PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Memorial cup

west coast
02-09-2011, 08:43 PM
i heard on the radio that it is a 3 horse race for the 2013 Memorial cup.Saskatoon,Red Deer and Lethbridge are in the running.I would prefer that the Saskatoon Blades be the 2013 host.I believe that they would be the most competitive team.Their stadium is also the most suitable.

sbtatter
02-09-2011, 09:45 PM
I think all 3 rinks are fine, who is likely to have the best team in 2013 is probably a more important consideration?

hotdog-pocket
02-09-2011, 11:58 PM
What do you mean by "in the running"?

I didn't think teams had officially even applied yet.

west coast
02-10-2011, 03:31 AM
Saskatoon Blades look like they will have the best team by far over both the Rebels and Hurricanes.The Rebels will be without RNH,and to be honest ,i just dont see Lethbridge having the team to compete.Saskatoon,s stadium would fit the most spectators,therefore bringing in the dollars.Red Deer would be the second choice ,i just dont think that the horseshoe configuration of Lethbridge is big enough.The Memorial cup is a huge event ...a showpiece.I hope that they make the right decision and give the event to Saskatoon.
I think all 3 rinks are fine, who is likely to have the best team in 2013 is probably a more important consideration?

Rockets1231
02-11-2011, 11:43 PM
I think by 2013 Saskatoon will be in a bit of a rebuild, lots of their players are in their final year this year, or next. I'm not sure about Lethbridge, but I think Red Deer may be in the same boat as Saskatoon. Don't get me wrong I live in Saskatoon so I'd love to have the Blades host it, especially if Kelowna wins the WHL that year haha, but if the decision is solely on how good the team will be I'm not sure the Blades are the best choice.

west coast
02-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Looking into the crystal ball and trying to determine which teams will be dominating to compete for a chance to win the 2013 Memorial cup.The formula would be to have a strong core of 93 and 94 players Three standout 92,s and a great coach.Teams that resemble that description are Saskatoon and Edmonton.

canes77
02-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Looking into the crystal ball and trying to determine which teams will be dominating to compete for a chance to win the 2013 Memorial cup.The formula would be to have a strong core of 93 and 94 players Three standout 92,s and a great coach.Teams that resemble that description are Saskatoon and Edmonton.

I think attendance has a lot to factor into the formula as well. Teams should be rewarded based on high attendance/revenue on top of the predictions of on-ice results. I wonder why Everett and Tri-City aren't included as they seem to do well in both categories, TC especially! Both play in arguably the CHL's strongest division in the past 3-4 years. Perhaps potential clashes with business partners and Canadian advertisers out east are reasons why...

I believe the host will be named in mid-October 2011, only weeks into next seasons schedule. So if the US teams are blacklisted from hosting, that leaves the other four teams earlier mentioned up above...

1. I would personally love Leth to host it but they would have to steal a round this upcoming playoffs to show they can compete on the ice (small odds of that happening though eh?)... the club as a whole is quickly turning itself around but the 2013 event might be too early.

2. Edmonton has a young team and two great new coaches, but I highly doubt a WHL team sharing a rink with an NHL team would end up hosting, although it's with the last place Oilers... That's why Calgary has never hosted even though they were well-deserving to be hosts many times. Vancouver fortunately has two big arenas so the Giants as sole occupants were able to host 4 years ago.

3. Saskatoon seems to have all the right things (in the formula) going for them, not only this year but in the two previous seasons. The key detail is whether or not Lorne can keep it up with his prospects or will there be a decline next fall?

4. Red Deer would be a great site. Their team is younger than Sask with Wallin and staff looking like they'll be strong for a couple more years, with or without RNH. They also would be a first time host, something that seems to mean a lot to the league's governors when choosing a site.

My serious vote would go to RD. But if money was no factor, I'd say give it to MJ and the crushed can! I know MJ's new rink opens this fall but wouldn't the two eastern teams be in for a shock playing in that barn :)

sbtatter
02-12-2011, 09:49 AM
But if money was no factor, I'd say give it to MJ and the crushed can! I know MJ's new rink opens this fall but wouldn't the two eastern teams be in for a shock playing in that barn :)

I like this comment;)

west coast
02-12-2011, 10:38 AM
i believe the WHL wants the 2013 team to be from the Eastern conference...based on a western conference team hosted it last in Vancouver .An American team would be a good host in the future....and hopefully the new rink in Moose jaw is the standard 200 by 85 rink .Portlands Memorial coliseum and the crushed can are the only smaller than regulation size rinks in the league and it sure gives them a huge home ice advantage especially when they stack their teams with size

SectionNDeserter
02-12-2011, 10:58 AM
i believe the WHL wants the 2013 team to be from the Eastern conference...based on a western conference team hosted it last in Vancouver.Pretty sure the last host was Brandon...

GBG BLEED BLUE
02-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Yes the last host was Brandon. Even if Saskatoon did not host it,I would still like to go to it. lol Whether the Blades are in it or not.

Squig
02-12-2011, 03:57 PM
They recently did an impact study on the hockey team which specifically showed the dollars it brings into this city. I think the study was done to bring the city on board with the bid. Yes we did host it recently but dont be surprised to see them bid again.

RDRebelsfan
02-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Wow, the Rebels are actually going to put a bid in?

I always heard stories that Sutter would prefer to get to the Memorial Cup via the front door, without hosting. Maybe minds have changed.

IF Red Deer does host. 2013 could be a BIG year for Central AB Hockey fans, as Alberta also hosts the 2013 Allan Cup and from what I know the Bentley Generals have put in their bid and are more than likely to get the host spot over Stony Plain or Sylvan Lake.

So you'd have the Allan Cup going on in mid-late April, and then the next month the Memorial Cup. All within the same city.

TheRiderman63
02-13-2011, 02:24 AM
Right now I cant see Lethbridge getting the memorial cup, it sure would be great to see it here but who knows. Lethbridge is doing hundreds of renos to the building as we speak and its gonna be stellar exspecially the bran new 1.2 million dollar jumbo video tron that will be here for the start of 2011-2012 season which will really help.

hotdog-pocket
02-13-2011, 08:22 AM
I think by 2013 Saskatoon will be in a bit of a rebuild, lots of their players are in their final year this year, or next. I'm not sure about Lethbridge, but I think Red Deer may be in the same boat as Saskatoon. Don't get me wrong I live in Saskatoon so I'd love to have the Blades host it, especially if Kelowna wins the WHL that year haha, but if the decision is solely on how good the team will be I'm not sure the Blades are the best choice.

The Blades will still have great pieces in place by then.

Brent Benson and Duncan Siemens will both be 19 year olds...in their WHL primes. Darren Dietz could be included in that as well.

Guys like Levi Bews, Ryan Olsen and Dalton Thrower will all be 18 year olds coming off their NHL draft year.

The team could likely have Connor Cox and Chris Collins as 20 year olds.

There are a ton of nice pieces the Blades will still have in place for that point in time.

The Schenn trade obviously hurts their chances, but it's not like they won't have anyone out of their current squad.