PDA

View Full Version : 2011-2012

2speak4all
02-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Since I am thinking this year is a done deal, I am looking ahead to next year.

We have seven 18year old players on the roster right now - Hood, Tarnasky, Moser, Oslanski, Ryckman, Johnson, Kizuik. Out of those there are 4 of them on defence. That would only leave an additional 3 d'man open of which one Jackson has and I would think Hulit would be the another dman on board leaving only one spot for a rookie to come on board. This being the case for dman, leaves the coaching staff with a large gap to fill the next year with 4 dman turning 20. I have to think they would be dumping one or possibly 2 dman of the 18 year old batch this year to bring in one 16 year old and possibly 2 more 17 year olds to groom for the upcoming years. Any ideas on who stays or goes?

We have also our 20 year old situation next year. Sutter, Braes, Fyten, Berglund, and Machacek. I would have to think Berglund will be gone as he would hold 2 positions as an import and 20 year old. That still leaves us with 4 twenty year olds. If they keep the lines of Braes, Sutter, and Fyten together then I have to think Machacek will be gone. But I am not sold on whether Sutter will stay.

It could be that we a bit of a newer team next year with several newer faces. If there is nothing done with the bulk of 18 year old players we have, then there will be a huge turnover the following year when all those those will turn 20.

With Maxwell, Ross and possibly Berglund gone next year, I see room for some new faces there as well.

I see some major changes next year. Whether something is done after the post season or during training camp.

canes watcher
02-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Robson said at least six new (16, 17) faces next year. Can't see Moser coming back. 16 year old dman picked at the trade deadline has to be a lock to make it. Balog, Merkley, also in. Berglund won't be back, read that the team is looking at Machacek, Braes Fyten and Sutter in camp for 20s.

2speak4all
02-14-2011, 11:40 PM
I see where Preston wants to put his mark on this team, but I have to wonder if we get all these new faces and still nothing changes much, do we have to wait another year before decisions are made as to the coaching staff, albeit it be Preston or Kabbie that moves on.

Robson saying that at least 6 or 7 new faces, means the 3 new faces to cover the 20 year old that leave and another for Berglund and one more for one of the other 20 year olds that have to go and that means only one other person not coming back. I have to think they should be looking at more like at least 8 or 9 new faces. Too many new faces means not the strongest of teams again :confused:

Another tough season ahead? :(:(

shushu
02-15-2011, 12:46 AM
I see where Preston wants to put his mark on this team, but I have to wonder if we get all these new faces and still nothing changes much, do we have to wait another year before decisions are made as to the coaching staff, albeit it be Preston or Kabbie that moves on.

Robson saying that at least 6 or 7 new faces, means the 3 new faces to cover the 20 year old that leave and another for Berglund and one more for one of the other 20 year olds that have to go and that means only one other person not coming back. I have to think they should be looking at more like at least 8 or 9 new faces. Too many new faces means not the strongest of teams again :confused:

Another tough season ahead? :(:(

tough times ahead, you can add all the 16/17 year old players you want and it will not change thing 4 quite a while,i cant see next year being much better than the last 2...down the road may be a different story if we keep piling up draft pick and HOPEFULLY don't trade them away 4 the mem cup if we get it....god i hope we don't get the mem cup...as preston says "we are not there yet''..................

2speak4all
02-15-2011, 01:11 AM
tough times ahead, you can add all the 16/17 year old players you want and it will not change thing 4 quite a while,i cant see next year being much better than the last 2...down the road may be a different story if we keep piling up draft pick and HOPEFULLY don't trade them away 4 the mem cup if we get it....god i hope we don't get the mem cup...as preston says "we are not there yet''..................

Don't think the Mem Cup coming to Lethbridge is a worry. There are going to be some hats coming in yet. I have to think with the quality team that Red Deer has, that Sutter will be throwing his hat in the ring to host since it has never been there, and Prince George was another, although they are quite a distance to travel for that length and not sure that it will be attractive enough for the WHL. Other possible teams Cranbrook (to boost fan base); Moose Jaw(since they have a new arena); Saskatoon (even if they just had WJ).

Worries me though that we won't have a tough team next year. I know rebuilding takes time, but I am sure we won't see Calgary rebuilding for too many years. Teams in our division will be strong again next year.

