PDA

View Full Version : What Will It Take 2 Make Playoffs!

TheRiderman63
02-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Courtesy of Pats Blog, Some intresting reading and as he brakes it down what it will take.

Lethbridges’ remaining schedule as of February 6, 2011. 18 games to go. Next 7 of 8 will be played on home ice. 7 of final 10 games will be played away from the Enmax Centre.

Home Games (10)

Regina

Prince George

Red Deer (2)

Edmonton (2)

Kamloops

Moose Jaw

Medicine Hat

Kootenay

Away Games (8)

Red Deer

Edmonton (2)

Chilliwack

Kamloops

Kelowna

Calgary

Kootenay

- Currently: 0.86 pts per game gets you into a playoff spot.

- 62 points projected earns you a tiebreaker (possibly # 8 seed outright).

- Lethbridge has 45 points in 54 games played, and based on projections would need 17 points in their last 18 games to earn a tiebreaker.

Since it’s still a few hours away from Super Bowl kickoff, and the lights are dark throughout the Western Hockey League today, I thought it would be interesting to see what the Hurricanes have left in their 2010-11 regular season and see what they might need to do over the final six weeks of the regular season to earn a playoff position in the Eastern Conference. When I look at their schedule I break it into three types of games… First, the ultra tough tests. The big 5 in the Eastern Conference are very good! Saskatoon, Red Deer, Medicine Hat, Kootenay and Moose Jaw provide the opposition for the Hurricanes seven times during the stretch drive. Five of those tests will be at home, two versus Red Deer and one more each against Kootenay, Moose Jaw and Medicine Hat. Two times they will play those clubs on the road, once in Red Deer and once in Cranbrook. The next grouping I have created is the games against Western Conference opposition. I lump all of those contests together, because the Canes’ games against the Western Conferences elite are behind them. However, all five games will be played against British Columbia based teams who are in a fight for their own playoff lives. Two will be at the Enmax Centre against Kamloops and Prince George. The other three will be played out West in Kamloops, Chilliwack and finally against Kelwona versus the Rockets who are making a push for the Division title. The remaining six are against the rest of the Eastern Conference clubs who are battling for one of the final three playoff spots. Regina, and Edmonton twice will still make visits to Lethbridge. The Hurricanes will play their three remaining games on the road, in Edmonton twice and finally in Calgary. The Hitmen are a long shot at best to get into the playoffs but have proven since Christmas they can still win games. Just ask Rich Preston whose club lost twice to Calgary last month. Based on mathematical projections through the first three quarters of the regular season, the Hurricanes would need 17 points in their final 18 games to get into a tiebreaker situation. A near .500 record doesn’t appear to be too daunting of a task. However, they will need to be better than they have been over the last quarter of the season. The Hurricanes earned just 13 points in their last 18 games. In fact, Lethbridge has only accumulated 18 points in their last 27 hockey games. So where will the points come from? How do you go about getting those 17 or 18 points? The big key for me will be getting points against the clubs surrounding them in the Eastern Conference chase. I believe you need 5 out of 6 points in the three home games against Edmonton (twice) and Regina. You will need to split in Edmonton and win the game in Calgary giving you nine more points to add to the total. From there, a split against the BC teams should be fine. 5 out of 10 points there puts you up to 14. That would mean, you would need 2 wins in seven games against the ‘Big Dogs’ of the Conference. There’s the 18 points that I figure are out there for the Canes’ to get. There are many ways to reach 18, but that jumps out to me as the most manageable. Should be a fun stretch drive!

- Points needed to make Eastern Conference Playoffs last few years – since three points games (including shoot out losses) were introduced.

2009-10 = 78 points (Moose Jaw)

2008-09 = 67 points (Tiebreaker Prince Albert & Edmonton)

2007-08 = 88 points (Moose Jaw)

2006-07 = 69 points (Swift Current)

2005-06 = 62 points (Swift Current)

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-13-2011, 06:40 PM
A small miracle is all that will get the Canes into the playoffs. I am not trying to stir the pot, but the facts are hard to deny. I reviewed the schedule of the bottom 7 teams in the Eastern Conference and the Hurricanes have the toughest road to the playoffs of these 7 cellar dwellers. Doing some quick math, this is how I believe the East will end up.

#6 EDM ... 72
#7 BRA ... 70
#8 PA ...... 65
-----------------
#9 REG ... 59
#10 LTH .. 57
#11 SC ... 56
#12 CAL ..48

As I stated above, the Canes remaining schedule is probably the most difficult, with Edmonton and PA's being the easiest. The Canes could realistically only win 3 of their remaining games, and probably lose a few more in O.T. and/or a S.O.
The relative strength of the teams schedule is why their should be more separation come the end of the season than their currently is in the standings. For example, Edmonton gets Lethbridge and Calgary 6 more times in their last 15 games. The Oil Kings and Raiders seem to have a favorable schedule and that is why I have them both making the Dance come Spring. Brandon gets to boogey also as they are just playing darn good hockey as of late. I tried to account for 3 point games but if 2 or 3 of these teams have a lot of them, the final standings will be closer than my predictions.
Here is a list of Lethbridge's last 9 games.

Wed Mar 02 .. Lethbridge 0 Chilliwack 0
Fri Mar 04 ... Lethbridge 0 Kamloops 0
Sat Mar 05 ... Lethbridge 0 Kelowna 0
Wed Mar 09 ... Moose Jaw 0 Lethbridge 0
Fri Mar 11 ..... Lethbridge 0 Calgary 0
Sat Mar 12 .... Medicine Hat 0 Lethbridge 0
Tue Mar 15 ... Lethbridge 0 Edmonton 0
Fri Mar 18 ... Kootenay 0 Lethbridge 0
Sat Mar 19 ... Lethbridge 0 Kootenay 0

I hope I am wrong about the Canes playoff chances but they really don't look good right now. We could quite likely lose everyone of our last nine games. The only somewhat easy game in the last nine is at Calgary.

Let's cheer for Swift Current and the Seattle Thunderbirds to win a few more games than it looks like they will. This will give the Canes the #2 and #3 slots in the lottery for the bantam draft, which gives us 2 very good chances at the number one overall pick.

Stuck in the Penalty Box
02-14-2011, 02:06 PM
As mentioned by HURRICANES ROCK the schedule does not favour the Hurricanes.

The only thing that is saving the Hurricanes from being in the playoff hunt is the face that Swift Current and PA are just 2 points ahead of them. But since the Hurricanes do not play either club again where are the Canes going to pick up points? The Canes have 15 games left of which 14 are against teams that have more wins, more points, more goals for and fewer goals against. The only team behind the Canes in those categories are the Hitmen who they play once. So I ask where are the Hurricanes going to pick up points? With 7 home games and 8 road games propects for the playoffs do not look good. The Hurricanes also have a tougher schedule. PA plays SC 4 times, Regina 2 and Calgary 2. While SC plays 3 vs Cal and 2 vs Regina.

As of the current standings, the Hurricanes would have the 2nd pick overall and Regina's pick which would be 3rd overall based on their winning percentage.

I hope that Robson and Preston have done their homework with the Bantam Draft this year as they will have two of the top picks in both the first and second rounds.

However, do not be surprised if Preston and Brad Lang (Regina's GM) hook up on a deal that brings Klimchuk (Regina's 1st pick last year) to Lethbridge so he can play with his linemate Merkley. Of course Regina's 1st round pick that the Hurricanes own, would have to go back to Regina.

canes watcher
02-14-2011, 09:25 PM
That Klimchuk deal would be a good one. A year older and there isn't a Klimchuk in this draft. Might take two of those top fours to get him, but you've gotta pay for quality. Do they want Hood?

2speak4all
02-14-2011, 10:02 PM
All the best picks and the best drafts don't mean squat if they don't get proper coaching. Hood was producing when we got him. It seems if players don't have any self direction, they won't generate wins for the Canes. The ones that have producing, IMO, have self motivation. If nothing else, but to at least garner interest from a scout for NHL invite.

canes watcher
02-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Hood was scratched seven of nine games before Lethbridge acquired him from Regina. Good production.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-20-2011, 03:15 PM
this weekend will keep the Canes in the race for a playoff spot, which will make the remaining games more interesting. If they would of come out of this weekend with 0 points they would pretty much be out of the playoff race. Good on the kids for their efforts against Edmonton and Red Deer.
I could not help but notice how few penalties the Canes took in these 2 games. They only allowed 2 PP in both games. Probably not a coincidence that they got 3 out 4 points with so few penalties. The Hurricanes discipline this year has cost them a lot of games.

JMoney1988
02-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Hey, just coming onto tell you, good job on beating red deer, us fans in saskatoon thank you, you guys also helped yourself get closer to a playoff spot, who knows if you happen to make the playoffs, we might play each other and also the red deer peeps on the red deer blog are complaining that it was all injuries or they just lost that could be it, anyway long story short, congrats on picking up an important 2 points and helping us in the process.

Bocephus
02-23-2011, 09:48 AM
If the Canes continue what they did on Monday they can make the playoffs. That was the first time I seen them play for a win in the third. For a few minutes they lost focus and were more interested in yapping and taking penalties but then they clued in and realized the win was far more important than arguing calls and retaliating. Hopefully this trend continues tonight against the Blazers.
One of the best games of the year was the previous home game against Kamloops. Let's have another.

TheRiderman63
02-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Just got home from giving blood here in lethbridge, they have Canes stuff everywhere also put my name for the autographed jersey. And for giving blood there, there giving a hole bunch of FREE Canes Calenders to donaters, I got like 5:)

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-23-2011, 07:12 PM
For a few minutes they lost focus and were more interested in yapping and taking penalties but then they clued in and realized the win was far more important than arguing calls and retaliating. Hopefully this trend continues tonight against the Blazers.

I agree with you Bo. Like I said 2 posts back, penalties, especially the cheap/retaliatory ones, have cost the Canes a lot of games. We have had what, 20 OT games this year. Take away a few penalties every game we've played and we might have as much as 5 or even 10 more points. That's the difference between being 3 points out of a playoff spot and parked in 9th place, versus battling tooth and nail with Edmonton and the Wheat Kings for 6th/7th. Big, big difference.
Let's hope the boys keep the stupid penalties out of the game tonight. If they do, the Canes will beat the Blazers............... GO CANES. :bounce:

TheRiderman63
02-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Holy what a game tonight, just wehen you think they cant come back and actually make a game out of it they do it and tie it up to take it to OT. To bad they couldnt find the net before the Blazers did. I sware if I see Anderson in net again on friday ill be pissed he let some really bad goals in and should see Tait in net.

Bocephus
02-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Amen brother. I can't watch #1give up anymore weak a$$ goals! He gets beat high glove at will. I don't know what to say. It's just become so frustrating.
Defenseman were awful, forwards were great. The game was very entertaining and Oslanski tuned #34!

