PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Rebels alumni netminders...Canes vs. Leafs tonight

McQueen
02-03-2011, 05:21 PM
I normally read these posts rather than initiate, but I have to ask...anyone else excited about seeing Reimer square off against Ward tonight? Any predictions?

I found an article in the Globe & Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/leafs-beat/leafs-not-looking-for-retribution-on-gleason/article1893085/

SectionNDeserter
02-03-2011, 06:02 PM
I normally read these posts rather than initiate, but I have to ask...anyone else excited about seeing Reimer square off against Ward tonight? Any predictions?Seems unlikely that the Leafs would win two in a row, but Reimer has done well in his handful of games in the NHL, and has the Barilkosphere in a frenzy of sorts. I hope Reimer sticks in the NHL for good now.

Rebelsfan13
02-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I think it is a good story and I must admit that I am surprised that Reimer has made it so soon. Good for him though but my money is on Wardo.

3rebels
02-03-2011, 08:48 PM
And a nice shut-out to boot. Nice to hear the TSN commentators point out that Reims succeeded Wardo in the Rebs net and then also make mention of the other Rebs alumni also on the ice, Army, Neufer and Steeger for TO and Baby Sutts for the Canes!! Nice touch TSN and congrats to James Reimer on the shut-out!:groovy:

McQueen
02-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I watched the game on TSN...pretty good game - like a true Rebels alum game. I quite liked the goal by Versteeg, with the assists from Phaneuf and Armstrong. Didn't see much from Brandon Sutter, though. Cam Ward made a truly amazing save right before the Leafs scored their 3rd goal.

It seems Brian Burke is stacking the Leafs with former Rebels...not sure how I feel about that...

Pierre McGuire did have good things to say about Kuemper - the next NHL goalie prospect in-line, and about Wallin as well.

Rebelsfan13
02-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Reimer is playing amazingly well and is making a bid to be a permanent NHL player next year! Great shut out, I love seeing former Rebs in the NHL.

SectionNDeserter
02-04-2011, 08:05 AM
I always thought that Reimer would mature into a decent minor pro goaltender, with an outside shot at becoming a backup in the NHL. He has exceeded my expectations so far.

Rebelsfan13
02-04-2011, 09:11 AM
I didn't expect him to make it. I was never impressed with his play here although I had heard Sutter was pretty hard on him and he didn't respond well to that way of coaching. Maybe under different circumstances he was able to improve.