PDA

View Full Version : Red Deer vs Lethbridge

2speak4all
01-26-2011, 11:50 PM
nothing to be said. Stunk! I hope Preston watches the entire game in replay mode and makes notes of the players who took crap penalties and cost some goals and we don't see their butt off the bench in the next game.

The last two games with breakaways was awful.

No more comments from here. Still shaking my head after the first 20 minutes, never mind the outcome of the game.

shushu
01-27-2011, 01:45 AM
look at old roy, by the 3rd season he had boychuck, king ,fadden, sceviour,wright and the rest in place....what does old rich have 2 show after 2 going on 3........NOTHING......and i cant see anything for at least 2 more years..great job you old fart...anyone, and i mean anyone that knows anything about major jr knows that 19teen year old forward and d win you chapionships 4 the simple reason of you can stock pile as many as you need at that age. and we have NONE next year.....plain and simple...what does that tell you about a has bin.....time to move on you............ps...i hope with all my heart that we do not get the mem cup 4 the simple reason that everything we have saved will be traded away to try to win a 1 year thing and after that we will be in the same shape as we are right now..............

2speak4all
01-27-2011, 01:50 AM
had Fadden, King, Boychuck, Sceviour and for 2 years Lethbridge went a fair distance and THAT is why were have nothing now. We are paying the price for what Trader Roy did in 2 years.

One breath you say you hope you don't get the MC cause he will trade to get players for one year of competitiveness and that is exactly what Trader Roy did. I have frustrations also, but tonight I believe the boys were simply out played, out classed and out coached. Frustration sets in after a 4-0 in the first and it isn't going to go away.

Friday should prove interesting.

shushu
01-27-2011, 02:33 AM
how can you compare a gm that builds a team within 3 years and has all the pieces in place at that time to a gm that is all about a long term process that will benefit from things aways down the road,BUT will sell off pieces of that to make a run IF we get the mem cup...i cant see how you cannot see the differants, and if you cant you have no clue of what you are talking about...............

moon
01-27-2011, 09:56 AM
had Fadden, King, Boychuck, Sceviour and for 2 years Lethbridge went a fair distance and THAT is why were have nothing now. We are paying the price for what Trader Roy did in 2 years.

That's BS.

Preston was left with Ashton and Beach two very valuable assets and got garbage for both of them.

Preston had a chance to trade some guys at the deadline and instead held on to everyone hoping that they might luck into 8th and get swept in 4 straight.

Preston hasn't brought in any talent and the Canes are an old team in the league with little hope for the future.

Sure the prospect pool wasn't great because Roy traded youth away for a lot of talent, but somehow Preston has made that pool even weaker while at the same time making the current team god awful.

Bocephus
01-27-2011, 10:31 AM
moon, the biggest issue why some of these trades seem so awful is because RP has failed to develop the incoming players. Hood, Oslanski, Johnston, and Reddington are examples IMO. Factor in the players that were in the system that haven't developed as expected either and we have our current situation. That is on the coaching staff.
I don't know what's wrong since I'm not on the inside but you can rest assured something is off behind the scenes that us fans don't see. The man at the top of the decision tree needs to locate the issue and address it with replacements.
Sometimes loyalty is the worst thing. Time has come to separate emotion and make some tough decisions.

Bocephus
01-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Although the Sbisa trade has to go down as a colossal/catastrophic failure by RP. Considering what hamonic, Eakin, Ashton, Schenn, etc were traded for the trade for Sbisa is a head shaker. We essentially traded Sbisa, Bartschi(top 10 scorer this year and top prospect) for a nice defenseman in Johnston and a very average import in Berglund and a euro pick that RP used on Kuvaev who sits nightly. That's failure 101 folks.

dubfan11
01-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Although the Sbisa trade has to go down as a colossal/catastrophic failure by RP. Considering what hamonic, Eakin, Ashton, Schenn, etc were traded for the trade for Sbisa is a head shaker. We essentially traded Sbisa, Bartschi(top 10 scorer this year and top prospect) for a nice defenseman in Johnston and a very average import in Berglund and a euro pick that RP used on Kuvaev who sits nightly. That's failure 101 folks.

Don't kid yourself...the Canes wouldn't have drafted Bartschi. The Winterhawks pulled him from obscurity with Mike Johnston's connections in Switzerland, much like Niederreiter. So operating on that assumption it would have been better to hang on to Sbisa for the rest of the dismal season with playoffs nowhere in sight and draft a Euro that may or may not show up? We'd be without our most consistent and top +/- defenceman and our top euro who is top 4 in points on our team. I don't consider that a failure in itself. Kuvaev is a tough situation, but unfortunately when you draft euros you don't always know what you're going to get...adjustment to N. America game is not always an easy one.

Bocephus
01-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Well Dubfan11 I think we could have had a pretty good import with the 7th overall pick if I am recalling draft position correctly even if it wasn't Bartschi. I wouldn't window dress Berglund's stats by saying he is fourth in scoring. The Canes are offensively anorexic. I do like johnston but he seems to be good for a glorious miscue per game. At least its caused by aggression and not lack of effort.
I can't wait to get a pic with Mr. Hockey! Would he elbow me if I asked?

moon
01-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Don't kid yourself...the Canes wouldn't have drafted Bartschi. The Winterhawks pulled him from obscurity with Mike Johnston's connections in Switzerland, much like Niederreiter. So operating on that assumption it would have been better to hang on to Sbisa for the rest of the dismal season with playoffs nowhere in sight and draft a Euro that may or may not show up? We'd be without our most consistent and top +/- defenceman and our top euro who is top 4 in points on our team. I don't consider that a failure in itself. Kuvaev is a tough situation, but unfortunately when you draft euros you don't always know what you're going to get...adjustment to N. America game is not always an easy one.

