PDA

View Full Version : So Uhhhhh....

Allin44
02-26-2011, 10:36 PM
9-2 in February

55 goals for in the last 8 games

Is this team for real? Can they continue the run and gun, or are we going to get a hot goalie?

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY DID WE TRADE SCHENN!!!!(kidding)

WHEATMAN
02-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Pretty amazing stretch the team is having here... just a shame that our goaltending is weak. Absolutely BRUTAL save percentage, must be around .850 the past 10 games?

To be honest though, I don't think a first round upset is out of the question the way this club is playing.

Its a shame De Serres didn't stick around. :)

Allin44
02-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Pretty amazing stretch the team is having here... just a shame that our goaltending is weak. Absolutely BRUTAL save percentage, must be around .850 the past 10 games?

To be honest though, I don't think a first round upset is out of the question the way this club is playing.

Its a shame De Serres didn't stick around. :)

Lol, a year ago everybody couldn't wait to run him and Hayes out of town.

both goalies look like they lack confidence.

WHEATMAN
02-26-2011, 10:50 PM
both goalies look like they lack confidence.

They sure do. I think Kelly overplayed Liston too much earlier in the year and he burnt out a bit and has been unable to get his swagger back. Hell, after 10-15 games I think he had a save percentage of around .905- that shows how much his play has fallen off.

To be honest, I think Kelly needs to get a different goalie coach.

sbtatter
02-26-2011, 10:55 PM
They sure do. I think Kelly overplayed Liston too much earlier in the year and he burnt out a bit and has been unable to get his swagger back. Hell, after 10-15 games I think he had a save percentage of around .905- that shows how much his play has fallen off.

To be honest, I think Kelly needs to get a different goalie coach.

I think we need a full time goalie coach when we have 2 rookie tenders....

Joe Hallenback
02-26-2011, 10:56 PM
This was and is a rebuilding year. Just be happy that KM can put together a team this good when everyone said we would be bad this year. Guesss what? We are not. We are better then Regina and we dealt our superstar for a TON of prospects/picks.

We are going to have Stone,Ferland and Walker back next year. Pulock,Roy,Fransoo,Hunter,Galbraith,Seaman,Swriypa ,Meiuller,Liston and Boes will have a year under there belt. McGauley,Nikkel,Harms,Conroy,Proft,Nelson, Kuzcek, and Waltz will all be here next year.

Go down to the rink and kiss KM's ass.

Johnny Table
02-26-2011, 10:56 PM
9-2 in February

55 goals for in the last 8 games

Is this team for real? Can they continue the run and gun, or are we going to get a hot goalie?

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY DID WE TRADE SCHENN!!!!(kidding)

I think the reason they are playing so well is because of the Schenn trade. I think there thinking was well lets wait and see if he comes back and he can lead us. I am not suprised they are winning they have a good group but am shocked at how they are winning goals goals and more goals

Allin44
02-26-2011, 11:08 PM
also of note is the fact brandon has the fewest PIMs this year. When was the last time that happened?

Johnny Table
02-26-2011, 11:24 PM
also of note is the fact brandon has the fewest PIMs this year. When was the last time that happened?

If I remember correctly they are always a low pim team

scruffy1
02-26-2011, 11:59 PM
Not unusual to see the young guys step up late in the season. They are young but the talent is beginning to come out. Everybody points to the older guys when they win but the big wins come when the young guys step up,just like early in the season.
Meilleur won't be going back to Jr A as some suggested last week. He looked good against Stoon last night and again tonight. The 4th line looks much more confident in each other. Faverau is in tough to get back in unless somebody gets hurt.
Roy is really coming on.
This is going to be a tough team to crack for those young prospects.
Nothing better than watching young kids develop. Thats why we love Jr hockey.

sbtatter
02-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Not unusual to see the young guys step up late in the season. They are young but the talent is beginning to come out. Everybody points to the older guys when they win but the big wins come when the young guys step up,just like early in the season.
Meilleur won't be going back to Jr A as some suggested last week. He looked good against Stoon last night and again tonight. The 4th line looks much more confident in each other. Faverau is in tough to get back in unless somebody gets hurt.
Roy is really coming on.
This is going to be a tough team to crack for those young prospects.
Nothing better than watching young kids develop. Thats why we love Jr hockey.

