PDA

View Full Version : Triston Grant Injury

Beaner
01-21-2005, 02:49 PM
According to the local papers, Triston has a Hip flexor Injury, just got off crutches yesterday, and is doubtful for tonights game.

Kassian
01-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Hopefully he isn't out long. The team isn't the same without him...

Beaner
01-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Time for some other players to step up, like the team did when Meszaros and Schwarz were away.

Kassian
01-21-2005, 07:54 PM
I agree. Lets hope they are able to do so. Might even be more difficult because they'll be on the road for a few games.

Hopefully these games aren't too physical. Without Grant we will be in some trouble if things get a little too rough...

Jovorock
01-23-2005, 09:10 AM
With Grant being injured, trading Kassian away doesn't look to good right now?

Beaner
01-23-2005, 12:07 PM

I disagree.

First off let me say I like Kassian, he was fun to watch and I loved it when he destroyed other guys.

There is no way he could step into Grants role, he just doesnt have the speed or the skill. Grant does so much more on the ice than just rearranging guys dental work.

Cunning brings us some grit, speed and some scoring. Cunning can play on any of the Giants lines, Kassian, is just to slow ( even though his skating has improved) to play with the top lines. I thought we should have got some draft picks for Kasian to make up for the age difference but, meh.

I think the trade was good for us, I just would have rather seen Kassian sent out of the west for someone like Cunning. Trading him in your own division seems, well, insane.

Kassian
01-23-2005, 09:28 PM

Agreed. Grant isn't as active as he used to be. He doesn't protect guys like Brule as well as Kassian did. Plus this is his last season in the WHL and next year the Giants will have nobody. Kassian will still be around the league for a few years playing for a division rival which is even worse.

The Giants claim they will find a replacement for Kassian next season, but you don't replace a guy like that. He is one of the best, if not the best scrapper in the entire league.

I understand why the team made the move. Getting a guy like Cunning makes them a lot more deep than they were with Kassian. Gives them a better shot at making a run for the Memorial Cup. But it isn't good for the team long term. And I don't think the Giants are good enough (or consistant enough, I should say) to go that deep in the playoffs anyway.

inthebox4five
01-26-2005, 01:39 PM
The point about the trade, for me, is that the Giants traded an 18 year old who is one of the most highly skilled at his roles in the WHL (and with 2 years of WHL playing time remaining) for someone who is almost finished his WHL career. Cunning may be a solid skater/scorer but there's not much time left in his career with the Giants. They traded the future of the team for the chance of an immediate memorial cup run. Was it a good move? Some think so. But I don't. I don't think what Cunning brings for the next 2 months will come anywhere near to making up for what the Giants traded away for the next 2 years. I think Kassian is a good skater, and good defensively - and he's only going to get better. It takes big guys longer to develop. There is no replacement for Kassian- and won't be for the next 2 years. Are the Giants going to go further with Cunning this year than they would have with Kassian? My answer to that is NO. Definitely not! And for that reason, it was a bad trade.

Kassian
01-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Good post. I totally agree.