TheRiderman63
02-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Hey all you Caniacs just for those that havent seen this yet a full video of all the renos of the Enmax....http://www.enmaxcentre.ca/building-enhancement-detail.asp?ID=1812

shushu
02-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Hey all you Caniacs just for those that havent seen this yet a full video of all the renos of the Enmax....http://www.enmaxcentre.ca/building-enhancement-detail.asp?ID=1812

and good on you 4 waving the canes flag and adding well needed support 2 an arena that is a tad quite to say the least.....one of these days i will stop down and say hello....great job canes, keep up the hard work and good play as of late........GO CANES GO....................:thumb:

TheRiderman63
02-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Thats one of the best games ive seen the Canes play wow, hard checking scoring and very hard work for a full 60 minutes. I just wish we could of played like this all season and we wouldnt be fighting for a playoff spot. This past couple weeks has been some out standing hockey by the Canes. Hopefully they can keep it up ntonight and on the BC road trip:)

TheRiderman63
02-26-2011, 10:18 AM
hey Caniacs so I came across this website and and show pictures of all the WHL arenas wow some those on in the states are amazing,heres the site...http://www.ohlarenaguide.com/otherrinks.htm

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-02-2011, 06:44 PM
I guess tonight is the start of the stretch run for the Canes. As mentioned many times here and elsewhere, P.A. has an easier schedule to finish the year then Lethbridge does, and as such, the Raiders have the inside track on the 8th and final playoff spot. The Raiders won one of their "easy games" last night against the Pats so the Raiders are currently 2 points up on Lethbridge. Since the Canes and Raiders to not play each other again this year, we can't do anything about P.A. so we just need to worry about winning as many as we can and see what happens. The Hurricanes next 3 games are on a B.C Division swing and we can't be expected to win em all, but 2 or 3 points is almost mandatory to keep pace with P.A. The Raiders have a couple of difficult opponents this weekend so they will hopefully not gain any more ground on the Canes in the next few days. The Raiders are on the road in Moose Jaw on Friday and then host the Ice Saturday.
Tonight's game against the Bruins is probably our best chance at getting a couple of points in the next 3 games. Our second game on this trip is against a highly depleted, yet suddenly improved lineup in Kamloops. Taking any points off the Blazers is not going to be easy. The last of Lethbridge's 3 games on their BC swing is in Kelowna, and as usual the Rockets are playing good hockey come the end of the year. Getting any points from Kamloops and/or Kelowna in the next 2 games is not very likely. The difficulty in stealing any points in the 2 games the Canes play after tonight makes the game in Chilliwack a crucial game to win. A regulation time loss against the Bruins tonight will make a serious dent in the Canes playoff hopes.
On a side note. Why the Canes are scheduled on a BC division swing instead of playing against our Eastern rivals at this time of year is beyond me, but whatever I guess.

Stuck in the Penalty Box
03-03-2011, 02:24 AM
....for the Hurricanes for sure. But there have been a lot of weird scheduling this season for the Canes and some of their opposition. Like playing three straight games against SC back in November/December; then 3 games against the Hat in a week back in December; and 3 straight games vs Calgary in January; and playing Red Deer and Edmonton 3 times each in during a 7 game span last month.

Trouble is, there is a lot that goes into the WHL schedule, fitting in the US teams, the trips to BC, then the East and last the Central teams. Also having to take into consideration the NHL games in Calgary and Edmonton and other events. Not easy.....but surely they can avoid these "mini series".

Hurricanes will end up with a tough road schedule and possibly a playoff mess like SC had last year when the Ford World Women's Curling Championship hits the Enmax in March of 2012.

The hopes for the playoffs this year.....looks bleak! Matching PA's/Canes schedules looks like this:

PA @ MJ LH @ KAM
KTN @ PA LH @ KEL
REG @ PA MJ @ LH
ED @ PA LH @ CAL
PA @ BRD MH @ LH
PA @ CAL LH @ ED
SC @ PA KTN @ LH
PA @ SC LH @ KTN

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
03-03-2011, 01:08 PM
I have to agree "Stuck" that the Hurricanes playoff hopes are sinking fast. Their schedule is much tougher than PA's.

Hopefully when the Canes are eliminated that Preston brings up some of that young talent to get a taste of the "Dub" and also play those players that have been healthy scratches lately.

I wonder what Preston's coaching plans are for next season. Just looking at
the numbers....not much of an improvement over last year. But he was left a mess last season.
W-L-OTL-SOL---pts----GF--GA
09-10 72 games 20-44-5----3----48pts--186 257 1423pim .430
10-11 64 games 21-30-5----8----55pts--178 275 1334pim .333

:groovy:

PeacefulChaos
03-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Yay, one more win than last year!

So what happens with Prestons "guarantee" of making the playoffs this year?

TheRiderman63
03-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Its funny to see after a couple loses everyone comes on here and posts and never anything positive, where all the posts when there winning hmmm.

2speak4all
03-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Its funny to see after a couple loses everyone comes on here and posts and never anything positive, where all the posts when there winning hmmm.

Some things never change. In everything in life there are winner and losers -- unfortunately for the Hurricane brigade they are losers this season. And that is fine. What would a play off run for this team consist of anyways. Maybe getting 8th spot, matching up to Saskatoon in the first round, going to 4 maybe 5 games before being eliminated. The possibility of someone getting injured and have to nurse back to health before trying to get ready for next year.

Personally, the I think the team has written the story lines for this year. It will be fun to watch some more games, and cheer the last games we have left, but let's just move on with positive thoughts and see what next year brings.

I look forward to see what the new time will look like next year. Younger?? Faster?? More Experienced?? Who Stays?? Who gets traded?? Who moves on?? Who moves up?? Who moves down??

#6, #15, and #27 all move on we know that for sure. Will there be others or not is yet to be seen.

Let's just hope we see the RED SHIRTS back next year and lets bring more excitement and energy back into the rink.

:clap::clap::clap:

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
03-04-2011, 12:41 AM
....is not being negative. It is just to show that things have not improved
much. Like any Hurricane fan, I would love to see the wins and losses reversed. But such is not the case this year.

As for next season, I really hope that Braes, Fyten and Sutter (who has really improved over the last 2-3 months)...gee that was not negative; are back as our 3 OA's. That would mean that Berglund, Mahachek and Tait would not be back. Berglund as a 20 and a Euro would take up two spots, Tait has to make room for Kovacs and Mahachek would likely be taken by a team looking for toughness on the back end, while Preston will likely want to have his spot for one of the young blueliners. With Kuvaev being a healthy scratch most nights, his returning next season will be doubtful, unless his skating improves big time over the summer. He has struggled learning the NA style and dealing with playing at both ends of the rink. I would love to see him come back with more speed and go to the net like he did in his first month or so. Time will tell. If I was a betting man, I would say there is a 50/50 chance that the Hurricanes will not have a Euro next season.

grainbear
03-04-2011, 06:35 AM
It has not always been as it seems. I have heard from one source that at least part of the reason for the Russians lack of playing time is due to academics. Certainly possible when you are in a situation of having to not only keep your marks up, spend a lot of time in the rink and learn a second language. The other observation I can make is that prior to games for those who are not dressed that night they are doing staircases in the Enmax prior to the game I have noticed that the work ethic or conditioning does not seem to be as strong for him as it is for some of the other players when they are not in the lineup, the speed is not there,

PeacefulChaos
03-04-2011, 11:08 AM
I'd be very surprised to see Mahachek and Tait return, even though they are local boys.

I'd love to see Sutter, Fyten and Braes back as our overagers next season. Do one of them get the C too? Or do they go with a captain that will be here for more than one season?

TooLoud
03-04-2011, 11:19 AM

It's tough to post when they are winning....when they are not winning. I believe that the team has not strung more than 3 wins together all season (?) There has also been many things said about the excellent play of the Sutters, the Braes, the Fytons, and the R. Maxwells throughout the season. Unfortunately, the lack of a dependable, tough defensive corps, the horrendous inconsistency in goaltending, the lack of scoring depth, the captaincy, and some of the odd coaching decisions has sealed this team's fate. While I think everyone on this site understands that our boys are not the most talented team in the league, they have shown they can beat better teams by playing hard nosed, intense hockey. Unfortunately, for some odd reason, this group finds it tough to maintain this level of intensity. While I certainly hope this team finds some testicular fortitude that allows them to find a way to win, and win consistently, making the playoffs with the way we are playing guarantees us two more home games, and that will be that. The Rotund Female is only humming right now....but...honestly....I think I will be hearing a melody soon.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-04-2011, 01:25 PM
W-L-OTL-SOL---pts----GF--GA
09-10 72 games 20-44-5----3----48pts--186 257 1423pim .430
10-11 64 games 21-30-5----8----55pts--178 275 1334pim .333

Not that it matters very much, but you have your numbers all scrambled. What stood out for me was the winning percentages. We have a better, not worse, winning percentage this year than last by quite a bit. You also had the goals for and against reversed for the 2 years. The Canes are at least scoring a lot more this year than last.

2009-10 72 games 20-44-5-3 48pts - 178 275 1423pim .333

2010-11 64 games 21-30-5-8 55pts - 186 257 1334pim .430

Given the difficulty of the Canes remaining schedule, they may not get many more points this year. That would result in this years record being only slightly better than last year. I hope the Hurricanes pull out some unexpected wins and I am proven wrong.

TooLoud
03-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Not that it matters much, but you have your numbers all scrambled. What stood out for me was the winning percentages. We have a better, not worse, winning percentage this year than last by quite a bit. You also had the goals for and against reversed for the 2 years. The Canes are at least scoring a lot more this year than last.

2009-10 72 games 20-44-5-3 48pts - 178 275 1423pim .333

2010-11 64 games 21-30-5-8 55pts - 186 257 1334pim .430

Given the difficulty of the Canes remaining schedule, they may not get many more points this year. That would result in this years record being only slightly better than last year. I hope the Canes pull out some unexpected wins and I am proven wrong.

Not that it matters much....but I come up with a winning % of .319 for last year, and .453 for this year up to now (assuming that the # are correct) I am guessing that we are using wins + overtime/shoot out wins as our winning #, divided by the amount of games. Not really an honest comparison as last years % was after 72 games, this years is after 64, the % could still go down. But, yes, it is obvious that the team has scored more goals this year, and if everything goes well, we might be able to keep the GAA below last year. Bottom line? No matter what happens, we are still going to have a losing record, and our defensive performance will probably be worse than last year. Have we improved? Well, yes, but it's like being the smart kid in the remedial reading class. Let's hope for a better outing next year.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Not that it matters much....but I come up with a winning % of .319 for last year, and .453 for this year up to now (assuming that the # are correct) I am guessing that we are using wins + overtime/shoot out wins as our winning #, divided by the amount of games. Not really an honest comparison as last years % was after 72 games, this years is after 64, the % could still go down. .

You have got me confused as to how you come up with those numbers. My numbers are from the WHL website. The problem is we are used to calling this "the winning percentage" but what the percentage shown on the WHL site actually is, is "the point percentage". Since O/T points came into play many years ago it now shows the "points earned percentage".
In other words, 2009-10 the Canes earned 33.3% of the points they were able to get if they won every game. They could have got 144 points if they won all their games, but only got 48 points. 48 divided by 144 = .333
If you want the actual winning percentage it would only be .277. They won 20 out of 72 games which = .277 winning percentage..

TooLoud
03-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Hey, Rock, not looking to "Rock" the boat, just wanting clarification. In my mind, "winning %" would be wins/games played. I also consider OT and SO wins as wins. Soooooooo, 23/72 (Last year) nets .319, 29/64 (This year) gives us .453. I had no idea that the WHL used a "points percentage" scenario to rank the teams. And, although the "single" points have proven themselves to be important, I believe the only way to "rank" teams is by winning percentage. Although, in my oinion, the WHL method is wrong, I suspect that this rating makes the weak teams look better, and makes the strong teams look awesome. But, winning, as they say, is not "A" thing, it is the "ONLY" thing!! Thanks again for the clarification...I knew there was smart people populating this site!!