Not sure why the only option was to accept that deal from Portland or to keep him.

They could have asked for more from Portland or dealt him somewhere else. He was one of, if not the, most coveted players and should have got a return that helped this team improve not got us 3 mediocre players.

CanesCrazy
01-27-2011, 12:45 PM
You have to remember that it was already determined that Sbisa was going to be in the Olympics and therefore missing a large number of games. His value on the selling block was not in helping a team make the playoffs because by the time he returned to the dub, that fact would pretty much be a given. His value was in getting them further in the playoffs.

That is totally different than the situation with Ashton, Eakin and Schenn who were all expected to be with their teams immediately following the World Juniors.

2speak4all
01-27-2011, 12:53 PM
value of a trade from one year to the next. This year the league standing are so close to each other, that the value of the stock increases dramatically. One player could give you the edge over another team by just one point or two which could determine home ice advantage.

Therefore the costly trades. Even Regina GM said he wasn't offered anything close to what he got for Ashton for Eberle last year. Is that to say that Ashton is worth more than Eberle - not IMO even close to it.

Bocephus
01-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Pretty niave to take what comes from Brent Parker's mouth as truth.

shushu
01-27-2011, 03:46 PM
preston comes out and says this team is all about the future and in the last year and a half has lived up to it with his trades..nothing but draft pick,fair enough..the problem lies in the separation between the the 95/96 age groups that are very high picks and what remains of this team now, which isnt much.....so you would think that a person would try to fill that void between thoughs 2 by taking your 2 most valuable asset in braes and fyten(especially as 19 year olds) and trading 4 a year or two younger to speed up the process, also to bolster up the 93 and 94 players to help out for the mem cup bid...but he does nothing.....i would have argued this point with moon until the end of time....until this years deadline, when RP had the chance to move 2 players in a very overinflated draft and move his plan along quicker.....yet here we sit with not much to show and a future that is at least 2 years away from what i can see.........

grainbear
01-27-2011, 07:00 PM
The movie is the good the bad and the ugly. Boy did we see the last portion last night in Red Deer
The only thing is I do not like to see it in a hockey rink. Oh the highs and lows of junior hockey. I am still a believer, Yes it was terrible but I am going to shut my mouth,sit on my hands and wait . We have had too many carnivals around here with gm and coachess coming in and out. The man has said all along that he wants a team that is competitive for more then one year. He stated that this team after last year that the team would make the playoffs, so far it appears that this will be the case even if it is the last spot. I will wait and yes we have been told that it is always next year. But we were told only that we would make the playoffs , okay . I will accept that and await the end of the season to hear next years prognosis and it had better be much improved from merely making it . The clock marches on.

canes77
01-28-2011, 04:21 AM
You have to remember that it was already determined that Sbisa was going to be in the Olympics and therefore missing a large number of games. His value on the selling block was not in helping a team make the playoffs because by the time he returned to the dub, that fact would pretty much be a given. His value was in getting them further in the playoffs.

That is totally different than the situation with Ashton, Eakin and Schenn who were all expected to be with their teams immediately following the World Juniors.

That's right! And wasn't Sbisa also injured at the World Juniors? Add that to the absence during the Olympics... that's why his value was lower. I doubt Preston would have turned down a better offer.

I don't think some of you realize how tight teams are with their list of 50 players/prospects! The Canes have a bunch of excellent 15 and 16 year olds on their list and I don't think Preston wanted a bunch more during this year's trade frenzy. Remember with the Eakin trade, Swift Current had to cut 5 prospects (AND 3 spots for future draft picks) off of their 50 player list in order to bring in the guys they received for Eakin (and that same day, Kootenay was then able to add any 5 prospects they desired). For the Canes, that's likely why no one (Kiziuk) was added to the Canes roster until the day after Reners was traded. The Canes seem to be real confident with their young "known" prospects and not very willing to cut a few of them just to bring in more "unknown" prospects.

My only question now is... Which Canes team will show up on this weekend against Kootenay? Like grainbear said, based on the last 2 games it's either going to be good, bad, or ugly!

GO CANES GO

canes77
01-28-2011, 04:44 AM
... used on Kuvaev who sits nightly...

Speaking of that... interestingly before the game in Red Deer, Preston said that Kuvaev's agent came to Leth earlier this week and they all had a meeting together. He said some things were cleared up and that he would be playing again, who knows whether that means every game or what... sounds positive though for a player in his draft year.

Mitch Maxwell deserves to be a healthy scratch if anyone... but does Preston dare upset Maxwell's extended family during a home game?

Last night he turned the puck over, got a lazy hooking penalty, and then an unsportsmanlike for mouthing off to the ref. The Rebels scored on each of his penalties, and Preston gave him a real earful when he came back to the bench. I don't remember seeing him play a shift after that.

At least Preston benched him for 25+ minutes in Red Deer after his two dumb penalties gave RD two goals in 48 seconds!