Bocephus
02-15-2011, 10:19 AM
McKechnie
Yakubowski
Drew Graham
Balog
Merkley
Erkamps
Leverton
Kovacs
Topping
Henry
Hulit
Branden Scheidl
Owsley?
Guiel
Who else am I not recalling who could be possible?

Bocephus
02-15-2011, 10:34 AM
McKechnie
Yakubowski
Drew Graham
Balog
Merkley
Erkamps
Leverton
Kovacs
Topping
Henry
Hulit
The defenseman they traded Bennefield for
Owsley?
Guiel

I would think the slam dunks would be Kovacs, Merkley, Erkamps, and Henry. What's everyone else's thoughts?

Bocephus
02-15-2011, 10:45 AM
I can only imagine two new Imports will be seen too. Berglund is gone and after all that has unfolded I can't imagine Kuvaev being back.
Is Balog really a slam dunk? He hasn't had a banner year in Midget.

2speak4all
02-15-2011, 11:31 AM
I think Merkley, Kovacs, Henry and Hulit are in for new faces. I guess depending on how the draft goes this year, potential to see a new 16 year old face or two. Don't know much about the guy we acquired at trade deadline.

As for Kuvaev, if he should get drafted this year, I can see him being back. I bet there will be some clearer expectations and understandings tho.

Bocephus
02-15-2011, 11:52 AM
24, If I have one wish it would be that come fall camp each player earns their roster spot. Last fall Preston said before camp that every returning player had to earn their roster spot. If a player eaned their spot for 2011-2012 I don't think you'd see a few current players here from this years team. I won't mention players by name. A lousy year this year shouldn't secure a spot for next year.
I'm moving to Vancouver in a few months. I can't see myself cheering for the Giants or Canucks. What do I do?

2speak4all
02-15-2011, 11:55 AM
24, If I have one wish it would be that come fall camp each player earns their roster spot. Last fall Preston said before camp that every returning player had to earn their roster spot. If a player eaned their spot for 2011-2012 I don't think you'd see a few current players here from this years team. I won't mention players by name. A lousy year this year shouldn't secure a spot for next year.
I'm moving to Vancouver in a few months. I can't see myself cheering for the Giants or Canucks. What do I do?

check out the new Canes team when they come in for a visit to Vancouver ..

caniac # 2
02-15-2011, 11:57 AM

DONT MOVE ?? HA HA HA

2speak4all
02-15-2011, 12:10 PM

I agree they should all have to earn their roster spot. The only way they will be turfed if someone else steps up to show they really earn that spot. In the forward dept I see many new challenges happening that could send a few players and as for defence, if Preston continues to build from the D out, then I don't think he will change much, albeit there will be too many 19 year old dman next year leaving for a huge change in the next year. Bringing in Hulit and Henry will give them 8 dman unless one is walking.

Bocephus
02-15-2011, 12:21 PM
DONT MOVE ?? HA HA HA
Just when things are improving here with the reno and the reduced season tix I decide to move. Maybe I will return for the mem cup! ;) hahah

Bocephus
02-15-2011, 12:34 PM
I agree they should all have to earn their roster spot. The only way they will be turfed if someone else steps up to show they really earn that spot. In the forward dept I see many new challenges happening that could send a few players and as for defence, if Preston continues to build from the D out, then I don't think he will change much, albeit there will be too many 19 year old dman next year leaving for a huge change in the next year. Bringing in Hulit and Henry will give them 8 dman unless one is walking.

I will orchestrate some trades from the coast. I will convince Bonner that Ryckman for Gallagher will benefit the Giants and I can watch Rycker for two more years. :)

Dutchie
02-15-2011, 02:55 PM
McKechnie
Yakubowski
Drew Graham
Balog
Merkley
Erkamps
Leverton
Kovacs
Topping
Henry
Hulit
Branden Scheidl
Owsley?
Guiel

You can add Jamal Watson, Remi Larochelle & Alex Wakaluk as well as at least one import.

Bocephus
02-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Barring injury I would think AW has zero chance of making the club. What about Jamal Watson? How did his season go?

2speak4all
02-15-2011, 04:22 PM
You can add Jamal Watson, Remi Larochelle & Alex Wakaluk as well as at least one import.

I don't think Wakaluk is near coming in as a contender for the goalie position. Since Anderson had the #1 position this year, unless some major happens, he will be back and I think Kovacs has a better chance as the backup. Kovacs stats are better in AAA Midgets than Wakaluk.