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Hey, Rock, not looking to "Rock" the boat, just wanting clarification. In my mind, "winning %" would be wins/games played. I also consider OT and SO wins as wins. Soooooooo, 23/72 (Last year) nets .319,

Hey no problem TooLoud. I am not Rocking the boat either. I think I figured out what you are doing wrong.

2009-10 Lethbridge Hurricanes ... 72 games - 20 wins - 44 losses - 5 overtime losses - 3 shootout losses.

I think you are adding wins plus shootout losses together. The Canes only had 20 wins period. That includes all regulation, overtime and shootout wins. The Canes only won 20 out of 72 games. They did not win 23 games.
You are correct when you say "I suspect that this rating makes the weak teams look better, and makes the strong teams look awesome." A good example is Everett this year. Everett Silvertips 63 27 27 5 4 63 0.500 It says they are a .500 team which is misleading. They have only won 27 out of 63 games, so their winning percentage is really only .428, not .500.
Hope that makes some sense.

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
03-04-2011, 04:58 PM
....with the GF and GA. But the current WHL standings show a winning percentage of .430 for this season and .333 for last season. With the Hurricanes playing teams that each have more wins than the Canes do, in 7 of their last 8 games, the final winning percentage could be lower than the current .430. In fact if they beat Calgary and lose all 7 of their other games, their winning percentage would slip to .396 or thereabouts.

It all comes down to one very obvious conclusion, there has been very little improvement over last season's record.

:(

TooLoud
03-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Hey no problem TooLoud. I am not Rocking the boat either. I think I figured out what you are doing wrong.

2009-10 Lethbridge Hurricanes ... 72 games - 20 wins - 44 losses - 5 overtime losses - 3 shootout losses.

I think you are adding wins plus shootout losses together. The Canes only had 20 wins period. That includes all regulation, overtime and shootout wins. The Canes only won 20 out of 72 games. They did not win 23 games.
You are correct when you say "I suspect that this rating makes the weak teams look better, and makes the strong teams look awesome." A good example is Everett this year. Everett Silvertips 63 27 27 5 4 63 0.500 It says they are a 500 team which is misleading. They have only won 27 out of 63 games, so their winning percentage is really only .428, not .500.
Hope that makes some sense.

Holy cow, I just realized that I AM the smart kid in the remedial reading class! Rock, you, of course, are correct, a win is a win. I had a brain fart and was adding in one of the loss columns . Thanks for setting me straight. I apologize for besmirching your good name!!

moon
03-04-2011, 07:27 PM

Not sure what the positive posts would say?

"Great we are in 9th and have only lost 3 of the last 4 game."

"Awesome, we have no young guys playing well and even the vets aren't all that impressive either."

"The team looks like it has a bad coach and an even worse GM."

The team and management haven't given the fans anything to be positive about for this year or going forward.

It all comes down to one very obvious conclusion, there has been very little improvement over last season's record.

:(

Especially when you look at how bad the East is this year meaning much more easy games for the Canes.

canes watcher
03-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Tough to argue with Moon there. Which of the young guys has improved? Oslanski? Johnston? Jackson? Would like to know what the other posters think? Reality is, the team is in a playoff battle thanks to how bad the rest of the conference is.

TheRiderman63
03-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Hey canes fans theres a bus going to calgary this friday for the game heres some info...
-$30 / seat includes a game ticket and transportation to Calgary
-Fully Licensed, Adults (18+ only)
-The bus will be leaving Scores South at 3:45 on Friday March 11 and will be back in town around midnight.
- The bus seats 56 people

Contact Arthur at 403-327-5687 to purchase.

Come cheer on the Canes to a playoff spot. It's really tight right now.

grainbear
03-05-2011, 12:08 AM
you are doing such a good job on the math that maybe some of your can get hired by life insurance companies as acturials to do real death calculations rather then the Canes. I for one will continue to hope and be positive. Good job once again tonight with the win and Pa loss we are once again tied. Yes we have the tougher schedule but this team has shown that they can play with the best teams and win. So lets support them and if we end up out of it thats life. If we have another good effort in Kelowna and some help from Kootenay who should be motivated after the kick in the butt in Saskatoon this will help.

shushu
03-05-2011, 02:25 AM
this team is based 2 years down the road, NOT NOW...you cannot trade away every player 4 draft pick and expect a team to be on top at this point, just ain;t gonna happen....i'm sure the board is miles a way from thinking that preston is on his way out in any capacity,so buckle up canes fans it going to be a few more miles before we see the team we all want at this point............ps... great job tonight boys, keep it going......................

canes77
03-05-2011, 04:44 AM
It has not always been as it seems. I have heard from one source that at least part of the reason for the Russians lack of playing time is due to academics. Certainly possible when you are in a situation of having to not only keep your marks up, spend a lot of time in the rink and learn a second language. The other observation I can make is that prior to games for those who are not dressed that night they are doing staircases in the Enmax prior to the game I have noticed that the work ethic or conditioning does not seem to be as strong for him as it is for some of the other players when they are not in the lineup, the speed is not there,

Grainbear, thanks for sharing the two details. To me, I would say the work ethic part is a very fair reason to get benched!

BUT definately not the academic part. We know that many of the Euros that have been through Lethbridge knew English already coming in... Sbisa and Berglund both seem like they speak English 100% (Berglund even without his Swedish accent). But Russia isn't like Sweden and Switzerland where everyone knows English. Yikes Preston, way to lose out on some NHL cash from the draft.

Imagine yourself moving over there or sending your own 17 yr old kid (from the good old Prairies here) over to Moscow... you think he/she would do well in a Russian high school?? Not a chance! Heck, Im sure most of us would fail at French Immersion right here in Lethbridge if we were tossed in there for the first time in high school!

Bocephus
03-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Ryley Bennefield played for the Winterhawks last night.

2speak4all
03-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Imagine yourself moving over there or sending your own 17 yr old kid (from the good old Prairies here) over to Moscow... you think he/she would do well in a Russian high school?? Not a chance! Heck, Im sure most of us would fail at French Immersion right here in Lethbridge if we were tossed in there for the first time in high school!

He isn't taking classes at school -- he is trying to get some English instruction. Not English in the manner that our kids take English 20 or English 30, but English in learning to speak English. It would be like one of our kids going to Moscow and learning to speak Russian. That is only something that can help him. His teacher at school can speak Russian and can interpret for him. That is how I understand his education portion at least.

chalk_one_up
03-05-2011, 11:22 AM
I hope you guys make the playoffs.

lethyfan
03-05-2011, 12:05 PM
:clap: ryley bennefeild playied in portland last night wow imagine that a gm that knows to get your prospects into games so they can develop ,shows why portland is a far superior team doesnt it folks!!! in lethbridge we just let our prospects sit and rot :confused:

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
03-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Grainbear, thanks for sharing the two details. To me, I would say the work ethic part is a very fair reason to get benched!
BUT definately not the academic part.

I have to agree with you Canes77 that Alex's work ethic and the fact he certainly looks out of shape, are the reasons he is not playing. I would think that if Preston has any intention of bringing him back that he would inform Alex that he comes back in far better shape and ready to play. Thing is, Alex does have an offensive talent, and if his skating and endurance improves, he would be an big asset to the team.

Most improved of the young players......Johnson.....most improved of all the players....Sutter.

2speak4all
03-05-2011, 12:42 PM
:clap: ryley bennefeild playied in portland last night wow imagine that a gm that knows to get your prospects into games so they can develop ,shows why portland is a far superior team doesnt it folks!!! in lethbridge we just let our prospects sit and rot :confused:

Only reason Bennefield was there cause the team he plays on has been eliminated in Regular Season or early Playoffs. The draft players or on the Leth protected player list are still playing in the Playoff season. Major difference. As for Bennefield playing, did he get ice or was he just listed on the game sheet. I am sure in a 9-1 drenching against Seattle (bottom of their division), any coach would dress a potential draft or upcoming player to see what he could do given the outcome of that game. Had Portland been playing Spokane I doubt very much he would have been on the roster and if he was, he would be warming the pine more than streaking up and down the ice.

Leth is still in the hope of trying to make playoffs. They cant take a chance and dress a draft/potential player who has practice or played in our lineups even if one of them were no longer playing.

Hindsight is always better than predictation. If anyone could 100% guarantee that we would NOT make playoffs, then possibly if one of our players was available, they would take position in the line up. For once Canes are healthy and have tough decisions to make on healthy scratches.

Take a look at who they are playing, what the score, the amount of ice time, etc before you rag on mindlessly.

lethyfan
03-05-2011, 12:52 PM
lol shows what you know bud check out the standings smart guy!! they are in a battle for the number one play off spot in the eastern conference ,and had 3 16 yr olds in the lineup and won ...now what do you have to say??:D

dubfan11
03-05-2011, 01:20 PM
lol shows what you know bud check out the standings smart guy!! they are in a battle for the number one play off spot in the eastern conference ,and had 3 16 yr olds in the lineup and won ...now what do you have to say??:D

We are tied for the last playoff spot...why would we be bringing in call ups unless we absolutely had to? That's ridiculous. As for Portland they are 16 points ahead of the closest team in the WESTERN conference and I am pretty sure they can afford to rest a couple guys at this point.

lethyfan
03-05-2011, 01:45 PM
actually they are only three points up on spokane,and would drop to third if spokane catches them, look around the league and pretty much every team has played their prospects . In lethbridges game against kamloops last week kamloops has a 15 yr old playing and they were in the final playoff spot too .How else do you build for the future.If you think this team has a hope of beating saskatoon in a playoff series you are delusional!!:rolleyes:

2speak4all
03-05-2011, 01:53 PM

Exactly and they were playing Seattle, bottom of the barrel, so you can afford to bring up prospects. Kamloops brought up a prospect last week, cause they have injuries and were short in positional play. Canes are not. And which prospect would you bring up?? They are still all in playoff zone and you are NOT allowed until they are finished in their present league. Those that are not (HULIT) is presently with the team. And why would you play Hulit and sit a healthy defenceman when you are still in the PLAYOFF hunt. I am not saying that we will make the playoffs as I don't have a crystal ball or the foresight to see ahead, but I do know that other potential prospects have been called up to play for leth in an area when we were plagued with injuries.

lethyfan
03-05-2011, 02:06 PM
sounds like by looking back on your posts you may have some envolment in the canes orginization ,could be why you are getting so bothered by my posts?:p

dubfan11
03-05-2011, 02:06 PM
actually they are only three points up on spokane,and would drop to third if spokane catches them, look around the league and pretty much every team has played their prospects . In lethbridges game against kamloops last week kamloops has a 15 yr old playing and they were in the final playoff spot too .How else do you build for the future.If you think this team has a hope of beating saskatoon in a playoff series you are delusional!!:rolleyes:

Yes Kamloops did...because they had a slough of injuries including their captain out. The point is not about the first round result but about getting in the playoffs altogether (after all the thread is what it will take to make the playoffs). If you bring up a kid right now that means we have someone that has worked all year that could possibly contribute sitting out needlessly. I am all for the future, but this is not the time

lethyfan
03-05-2011, 02:14 PM
i agree ,but with some of the vetrean clearly they havent played well enough to continue being in the lineup! maybe bringing in prospects that are available , because these prospects are not always playing in there own games one the night the hurricanes are playing ,we shake up the veterans ,and reward the prospects that are having good seasons?:clap:

2speak4all
03-05-2011, 02:21 PM
i agree ,but with some of the vetrean clearly they havent played well enough to continue being in the lineup! maybe bringing in prospects that are available , because these prospects are not always playing in there own games one the night the hurricanes are playing ,we shake up the veterans ,and reward the prospects that are having good seasons?:clap:

I am not completely sure on this, however, I do believe once the trade deadline has gone by, you cannot bring up a draft/prospect player to play in your lineup unless you have injuries and need the body. Until and this I do know for sure, UNTIL they are done in their own league. Many of our prospects/draft players are still in their regular league doing playoffs. I cannot think of any of the potential upcoming players for next year that are sitting out already.

