PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts for the boys

Raider Believer
02-02-2011, 06:40 PM
The following would apply just as well to hockey!

Be true to the game, because the game will be true to you. If you try to shortcut the game, then the game will shortcut you. If you put forth the effort, good things will be bestowed upon you. That's truly about the game, and in some ways that's about life too.
~ Michael Jordan

chalk_one_up
02-03-2011, 08:22 AM
And don't go sucker punching anyone with their gloves still on.

tito34
02-03-2011, 09:55 AM
That would help especially with Hopkins running the powerplay. That is one special player. Not sure how connor was supposely going to the stick with Portland. Could split up Bettauer and Corbin they had a rough night.

Dwight Schrute
02-03-2011, 05:10 PM
what happenned with conner ?

Dwight Schrute
02-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Petrovic was tricking Connor into a fight and was pretending to drop his gloves and was cross checking Connor so Connor dropped the gloves and ko'd Petrovic. I didnt like the punch but Petrovic was pretending he was going to drop them.

and they got a 6 min pp outta it ?

mjw22
02-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Petrovic was tricking Connor into a fight and was pretending to drop his gloves and was cross checking Connor so Connor dropped the gloves and ko'd Petrovic. I didnt like the punch but Petrovic was pretending he was going to drop them.

Sounds like Petrovic

Rebelsfan13
02-04-2011, 07:52 AM
So that's what you do when someone doesn't drop the gloves with you ...wait until they aren't looking and sucker punch them....? Don't even start on the Cowan hit in Stoon either, I am a Rebels fan but I didn't stick up for him there. It was a stupid shot and he deserved the suspension.

What reason can you have to justify a cheap shot? I guess Moore had it coming from Bertuzzi right?

The game is a tough game, play it that way but don't be cheap about it, and then try to justify it.

westbeach55
02-04-2011, 07:58 AM
thats what you get when you start acting like you are going to drop your gloves and you don't. If he didn't want to drop the gloves then stop making motions like your going to drop them

So that's what you do when someone doesn't drop the gloves with you ...wait until they aren't looking and sucker punch them....? Don't even start on the Cowan hit in Stoon either, I am a Rebels fan but I didn't stick up for him there. It was a stupid shot and he deserved the suspension.

What reason can you have to justify a cheap shot? I guess Moore had it coming from Bertuzzi right?

The game is a tough game, play it that way but don't be cheap about it, and then try to justify it.

Rebelsfan13
02-04-2011, 09:16 AM
More justifying cheap shots? Brilliant!

Wildeyes
02-04-2011, 10:28 AM
He is not justifying a cheap shot Connor was under the impression that he was going to fight and was not going to wait to get punched first. When player with over 100 PIMS this year cross checks you repeatably. Then gets his gloves up it looks like he wants to fight and as a player getting cross check do you wait to get punched first be for you think its a fight.

Its unfortunate but Petro know what will happen hes is not stupid.

Everyone know that he is a 100pims guy dont cross check a tough guy and expect not to get in a fight

Raider Believer
02-04-2011, 10:40 AM
thats what you get when you start acting like you are going to drop your gloves and you don't. If he didn't want to drop the gloves then stop making motions like your going to drop them

for once I agree with westbeach

Wildeyes
02-04-2011, 10:43 AM
WOW HELL HAS FROZEN OVER :eek:

chalk_one_up
02-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Now, if that happened to a Raider, I'm sure the fans would be incensed about it, but because you lost the game, you need to take something out of the fact that Red Deer scored 5 unanswered goals to win the game. If that is what allowed you to leave the rink happy, than so be it.

I think it's a chicken **** move. Regardless of goating someone into a fight, it still doesn't give you the right to smoke someone when he's not expecting it. Maybe Alex wasn't interested and was goating Conner, and maybe his intent wasn't anything and that giving the Raiders another boost, already up 3-1 in the game, probably wasn't in his best efforts.

Has there been suspension handed down?

Wildeyes
02-04-2011, 02:41 PM
He was goating conner into a fight how could he not expect a punch. He is trying to engage some one into a fight. If he is going to do that make sure you protect yourself.

TinCupJoe
02-04-2011, 03:12 PM
I was at the game on wednesday. I was sitting close to the action. This is what I saw.
1..Petrovic crosschecked Connor.
2..Connor retaliated with a cross check of his own.
3..Petrovic punches Connor in the mouth.
4.. Words exchanged, like u wanna go?
5..Petrovic shakes his hands as if he's going to drop his gloves.
6..Connor drops his gloves and hits Petrovic
7..Petrovic drops

This is how I saw it. only my perception tho, everyone tends to see thing slightly different.

jnofish1
02-04-2011, 04:41 PM
More justifying cheap shots? Brilliant!

its called common sense.................

