011, 12:59 AM
While I do not agree with everything that Pat says, he is no where close to the homer that Curle is in Calgary. If you listen to him and Thrower, if the other team wins they were either lucky or they cheated! The can spin anything and everything to prove their point. That is their job and they should not be faulted for it just as Pat is trying to be neutral but at the same time show there is more to life than the Hurricanes. And Ridley, give me a break. When coming home from a game in the Hat that we won 5-2 he spins it to the point "Well if we take away the two power play goals and one short handed goal then I guess we were pretty much even" Pat does okay so just be greatful that he does as well as he does.:)

shushu
01-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Wow. Since you feel so strongly about this maybe you and Shushu can elaborate as to why you feel this way? .."a major d-bag".."a lowlife".
I couldn't disagree with both of you more. Maybe you 2 know something I don't, but those are harsh words. Pat is in a difficult position as a journalist/media person. He rides the bus with the team and therefor spends literally 100's of hours eating, sleeping and breathing with the kids and management. How do you expect him to be as critical as you 2 seem to be in that situation? Ya, he is supposed to rip Preston to shreds and then go sit next to him on the bus for 12 hours.
It is easier for say the Herald and Global guys to be critical as they only interact with the Canes for minutes at a time.

when was the last time you actually went to a game,,,seems you spend 24-7 on these board but never seem to know anything more than stats.....i dont have to explain anything to someone thats bored and has nothing better to do than follow a local team on the radio........

moon
01-26-2011, 10:04 AM
How does being a homer and shill for the team make a person a "major d-bag"?

I wish that Sidlecki would actually be able to tell it like it is but that doesn't mean he is a bad person or deserving of being called a d-bag.

I also don't think he is that much of a homer on the broadcast compared to other junior broadcasters. It seems to be the norm in the WHL.

Plus this is more to due with the Board and GM once again trying to act as though everything with the team is okay. Hard for Pat to say much when he knows if he speaks the truth the morons on the board will force the radio station to can him because they think they can fool the city into thinking the Canes are actually not the god awful organization that they are.

CanesCrazy
01-26-2011, 11:40 AM
You are always such a ray of sunshine in my otherwise gloomy winter day. Don't ever change!

Dutchie
01-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Pat may not be the greatest play by play man, but is far from being a d-bag It could be a whole lot worse, remember Marlon Martins. As for Fred Jack, he's far better than that moron in Calgary as far as colour guys go. I wish he would do more road games so Pat can stick to the play by play as he tends to lose focus when he does colour too.

2speak4all
01-26-2011, 05:32 PM
I think that Pat and Fred actually do a pretty good job of calling the game. I have been at the game and also listen and they are pretty bang on when predicting what the calls will be and calling the plays. Pat has improved over the years IMO. It is always easy to look and point and criticize, but it isn't that easy an job. I think they both deserve some kudos for the job they do. There are many who are a darn site worse. Brandon's call guy puts you to sleep. I was thinking of last nights game (Brandon vs Leth) when it came down to the last 16 seconds and everyone is sitting on the edge of their seat with anticipation, these guys have to keep it together and call the game.

I don't think they are required to know any of the 'other' team players or have to call them by name throughout the game.

The teams in the Central Division are played more often and so more familiar to them and then are used far more. Referencing to players from the opposing team like Glennie, Stone, Wiebe, those are stand out players and are noticed. Not the same with the unknowns. This is no different than other announcers calling the game and not being familiar with our players other than Fyten, Braes, Sutter. Most announcers have never pronounced Kuvaev, Sofilias, and some even are not sure on Fyten correctly. So not knowing the names really doesn't mean too much to me.

If you want to listen to a top notch announcer, listen to the game in Red Deer tonight. Cam Moon has to be the leagues best and well versed announcer. He has called games for Shaw Cable and has interviewed at the Memorial Cup. He is very knowledgeable and not only about Red Deer. His Color Anaylist Mike Moller used to be in the WHL and NHL so he knows his stuff too.