Bocephus
03-05-2011, 02:26 PM
I just mentioned Bennefield because it interested me and thought it may interest others too.
I didn't realize it would initiate such a racious(sp?) debate. :)
It would be something to see RB in the Mem Cup when he was cast aside by own team.

Stuck in the Penalty Box
03-05-2011, 03:34 PM
I just mentioned Bennefield because it interested me and thought it may interest others too.
I didn't realize it would initiate such a racious(sp?) debate. :)
It would be something to see RB in the Mem Cup when he was cast aside by own team.

Was Bennefield cast aside by his own team? Was Reners cast aside by his own team? Was Yadlowski cast aside by his own team? Unless we are privy to the actual details of why these players were dealt, how can we know for sure that it was just a case of being "cast aside"? I am not suggesting for one second that the details are out there for public consumption because usually if there are "difficulties" they are not made public by their respective teams. No GM in this league is going to say, "we traded Joe to another team because (negative comment). If there was a problem then it stays between the GM and the player and his parents. Is it really a case of mismanagement or a case of not wanting to manage a problem? We as fans do not know. We all know that teams have moved problems to other teams in order to give that player a "fresh start". But have the real problems actually come to light? Sure rumor, gossip and speculation lead to all sorts of ideas. But no GM worth his paycheque is going to bad mouth a player. Defending Preston? No, just wondering about the comment, "cast aside". No argument intended.

More Hockey Math 101......I checked the NHL website and found that the WHL uses the same winning percentage formula that the NHL does. Take the Flyers for example. They have 89pts in 65 games (130 pt max) and that works out to a .685 winning percentage. In actual terms they have won 40 out of 65 games for a winning percentage of .615. Maybe they should change the .685 to points earned percentage.

Here's hoping the Canes can pull off another 2 poiints and Kootenay does us a favor in PA. The Ice are in a bit of a slump right now....not good heading into the playoffs.

2speak4all
03-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Here's hoping the Canes can pull off another 2 poiints and Kootenay does us a favor in PA. The Ice are in a bit of a slump right now....not good heading into the playoffs.

After the whopping Kootenay took last night, I bet they come out big time. But said and done, after Kelowna got taken to task by Chilliwack, I expect Kelowna to come out gunning also.

Was Bennefield cast aside by his own team? Was Reners cast aside by his own team? Was Yadlowski cast aside by his own team? Unless we are privy to the actual details of why these players were dealt, how can we know for sure that it was just a case of being "cast aside"? I am not suggesting for one second that the details are out there for public consumption because usually if there are "difficulties" they are not made public by their respective teams. No GM in this league is going to say, "we traded Joe to another team because (negative comment). If there was a problem then it stays between the GM and the player and his parents. Is it really a case of mismanagement or a case of not wanting to manage a problem? We as fans do not know. We all know that teams have moved problems to other teams in order to give that player a "fresh start". But have the real problems actually come to light? Sure rumor, gossip and speculation lead to all sorts of ideas. But no GM worth his paycheque is going to bad mouth a player. Defending Preston? No, just wondering about the comment, "cast aside". No argument intended.

And I have to agree with your thought completely. We have no idea why anyone player is traded. It could be a trade that a player asks for or a mutual agreement and in many cases, to send a problem elsewhere. Not necessarily the problem, however, as in all things in life, there coudl be a personality issue between player/coach, player/ GM, player/other players, and sometimes it is easier to make some makes to alleviate the problem and try to move on. So I would never say CAST OFF unless it is a direct quote from one of them, and I highly doubt anyone is going to bad mouth anyone and maintain a high standard of respect.

2speak4all
03-05-2011, 04:08 PM
sounds like by looking back on your posts you may have some envolment in the canes orginization ,could be why you are getting so bothered by my posts?:p

I wish. If I did, maybe we would be winning. ;) ;) I have no talent to coach, but I try to get a better understanding of how some things work. And I am still learning. I try to learn from others and from other sites as to what is allowed and how things work in the Dub as far as bringing up our other drafts/prospects.

I can almost bet for sure that most of the 'Canes Organization' have better things to do than sit and enter into idle conversation with me or you.

Bocephus
03-05-2011, 05:04 PM
By CAST AWAY I meant Traded Away. Nothing negative was intended at all.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Yo..........lethyfan. I appreciate everyone that has the Canes team spirit to come on this site and post. What I am not crazy about is in your grand total of 5 or 6 posts you have managed to alienate some of us. Those of us that have been posting here for a long time like to keep it civil and not quarrel with fellow Hurricane fans. Save your vitriol for fans of the other 21 teams...hehehe.

"" sounds like by looking back on your posts you may have some envolment in the canes orginization ,could be why you are getting so bothered by my posts "".............I think maybe 2speak4all just also does not appreciate your keyboard courage/tuffguy act.

""wow imagine that a gm that knows to get your prospects into games so they can develop ,shows why portland is a far superior team doesnt it folks!!! "".........Portland was the absolute worst team in the league for a long time. That is the only reason they are so good now.

""lol shows what you know bud check out the standings smart guy!! they are in a battle for the number one play off spot in the eastern conference ,...now what do you have to say??""............Well smart guy. The thread was about Portland. Last time I checked the Winterhawks were not in the Eastern Conference. If your gonna call someone out, at least get your facts right.

"" If you think this team has a hope of beating saskatoon in a playoff series you are delusional!! ""........I don't recall anyone saying we are going to beat Saskatoon so I have no idea what the genesis of this post is.

Anyway. Welcome to this chat site and I hope you can bring some constructive and informative discussion in the future. . . . . GOOOOOOOO CANES!!!!! :groovy:

lethyfan
03-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Last time I checked it was a world off free speach ! I didn't come here to make friends bud so I don't need your two cents and not everyone has to agree on everyones opinion ! Oh and by the way who cares if I have only 5 or six posts are you better than me cause your a life time blogger?

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-05-2011, 08:51 PM
the horrendous inconsistency in goaltending......,The Rotund Female is only humming right now.

I agree with most of what you said and found your "rotund female" comment very funny. I will disagree somewhat with your goaltending comment, although I do think you were only being partially serious...hehe:

""the horrendous inconsistency in goaltending""

I would not go so far as to call our goaltending horrendous, but I do feel that Anderson has underachieved as much as almost any other player on the Canes. Someone commented on here on the most improved youngster and veteran and I totally agree with them. Johnson is becoming a stud and Sutter is way way better then he was last year. Anderson however has been a bit of a dissapointment. Maybe because we all know he signed a Pro contract with the Capitals and were expecting miracles from him. He is not to blame for the Canes below average season as he has not cost us many games. Having said that he really has played below average and rarely, if ever, has Anderson stolen a game for us. A real top notch goalie steals a few games for your team and frankly, plays better than Anderson has this year.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Last time I checked it was a world off free speach ! I didn't come here to make friends bud so I don't need your two cents and not everyone has to agree on everyones opinion ! Oh and by the way who cares if I have only 5 or six posts are you better than me cause your a life time blogger?

Hey no problem lethyfan. Post away. Like I said, welcome to this site. We certainly don't have to agree with the other posters as that would be awfully boring. However, there is a world of difference in disagreeing/discussing things and berating the other posters. Whether this is your 1st or 500th post does not matter. Your opinion counts as much as anyone else's does. I am just saying let's try to be civil when talking to other Canes fans and disagree all you want, but please try not belittle their opinions. :)

Rocketsfan
03-06-2011, 12:11 AM
First of all, the Hurricanes played a very strong entertaining game and really gave us a run, but I've gotta say that Reddington punching 2 players on our bench, your goalie Anderson trying to attack a fan at the end and making sarcastic cheers, your backup Tait throwing pucks at Kelowna when celebrating the win your coach's tirade and one of your players poking the cameraman with his stick repeatedly was a pretty sad sight to see.

Obviously, you Lethbridge fans can't do anything about it, but just wondering some of the Lethbridge fans' take on the game if you saw it online, especially that last 3-4 minutes?

Please note I'm not trashing you fans and most of the players, just some players and the coach went overboard and I'm guessing will be punished accordingly by the league

TheRiderman63
03-06-2011, 12:16 AM
And to have Sutters goal called back to so called speer is a joke everyone has seen it and there is no speer. There is always two sides a story bud and the rockets and there fans are definatly not angels.

shushu
03-06-2011, 12:19 AM
First of all, the Hurricanes played a very strong entertaining game and really gave us a run, but I've gotta say that Reddington punching 2 players on our bench, your goalie Anderson trying to attack a fan at the end and making sarcastic cheers, your coach's tirade and one of your players poking the cameraman with his stick repeatedly was a pretty sad sight to see.

Obviously, you Lethbridge fans can't do anything about it, but just wondering some of the Lethbridge fans' take on the game if you saw it online, especially that last 3-4 minutes?

and the mayhem follow close behind.....was it a spear, i would love an honest opinion....as 4 the rest you can chalk it up to a team that is under a ton of pressure to make the post season..........

Rocketsfan
03-06-2011, 12:20 AM
And to have Sutters goal called back to so called speer is a joke everyone has seen it and there is no speer. There is always two sides a story bud and the rockets and there fans are definatly not angels.

I didn't say the goal should've been called back (I saw no spear either) and the only reason we weren't angels was some Lethbridge players were just out of control and literally had to be totally restrained. I'm also not trying to piss all Lethbridge fans off like I said earlier, just want a take on the game. A couple players on our team sometimes play with no class and I'm not denying it. It was just mayhem so thought I'd share it

TheRiderman63
03-06-2011, 12:43 AM
I guess whoever the 2nd star for us was didnt even come back out on the ice like they usually do. But do you blame him or any of his team mates.

2speak4all
03-06-2011, 12:44 AM
I didn't say the goal shouldn't have been called back (I saw no spear either) and the only reason we weren't angels was some Lethbridge players were just out of control and literally had to be totally restrained. I'm also not trying to piss all Lethbridge fans off like I said earlier, just want a take on the game. A couple players on our team sometimes play with no class and I'm not denying it. It was just mayhem so thought I'd share it
Actually it was the Kelowna fans that were taunting Anderson the goalie when he made a save after all the bruha was over. The discussion after the game by the your own Kelowna coach was that he didnt see a spear, and was stunned as to why their was discussion about the goal. He thought they were reviewing the goal for some unknown reason. Said that he could certinaly understand Preston's reaction because it was "wierd".

There could have been a good finish to the final 3 mins of the game and let the cards fall as they may, but for a 'linesman' to decide a game like that is bad, just plain bad. And that set the stage for the rest of the shenanigins.

You are now in a 4 mins PK, you have taunting the visiting team, you have camera men trying to get in close and personal -- why they dont get close and personal throughout the rest of the game - and all the cameraman showed on the internet is the fans dancing in the stands anyways. So yes, maybe some of the players went overboard, but lets put KELOWNA players in that role and Im sure some of them would be pushed too.