SectionNDeserter
02-04-2011, 04:44 PM
He has only had 1 fight this year where the other fighter didnt get the instigator.Out of 4. One after a hard but clean hit, one after a legitimate elbow on a player he hit (who was 6 inches shorter than him), one on a generally unstable player (Machacek) who picked up his 4th suspension in a one year period on the play). Other fight was against another 'skilled' player and there was no instigator.

Rebelsfan13
02-04-2011, 07:58 PM
I was at the game on wednesday. I was sitting close to the action. This is what I saw.
1..Petrovic crosschecked Connor.
2..Connor retaliated with a cross check of his own.
3..Petrovic punches Connor in the mouth.
4.. Words exchanged, like u wanna go?
5..Petrovic shakes his hands as if he's going to drop his gloves.
6..Connor drops his gloves and hits Petrovic
7..Petrovic drops

This is how I saw it. only my perception tho, everyone tends to see thing slightly different.

You forgot to mention that the sky is pink in your world. Petro is clearly showing he is not going to fight and connor corks him, it was cheap and suspension worthy.

westbeach55
02-04-2011, 11:25 PM
were you at game because the only video ive seen of the fight you wouldn't be able to tell much from it looks like it was a cheap shot from the video unless you were there or have a better camera angle then the one on you tube

You forgot to mention that the sky is pink in your world. Petro is clearly showing he is not going to fight and connor corks him, it was cheap and suspension worthy.

raider 08
02-05-2011, 12:06 PM
To those that weren't there, you can choose to believe what you wish, . Believe it in pink with sucker punches stuck to it, if you want! What did happen is this: connor takes a check and a stick to the face from petrovic behind and off to the side of the net, ref misses this call, connor moves to slot area to play a pass from his winger, petro ties connor up, they jostle a bit, puck goes back into connor’s corner and tries to get around petro, petro holds connor from going there, connor tries to shake loose, petro won't let go, connor says, do you want to go, petro agrees, petro rams his stick in connor’s face ( two sticks infractions in a span of less than 5 sec.) The fight is on and connor has had enough of this guy and who wouldn't by now? connor grabs his sweater with his left and punches with his right and caught him square on. The sad thing is, who really instigated all of this and who is serving a suspension now..... Petrovic had it coming to him. Petro would probably get away with that stick work and tough play with most guys in the league, but not all.

Rebelsfan13
02-05-2011, 12:12 PM
I guess if it was an innocent as all you Raider fans believe then the league won't be doing anything more about it....then again the whl website has this

2/03/11 Austin Connor
Prince Albert
Tbd under supplemental discipline versus Red Deer on February 2

Rebelsfan13
02-05-2011, 02:47 PM
They likely get more right than you bahahaha:clap:

jnofish1
02-05-2011, 05:46 PM
I guess if it was an innocent as all you Raider fans believe then the league won't be doing anything more about it....then again the whl website has this

2/03/11 Austin Connor
Prince Albert

suck it up already!!!!hate connor for not taking any ****!!!!!!!!!!!!! get a life

Sabes
02-05-2011, 07:25 PM

2/03/11 Austin Connor
Prince Albert

Nobody said it was innocent. And it also wasn't a blatant sucker punch. 3 games is what he got.

Green team
02-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Austin Conner gets 3 games for receiving the lumber from Alex Petrovic, and doing what Petrovic had coming. Lots of text and chat going around the league, players, scouts etc. about Petrovic and his stickwork and good on Conner for not backing down from his bull****. Conner should have got 5 for fighting, Petrovic should have got 2 for high stick or an instigator, but being Conner laid out Petrovic on his first punch the refs feel they had to go hard on Conner. And the league tends to protect high draft picks when deciding on suspensions.

Dwight Schrute
02-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Austin Conner gets 3 games for receiving the lumber from Alex Petrovic, and doing what Petrovic had coming. Lots of text and chat going around the league, players, scouts etc. about Petrovic and his stickwork and good on Conner for not backing down from his bull****. Conner should have got 5 for fighting, Petrovic should have got 2 for high stick or an instigator, but being Conner laid out Petrovic on his first punch the refs feel they had to go hard on Conner. And the league tends to protect high draft picks when deciding on suspensions.
well said

patsdude114
02-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Nobody said it was innocent. And it also wasn't a blatant sucker punch. 3 games is what he got.

3 games for sucker punching Petrovic id say that is PRICELESS & good job for Connor

SectionNDeserter
02-06-2011, 12:19 PM
And the league tends to protect high draft picks when deciding on suspensions.I have never seen any situations or statistics that would prove that this is the case. I will say this though, were the shoe on the other foot, Petrovic would have probably gotten one game (and neither has been suspended before).

mjw22
02-06-2011, 12:22 PM
3 games for sucker punching Petrovic id say that is PRICELESS & good job for Connor

Now you'll have all the RD fans on here screaming in outrage . :haha: