PDA

View Full Version : WHL LIVE PPV

west coast
02-09-2011, 04:15 AM
The quality of the WHL live PPV must improve.Some of the games are very enjoyable.....and some are a low budget circus of technical difficulties.Some rinks must have more cameras.It would be nice if the camera man follow the play as well.Some rinks are just not equipped for the 21st century.There are far too many glitches.A better job at the PPV would increase fan support .

SectionNDeserter
02-09-2011, 07:37 AM
I haven't seen any 'technical' problems this season with the webcasts (poor quality sound, choppy video etc), but some problems with the format of some of them. The audio and video feed from the last Red Deer game in Prince Albert was fantastic, but it appears that it was little more than the video feed from the scoreclock screens, as a disproportionate amount of the game I was treated to a 10 second looping animated logo of the Raiders, a Subway logo, the 50/50 total brought to you by TJ's Pizza, and some farmer wearing a crown (can anyone from PA tell me what is with the farmer wearing a crown?!? :confused:). A lot of the feeds from around the league are actually the direct feed from the scoreclock screens, but the one in PA is completely unsuitable for that, as it is used primarily as a means to track the realtime progress of the 50/50.

The guy that calls the games in Cranbrook is just SO bad, that I have to actually turn the sound off for the games there.

Squig
02-09-2011, 10:16 AM
i know there is a mandate from the league to have Video screens in all rinks by the end of 2012. I suspect there will be very little pressure from the league to upgrade until then. It is quite a jump to go from a single cam feed to a multi cam feed. A lot of expense, labour and expertise.

west coast
02-09-2011, 02:33 PM
The WHL is a brand.If some teams dont want to make their rinks suitable for tv viewing...then that is a problem.The PPV deal could be a huge market for teams.It is a great tool at promoting teams and putting more bums in the seats.Of course it cost money to put on a production,but they also charge a fee for this service.There are some cities that have state of the art newer stadiums that would love to join the WHL.Small market teams with substandard arenas should take notice.

Joe Hallenback
02-09-2011, 02:54 PM
I believe they want every team to have a HD Cam in the rink by 2012

west coast
02-10-2011, 03:41 AM
I love watching key games on the PPV.I will gladly pay for a good broadcast.I feel ripped off when the screen goes blue for prolonged periods.I dont like it when i have no audio.There are some rinks that do a great job and make it an enjoyable time to watch games.On the other hand,there are a few rinks that looks like the feed is being done by elementary school kids.It seems the big market teams do the best job.I would like to see the overall quality of the broadcasts get better. ...just saying

Wrangler
02-18-2011, 02:17 PM
I agree with SectionN trying to watch a game from PA is alful. It's bad enough to try a watch with the choppy video but when all the popups show up (every 60 sects or so) it's worst. But I guess that's advertisement who pays the bills and keeps the cameras running.:burningmad:

WHEATMAN
02-18-2011, 04:08 PM
(can anyone from PA tell me what is with the farmer wearing a crown?!? :confused:).

Ditto. That picture sometimes makes me chuckle, its just so random.

SectionNDeserter
02-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Ditto. That picture sometimes makes me chuckle, its just so random.C'mon PA fans! Lets us in on this inside joke!