Rocketsfan
03-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Actually it was the Kelowna fans that were taunting Anderson the goalie when he made a save after all the bruha was over. The discussion after the game by the your own Kelowna coach was that he didnt see a spear, and was stunned as to why their was discussion about the goal. He thought they were reviewing the goal for some unknown reason. Said that he could certinaly understand Preston's reaction because it was "wierd".

There could have been a good finish to the final 3 mins of the game and let the cards fall as they may, but for a 'linesman' to decide a game like that is bad, just plain bad. And that set the stage for the rest of the shenanigins.

You are now in a 4 mins PK, you have taunting the visiting team, you have camera men trying to get in close and personal -- why they dont get close and personal throughout the rest of the game - and all the cameraman showed on the internet is the fans dancing in the stands anyways. So yes, maybe some of the players went overboard, but lets put KELOWNA players in that role and Im sure some of them would be pushed too.

Again, I agree with both you and TheRiderman63 throughout both your posts. I do agree that certain Kelowna players would've reacted similarly. It's also harder on a team like Lethbridge fighting for a playoff spot. Again, I'm not dissing your team and your fans. It made the game somewhat entertaining. I'm happy our fans taunt, boo, and cheer. Without them, the game would be pretty boring except for the on-ice product. We just like to give the place energy.

Just happy no one got hurt in all of it. Just brought it up as discussion, not to bring down Lethbridge. By me saying it was classless, I would've agreed it was classless even if Kelowna did it because it was. I just don't think the league is going to ignore the situation though.

I'm sorry if you guys took my first post the wrong way. I'm not a total homer and am passionate about the game and like to get discussions started about things like what happened tonight. That's all.

moon
03-06-2011, 01:24 AM
First of all, the Hurricanes played a very strong entertaining game and really gave us a run, but I've gotta say that Reddington punching 2 players on our bench, your goalie Anderson trying to attack a fan at the end and making sarcastic cheers, your backup Tait throwing pucks at Kelowna when celebrating the win your coach's tirade and one of your players poking the cameraman with his stick repeatedly was a pretty sad sight to see.

Please note I'm not trashing you fans and most of the players, just some players and the coach went overboard and I'm guessing will be punished accordingly by the league

Not surprised to see Reddington act that way that has been his MO since he got here and especially this year he seems more intent on taking stupid penalties or showing how tough his with cheap shots.

As for the rest of the antics, Preston is a crap coach who has little control over his team. Couple that with the fact that this is a bad team that hasn't played well all season and it isn't a surprise that they lost control out there.

Didn't see it online but the reaction from the players doesn't surprise me at all based on what we have seen from this team all year long.

TheRiderman63
03-06-2011, 01:34 AM
Not surprised to see Reddington act that way that has been his MO since he got here and especially this year he seems more intent on taking stupid penalties or showing how tough his with cheap shots.

As for the rest of the antics, Preston is a crap coach who has little control over his team. Couple that with the fact that this is a bad team that hasn't played well all season and it isn't a surprise that they lost control out there.

Didn't see it online but the reaction from the players doesn't surprise me at all based on what we have seen from this team all year long.

People like you are the reason the attendence and support is down Lethbridge, you never have anything good to say and why dont you try supporting this team and stand behind them for once. There in the playoff race and tonight was a great game besides the lats 5 mintes where it all started with Brodys goal called back and sure we havent been the greatest team this year. But the Canes need us to support them through the thick and thin and not all like you and be so negaitive and hatred toward to the players and coaches. like ive said theres two sides to this story its not all the Canes there fans and players helped push us to our boiling point. So stop putting all the blame on the canes and support the canes or keep your mouth shut and stay home, The Canes dont need your attitude there anyway!

2speak4all
03-06-2011, 01:49 AM

I have to say you didnt watch the game. If you didnt watch the game or listen to it, then how can you call your self a fan. Preston stood tall for his team and I would be the first to line up to pay his fine.

Moon, you are one big mouthpiece on here, but I am willing to bet my farm that you are the first to line up for an autograph or any free little giveaway you can get to suck up to any of the players you can, just so you can say you did. T

lethyfan
03-06-2011, 01:58 AM
careful 2speak for all ! hurricanes rocks will not like your behavior on here remember we only speak nicely on this forum ,you wouldnt wanna upset HURRICANES ROCK mr . no life lifetime blogger lol:D

moon
03-06-2011, 02:55 AM
People like you are the reason the attendence and support is down Lethbridge, you never have anything good to say and why dont you try supporting this team and stand behind them for once. There in the playoff race and tonight was a great game besides the lats 5 mintes where it all started with Brodys goal called back and sure we havent been the greatest team this year. But the Canes need us to support them through the thick and thin and not all like you and be so negaitive and hatred toward to the players and coaches. like ive said theres two sides to this story its not all the Canes there fans and players helped push us to our boiling point. So stop putting all the blame on the canes and support the canes or keep your mouth shut and stay home, The Canes dont need your attitude there anyway!

People like me? You mean people who for years bought season tickets even if they knew that they wouldn't be able to make half the games? People that continually buy jerseys, 50/50, concessions etc.? Those are the kind of people that are the reason that attendence is down?

I have had plenty of positive things to say about the team over the years but I don't blindly support a team and when I see things that are going wrong I will say it.

I have to say you didnt watch the game. If you didnt watch the game or listen to it, then how can you call your self a fan. Preston stood tall for his team and I would be the first to line up to pay his fine.

Moon, you are one big mouthpiece on here, but I am willing to bet my farm that you are the first to line up for an autograph or any free little giveaway you can get to suck up to any of the players you can, just so you can say you did. T

I didn't watch the game (not sure how that means I am not a fan though).

I leave the autographs to the kids and can't think of a free thing that they have so if you have any examples let me know and I will let you know if I went.

canes77
03-06-2011, 03:17 AM
careful 2speak for all ! hurricanes rocks will not like your behavior on here remember we only speak nicely on this forum ,you wouldnt wanna upset HURRICANES ROCK mr . no life lifetime blogger lol:D

lol indeed...
A: calling a respected/known poster "no life"...
B: this, from someone who posted on this thread 8 times in 14 hours today...

Bocephus
03-06-2011, 10:17 AM
I'd say someone is a true fan if they are on the fan forum in the middle of the night.
I'm not sure I've ever done that.

Bocephus
03-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Anyone on here been following the Canes long enough to share the story that resulted in Bryan Maxwell being suspended for a year? Also, was that against a Preston coached Pats team? I never did here the story as I arrived here in the fall of 96.
As well, I think this Preston incident puts a terrible light on this Mem Cup bidding franchise. Makes us look bush league whether the call was wrong or not.

Richie69
03-06-2011, 11:55 AM
This came off Pat Siedlecki's "Hurricane Watch" blog. I don't know Peter, but I like him.

I loved the fact that Preston went nuts. I have a new found hope and Pride for being a hurricanes fan. I have to agree, every time Klein Refs there seems to be problems, I suggest to all upset fans to email the whl, at least then they might notice the dumbest ref in all the league is in fact Klein.

info@whl.ca

Let's get Klein Noticed if that's what he wants.
Peter.

March 6, 2011 10:03 AM :clap::clap::clap:

Hood is certainly not above a cheap shot, but unless there is a body on the ice, or a bloody face, there is NO infraction here worse than any other missed infraction WORTHY OF A LINESMAN'S ATTENTION. Watch the blueline and drop the puck! Every player, coach, broadcaster, and fan knows that LOTS of infractions are MISSED EVERY GAME. DON'T start letting official-wannabee linesman determine the outcomes, WHL!! The only difference between what Preston did and what I would have done is that I would have had my tantrum at the time of the 4-min Hood penalty and the accompanying disallowed goal.

It is ultimately up to KLEIN and Bonnett to make the final decision on whether to make the penalty call/allow the goal.... AND they SERVED THEMSELVES AGAIN! 1st, and 2nd STARS!

Grab a mirror and polish your bald head on your own time, KLEIN. See a counsellor. Make an appointment with a psychiatrist. Go to aerobics, or take up YOGA. Call your mother. Buy a Honda Accord, paint it purple, tint the windows BLACK, lower it to the ground, and put lots of spoilers on it. Make up for your personal inadequacies on your OWN time; whatever they may be. NOBODY COMES TO THE GAMES TO SEE YOU! :burningmad:

Bocephus
03-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Love your last paragraph rant. Klein is all that you say. I've long had that opinion of him.
Klein and Montsian should never ref a Canes game again.

moon
03-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Hood is certainly not above a cheap shot, but unless there is a body on the ice, or a bloody face, there is NO infraction here worse than any other missed infraction WORTHY OF A LINESMAN'S ATTENTION. Watch the blueline and drop the puck! Every player, coach, broadcaster, and fan knows that LOTS of infractions are MISSED EVERY GAME. DON'T start letting official-wannabee linesman determine the outcomes, WHL!!

There are certain things that linesmen are supposed to watch for and call if they happen. Especially behind the play like in this case.

The guy isn't a wannabe ref he is doing his job.

Good to see the refs have the balls to make the right call in that situation. It would have been easier to shrug their shoulders and take the easy way out. Instead they made the correct call and took the heat from bitter Canes fans, player and a useless coach trying to hide the fact he has no clue what he is doing out there.

It sucks it went against the Canes this time but I will take that if it means the right call is made in the future that helps the Canes.

Rocketsfan
03-06-2011, 12:46 PM
There are certain things that linesmen are supposed to watch for and call if they happen. Especially behind the play like in this case.

The guy isn't a wannabe ref he is doing his job.

Again I didn't see a spear and many fans at the game didn't see one (everyone was wondering what they were reviewing,) but if there was one (must've been) and the linesman did see it, good on him for doing something about it instead of ignoring it. Totally agree with you on it.

I just wish the linesman would be allowed to blow play dead if he sees a double-minor or major instead of having to wait for the next whistle.

Richie69
03-06-2011, 01:00 PM
How many penalty calls have been initiated by linesmen this entire year in the WHL? How about the NHL?? Do you SERIOUSLY think that adding two MORE referees is going to add fairness to the games? You KNOW that the linesman that DIDN'T see the infraction called by his counterpart in this game is IMMEDIATELY thinking, "Geez, I shound be calling some penalties, too... My mirror is making me look like an amateur. All I am doing is watching the blue lines!"

I have attended almost all Hurricanes home games in the last ten years, a number out of town WHL games, a dozen live NHL games, countless on TV, and I have NEVER seen a linesman INITIATE a penalty in the absence of blood or prostrated body... EVER. Does this mean that HOOD was the ONLY player in either league to spear another player and go unnoticed by officials in TEN YEARS? WOW! If it was TRULY a malicious and unusual spear befitting a 4-minute penalty, where was the downed body? Where was the stretcher? Broken ribs? Broken stick protruding from another player's abdomen? PLAYERS "SPEAR" opponents ALL THE TIME, before, during, and after the play; many in plain sight of both linesmen and referees.

Lets just leave the monitoring of off-sides and icing to the Linesmen, and leave the assessment of penalties to the stripes with the orange arm-bands. If the linesmen aren't permitted to blow the play down instantly when a gross infraction has occurred, they are not improving the game by calling phantom penalties that the referees are perfectly qualified to screw-up.

moon
03-06-2011, 01:35 PM
How many penalty calls have been initiated by linesmen this entire year in the WHL? How about the NHL?? Do you SERIOUSLY think that adding two MORE referees is going to add fairness to the games? You KNOW that the linesman that DIDN'T see the infraction called by his counterpart in this game is IMMEDIATELY thinking, "Geez, I shound be calling some penalties, too... My mirror is making me look like an amateur. All I am doing is watching the blue lines!"

