PDA

View Full Version : mullin

gobroncos1986
02-17-2011, 04:17 PM
so i have a bit of a beef. i think the new radio guy mullin is doing a good job with the games and they started this podcast which is cool to have.but are you guys sick of how he's going easy on the team??? they've been awful this year especially lately and it's spin spin spin spin spin excuse excuse excuse excuse. i mean he might criticize a mistake on the ice but he is too easy on the coaches don't you think? the fans are upset he should be representing us and really holding the coaches feet to the fire!! the call is pretty good i just think he's going easy on them. do you guys agree?

i do like that they're doing a podcast i think it's cool for fans but lately it seemed like only audette was really giving the players hell for their play. it's a ocol thing to have but don't dance around it tell it like it is!!

Arthur Fonzerelli
02-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Shawn was the same way in Trail, a real company guy and no one on the team could do any wrong; coaches, managers, players, hot dog sellers, etc. He rides the bus with all these guys and if he starts crapping on them he thinks he'll be seated in the luggage compartment.

trucker
02-17-2011, 10:01 PM
It always takes a while to get used to a new pbp guy, but Mullin is doing a good job. As far as being harder on the team...his hands are tied, or at least I think. If he is to critisize the team, they could become less welcoming, so to speak, ie. make it more difficult to get interviews from players and coaches maybe keep him in the dark with team happenings etc. He is new hear and probably doesn't want to make waves. He knows better than the rest of us where the team is failing and what is going on behind the sceens and I'm sure he has an opinion as well! But if he starts calling like it is, his ass will be on the line!! Look at the mess in Kamloops with Drinnan. The league has a policy about "negative reporting" and it is unwelcome. I too wish he could spill the beens but it won't ever happen and Jon Keen was the same. Both guys do a good job and they have to keep their opinions to us somewhat limited. One more thing, I'm sure he knows Lamb is failing miserably at coaching this team and I'm sure he's tired of hearing the same old thing from Evjien after the game..."we did alot of things right tonight", But he has to stay hopefull with this team and keep trying to get the fans out to the games, and at the end of the day that's the most important thing.

ointhecreek
02-18-2011, 02:50 PM
It always takes a while to get used to a new pbp guy, but Mullin is doing a good job. As far as being harder on the team...his hands are tied, or at least I think. If he is to critisize the team, they could become less welcoming, so to speak, ie. make it more difficult to get interviews from players and coaches maybe keep him in the dark with team happenings etc. He is new hear and probably doesn't want to make waves. He knows better than the rest of us where the team is failing and what is going on behind the sceens and I'm sure he has an opinion as well! But if he starts calling like it is, his ass will be on the line!! Look at the mess in Kamloops with Drinnan. The league has a policy about "negative reporting" and it is unwelcome. I too wish he could spill the beens but it won't ever happen and Jon Keen was the same. Both guys do a good job and they have to keep their opinions to us somewhat limited. One more thing, I'm sure he knows Lamb is failing miserably at coaching this team and I'm sure he's tired of hearing the same old thing from Evjien after the game..."we did alot of things right tonight", But he has to stay hopefull with this team and keep trying to get the fans out to the games, and at the end of the day that's the most important thing.

I agree whole heartedly! His hands are tied. He has to ride the bus with the team and being new, doesn't need to make things difficult.

Toswammi
03-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Maybe it is me, but the last edition of his Bronco Show was really good and much more candid then usual. Good work guys.

jersey
03-04-2011, 03:24 PM
I still think, they are skirting around the issue of why they have so many injuries. The large number of injuries are not all fluke!!!,,,, they are the result of player/asset mis-management.

trucker
03-04-2011, 05:06 PM
I still think, they are skirting around the issue of why they have so many injuries. The large number of injuries are not all fluke!!!,,,, they are the result of player/asset mis-management.

