PDA

View Full Version : Don't look now..

Joe Hallenback
02-14-2011, 08:07 AM
But we are in the playoffs quite comfortably now. We have 2 games in hand on Swift Current and 3 points up on PA.

BUT

We don't have an easy Schedule. We play Saskatoon 3 times this month. I don't expect a win in any of those 3 games so that is why the 2 games against Swifty and 1 against Regina are must wins.

I have to admit to being surprised we are very much in it for a playoff spot. Credit must go to KM for being able to put together a team full of rookies and being able to compete. Couple that with the great return on Schenn and it is making for a very good ending to the season

wheatiesfan
02-14-2011, 08:39 PM
But we are in the playoffs quite comfortably now. We have 2 games in hand on Swift Current and 3 points up on PA.

BUT

We don't have an easy Schedule. We play Saskatoon 3 times this month. I don't expect a win in any of those 3 games so that is why the 2 games against Swifty and 1 against Regina are must wins.

I have to admit to being surprised we are very much in it for a playoff spot. Credit must go to KM for being able to put together a team full of rookies and being able to compete. Couple that with the great return on Schenn and it is making for a very good ending to the season

You have to marvel at the way McCrimmon seems to be able to come out on top when it comes to trading with the rest of the league. We acquire Matt Mckay [plus a pick] for Darren Bestland who although a fan favourite, was for the most part a train wreck in the defensive zone this year. Mckay is lighting it up offensively like the second coming of er, well, Braden Schenn. Then he deals Mr Schenn to the Blades for a windfall of prospects and top picks and in the meantime he has his rookie ladden team playing .700 hockey lately and looking to make a bid for the playoffs. Its been an impressive showing Mr McCrimmon.

chalk_one_up
02-14-2011, 09:04 PM
How did MacKay not get player of the week?

Joe Hallenback
02-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Mackay has been a great pick up for us. It has been a win win trade for both teams. Bestland is back playing good dependable hockey for the Giants and they have been winning as well.

I am just staggered at how good our young Defense has played of late. I mean my god we got Pulock in the 7th round!

Joe Hallenback
02-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Colored me shocked we rolled over the Blades last night. Could have been worse if Oswald doesn't make some good saves. The Blades were bound to lose sooner or later and I am glad it was against us. Big win should fill the boys with confidence now.

lordstanley
02-16-2011, 11:01 AM
i saw the game on webcast you guys looked good i wouldn't say you guys took it to us 5 on 5 but our 3rd ranked pk got lit up last night that was the difference in the game as you guys went 4/6 on the pp that pulock kid is a stud if you guys had just a bit better goaltending you could maybe suprise in the playoffs

Scott
02-16-2011, 01:25 PM
i saw the game on webcast you guys looked good i wouldn't say you guys took it to us 5 on 5 but our 3rd ranked pk got lit up last night that was the difference in the game as you guys went 4/6 on the pp that pulock kid is a stud if you guys had just a bit better goaltending you could maybe suprise in the playoffs

I think the last team the blades want to meet in the first round is BDN. Wouldn't it be funny if Brandon eliminated you guys!!!!:D

As for the game last night Brandon outplayed Saskatoon for a good part of 3 periods. The only thing that made the game close was Schenn dishing tape to tape passes on your PP which resulted in goals

Joe Hallenback
02-19-2011, 07:18 PM
wow 10-1 last night. Going to watch the game tonight

mckayd2001
02-19-2011, 10:33 PM
wow 10-1 last night. Going to watch the game tonight

What happened to Ferland tonight that he ended up being out of the game?

chalk_one_up
02-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Brandon needs to learn how to close out games and Liston needs to learn to stop pucks. Too many 7-4, 6-5 games from Brandon lately and they seem to be when Liston is in goal.

Allin44
02-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Brandon needs to learn how to close out games and Liston needs to learn to stop pucks. Too many 7-4, 6-5 games from Brandon lately and they seem to be when Liston is in goal.

Chalk it up to being a young team that needs to learn that killer instinct and not to let up.

sbtatter
02-20-2011, 03:14 PM

Clearly, we don't have the goaltending to be a threat this year. Hindsight is easy, but the lesson from this year is that if we could have a "do over", we'd drop Toews to make room for deSerres to mentor Liston....

Rye
02-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Goaltending is young but in no way would not having Toews and keeping DeSerres would the season have been much different, especially because the "mentoring" wouldn't have done a whole lot. Liston and DeSerres play two different styles and Liston was better off be named the starter and getting as many games as he has.

Maybe I just don't understand but what did you have in mind when you say being a mentor to Liston?

sbtatter
02-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Goaltending is young but in no way would not having Toews and keeping DeSerres would the season have been much different, especially because the "mentoring" wouldn't have done a whole lot. Liston and DeSerres play two different styles and Liston was better off be named the starter and getting as many games as he has.

Maybe I just don't understand but what did you have in mind when you say being a mentor to Liston?

2 parts to my thoughts...
1)Toews has been pretty much a bust as an overager, so no big loss if he wasn't here (watch him go on a big scoring streak now I've said that!!)
2) Liston could likely have used an older guy around to take the pressure off him being #1, to teach him how to handle being an everyday goalie in the dub, to try and help him be more consistent. Kelly Mac admits they over played him before Xmas, which hasn't helped him at all. Playing all those games would have been fine if he'd been on his game, but he's struggled quite a bit, and it must have hurt his confidence. At least with Boes improving they have been able to share the load, but I think everyone would admit that they envisioned Liston to be playing far better than he is at this time of the year.....He's still the tender of the future, but it's taking longer than us fans thought, maybe not the coaches....