I will orchestrate some trades from the coast. I will convince Bonner that Ryckman for Gallagher will benefit the Giants and I can watch Rycker for two more years. :)

Gallagher could be what the Canes need up front. Moving Ryckman would free up one of the defence positions for a younger dman, but he is also one of the more steady PK teams.

Dutchie
02-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Barring injury I would think AW has zero chance of making the club. What about Jamal Watson? How did his season go?

Jamal Watson AMHL Calgary Flames:32GP 17G 12A 38PIM

Bocephus
02-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks Dutchie. That's pretty good. Only 7 points behind McKechnie and a year younger. I'd say that pretty good for a 5th rounder.
He will be interesting to watch this fall for Cane fans.

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
02-16-2011, 02:47 PM
....means another year to build and no Memorial Cup for 2013. I would be very suprised if the Hurricanes got the nod over Saskatoon or Red Deer for the 2013 Memorial Cup. Here's why. There are five criteria that must be met for the bidding teams. They include fan base (well this city has proven on more than one occassion that they will only support a winner). With only 1900 season tickets this season, that is not good enough. Yes the season tickets have been dropped but that is for one season only but no guarantee of 12-13 being over 2500. Another criteria is the business plan, and since the Hurricanes have lost money last year and will again this year, that will certainly hamper their chances. Plus the winning bid must guarentee the league a certain amount of money that is shared by the other teams. Facility....not a problem there. The biggest is how competitive the team will appear to be in the 12-13 season, and with 7 or 8 new faces next season in the 16-17 year old range, the team will struggle again, thus leaving doubts about 12-13. I can't see Preston selling draft picks and prospects in order to be a top contender for one year. Especially when he has gone to great lengths to get high draft picks. Red Deer and Saskatoon are strong franchises and both Brent Sutter and Lorne Molleken have a lot of pull with the league governors, they will be be front runners for sure. As for Cranbrook, the city is too small for an event like this as is the rink. Plus the closest major airport is Calgary which becomes a transportation nightmare. Moose Jaw? not likely because Regina has hosted the Mem Cup and Brandon just last year.

IMO 2016 would be more realistic. By then you would likely have a new GM and a new coach.

Bocephus
02-16-2011, 04:25 PM
By the time the MC comes around the Blades would be in year 5 of being top of the heap. Is that realistic? I would think they will take a step back next season and even a bigger step back by the 2013MC. Red Deer? I suppose they would still be near the top with assets to trade to make a serious competitive push. I have no confidence in the Cougars. They are the Cougars! They have never shown any ability in the past to put together a sustained stand on top of the mountain.
I fear the Canes have put themselves out there as possible hosts for so long now it would be a bit embarrassing to remove themselves from the picture at this point. If they do continue to push I would think they would cripple themselves for a decade in order to become competitive. Its a bit of a conundrum. What's the solution?
History shows that a team can turn it around quickly and unexpectedly. What will that take is anyone's guess.
I would love to see more Hurricane history in the new Enmax. How about banners of past players that made it to the Show. Walz, Boychuk, Sbisa, Phillips, Ritchie, Seabrook, Kopecky, Versteeg,.. I believe it would provide some home team atmosphere. We tend to forget the franchise successes.

caniac # 2
02-16-2011, 04:49 PM
I would rather see us earn a mem cup anyhow with a solid team instead of going in through the back door as they say, but the way things have been going , we might not ever get that chance because of coaching.

Now if Maxwell was coaching , we might have a chance, what do you think "ceps" and do you detect any sarcasm? I liked Maxwell when he coached and so did the players, and we went to Hull because of his trades , even though he was suspended, but he was a good coach and has the rings to prove it.

I dont want to argue either just saying how i feel and loved the good old days !

Bocephus
02-16-2011, 05:00 PM
ceps is fluent in sarcasm. :)
If Spokane can hire a former Tri coach, in Nachbaur, then maybe we can hire a former Tigger's coach. Come on Willie. Leave Dallas. :)

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
02-16-2011, 09:15 PM
...a case of dropping out Ceph. The league has given the criteria to all the teams who are bidding and who might bid and as mentioned on one of the local radio station talk shows a while back, the league will then assess the teams bidding and remove the ones that do not meet the criteria. It could be a case of the Hurricanes not dropping out but being dropped out of the race.

Maxwell did a great job building that team with deals that took the team over the top. However, there was a price to pay. Those deals and the ones he did not make the next season (not trading Smith and Willis) left the Hurricanes in a very weakened position for the next few years that followed.