I can remember one called in the NHL earlier this year, not sure about the stats overall though. With 2 refs and the limited number of calls available for linesmen to call it doesn't happen all that often.

The other lineman didn't think he should call a penalty at all because he didn't see any. The only way he would look like an amateur is if he started making calls for the hell of it. The fact that others don't just call penalties all the time shows that it works.

I have attended almost all Hurricanes home games in the last ten years, a number out of town WHL games, a dozen live NHL games, countless on TV, and I have NEVER seen a linesman INITIATE a penalty in the absence of blood or prostrated body... EVER. Does this mean that HOOD was the ONLY player in either league to spear another player and go unnoticed by officials in TEN YEARS?

Nope. It means that with 2 refs 95% of infractions are caught by them which is why the 2 ref system was introduced. What happens other times is that calls are missed by both linesmen and refs, that's part of having humans call the game live.

WOW! If it was TRULY a malicious and unusual spear befitting a 4-minute penalty, where was the downed body? Where was the stretcher? Broken ribs? PLAYERS "SPEAR" opponents ALL THE TIME, before, during, and after the play.

Who says anyone has to be hurt for it to be a 4 minute spear? I read the rule and missed the part that says ribs must be broken for it to be 4 minutes. Can you post that part of the rules for us to see.

Players do not spear each other all the time but even if they did that doesn't mean you shouldn't call a penalty when it happens and is against the rules.

Lets just leave the monitoring of off-sides and icing to the Linesmen, and leave the assessment of penalties to the stripes with the orange arm-bands. If the linesmen aren't permitted to blow the play down instantly when a gross infraction has occurred, they are not improving the game by calling phantom penalties that the referees are perfectly qualified to screw-up.

That's a fine opinion but that is not in rules right now so rather than whining about it on a message board you would have to get the league to change the rules.

The linesmen did everything 100% correctly in this case. You have an issue with the rules not what actually happened on the ice. But it is a lot less dramatic to whine about the rules rather than whine about a linesmen.

Richie69
03-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Moon, you have made excellent retorts, and whether or not they are your opinion or just devil's advocate, I get your points defending both the rules and the linesman.

Of course I don't want any player hurt or injured, and I agree that calls need to be made BEFORE players maliciously injure each other, I just disagree that THIS was one of those infractions.

My main point (whining) remains that nobody in the stands or in the press box seemed to notice the infraction called. It doesn't seem to have been captured by video either. This doesn't mean that Hood's actions were insignificant, but in a league that regularly showcases the most inconsistent officiating in the game, and in such a close game with so much on the line, was THIS infraction worse than all others seen and ignored by this linesman? Is the linesman certain that he didn't miss the infraction that Hood's target committed to receive the measured retaliation? I have personally watched a LOT of linesmen WATCH a LOT of infractions occurring before, during, and after the play over the years. It is not their role to decide the game, and that is EXACTLY what they did in this game.

TheRiderman63
03-06-2011, 03:10 PM
As one would expect its hit youtube already heres the video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLFaZltFRrM&feature=player_embedded

grainbear
03-06-2011, 03:11 PM
You, are certainly allowed to voice your opinion. I only ask that you keep your comments fair. . Please when you or I were not in attendance can we even venture an opinion on whether the call was right or wrong. When the video replay and the coach for Kelowna stating he would be upset in the same situation when some one in black and white has exceeded his mandate. Was the behavior by the coach right probably not but this league honestly needs to address the quality of officials . When we are using a two man referees system no linesmen should be able to call a penalty without injury . I am sure Preston will not only see fines but maybe a suspension as well but when we are paying officials penance the league gets what is deserves. I for one would gladly pay a dollar a game to go half to ongoing training and secondly a wage increase for the on ice men in black and white This, is the real problem

TheRiderman63
03-06-2011, 03:47 PM
heys guys heres the blog site from the rockets broadcaster good points and things that would say a little bit more about last night the so called spear happened almost 1.30 before the goal take a read...http://reganbartel.blogspot.com/

moon
03-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Moon, you have made excellent retorts, and whether or not they are your opinion or just devil's advocate, I get your points defending both the rules and the linesman.

Of course I don't want any player hurt or injured, and I agree that calls need to be made BEFORE players maliciously injure each other, I just disagree that THIS was one of those infractions.

My main point (whining) remains that nobody in the stands or in the press box seemed to notice the infraction called. It doesn't seem to have been captured by video either. This doesn't mean that Hood's actions were insignificant, but in a league that regularly showcases the most inconsistent officiating in the game, and in such a close game with so much on the line, was THIS infraction worse than all others seen and ignored by this linesman? Is the linesman certain that he didn't miss the infraction that Hood's target committed to receive the measured retaliation? I have personally watched a LOT of linesmen WATCH a LOT of infractions occurring before, during, and after the play over the years. It is not their role to decide the game, and that is EXACTLY what they did in this game.

It is certainly my opinion, and I do understand the anger from many fans although the Canes would have lost the game anyways so at least it didn't cost them a win.

I think the linesmen made the call as he has been taught to do and as it states in the rules. I for one can't be that angry over it.

And more importantly (for me as a fan) the reaction by the Canes and Preston was disgusting whether the spear happened or not.

Edit: and people in the stands have said they saw the spear so not sure where the nobody saw it comment comes from.

CanesCrazy
03-06-2011, 04:12 PM
I just about choke on my Cheetos every time you call yourself a fan, Moon. Being a fan does not mean you have to always be 100% on board or like everyone and everything that is team related, but you complain about everything! You resort to immmature name calling of the coach and the captain. When they do well and you have nothing to whine about your posts are no where to be found. Not once after a good game this season have you had a positivething to say. They lose and you are jumping all over the coach and players again and every thread must contain the manadatory "if we won a game it's only because the other teams are so bad". Never a pat on the back. And now you say that what happened last night doesn't really matter because they would not have won anyway? Are you kidding me? How in heaven's name do you know that? How do you know that the momentum shift was not going to go in our favor if the goal wasn't called off? If you want to side with the angelic linesman because he was just doing his job so very, very well, then fine. But just once could you quit complaining about the team for five minutes? I find it astounding that the only time you dole out a pat on the back is to an official who MAY HAVE cost the Canes a game.

But wait, that's it, isn't it? Anyone who beats the Hurricanes whether another team, player or official, gets your praise because then you can continue berating the Canes. If the Canes win, you will have nothing to ***** about and you're only happy when you're *****ing.

You, dear Sir, are no fan. Quit calling yourself one.

2speak4all
03-06-2011, 04:16 PM
It is certainly my opinion, and I do understand the anger from many fans although the Canes would have lost the game anyways so at least it didn't cost them a win.

I disagree, had that goal been allowed and the so called spearing not been called it would have been a 1 goal game and the outcome could have been drastically different. On the replay of the game, the announcers said that Hood slashed the Kelowna player in front of Klein and they were shocked that Klein would let it go. So Klein had to have seen some kind of infraction -spear, slash call it what you want - and decided to let it go as possibly how close the game was. It was now a linesman -- who decided to show off his authority. After all was done and the game was resumed, Anderson blockered one of the Kelowna players as he skated past the net, the refs had to pull Anderson off of the Kelowna player and NO CALL!! Now lets figure out the parity in this situation. A Ref chooses not to call, but a linesman does and take back a goal, but let the next much more instrusive penalty go uncalled. That is more than stupid.

Edit: and people in the stands have said they saw the spear so not sure where the nobody saw it comment comes from.

And actually the fans in the stand said they saw a spear, as may fans sometimes they think more than was actually there. The coach from the Kelowna team was interviewed after the game, and he said he saw no infraction of any kind that he felt could result in the goal not be allowed. When he was interviewed after the game, he stated that he didnt see any spear and was surprised by the call.

TheRiderman63
03-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Amen CanesCrazy you said what were all thinking. And im tired off people like him here in LA.

grainbear
03-06-2011, 04:41 PM
If the event is serious enough for the linesmen to call the penalty, they should not wait until the play is blow down. The call need to be made now in real time as soon as the offending team touches the puck . This is where the error is in the current rule book situation. Not 1 1/2 minutes later when then play is whistled dead. I honestly would think any coach at this level would grip. If we pay the officials properly then the should also be able to take the praise or **** in the media and we should not have the fines that Curtis Hunt and I am sure Preston will get. This should be like water of a ducks back, This is not a lack of respect but a lack of constructive criticism and some times we must be vocal to be heard and yes sometime actions speak louder then the words.

Rocketsfan
03-06-2011, 05:41 PM
well this whole incident is over and done with now and the rest will be left with the league.

Lethbridge had every right to be angry with the whole situation (any other team in the same situation would be.) Not many people in the rink last night knew what the heck was going on with the disputed goal.

Saying this as a Rockets fan, good on Preston for showing his emotion and how he feels. It'd be worrysome if he didn't do anything or try to plead his case. The only things I was kinda upset about last night was how Kelowna players were made targets such as Reddington punching a couple guys on Kelowna's bench, Anderson attacking a couple of our players and then trying to get at a fan, and Tait throwing pucks at Kelowna players when the game was over.

I get that it was all out of emotion, but those were the only things I found to be overboard. Just stating my opinion as a fan.

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
03-06-2011, 05:45 PM
What else is new in this league? This is a real shocker that a coach in the WHL would get upset over a "mystery" call. Like Preston is the very first coach to be sick and tired of the calls made or non-calls. Like Preston is the very first coach to question the actions of a certain ref who seems to put on a show at the expense of his team. Of course the other teams' players are good little boys who never have been upset with a call or lack of a call. The other team's players never try to bait an opposition player and certainly no fans in this league have tried to get on a player or coach. Give me a break!
What is all the fuss about? Preston got upset over a "mystery call" that cost his team a goal that got his team back into the game, in a game that certainly has playoff implications. I watched the video of the action from the Hurricane's bench, and certainly Preston did show his displeasure by throwing plastic water bottles, a cooler and a clip board on the ice. But he did keep his cool when discussing the call with the Show Stealer-Klein! So, who can blame him? It could have been a lot worse, like when Bryan Maxwell went after a ref, or when Paddy Ginnell tossed chairs onto the ice, or when Ernie Punch Mclean unloaded his team's sticks onto the ice, or heaven forbid when Graham James stripped his shirt off and tossed it on the ice. Good on Rich for showing some emotion and showing his players that he is going to bat for them.

Oh there will be fines, but if the league and Klein (fat chance) get the message, then they will be worth it.

Now take that same intensity into the game Wednesday with MJ. I wonder if Klein has any more refereeing assignments in Lethbridge before the season ends?

Stuck in the Penalty Box
03-06-2011, 05:53 PM
The only conclusions the I came to over this whole incident were: Good on Preston! And what the hell is the cameraman doing on the Hurricane bench
with all this going on? He is lucky that he was able to leave the bench area with himself and the camera in one piece. He had no business being their, and he certainly was putting himself at risk. Had it been some of the other coaches or players in the league he would likely be wearing the camera.

Like Zamboni-Phoney, I wonder if King Klein has another officiating date in Lethbridge before the season ends. He will likely get a very warm reception!