Not that I think you need to be an ex-WHLer or NHLer, just that they together do a bang up job. I watched the live game at the end of December and was very impressed with their call. There is no homerism at any time (other than when Red Deer scores - to be expected).

I am not expecting Pat/ Fred to be them. They are their own people. But that being said, I am tired also of hearing how 'fantastic' a job that certain players on Leth do. It appears that sometimes they do get carried away with always, always, bringing the Maxwell boys, Anderson, and Braes-Fyten-Sutter line up, into every conversation. There are usually 18 players dressed to play and for the most part 18 players hit the ice. Some hit the ice more often than others, but effectively it is a team win or a team loss and to continually blow the horns of Anderson or the Maxwell boys is getting a bit old for me.

I agree that Anderson has won some games for the boys -- but heck that is his job. He isn't doing anything more or less than what is expected of him. I agree that the Maxwell boys are good players - but heck that is their job. They are part of the team to score goals or set up plays to score goals. And so is the Braes-Sutter-Fyten line up. So lets lay off of them just a bit. I am by no means expecting no comments about them, but sometimes it gets too much.

Ok.. game on tonight - :clap: :clap: :clap:

TooLoud
01-26-2011, 06:41 PM
I think that Pat and Fred actually do a pretty good job of calling the game. I have been at the game and also listen and they are pretty bang on when predicting what the calls will be and calling the plays. Pat has improved over the years IMO. It is always easy to look and point and criticize, but it isn't that easy an job. I think they both deserve some kudos for the job they do. There are many who are a darn site worse. Brandon's call guy puts you to sleep. I was thinking of last nights game (Brandon vs Leth) when it came down to the last 16 seconds and everyone is sitting on the edge of their seat with anticipation, these guys have to keep it together and call the game.

I don't think they are required to know any of the 'other' team players or have to call them by name throughout the game.

The teams in the Central Division are played more often and so more familiar to them and then are used far more. Referencing to players from the opposing team like Glennie, Stone, Wiebe, those are stand out players and are noticed. Not the same with the unknowns. This is no different than other announcers calling the game and not being familiar with our players other than Fyten, Braes, Sutter. Most announcers have never pronounced Kuvaev, Sofilias, and some even are not sure on Fyten correctly. So not knowing the names really doesn't mean too much to me.

If you want to listen to a top notch announcer, listen to the game in Red Deer tonight. Cam Moon has to be the leagues best and well versed announcer. He has called games for Shaw Cable and has interviewed at the Memorial Cup. He is very knowledgeable and not only about Red Deer. His Color Anaylist Mike Moller used to be in the WHL and NHL so he knows his stuff too.

Not that I think you need to be an ex-WHLer or NHLer, just that they together do a bang up job. I watched the live game at the end of December and was very impressed with their call. There is no homerism at any time (other than when Red Deer scores - to be expected).

I am not expecting Pat/ Fred to be them. They are their own people. But that being said, I am tired also of hearing how 'fantastic' a job that certain players on Leth do. It appears that sometimes they do get carried away with always, always, bringing the Maxwell boys, Anderson, and Braes-Fyten-Sutter line up, into every conversation. There are usually 18 players dressed to play and for the most part 18 players hit the ice. Some hit the ice more often than others, but effectively it is a team win or a team loss and to continually blow the horns of Anderson or the Maxwell boys is getting a bit old for me.

I agree that Anderson has won some games for the boys -- but heck that is his job. He isn't doing anything more or less than what is expected of him. I agree that the Maxwell boys are good players - but heck that is their job. They are part of the team to score goals or set up plays to score goals. And so is the Braes-Sutter-Fyten line up. So lets lay off of them just a bit. I am by no means expecting no comments about them, but sometimes it gets too much.