Time will tell just what will happen with the Cane's bid for 2013. But one thing is certain, should they get it, there will be a lot of pressure on Preston to have a top notch team and therefore will force him into making deals that he would not normally make. Also, there will be enough GM's to put a gun to his head as far as deals go, because he will be caught between a rock and a hard place.

canes watcher
02-17-2011, 04:10 PM
I don't know about 2013 pressure on Preston. Looking at his contract, he's pretty clearly got to have a strong team next year or he's not back as coach the following year. And since it looks like they'll be counting on 16 and 17 year old rookies, that might not happen.

canes77
02-18-2011, 02:03 AM
McKechnie
Yakubowski
Drew Graham
Balog
Merkley
Erkamps
Leverton
Kovacs
Topping
Henry
Hulit
Branden Scheidl
Owsley?
Guiel

I would also add Hak from Winnipeg. Looked strong in training camp last fall the 2 days I watched. That still makes a huge list though, not all these guys will make it.

I still can't believe all the vets made the team over these younger guys. These younger guys on the list above can definately put up numbers but maybe they are too small still or cant play strong enough along the boards yet?

I would think the slam dunks would be Kovacs, Merkley, Erkamps, and Henry. What's everyone else's thoughts?

I agree those 4 are all slam dunks , although the latest trend (for some reason) with both Preston and the whole WHL seems to be keeping less 16 yr olds full time. The Canes only kept 1 this year while Kootenay didn't even keep any! I'm sure Merkley is the top choice given his draft position but we will see if any others stick around. As the regular season in Midget has just ended, I wonder if we'll get to see any of them in the next month...

There's no way they keep 4 19 yr old D-men next year... Ryckman and Johnston are top 4 guys, but what about Oslanski and Kuziuk??

canes77
02-18-2011, 02:05 AM

Either you're a lover or hater of the Flames, so there's that Abbotsford option ha ha... and you also have Chilliwack

Bocephus
02-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Those are all options although an hour or more away. I suppose the Burnaby Express exist. Is that the team Kyle Turris played for?
I actually can't wait to live in a place with so many hockey options. I'll be living 2 blocks from Rogers Arena.
How do us fans rank those D men? For me
1. Ryckman
2. Oslanski
3. Johnston
4. Kiziuk
Although they are all so close to each other IMO.

canes watcher
02-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Start with Johnston, then Ryckman who has struggled since that injury last season, then Kiziuk, then Oslanski. Based on this season, at least. Oslanski's been awful all season, playing third unit minutes and kicked off the power play. But youre right ceps, there's not much seperating them

grainbear
02-18-2011, 08:42 PM
here is my selection
Kovacs in goal
Hulit and Henry as d-men
Balog and Yakubowski at left wing
Mckechnie and Merkley at center

also think that Hak and Guiel and Blacklock will get a long look, not sure if Blacklock is commited to us yet as he did not show a last years camp

Once again we will keep most of the 95 back another year for development except for Merkley and maybe Leverton and Watson who will push and also Chris Stovall from Grapevine Texas who was in last year, we may also see a surprise or two now out of Minnisota since we have a scout working that area as well and WHl is going to run a camp similar to California camp

shushu
02-19-2011, 12:59 AM
pull anyone out of that league with their stellar record the past 2 years..i would think more the hat ,giants, or brandon would have way more luck from the Minnisota area than we will untill something turns around 4 the better......

Bocephus
02-19-2011, 02:45 PM
here is my selection
Kovacs in goal
Hulit and Henry as d-men
Balog and Yakubowski at left wing
Mckechnie and Merkley at center

also think that Hak and Guiel and Blacklock will get a long look, not sure if Blacklock is commited to us yet as he did not show a last years camp

Once again we will keep most of the 95 back another year for development except for Merkley and maybe Leverton and Watson who will push and also Chris Stovall from Grapevine Texas who was in last year, we may also see a surprise or two now out of Minnisota since we have a scout working that area as well and WHl is going to run a camp similar to California camp
Robson stated on last night's broadcast that he fully expects Balog and McKechnie to make the squad next year. This Leverton kid is intriguing to me. He seems under valued. Merkley seems over valued. They appear closer to each other than a 3rd and 25th? Overall picks. Their has to be a lot of roster moves to come before next years opening game. Although, I said the same thing a year ago and not much was done.