:burningmad::burningmad::burningmad:

west coast
03-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Preston embarrased himself and the league by his 5 minute display of throwing everything but the kitchen sink on the ice.He should be suspended for the remainder of the season ....and fired by Lethbridge mangement for embarrasing his team and being a poor role model.

Bocephus
03-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Amen west coast.
This doesn't only make the Canes look like bratty children it also puts the league in a terrible light. In the league Govenor's city too! If anybody thinks this doesn't hinder a Mem Cup bid has blinders on. Is this the way a league representative behaves? They acted like spoiled tantrum acting babies. Just like they have all but the previous month or so. This fan is so sad to see then revert back after the strides they seemed to be making.
It doesn't matter to me whether the call was correct or not. That is not the way a leader(s) act!
There's no justification for it. I wasn't amused or entertained.
Now...Go Canes Go!

TheRiderman63
03-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Im starting to agree with some people after looking on a couple blogs and forums. I was very pissed about last night and how it all went down but I am a little embarassed on what some of our players behaived last night, Ok RP lost it and totally understandable but when that bad emotion trickles down to the players thats no good at all. and our assistant coach should of kept them in check instead of acting spoiled kids. I did say that there is always two sides to the story but when you are more worried about the other teams fans and reacting to opposing players thats when your head is not in the game anymore and starts all the extra stuff.

moon
03-06-2011, 09:50 PM
I just about choke on my Cheetos every time you call yourself a fan, Moon. Being a fan does not mean you have to always be 100% on board or like everyone and everything that is team related, but you complain about everything! You resort to immmature name calling of the coach and the captain. When they do well and you have nothing to whine about your posts are no where to be found. Not once after a good game this season have you had a positivething to say. They lose and you are jumping all over the coach and players again and every thread must contain the manadatory "if we won a game it's only because the other teams are so bad". Never a pat on the back. And now you say that what happened last night doesn't really matter because they would not have won anyway? Are you kidding me? How in heaven's name do you know that? How do you know that the momentum shift was not going to go in our favor if the goal wasn't called off? If you want to side with the angelic linesman because he was just doing his job so very, very well, then fine. But just once could you quit complaining about the team for five minutes? I find it astounding that the only time you dole out a pat on the back is to an official who MAY HAVE cost the Canes a game.

But wait, that's it, isn't it? Anyone who beats the Hurricanes whether another team, player or official, gets your praise because then you can continue berating the Canes. If the Canes win, you will have nothing to ***** about and you're only happy when you're *****ing.

You, dear Sir, are no fan. Quit calling yourself one.

I don;t complain about everything actually if you read my posts rather than just making broad generalizations you would see that.

I have been pretty clear and concise in my criticism of this team. 1. Preston is not qualified and in way over his head as HC and GM 2. It made no sense to give him both jobs 3. Reddington has been piss poor this year, especially when you throw in the fact that he is a 20 year old and captain.

People lately have been coming around to my point of thinking more and more as the season goes on showing that I wasn't just throwing it against the wall to be negative but that there actually was some substance there.

Also, it isn't like I am on here after every loss rubbing in loses. I am involved in the bigger threads and bigger issues that come up and give my points.

The main reason that I am not posting much after wins is because there really aren't that many to talk about. The team has the second fewest wins in the league after Calgary and many of those wins weren't anything to write home about.

Feel free to show me all these posts where i said the Canes only won because of the other team.

Yes I don't think they would have won last night because they have shown us all season long that they lose a whole lot more than they win. What reason is there to believe that they could come back when a call like that makes them lose total control? That doesn't show me that they have a lot of mental strength to come back on the road against a better team.

moon
03-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Amen CanesCrazy you said what were all thinking. And im tired off people like him here in LA.

You are tired of people that pay to go to games, cheer for the team and want this team to improve both on and off the ice?

Would you prefer that I ignore the lack of wins/talent in the organization so the team continues to be at the bottom of the standings? Is it better to give Preston and the board a free pass when they are doing an awful job?

I am tired of fans that have the attitude that you have to love the direction of a team that is going to be bottom 5 for the second year in a row with little to no hope going forward. I am tired of the attitude of fans that just because it is the team they cheer for everything they do is awesome.

2speak4all
03-06-2011, 10:12 PM
You are tired of people that pay to go to games, cheer for the team and want this team to improve both on and off the ice?

Cant imagine you cheering at a game. Not the way you sound on here.

Would you prefer that I ignore the lack of wins/talent in the organization so the team continues to be at the bottom of the standings? Is it better to give Preston and the board a free pass when they are doing an awful job?

You have problem ignoring the wins, since you only focus on the losses. Three years this team was not at the bottom of the standings and considering what Preston was left with, he is doing better than many other coaches who have to rebuild and it is what with they left themselves.

I am tired of fans that have the attitude that you have to love the direction of a team that is going to be bottom 5 for the second year in a row with little to no hope going forward. I am tired of the attitude of fans that just because it is the team they cheer for everything they do is awesome.

When was the last time you had a positive thought? 2 years at the bottom is not bad. Many teams have done worse than that and some have done better. If you are tired of the attitude of the fans who wish to see the glass half full than rather than half empty, then find why not just find a different sport to do your kind of cheering for??

moon
03-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Cant imagine you cheering at a game. Not the way you sound on here.

Cheer for them every time I am at a game.

You have problem ignoring the wins, since you only focus on the losses. Three years this team was not at the bottom of the standings and considering what Preston was left with, he is doing better than many other coaches who have to rebuild and it is what with they left themselves.

This team was left with two elite players, one of which came back for two more years, and the Canes got pretty much 0 for them.

When was the last time you had a positive thought? 2 years at the bottom is not bad. Many teams have done worse than that and some have done better. If you are tired of the attitude of the fans who wish to see the glass half full than rather than half empty, then find why not just find a different sport to do your kind of cheering for??

I have had plenty of positive thoughts thanks and 2 years at the bottom is just the start of it, what is there to indicate that the team will be good going forward? The 16 and 17 year olds on this team have to be in the bottom 5 groups in the league.

I have no problem with seeing the glass half full, it is the fans that only see the glass full, at all times with no acknowledgement of the problems with the team and organization.

canes watcher
03-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Bo,
To your earlier question about Maxwell's suspension, it was centred more around what happened in the hallway after the game than the water bottle toss. There was pushing, shoving and threats after the game. And Preston coached that Regina team. They were a very well coached team and showed a lot of discipline in that game.

Bocephus
03-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks.
I should just google it. I'm sure their are stories about it somewhere.
I had never asked nor been told details. It seems a dark stain in Canes history people don't really bring up.

Derek Sutton
03-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks.
I should just google it. I'm sure their are stories about it somewhere.
I had never asked nor been told details. It seems a dark stain in Canes history people don't really bring up.
I'm too lazy to search. What started it all IIRC was non call on a hit from behind on Colin Cloutier, he laid there prone on the ice as Regina scored, a goal, went on to win the series. Cloutier was never the same player, Maxwell was suspended for "threatening the ref". Rumor was he spent the next year in the Twister suit although it was never proven. Spending all year focused as a GM however provided us with the best, most memorable year as Canes fans.

Wow 95 was 16 years ago, my memory sucks, please post any links you find

Bocephus
03-07-2011, 04:08 PM
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/tools/story_pf.asp?ID=244491
My college roommates friend spent time in the Twister gear. That was the fall of 97. From what I was told there are multiple Twisters. That would have been hilarious if Maxwell wore the horns!
I was at a game at Henderson a few weeks back. Maxwell was there watching and Shockey was coaching a Calgary Midget team. It's all so twisted.

canes watcher
03-07-2011, 04:20 PM
The biggest thing was the assistant coach yelling death threats while a few players and Maxwell were held back. The ref, Reimer, didn't go straight to his room. He got back in Maxwell's face and that's where the alleged "shove" took place, as the two were screaming at each other. Meanwhile, the assistant coach was yelling about how some buddies of his from Regina were going to hurt the ref when he got home. It's not really a stain, the newspaper has mentioned it a few times, but the other media guys and girls weren't around when it happened.

Bocephus
03-07-2011, 04:23 PM
So, they don't exchange Christmas Cards? :)

Derek Sutton
03-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Reiber. He never refereed another WHL game and he moved to Japan, that is true, not like the Twister story which is just funny. Nothing ever came of the fact that Reiber was never hired by the WHL again and was a bad ref who had a horrible night. For those who wonder why Lethbridge always gets a raw deal from the officials, one has to look no further then this whole incident. They are being served a lifetime punishment, not only for the way the official was treated, but also because one of their own (an official) lost his job.

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
03-07-2011, 05:17 PM
another one that comes to mind is Kowal, who was another in the long line of arrogant refs hired by the WHL. He also had an attitude that would test the temperment of many a WHL coach.

One of the biggest contraversies that came out of the Maxwell suspension, is whether or not he should have returned to the bench at the 93 Memorial Cup. Shockey had coached the team through the rest of the season and throughout the playoffs.....only to have Maxwell return to the bench for the Mem Cup. A lot of fans (rightly or wrongly) felt that Maxwell should have let Shockey go the rest of the way.....but, what GM/Coach would not want to coach his team in the Mem Cup?

dylan <3Brody does that mean that dylan is equal to less than 3 brody sutters? Ha Ha!:groovy:

west coast
03-07-2011, 05:37 PM
so Preston waste about five minutes throwing everything he can find on to the ice and Lethbridge doesnt get a delay of game penalty ....yes that was poor reffing !!

Bocephus
03-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Bad refs? Agar, Zalaski, and Matsuoka all immediatelly come to mind. I know there were far more over the years that I came to expect the worst from but those are the only three I can recall.
...And yes, you have cracked the code on the <3! :)
Also, one of my first Canes games was early in the fall on 96. The Canes demolished the Edmonton Ice. Something like 12-2. I remember O'Grady coming out of the penalty box and taking a breakaway pass and beating the tender for about goal number 10.
My first impression of that squad was that they were skilled and also a bunch of big bad bullies. they really did whatever they felt like. Most dominant Canes team I have watched while I lived here. The '07-'08 team was the most enjoyable to cheer for though. Easy to get on board with Metsola, Sbisa, Boychuk, and Bancks. Loved that playoff run! Especially sweeping the Hitmen and the Kinger goal at the southend to win a game. :) chills baby

canes watcher
03-07-2011, 07:14 PM
You've got your facts wrong on Reiber (I'm always calling him Reimer, so my facts aren't always right). Drinnan from Kamloops caught up with him about a year or so ago. Reiber left on an exchange to Switzerland, got married and has made more as a ref than any of the guys currently in the league. He kept at it, and the Swiss pro league pays better anyway.

Derek Sutton
03-07-2011, 10:34 PM
You've got your facts wrong on Reiber (I'm always calling him Reimer, so my facts aren't always right). Drinnan from Kamloops caught up with him about a year or so ago. Reiber left on an exchange to Switzerland, got married and has made more as a ref than any of the guys currently in the league. He kept at it, and the Swiss pro league pays better anyway.

you've just ruined my evening, and made me feel like a fool for yelling JAPAN!! JAPAN!! every time I see bad refereeing from Novice right up to the WHL.

Bony, dude it was in 97, don't make me feel thAT old

Derek Sutton
03-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Also, one of my first Canes games was early in the fall on 96. The Canes demolished the Edmonton Ice. Something like 12-2. I remember O'Grady coming out of the penalty box and taking a breakaway pass and beating the tender for about goal number 10.
My first impression of that squad was that they were skilled and also a bunch of big bad bullies. they really did whatever they felt like. Most dominant Canes team I have watched while I lived here.