Ok.. game on tonight - :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well, it is in fact a play by play guys job to "know" the other players. They are all given a media kit that shows how players names are pronounced, phonetically. There is no reason to stumble. I think that along with calling a good game, it is also important to know your facts, and doing a bit of research on opposing teams comes across as professionalism, and makes for a better gamecast. Being a "homer" is part of the gig, and don't kid yourself, even though Pat is employed by CJOC, the Canes have something to say about his comments, I'm sure he's informed as to what can and can"t be talked about. One only has to remember Dick Gibson's "crap" rant from a few years ago to understand that. I have to admit, I am a Fred Jacks fan. I like his comments, they obviously come from some experience, and I really like his approach. He has a interesting way of describing events that is off the beaten path, and as a listener, he really draws you in. Pat is getting better, but a little emotion would go a long way. As far as yapping about how "fantastic" some players are, that's just being a good local broadcaster. While I tend to agree that blowing sunshine up everyone's butt does tend to get old fast, being a negative broadcaster would soon lead to being an unemployed one. As far as the Maxwell's "doing their job", you've got to be kidding. While I'm sure most of us expect more from Mitch, Russ is actually far exceeding expectations. This is a sixteen year old that plays a regular shift, and habitually knocks over 20's. He also plays with an intensity level that a lot of the team do not possess. In fact, I'd be willing to wager that if the rest of the team played with the heart he does, we would be in the top 1/2 of the league, instead of residing near the cellar. Am I a homer? You betcha, baby!!!

canes77
01-27-2011, 05:50 AM
As far as the Maxwell's "doing their job", you've got to be kidding. While I'm sure most of us expect more from Mitch, Russ is actually far exceeding expectations. This is a sixteen year old that plays a regular shift, and habitually knocks over 20's. He also plays with an intensity level that a lot of the team do not possess. In fact, I'd be willing to wager that if the rest of the team played with the heart he does, we would be in the top 1/2 of the league, instead of residing near the cellar. Am I a homer? You betcha, baby!!!

The Canes are currently 1 for 2 with the Maxwells...

What a great progression #7 has had since September and October - If the team consisted of 20 Russ Maxwell's, they would probably be contending for the Memorial Cup! No surprise his 1951 "Leafs" jersey currently has the highest bid. It was tough to see Bancks graduate but the new #7 is just as much of a treat to watch.

On the flip side, all that poor Mitch seems to do (when he isn't floating around) is try and dangle the same D-man 5 times without even getting a shot off, let alone a real scoring chance! Local players aren't "allowed" to be a healthy scratch I guess...?

SectionNDeserter
01-27-2011, 08:11 AM
On the flip side, all that poor Mitch seems to do (when he isn't floating around) is try and dangle the same D-man 5 times without even getting a shot off, let alone a real scoring chance! Local players aren't "allowed" to be a healthy scratch I guess...?Last night he turned the puck over, got a lazy hooking penalty, and then an unsportsmanlike for mouthing off to the ref. The Rebels scored on each of his penalties, and Preston gave him a real earful when he came back to the bench. I don't remember seeing him play a shift after that.

TooLoud
01-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Last night he turned the puck over, got a lazy hooking penalty, and then an unsportsmanlike for mouthing off to the ref. The Rebels scored on each of his penalties, and Preston gave him a real earful when he came back to the bench. I don't remember seeing him play a shift after that.

I have to say, that a 10-2 game needs to be a "teaching" experience. I don't give a crap where these players reside, it is time for RP to show some coaching chops, and start making some of the players resonsible for their continuous gaffes. I find it puzzling that our Russian sits most games (and deservedly so!) for his total lack of defensive responsibility, while we have veteran players making stupid errors on a regular basis. And, it seems, it is the same players over and over. What kind of double standard is that? What kind of message does that send to the hard working players on the team? What kind of message does this send to the long-suffering fans? It is a long standing rule in competitive sport that doing dumb things earns you splinters in your butt. That is one of the greatest motivators for error elimination in elite level sport. With post season hopes quickly dwindling, perhaps this is the time to create a "new" winning hockey atmosphere in Lethbridge. Perhaps it's time to prove to the players, and the fans, that our leaders "get it", "understand it" and are willing to "do something about it".