Agreed. The only people in that show that called it like it is was Switzer and the paper guy. A whole lot of hog wash from Mullin, I'm almost offended. When he sais "the same fans that understood the Eakin trade and looked into the future and thought it was a good thing are now turning and saying it was a bad thing". Whatever Mullin. I am a fan who supported that trade and I was told by the coach that we are still planning on our vets leading us into the playoffs. So what happened? Mullin agrees with Lamb and sais injuries played a big part in this failure, don't all teams battle adversity?
When you say "these injuries are a fluke thing" i agree to a certain degree, but why so many...maybe we are soft.
If Lamb sais we are "a long way from being Brandon of last year and Saskatoon of this year" then why didn't do a complete re-build instead of half assin it? And telling us fans that we are goin to the playoffs and now tell us we are goin thru a re-build. BUT WE NEVER SEE THE YOUNG GUYS PLAY!!
Lamb and Mullin agree that throwing out the young guys in all situations "might not be a good idea" and I agree somewhat but actually that is the role of the coaches to teach.
Lamb throws Friesen under the bus CONSTANTLY and yes there have been nights where it has not been good, but as a coach you need to find a way to get that player motivated.
I know Mullin has a job to do but that was sugar coating at it's finest. Thanks to Ryan and the paper guy for a least calling a spade a spade. And somewhat to you to Shawn for reigniting a fire that I've been trying to put out.
I know you have to be positive, but this episode was a little to much b.s. from you for my liking. Hope I don't discourage the Bronco Show it is interesting to listen too and I appreciate the work, and you do a good pbp job. But I am allowed to have an opinion and there it is.

Quarter Century Fan
03-04-2011, 05:28 PM
I agree that injuries have plagued this team big time this season!! However when you build a small team and have no enforcers every other team will take liberties when they play against you. The visiting teams even come into our rink and establish themselves as the more physical presence which should not happen in your own rink.

I have no disagreement with having some smaller more skilled type players but they need someone on their line who can and is willing to drop the mitts at any time it is required. I believe you also need a legitimate heavyweight so that other teams keep looking over their shoulder when they are on the ice.

I don't think we ever did see the full potential out of players like Dowling this season for that reason.

My thoughts

jersey
03-04-2011, 05:56 PM
i agree fully with truckers comments. with the latest pod cast i felt that mullen actually helped lamb steer out havinng to provdie accountable answers. i really like the podcast approach, but for some reason it does nothing more than provide spin to a brutal year for the broncos. shawn needs to at least ask some tough questions, not steer an answer for lamb, and probe just a little bit more to make the podcast a more worth while for the fans.

gobroncos1986
03-04-2011, 11:54 PM
i started this thread so i agree with you guys except i do think listening to the show that someone had to argue the other two guys right? not very exciting to listen to if it's three people all agreeing. i think mullin is too positive but i don't agree with the paper guy that they should be playing their youngest guys against the other team's best players all of a sudden. that would be stupid they'd get torched and wouldn't that really destroy the kids? just but let them play against the other third and fourth lines! i just want one of them to admit the talent level isn't good enough. i don't know whose fault that is but come on there are not enough good players on this team!!! injuries hurt sure but just not enough talent!!! will any of the 18 19 or 20 year old kids ever make it to the show?? maybe dowling that's the only one who i could see at all. what other team has no 18 19 or 20 year olds who have a shot at pros?

shawnmullin
03-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Hey guys just for the record I'm glad to receive any feedback you have and am willing to talk to anyone about it. Best way to do that though is to contact me by e-mail because conversations in public settings like this so often get picked apart. I know this week I already got an e-mail from one person saying that a large section of fans they know is upset at me for being too hard on the players and not enough of a cheerleader. It's hard to please people when the team is struggling. That balance is not always easy to find.

In any event please feel free to e-mail me at shawn.mullin@goldenwestradio.com or smullin@gmail.com -- if you prefer give me a call during work hours at 773-NEWS or stop me at the rink. I'm happy to talk hockey or the broadcast with anyone at anytime.

I know some of you really want me to fire away and rip the team. I appreciate the frustration because I'm a fan and I've been a fan my whole life. Believe me there are times I'm cursing the broadcasters for the teams I follow or the teams or the players or coaches on my favourite NHL team. That's being a fan. As a broadcaster I call the action on the ice as I see it including when guys make mistakes. I like to think I'm fair there. However, I'm not going to launch into an attack against players or coaches on the blog or during a podcast. I'll ask questions about things that did or didn't work, but I'm not going to come after anyone at a personal level or straight up insult someone. At least I try to avoid that.

