PDA

View Full Version : Altering the Memorial Cup Format

The_Vulk
05-24-2005, 08:54 PM
With how the TV announcers have been always saying, the Defending Memorial Cup Champs, etc.

I was wondering, if they should change the format to include, each year, the Defending Champs, or leave it as is?

The_Vulk
05-24-2005, 09:05 PM
damn thing ate my poll.

I was wondering (with the following options):

No, keep it just the way it is (three League Champs plus the Host Team).

Yes, but remove the Host Team (just the three League Champs).

Yes, have the three League Champs, the Host Team AND the Defending Cup Champs all in it.

Other...

kelownakarl
05-24-2005, 11:44 PM
It is so hard to justify any change to the host team system. There is alot of planning behind hosting an event and a team cant win their league one day and start planning to host the cup in two weeks the next day...... a nd if a town hosts it and their team isnt in it, will they do well selling tickets????

Jovorock
05-25-2005, 06:35 AM
I think leaving the format the way it is. Most of the time teams trade away futures players to make a run at the Memorial Cup. In most cases the team that wins is average after and would be a waste in the Cup finals.

The_Vulk
05-25-2005, 02:39 PM
It is so hard to justify any change to the host team system. There is alot of planning behind hosting an event and a team cant win their league one day and start planning to host the cup in two weeks the next day...... and if a town hosts it and their team isnt in it, will they do well selling tickets????
The CFL and the NFL both know where the championship site is going to be, years in advance, with no guarentee the host city's team will be in.

It is the event, after all, that sells the tickets, not the team.

I can't recall the last Memorial Cup were tickets were still available for the games, and where season ticket holders have to give up their seats for the media and sponcers.

And I did not say that the picking of the Tournament would take place at the end of the league's championship game/round of the same year.

But the question still remains;

Should we go back to where it was just the league champs (no host team),
or
Leave it as it,
or
Should we also include the Defending Memorial Cup Champs, to add to the feel of the tournament?

RunTheGoalie
06-05-2005, 10:45 AM
No, the defending champ should not automatically come back. The massive roster turnover that teams experience can turn a championship team one year into a mediocre one the next. Such an instance would cheapen the entire tournament.