PDA

View Full Version : Giants 5 Americans 0

dondo
02-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Giants Thump The Ams
Vancouver 5 Tri-City 0

Segal gets a shut-out after getting some rest yesterday, as Jensen took the reins in Chilliwack. The Americans have had the Giants number all season and this game must have felt fantastic to them. Sadly I wasn’t able to see or listen to this one so I only have the box score to go by. I would have loved to see this game unfold. It helped not having to face Drew Owsley who has turned aside more Giants shots than I can count this season. I don’t know if Owsley is injured or elsewhere, but not having him between the pipes must have been a relief for the boys. I really wish I knew more about this game and if Segal just was not really challenged or had to step up his game and turn away those 23 shots in a spectacular manner, considering his nod for second star I suspect more the latter.

It looks like the Americans dominated the first period, but Segal held them in there, turning away 12 shots while the Giants managed a paltry 4. The Giants bounced back in the second scoring one when Gallagher notched his 42nd of the season, off of Jordan Martinook and Andrej Stastny. That was the only scoring in the period. I can say that if I was watching this game live I would have been biting my freaking fingers off by this point. Up 1-0 going into the third versus the Americans, a team which can dominate and score quickly and often with the Giants already being on the bad end of that offensive out-put a few times this season. In the third though the Giants took off, scoring 4 more unanswered tallies. Stastny started the rout at 1:05 with a goal off of Gallagher and Darren Bestland. James Henry scored one just 13 seconds later, off of Gallagher who has been on fire the past few games. Michael Burns scored a PP marker just before the mid-way mark of the final frame. Greg Lamoureux got yet another assist (he’s been piling them up the past few games as well) and Neil Manning garnered the other one. Gallagher finished off his four point night at 16:01, with a goal off of Martinook and Stastny.

The Giants out shot the Americans by a slim margin, 28-23. They went 1 for 4 on the PP, while holding the Ams to 0 for 5. This game could have gone either way, but it looks like Segal was difference, holding his team in there through a first period onslaught. Staying solid in the second when his team stepped it up and began to push back and held the fort despite minimal shots in the third, when the Giants found the twine repeatedly at the other end of the ice. For the Giants third game in three nights, getting this kind of result is not only remarkable, but also very impressive. By the penalties and kinds of calls, which were made, it appears to have been a chippy game, which is not usually the Americans M.O. as they tend to play a steady, speed game and then strike like a cobra on other team’s mistakes. Tonight it appears as if the Giants made few mistakes and despite being out shot in the first period, were better handling the puck and not making those poor giveaways, that have been far too frequent these days. Then again Segal could have stood on his head, turning away stellar chances. I expect if that was the case though he might have got a first star nod, even with Gallagher notching 4 points.

Three Stars

1. Brendan Gallagher
2. Mark Segal
3. Andrej Stastny

Swando
02-28-2011, 01:32 AM
Segal was full value for the 2nd star and Hay thought he should have been 1st star.
The ice was greatly sloped in favor of TC in period one as the Giants tried the trap but could not corral TC's speed. Case for Segal!! Henry hit a post in the 1st and we only had 2 offensive face offs in the TC end.

2nd period was much different. Gally beat a TC d man wide and cut across the goal mouth in his patented style to score #1. We then got a power play and seconds later TC dman fired a slap shot from his goal line that cleared the glass in the Giants end !!!!..... delay of game. TC withsood a barage of shots that did not make it through and killed the 5 on 3 and it looked like momentum was on TC's side. Giants however kept skating and outplayed TC in the 2nd

In the 3rd the rout was on. Quickly Stastny scored followed by a great goal by Henry. A flukey PP by Burns and late in the period with Gally in his office he notched his 42nd of the year.

Notes: Giants were without Rowinski with flu and were playing 3 in 3 nights but slept in their own beds.

TC was with out thier #1 goalie (may have been 3-0) and leading scorer Hughsmen.
Here is were I shake my head....TC played in Everett on Friday..bus to Spokane to play the Chiefs on Saturday night and then drive all night and get into Vancouver at 7 am for a 5 pm game.Sunday.. the scheduler should be shot.