Seaman, Fransoo and Meuiller have really had strong 2011's. Roy has amazing vision and puck moving skills for such a young d-man, he has so much potential it's scary!! Nice to see Hunter get some recognition tonight.

twentyone
02-27-2011, 10:08 PM
I think this team is definetly for real. I dont think they are true contending team as they might lack a little depth and goaltending but they are defintely good enough to possibly make a run deep into the playoffs. And that can be huge for a rebuilding team.

Stone has impressed me, and Weibe is playing well. I have only seen them play against the Blades and i am sure they are getting up extra hard for those games but they are a hard working team that dont give up. The other night against the Blades looked like they done but they just didnt go away and came out with the win. Not taking anything away from them the Blades defensive game was none existence and Stanford was terrible but cudos to Brandon for not packing it in when down 4-1 and 5-2.

Anyway here is to hoping they face red deer or kootney in the playoffs and take either team out. could have a rematch Blades vs Brandon second round.

On a side note thank you thank you thank you for Schenn. Wow this guy brings it night after night. 40 points in 18 games. Well worth what Blades gave up.

Allin44
02-27-2011, 11:33 PM
I think this team is definetly for real. I dont think they are true contending team as they might lack a little depth and goaltending but they are defintely good enough to possibly make a run deep into the playoffs. And that can be huge for a rebuilding team.

Stone has impressed me, and Weibe is playing well. I have only seen them play against the Blades and i am sure they are getting up extra hard for those games but they are a hard working team that dont give up. The other night against the Blades looked like they done but they just didnt go away and came out with the win. Not taking anything away from them the Blades defensive game was none existence and Stanford was terrible but cudos to Brandon for not packing it in when down 4-1 and 5-2.

Anyway here is to hoping they face red deer or kootney in the playoffs and take either team out. could have a rematch Blades vs Brandon second round.

On a side note thank you thank you thank you for Schenn. Wow this guy brings it night after night. 40 points in 18 games. Well worth what Blades gave up.

Looks like it will be a good trade for both teams.

Allin44
03-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Holy smokes!

Good game tonight. The Swyripa line got penned into the zone a few times and made some bad decisons with the puck, but thats going to happen.

The young defense played really well, I thought Brodie had a hell of a game too.

Props to Boes, hopefully Kelly gives him a chance to run now.

Joe Hallenback
03-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Great game by the Wheaties. They really played solid Defensive hockey and finally got some chances when the Ice tried to open up and they made them pay.

Didn't know Eakin was even playing till Ferland gave him the whats up in the 3rd lol

Joe Hallenback
03-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Do you think Pulock is as good as Redden was as a 16 year old? Roy played good made one really bad pass in the 3rd but Boes bailed him out. Galbraith has really come along as well, solid bottom 6 guy and has that edge to him. Hunter quietly solid game. Fransoo was a tower I though tonight really elevating his game this 2nd half. Melnychuk kept it simple and scored a great goal he is so effective when he plays like this.

The best part is they all will be back next year. How fantastic is that?

WHEATMAN
03-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Holy smokes!

Good game tonight. The Swyripa line got penned into the zone a few times and made some bad decisons with the puck, but thats going to happen.

The young defense played really well, I thought Brodie had a hell of a game too.

Props to Boes, hopefully Kelly gives him a chance to run now.

Yep, tonight was a solid effort all around, no weak link tonight. I really can't believe that we got a 4th and MacKay for Bestland. 18 game point streak for MacKay now...