As for the podcast... balance was certainly a part of it as gobroncos said. Switz and Jaster had their opinions and I tried to provide counter points. The other part is that I don't agree with the tough guy argument or the ice time argument. That hasn't stopped me from asking Mark about both of those things at least a few times already this season because I know they're questions a lot of you want answered. Those issues in particular have come up several times in our interviews.

But if you disagree with me on the podcast that's cool. Switzer and I argue about that one all the time and I have a ton of respect for him. We enjoy the debate. If you think the other two guys are right and I'm an idiot that's OK. It's a discussion and if it got you talking or thinking or listening that was the point right? I learned a long time ago people are going to disagree with me a lot and I'm cool with that as long as we're talking about the issues and not the person.

I think on the podcast we're asking the same questions you guys are asking. You might not agree with what I say about it but I'm certainly not avoiding the topic or trying to sweep the concept under the rug. The other guys had their say and you guys can have your say here or comment on my blog or send a question in for the Q even.

As for the interview with Mark... I never intended for that discussion to go on so long. Usually we just do a basic recap of the week. Instead it just turned into two guys talking hockey and the conversation evolved. I didn't really approach it like a hard hitting interview obviously. We were just having a discussion. If you feel I was handing Mark easy answers... Mark doesn't need me to answer anything for him. Regardless of how you feel about him as a coach I think we can all agree he knows more about the game than I do.

I agree there are tough questions to ask. In particular there are questions to ask about the direction of the franchise as a whole and how it got to this point this year. I also think those questions make more sense to ask as a part of a post-mortem on the season rather than as part of a weekly summary. I also think if you listen to the talk with Mark this week that you could see he was hinting that he's going to discuss those bigger picture issues at that point.

Right now they're still focusing on going game by game and trying to close out the season in the best way possible despite the banged up roster.

If you have questions you want answered that you don't feel we're asking please feel free to pass them along. I'm happy as I said to hear and answer to any feedback you have. These broadcasts and the podcast is ultimately for your benefit. That's why my job exists. They'll evolve as I continue to settle in here in this city and in this league. I'm happy to hear anything you have to say about them.

Again my e-mail is smullin@gmail.com or shawn.mullin@goldenwestradio.com -- you can comment on the blog or you can phone me at work. Anytime.

trucker
03-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Not really sure how to respond to that. I think we all agree, you are a good pbp guy Shawn. I listen whenever I can't make it to the game and I don't think you've been too hard on any one...just calling the game as it is. I understand what your saying and I understand your job somewhat and it probably can be difficult at times especially when the team goes through losing like this. I didn't pick up on Lamb hinting at anything in the interview but I sure hope a review of this team from top to bottom happens. No matter how negative this season has become...nobody in Swift Current wants to lose this team! I don't want you to feel picked on here, but there are huge concerns from the fans with this team and we just want answers. So hopefully we will get them in the off season.
I am fine with the Eakin trade too by the way, but I am not fine with only 5 wins since Christmas. Junior hockey has always worked in cycles...a weaker year followed by a really strong year a few years later, and we havn't had a strong year here in years. I don't see next year as being a whole lot better either, and that has to be addressed by this board.
Thanks for all you do Mullin even though we stink hard here this year we are glad to have you!

shawnmullin
03-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Didn't feel picked on at all I just thought I'd explain my perspective. I understand what you're saying for sure. If I were a long time fan I'm sure I'd have the same concerns.

Have a good one!