Do you remember Purinton KO'ing Graham Belak in that game? It stands out so clearly in my mind. Belak shoving Andrew Kaminski, and Purinton just skating over and POW, glove on punch right in the chops. I also remember O'Grady's goal. The next day we bought our season tickets.

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
03-07-2011, 10:59 PM
...And yes, you have cracked the code on the <3! :)

Glad my math skills are still around! LOL

Playoff memories (since we will likely have none this year)Rookie FWD Austin Fyten's overtime goal against Calgary. Juha's fantastic save in overtime against Calgary (sorry can't remember who it was on, but it saved the game).

Interesting comment by Preston tonight on the non-talk Talk Show. He said that most of the GM's in the league would prefer the one referee system. Of course that will never happen again as the WHL is a source for pro refs.

Actually one of the better referees way back when, was Mike Hasenfratz and one of the best linesmen was Mike Cvik.

canes watcher
03-07-2011, 11:26 PM
I always thought that math symbol looked a little like nuts. As in "I can clearly see your nuts." I think most referees would prefer the one-man system. And my favourite playoff memory is the MemCup comeback against Hull. I was there, it was fun and Mike Josephson knew how to score some goals.

Bocephus
03-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Andrew Kaminski? I don't recognize the name. I recall a Matt Demarski who was traded as a 20 for 16 year old Scott Borders just before opening night 97. There was a Kevin Kamiski too for sask wasn't there? So long ago to remember.
I could have swore that Fyten goal was in Cranbrook. Am I wrong again.
That year to I recall a late regular season win in town again the Hitties. Bancks scored with minutes to go burying a goal as a rebound was kicked out to the right side and he buried it. 1-0 win and that played a huge role in the Canes playoff swagger weeks later.
I'm not recalling the Purinton/Belak deal. I do remember thinking Purinton was a tad unstable. Hahahah
Must have been tough to play that Canes team.
Love memory lane.
I knew Scott Burt on that expansion Ice team before he was traded to the Rebels. Man, they got spanked so much that year.
Once worked and became friends with a guy on the Hitties expansion team too. He had some hilarious stories. As a 16 he had to shadow Langkow of TC. Hitties lost by double digets he said. LMAO

Bocephus
03-08-2011, 09:04 AM
You were right and I was wrong.
The game in Kootenay I was confusing with the Fyten OT goal with was this one.
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/4438
Another young first year player scoring in 2OT, Iwanski.
Must be a hell of a feeling to score a huge OT Playoff goal so young. Brings a smile to my face.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-08-2011, 01:28 PM
very well. I was at the game in the Saddledome. Fyten got the puck in tight and roofed one over Spence's right shoulder top shelf. That pretty much sealed that series win for the Canes as it put us up 3 - 0 in games. The other thing I remember was Boychuk and Fadden just ate up Alzner and the Calgary D those last 2 games in Calgary. Boychuk I think had like 3 or 4 goals in the last 2 games and Alzner was -4 or -5 or something. Too bad those 2 games were the Hurricane's last wins that year, thanks to Spokane.

Bocephus
03-08-2011, 02:10 PM
HR, that doesn't add up.
Hitties finished first. Canes finished third. Conference Finals would have meant Calgary had the first two games at the Saddledome. Games 3 and 4 at the Enmax. Was game three the King goal in OT? I do remember the Alzner/Boychuk situation like you do.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-08-2011, 02:24 PM
HR, that doesn't add up.
Hitties finished first. Canes finished third. Conference Finals would have meant Calgary had the first two games at the Saddledome. Games 3 and 4 at the Enmax. Was game three the King goal in OT? I do remember the Alzner/Boychuk situation like you do.

Your right... duh on me. It was actually game 2 of that series at the Saddledome. My memory ain't what it used to be. I just know I was at the Fyten OT game in person ... in some rink ... somewhere .... sometime...haha. So Fytens' OT winner was in the second game.

Wow. I did not know the WHL site had this much detail but I just found this link to Fyten's playoff stats that year.

http://whl.ca/roster/gameByGame/id/740/ls_season/230

Bocephus
03-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Did a little research.
Fyten OT goal in game two at the Saddledome for a 2-0 lead coming home for game three. I still can't recall the King goal in my head. I thought it was against the Hits. Anyway, good memories from what I remember. Haha

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-08-2011, 02:45 PM
According to the WHL website, King only scored one goal against Calgary and it was not in O/T. I am still amazed at how much detail is on that website if your start digging. It does show King got an empty netter in game 5 against the Ice at home to seal that series victory for the Canes. He scored 5 goals in that series but the system gives an error message when I try to look at the other Ice game summaires.

http://whl.ca/schedule/show/game/4449

Anyway, those are fond memories but back to reality and this years team.......arrrgh.

Bocephus
03-08-2011, 02:58 PM
I get the same error message so I wasn't able to see if I am wrong or not. I was thinking perhaps it was against the Ice. I remember it was scored in the Southend and from the left wing side on the rush.
Of course, it is entirely possible that I've lost my mind too. :)

Derek Sutton
03-08-2011, 03:41 PM
but I've still got it
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=28706

CrazyCanesFan
03-08-2011, 05:04 PM
I get the same error message so I wasn't able to see if I am wrong or not. I was thinking perhaps it was against the Ice. I remember it was scored in the Southend and from the left wing side on the rush.
Of course, it is entirely possible that I've lost my mind too. :)

I remember the King goal like it was yesterday. It was against the Ice in game 2 of the semi-finals. That was the game where we had the 4-0 lead in the third, and Kootenay came back to tie it 4-4 to force overtime. King then scored the overtime winner and everyone went crazy! By winning that game we had tied the series at one. That was also the first win of our 8-game playoff win streak.

Bocephus
03-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks CCF. That's the goal. Can we see that goal on the new scoreboard next year? Anyone listening out there in the Canes Org?

PeacefulChaos
03-08-2011, 05:53 PM
So RP gets a one game suspension and a $750 fine. Seem reasonable?
I just hope that Klein is also spoken to about being a crappy ref...

Might be fun to see Kaby behind the bench on Wednesday.
GO CANES GO!!

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
03-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks CCF. That's the goal. Can we see that goal on the new scoreboard next year? Anyone listening out there in the Canes Org?

Hey guys.....I have a suggestion that I know the Hurricanes Business Manager
would love. With the new score board some of those goals/saves would be great as hilites from the past. Since the Canes will be celebrating their 25th season next year, they would certainly add to any visual presentation that might be planned.

So.....why not send your suggestions to the Hurricane's new business manager with any links along with why the goal or play was important. I have emailed the Hurricanes before through the board email address which is on the Hurricane web site.

Just a suggestion , but I would bet that they would be much appreciated!

Richie69
03-08-2011, 11:23 PM
If I may interrupt this walk down Hurricanes memory lane, and return us momentarily to the KLEIN Refereeing Debacle, Exhibit #3,435 for a moment...

Does anyone know what EXACTLY was being discussed for 5+ minutes during the delay after the goal by Sutter?

I can only assume that ONE or the OTHER of the two officials acts as "lead official" in these instances, and would have the final say on the linesman's call, and that if after discussing the "infraction" together, IF they wanted to over-rule it, it would be within the rules to do so? (Allowing the play to continue until the next whistle would suggest that there would be OPTIONS to me).

1. Were they discussing the call with the linesman or were the upstairs officials searching the game tape to review the severity of the infraction?
2. Were they trying to figure out the time on the clock (upstairs officials) at the time the Canes first touched the puck AFTER the infraction?
3. Were they waxing Klein's head so that when they returned with the momentum-shifting call, he would look his very 1st-star best?

mjw22
03-08-2011, 11:40 PM
We are going to be in Lethbridge on business on Wed and we're going to the hockey game . Our first time at your rink anything we should know .

2speak4all
03-09-2011, 12:00 AM
We are going to be in Lethbridge on business on Wed and we're going to the hockey game . Our first time at your rink anything we should know .

1.Buy your tickets at the white tent outside of the Main Building.
2.Eat before and after the game at Backstreet Pub. After the game if you have your ticket stub you get a discount depending on what the dice on the ice was during the 2nd intermission.
3. Watch the 'red shirts' in the corner as they cheer and get the crowd going.
4. If Klein shows up to Ref - get your popcorn ready to litter him with.
4. Cheer as loud as you can, for the Canes!!! -:)

Safe Travels!

canes77
03-09-2011, 06:09 PM
For all you fans that are anti-Preston... tonight is your night... it's not permanent but you'll get a chance to see how the Canes perform without Preston running the bench. Perhaps a 6-1 victory?? ha ha

mjw22
03-11-2011, 10:51 PM
1.Buy your tickets at the white tent outside of the Main Building.
2.Eat before and after the game at Backstreet Pub. After the game if you have your ticket stub you get a discount depending on what the dice on the ice was during the 2nd intermission.
3. Watch the 'red shirts' in the corner as they cheer and get the crowd going.
4. If Klein shows up to Ref - get your popcorn ready to litter him with.
4. Cheer as loud as you can, for the Canes!!! -:)

Safe Travels!

Thanks. Looked like a good turn out . Cheered loudly for winning team.:D

Richie69
03-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Canes got a little closer to the post-season by (barely) beating Calgary tonight. They are going to have to be much better if they expect to have ANY chance against the Tigers tomorrow... Otherwise there is no Vey that they will win that game; Tigers will etem alive for sure.

BTW... HEADS UP, ANDERSON!! The Tigers will be running you as per their usual M.O. (I see that even with the Medicine Hat resident and heavily biased WHL referee Devin Klein officiating, they couldn't get away with TWO "Goaltender Interference" penalties in their OT win against Red Deer tonight.

moon
03-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Canes got a little closer to the post-season by (barely) beating Calgary tonight.

PA won tonight as well. How did the Canes get any closer to the post-season?

Richie69
03-12-2011, 10:46 AM
PA won tonight as well. How did the Canes get any closer to the post-season?

Optimistic-me says the Canes are going to PA for a one-game play-off for the final play-off berth. The Canes will win their final five games of the regular season, and this feat started in Calgary last night.:clap:

Optimistic-me says that even though Brandon doesn't have much to gain, they should have enough pride to do us a favour by ending PA's two-game win streak tonight. They will send them home with a new one to work on.:D

Realistic-me says that PA will then win their final three against the Calgary Whippedmen, and the Swift Current Donkeys (2).:deadhorse::deadhorse:

:burningmad:(Pessimistic-me says that the Canes won't get another point this year until October with 19 shots a game):burningmad:

grainbear
03-12-2011, 03:36 PM
I see that he has been suspended by the league for the boarding major, anyone there last night on the bus that can comment. I could not listen as was busy looking after my grandson

Bocephus
03-12-2011, 06:58 PM
None of us really saw it. Suddenly the Calgary player was laying on the ice by the bench gate. The replay didn't show the penalty as Ross and the player were engaged and went out of the frame about 15 feet from where the player lay. We were all miffed. Ross also appeared confused and Preston again snapped.

TheRiderman63
03-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Wow another loss, Like wow PA is bagging us to take there playoff spot with them keep losing and the canes wont take advantage of it at all. And come on fans it sounded like we were in Medicine Hat tonight with all the noise from the Tiger fans and them chearing, they took over the enmax today.