Just gotta hope that Edmonton loses to Saskatoon tonight, then the boys are 1 point back of the sixth seed. Who would have thought that this team could potentially end up with the sixth seed back in January? Crazy stuff.

Allin44
03-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Do you think Pulock is as good as Redden was as a 16 year old? Roy played good made one really bad pass in the 3rd but Boes bailed him out. Galbraith has really come along as well, solid bottom 6 guy and has that edge to him. Hunter quietly solid game. Fransoo was a tower I though tonight really elevating his game this 2nd half. Melnychuk kept it simple and scored a great goal he is so effective when he plays like this.

The best part is they all will be back next year. How fantastic is that?

I would have been about 8 when Redden was 16 so I'll reserve my judgement. He looks to me to be superior to Robak as a 16 year old, hopefully he keeps progressing, if he does he'll be a first round NHL draft pick, no doubt about it.

Its crazy. Our scoring won't be as high next year(likely) as we lose Wiebe, Glennie, Toews, MacKay, but our D looks to be locked up. And with 7 dmen(Melny, Roy, Fransoo, Miller, Pulock, Hunter, Galbraith) they may be in a position to make a trade to bring in a solid top 6 forward.

Johnny Table
03-02-2011, 10:29 PM
I thought the 4th line played great matched up against the Antilla,King,Boomer line

JMoney1988
03-02-2011, 10:32 PM
There you guys go, we helped you guys out a little, hope that helps...

chalk_one_up
03-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Why did Brandon get rid of the train horn? I loved that thing.

WHEATMAN
03-03-2011, 11:06 AM

I was thinking that too; ever since I can remember they had the train horn. I hope they bring it back.

Boltz9
03-03-2011, 02:35 PM
I was thinking that too; ever since I can remember they had the train horn. I hope they bring it back.

I'm up in the booth sometimes doing stats, and I think they changed it couple games ago. I'll make sure I mention next time that some people miss it.

RDRebelsfan
03-03-2011, 03:43 PM

I'm just going to take a stab in the dark here. Watching the highlights of the game vs. KTN they're using a generic record horn. My guess is, is that the train horn they used is getting repaired or was no longer working.

Edit: watching the highlight video vs. Regina. In the 9-3 game, seems like they got the radio and the in house speakers going on the highlight video. The train horn goes off on the first few goals, then doesn't after. My guess is that the train horn malfunctioned.

chalk_one_up
03-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Some call for mo cowbell, I call for mo train horn :bounce:

Joe Hallenback
03-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Lets whup some Pat butt tonight

chalk_one_up
03-05-2011, 12:29 AM
How was Ayrton Nikkel tonight?

sbtatter
03-05-2011, 12:35 AM
How was Roy's first fight? what caused it?

jayson
03-05-2011, 07:42 AM
he was ok, hes physical and gonna be a force when hes 18 guaranteed, as far as roy fighting it was because of a questionable hit on Nikkel, and it was a very lame fight.

sbtatter
03-05-2011, 10:23 AM
he was ok, hes physical and gonna be a force when hes 18 guaranteed, as far as roy fighting it was because of a questionable hit on Nikkel, and it was a very lame fight.

Well, I guess it's good he stood up for Nikkel....

chalk_one_up
03-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Well, I guess it's good he stood up for Nikkel....

Despite how he fared in the fight, it shows that he has leadership abilities to stick up for those younger than him. Eric just oozes excellence.

Joe Hallenback
03-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Another solid game by the Wheaties last night. Really took it to the Pats for the most part and if Hewitt wasn't fairly solid this game could have been over very quick.

I though Nikkel really settled down after that first. He oozes confidence with the puck and that is something you cannot teach. He moves the puck well and makes smart decisions. For being only 15 he was very strong when he went up against opposing forwards. I can't see him not making this team next year. Hit the gym this Summer Ayrton and come back stronger

I really liked Roy standing up for Nikkel. The guy is just 16 himself and still learning the game. It shows alot that he is willing to do that.