FIVE FOR FIGHTING
03-05-2011, 04:31 PM
I finally listened to the podcast. Thats 70 minutes of my life I'll never get back (just kidding). I also feel that Mullin led Lamb for the easy answers, but there was a few comments I found interesting. Lamb stated that the team wasn't really all that good even when Eakin was on the team. For the record I support the trade. He also stated the difference from the beginning of the season to the last few months was goaltending. Again I agree with that statement. Friesen's great play early in the season disguised the glaring weakness in the talent level of this team. I think it is totally unfair for Lamb to be throwing Friesen under the bus for all the losses. If I was coach and unhappy with the play of my goalie I would try someone else. I think Friesen played over his head early and now is playing at his regular level. On goaltending lamb made his bed and now has to lie in it. He traded for Friesen last year and sent Clarke packing. He was obviously unhappy with both Friesen and Smith or he would not have traded for Tendler. Perhaps Friesen is both physically and mentally worn out from having to carry the team on his shoulders.
If he felt the team wasn't very good even with Eakin why wasn't more done to rebuild the team this season. He used Edmonton as an example of a team that used young players last year and got slaughtered but are still young this year and have greatly improved. Then he turns around and says he doesn't want to play our young players because they aren't ready for it. It might be a major blow to their confidence. It seems like he is speaking out both sides of his mouth.
I have a lot more to say but think I will leave it at that for now and see what anyone thinks of these comments.

trucker
03-05-2011, 07:23 PM
I finally listened to the podcast. Thats 70 minutes of my life I'll never get back (just kidding). I also feel that Mullin led Lamb for the easy answers, but there was a few comments I found interesting. Lamb stated that the team wasn't really all that good even when Eakin was on the team. For the record I support the trade. He also stated the difference from the beginning of the season to the last few months was goaltending. Again I agree with that statement. Friesen's great play early in the season disguised the glaring weakness in the talent level of this team. I think it is totally unfair for Lamb to be throwing Friesen under the bus for all the losses. If I was coach and unhappy with the play of my goalie I would try someone else. I think Friesen played over his head early and now is playing at his regular level. On goaltending lamb made his bed and now has to lie in it. He traded for Friesen last year and sent Clarke packing. He was obviously unhappy with both Friesen and Smith or he would not have traded for Tendler. Perhaps Friesen is both physically and mentally worn out from having to carry the team on his shoulders.
If he felt the team wasn't very good even with Eakin why wasn't more done to rebuild the team this season. He used Edmonton as an example of a team that used young players last year and got slaughtered but are still young this year and have greatly improved. Then he turns around and says he doesn't want to play our young players because they aren't ready for it. It might be a major blow to their confidence. It seems like he is speaking out both sides of his mouth.
I have a lot more to say but think I will leave it at that for now and see what anyone thinks of these comments.

I completely agree! That interview raised my eyebrows as well...why wasn't more done for the future? I'm scared of next year!!:confused:

transplantedbronco
03-05-2011, 09:43 PM
I think everyone know how I feel about the coaching but this has to be said. Freisen is a great goalie and if Lamb and some fans want to put the blame on him ok fine but this is a staggerin stat. With tonights game in Calgary Freisen has now started in 62 of 66 games. That my friends is ridiculous and pure insanity. He is mentally done and he just keeps getting thrown in. Freaking stupid to have a goalie in that many games.

Toswammi
03-05-2011, 10:16 PM
I think everyone know how I feel about the coaching but this has to be said. Freisen is a great goalie and if Lamb and some fans want to put the blame on him ok fine but this is a staggerin stat. With tonights game in Calgary Freisen has now started in 62 of 66 games. That my friends is ridiculous and pure insanity. He is mentally done and he just keeps getting thrown in. Freaking stupid to have a goalie in that many games.

Yeah the kid has the desire but is mentally and physically worn out

Wrangler
03-07-2011, 04:51 PM
I've been saying this all season, the team, has depth the coaching staff just don't see it. Maybe if they remove their rose colored glasse and take a look pass "Lambs Dozen" they could make their own depth. Don't kill the top 10-12 players in the first 30-40 mints & then have nothing to fall back on, play all the players in the mix, play all 4 lines but mix them up rookies with the older players, make a team of 20 players not just 12 & have the others on the beanch for most of the game. 4-5-6 shifts a game does nothing for a young players development. Other teams do it & get results why not the Broncos. Shaun why not put this question to Lamb at your next interview. :clap::clap:

jersey
03-07-2011, 06:27 PM
that has been the point made!! i totally agree...but the spin we always here is that you can't play the fourth line against an oponents fist line (DUH)!!!!. no one i their right mind would ever recommend that. i heard the regina pats recently beat brandon and the coaching staff said it took four full lines to accomplish the task. why doesn't the swift current broncos get it????