PDA

View Full Version : a few problems

wango tango
02-24-2011, 01:55 PM
a little worried about a few things with just over three weeks left in the regular season.

of the top four in the eastern conference. saskatoon, red deer, kootenay, and medicine hat, the blades have the highest goals against. poor defensive zone play, poor overall team defense, and an awful penalty kill.

the blades goaltending that has been a strength of the team, has of late been less than excellent. i'm thinking with morrison's injury, and stanford having to carry the whole load he got a little burned out.

the trask, hamilton, and schenn line is as good as any in the whole whl. they're dominant and are going to get extra special attention in the playoffs. there are guys on the blades second and third lines who are not stepping up and taking advantage of not seeing the other teams top checking group.

total effort for a full game. they've shown a trend to step off the gas and get themselves into trouble, by not skating, taking bad penalties in the process and letting teams back into games.

all these are very fixable. and complaining about these things on a blades team that is first in the whl is a bit like nit picking about the color of a ferrari, it's still a ferrari for gosh sakes!

SectionNDeserter
02-24-2011, 02:06 PM
and an awful penalty kill.Wouldn't worry too much about this in the playoffs--special teams are almost a non-factor then.

twentyone
02-24-2011, 03:49 PM
I don't know how you can say other lines aren't stepping up?

Viedensky Nicholls and Collins have played pretty well if you ask me and haven't missed a beat.

Yes defensive zone has been sloppy but really you don't score 7 goals a game because you are a great defensive team. Schenn in the lineup changed the whole dynamics of this team. This team has shown they play a good defensive game but are riding a great offense right now and wanting to pad stats.

I think we all have to realize that this team has clinched a playoff spot 3 weeks ago and have had no worse than a 5 point conference lead (w/ 2 games in hand) since christmas. I would be more worried if they weren't putting the puck in the net. Yes they want to finish first but every very other team are playing for much more right now, like a playoff birth ala brandon, PA, Edmonton or division title ala Medicine Hat, Red deer, kootney

As much as fans don't like to beleive this and that players should be like machines and play every game like its game 7 of the playoffs, in reality it doesn't happen. Come playoff time this team will buckle down and have one goal in mind.

hotdog-pocket
02-24-2011, 04:15 PM
How is the 6th best PK in the league considered "awful".

Let alone being top 5 in the league on home ice.

And it's only been that "low" for the last 3-4 games where I agree, it has been bad.

But before that it was ranked in the top 3 pretty much ALL SEASON.

wango tango
02-24-2011, 09:42 PM
players should be like machines and play every game like its game 7 of the playoffs, in reality it doesn't happen. Come playoff time this team will buckle down and have one goal in mind.

agreed. i think many fans forget these are still kids. and because they are kids there can be a lot of ups and downs.

are you suggesting the blades are looking to the playoffs already? i heard a few guys on coffee row saying they wouldn't be surprised if some players started to coast from now to the end of the year.

wango tango
02-24-2011, 09:53 PM
How is the 6th best PK in the league considered "awful".

Let alone being top 5 in the league on home ice.

And it's only been that "low" for the last 3-4 games where I agree, it has been bad.

But before that it was ranked in the top 3 pretty much ALL SEASON.

i don't think the penalty kill has been bad all season, lately it, along with some of the other less exciting, but no less important, parts of the game have slid. don't take my word for it. the coaches have said as much in the post game, and the players in the paper. that's probably because of a few things. nothing that can't be adjusted.

i think it was twentyone who posted with schenn the teams dynamic has changed and i think that's accurate. it is definitely more explosive and dangerous offensively. very important.

like i said before it's like focusing on the color of a ferrari, and forgetting it's still a ferrari.

lordstanley
02-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Ahh crap no benson and viedensky again tonight very very thin for centers after schenn

lordstanley
02-25-2011, 09:26 PM
You know what great comeback for Brandon i don't feel sorry for the Blades at all they quit after a 3 goal lead like they normaly do it was a sad sad piss poor effort after the first period, wake the hell up Blades i dont wanna play brandon in the first round cause i think they could beat us :mad:

Trav
02-25-2011, 09:37 PM
K this is so stupid, when will Molleken stop with the defense first strategy, it doesnt friggin work in hockey anymore. U stay aggressive the whole flippin game.

lordstanley
02-25-2011, 09:39 PM
K this is so stupid, when will Molleken stop with the defense first strategy, it doesnt friggin work in hockey anymore. U stay aggressive the whole flippin game.

Yup they completly stopped skating after it was 4-1 it was a sad state of affairs full credit to brandon they never quit but come on that was pathetic

lordstanley
02-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Now we gotta hope for a RD loss tonight then we can atleast call tonight a washout

Joe Hallenback
02-25-2011, 09:51 PM
KM Loves run and gun hockey and if you back off on his teams they will put the boot to you.

You are right don't play passive hockey against the Wheaties. I don't know if any team is going to want to face them that opening round. That offense and if one of those goalies gets hot...

Trav
02-25-2011, 10:05 PM
I prefer the run and gun style, offense first defense second, the other team can't score if u have the puck all the time

lordstanley
02-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Well Red Deer lost at home vs Kelowna tonight so that helps us a bit still 5 points up with 2 in hand makes tonights loss not sting quit as bad

sbtatter
02-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Well Red Deer lost at home vs Kelowna tonight so that helps us a bit still 5 points up with 2 in hand makes tonights loss not sting quit as bad

How many games have you lost at home this season?

lordstanley
02-25-2011, 11:05 PM
How many games have you lost at home this season?

Home record is now 27-3-1

lordstanley
02-26-2011, 06:40 PM
No Viedensky and Benson again tonight 2 out of the top 3 centers out again it is starting take a toll on the team with PK etc

sbtatter
02-26-2011, 06:59 PM
No Viedensky and Benson again tonight 2 out of the top 3 centers out again it is starting take a toll on the team with PK etc

At least they"ll be healthy for the playoffs though

lordstanley
02-26-2011, 07:35 PM
At least they"ll be healthy for the playoffs though

True