Overall as good as the forwards have been the D has been the ones that have made us capable of going on this run. Every one of them has elevated their individual game. Fransoo is asserting himself physically, Hunter has quietly become very dependable,Galbraith is a better version of Bestland, Pulock is about as good a rookie D we have had in along time, Roy has all kinds of talent and is putting it together, Miller was starting to add some offense to his hard rock style and for me Melnychuk has looked absolutely fantastic since coming back from injury.

All these guys are back next year. Think about that. Couple that with Stone,Ferland,Walker and we have the start of a very good team. A team that could challenge.

If the Pats are ****ty next year wonder what it would take to get Weal out of them because he is just fantastic. Take him out of the lineup last night and it is probably a 6-1 or 6-0 game.

Weal for 2012 1st,Rene Hunter,Tanner Jago,Brendan Harms?

Allin44
03-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Another solid game by the Wheaties last night. Really took it to the Pats for the most part and if Hewitt wasn't fairly solid this game could have been over very quick.

I though Nikkel really settled down after that first. He oozes confidence with the puck and that is something you cannot teach. He moves the puck well and makes smart decisions. For being only 15 he was very strong when he went up against opposing forwards. I can't see him not making this team next year. Hit the gym this Summer Ayrton and come back stronger

I really liked Roy standing up for Nikkel. The guy is just 16 himself and still learning the game. It shows alot that he is willing to do that.

Overall as good as the forwards have been the D has been the ones that have made us capable of going on this run. Every one of them has elevated their individual game. Fransoo is asserting himself physically, Hunter has quietly become very dependable,Galbraith is a better version of Bestland, Pulock is about as good a rookie D we have had in along time, Roy has all kinds of talent and is putting it together, Miller was starting to add some offense to his hard rock style and for me Melnychuk has looked absolutely fantastic since coming back from injury.

All these guys are back next year. Think about that. Couple that with Stone,Ferland,Walker and we have the start of a very good team. A team that could challenge.

If the Pats are ****ty next year wonder what it would take to get Weal out of them because he is just fantastic. Take him out of the lineup last night and it is probably a 6-1 or 6-0 game.

Nope, Regina will want to make the playoffs and keep him.

Looking forward to watching the game tonight

Bladenator
03-05-2011, 06:48 PM

I enjoy reading these blogs and don't comment much. I agree it was great to see Roy, a 16 year old, step in without hesitation! I saw Nikkel here in Toon and am quite sure he would return the favor! WK's are going to love that kid. Joe I read that "warrior Plug's" response to you on another page. what a clown.:clown:

Joe Hallenback
03-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Disappointing game in Regina on Saturday. They didn't look the same quality as they have been lately and Regina really came to play. Saying that we still kept ourselves in the game and had a chance to win it.

Boes needed to be better tonight. I felt in let in 2 softies and it cost us.

Pulock/Melynchuk had a bad night more so Pulock then Meylnychuk. But the kid is just 16 and sometimes I forget that and expect him to be better every single shift.

I felt some of the Brandon vets had poor games. Wiebe was kinda bleh. So was Toews. Mackay wasn't that great. I thought Glennie and Stone were really solid. The 4th line I felt had a really effective game but just couldn't finish.

I think it was time we lost to the Pats as we have been beating up on them for some time now. Kudos to the Pats for winning and playing hard

chalk_one_up
03-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Good to see the train horn back and working. Made the 14 hour trip friday to Brandon to catch the game against Saskatoon and against P.A. last night, and wasn't disappointed with either game. Free breakfast too for Saturday's result.

sbtatter
03-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Was it just me or did the Raiders look lethargic and never competed at all?

Johnny Table
03-13-2011, 02:01 PM

You must have homer glasses or left at the 2nd period broadcast break

Trevor
03-13-2011, 02:15 PM

For half the game yeah. I thought they looked good for the back half of the 1st period, and the 3rd.