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-01-2011, 04:17 AM
when was the last time you actually went to a game,,,seems you spend 24-7 on these board but never seem to know anything more than stats.....i dont have to explain anything to someone thats bored and has nothing better to do than follow a local team on the radio........
Shushu I don't know what your beef is with me and the negative comments towards my posts lately. Not that it is really any of your business, but I have had season tickets for the last 7 years and rarely miss any Canes games. I love junior hockey and follow it intently. I have no beef against you personally so can we please keep it civil between us. None of my comments should be construed as personal attacks because that is not who I am or how I roll.
I do happen to find Pat S to be a very good broadcaster. He makes it exciting to listen to a game on the radio. That ain't easy to do. You got no instant replay or anything to help you out. Yes, he gets a bit over excited but that is perfect for radio. Pat paints a detailed picture of what transpires on the ice. His level of excitement is top notch, and yes he does call a lot of the names of the opposing players. Not knowing Pat personally, I have no biases. He and Fred are very knowleagable about all aspects of the WHL and provide entertaining coverage of the games. Pat S to me is one of the better broadcasters in the WHL plain and simple!
We as Canes fans are rightfully frustrated with what has transpired since our 2008 run to the WHL final; but I sure think this team gets back to the Dub final in 3 or 4 years. What with the 8 picks we have had in the first 2 rounds the past and forethcoming year. It's gonna take some patience and very good drafting.
I have had enough of new GM's, coaches, business managers and all kinds of other staff every year or two. Let this group stay together and do it's thing. Robson seems to have a very good grasp on our 93 94 and 95 born players. The management team deserves another 12-18 months to put the pieces together to make the Canes a top notch team for the next 3 to 5 years. One change that seems like it may help is a new coaching team to start next year. A young hotshots coach to guide the new young talent we are going to have I think might be needed.
Anyhow ShuShu........we are both Canes fans so let's keep it civil between us.

Bocephus
02-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Moser and Ross as your shootout choices? A player with a single goal on the season who sat the last half of the game and then a converted defenseman? ***! He seriously has to have a learning disability. Let's be honest.

Bocephus
02-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Moser and Ross as your shootout choices? A player with a single goal on the season who sat the last half of the game and then a converted defenseman? ***! He seriously has to have a learning disability. Let's be honest. That's a slap in the face to the players that battled their asses off the entire game.

moon
02-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Moser and Ross as your shootout choices? A player with a single goal on the season who sat the last half of the game and then a converted defenseman? ***! He seriously has to have a learning disability. Let's be honest. That's a slap in the face to the players that battled their asses off the entire game.

It isn`t like there are a ton of skilled guys sitting on the bench who would be able to score.

I love Braes but he is a hard work guy not a great option for the SO. Maxwell is on the team because the Canes suck, no other team has him wasting a 20 year old spot. And although talented Kuvaev is likely to quit by the time he is at the blueline because he doesn`t feel like trying on the SO.

Preston certainly is an idiot coach but it is his horrible decisions as a GM that kills the Canes when it comes to the SO.

PeacefulChaos
02-03-2011, 09:37 AM
I think I would have put in Russ before Ross, not sure what Preston was thinking there.

Good to see an almost packed house for Gordie Howe night. Hopefully the exciting finish to last nights game might have attracted some new fans!

Bocephus
02-03-2011, 05:54 PM
It isn`t like there are a ton of skilled guys sitting on the bench who would be able to score.

I love Braes but he is a hard work guy not a great option for the SO. Maxwell is on the team because the Canes suck, no other team has him wasting a 20 year old spot. And although talented Kuvaev is likely to quit by the time he is at the blueline because he doesn`t feel like trying on the SO.

Preston certainly is an idiot coach but it is his horrible decisions as a GM that kills the Canes when it comes to the SO.
I can't believe you're defending Preston. Now I've read everything!

shushu
02-04-2011, 02:27 AM
Anyhow ShuShu........we are both Canes fans so let's keep it civil between us.

i agree........