Boltz9
03-13-2011, 04:23 PM

I'd agree, they definitely didn't look like a team battling for their playoff lives. They turned the puck over like no ones business, but the Wheaties have been good at creating turnovers.

lordstanley
03-13-2011, 04:53 PM
I find it funny how the Wheaties have been on the PK 3 times total in the last 3 games don't see that to often KM putting out the big bucks ? lol j/k

jayson
03-13-2011, 05:19 PM
I find it funny how the Wheaties have been on the PK 3 times total in the last 3 games don't see that to often KM putting out the big bucks ? lol j/k

Ive seen many games where we havent been on the pk at all. Here in brandon we follow the rules lol jk

wheatiesfan
03-13-2011, 10:11 PM

when we beat down your Blades in the 2nd round of the playoffs. lol:groovy:

lordstanley
03-13-2011, 10:16 PM
[QUOTE=wheatiesfan;164521]when we beat down your Blades in the 2nd round of the playoffs. lol:groovy:[/QUOT

The you woke up lol

And nope i aint blaming it on Penalties in fact i think we could have had even more calls so the reffing was fine, all i'm saying is you don't normally see a game with 1 team getting none lol

sbtatter
03-14-2011, 04:54 AM
You must have homer glasses or left at the 2nd period broadcast break

Looked like to me the WK's coasted in the 3rd with the game wrapped up more than the Raiders turned it up. It just seemed to me to be the weakest effort from a visiting team since Swifty were in town.

chalk_one_up
03-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Really? Matt Dumba over Ryan Pulock for Eastern Conference Rookie of the Year? Yeah, that Conference wasn't pure pro Red Deer at all

SectionNDeserter
03-24-2011, 02:20 PM
I actually had Pulock in 3rd, behind Shinkaruk and Dumba. Dumba had almost twice as many goals as Pulock (an extraordinarily high number for a 16 year old), he is a huge open-ice hitter, and didn't back down from anyone that wanted to fight him.

Pulock has a lot of assists--but he is downy soft.

WHEATMAN
03-24-2011, 02:50 PM
I actually had Pulock in 3rd, behind Shinkaruk and Dumba. Dumba had almost twice as many goals as Pulock (an extraordinarily high number for a 16 year old), he is a huge open-ice hitter, and didn't back down from anyone that wanted to fight him.

Pulock has a lot of assists--but he is downy soft.

He's not soft, he's smart. The way I see it, Dumba is like Phaneuf; always looking for the big hit and sometimes getting burnt for it.

Pulock, on the other hand, plays the game like Wade Redden did. He NEVER gets caught out of position and always makes smart plays with the puck (not to mention only recorded four penalty minutes when he routinely played thirty minutes a game). Hard to criticise his shot and puck distribution skills too, they're top notch.

To be honest, I wouldn't trade Pulock for two Dumba's. I'd even be hesitant to trade Eric Roy for Dumba.

With that being said, they're all quality players.

sbtatter
03-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Pulock had an amazing year as a 16 year old playing to the top d-man pairing. in fact, he did his job with such little fuss it put him at a disadvantage in the ROTY voting. I still maintain that Roy will be the top dub d-man out in this draft year, only time will tell i guess!

Boltz9
03-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Pulock got screwed in my mind. Lets compare their years.

GP G A PTS +/- PIM

Mathew Dumba 62 15 11 26 +24 83

Ryan Pulock 63 8 34 42 +2 4

Dumba has the edge on goals, and a large edge in +/-, but he was also playing on the second best team in the conference, and did it against the other teams 3rd and 4th lines.

Pulock almost doubles Dumba when it comes to points and breaks Wade Redden's record for points by a defenceman as a 16 year old. He also only takes two minor penalties, and does it while playing on Brandon's 1st D pairing and playing against other teams top players.

He should have got the nod, but how he didn't get Brandon's award for best defenceman blows my mind.