PDA

View Full Version : Centrium/Rebels organization

Philz
03-02-2011, 09:36 AM
We have been season ticket holders since day 1, and i do enjoy going to the Rebels games as a hockey fan. The Rebels do absolutely nothing to drive their attendance up for non-hockey (Wives, GF etc) to come and watch good hockey. The PA announcer has got to go. Nothing like taking your job seriously while always walking the concourse during intermission trying to look like a knob. He has no enthusiasm and very boring to listen to. Joe is a great guy, but i feel we have seen and heard from him for so long it is time for a change. The jumbotron is great and all, but do we really need to see the same opening video for all 36 home games. When was the last time Cootzee played in a Rebels Uniform? Where is the Kiss cam, what is so wrong with not having that. The centrium is 20 years old now, maybe its time to replace the speaker system and have something that works. You would never want to go to a Rebels game hungry, besides the pizza it is absolutely garbage to what they sell you there. Paying $5.00 for a cardboard piece of over breaded meet is ridiculous. On a positive note the amazing board at the Westerner Park finally got rid of the "no re-entry" policy at the centrium. I am not a smoker but that was a little over kill on the westerner park's part. I am always so happy to see the Western Park staff in there lovely green jackets not doing their jobs. I love trying to watch the hockey games and seeing people walk up the isles during the play, i would hate to stop the green jacket parade from talking and not doing their job during the game. Thats my rant...Go Rebels Go

hockey4
03-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Were all frustrated with the recent losses. The players are the disappointment, not the organization. Little of what you said is relevant to the Rebels. I would say the Rebels do quite a bit to actually bring people in.

rdreb
03-02-2011, 12:50 PM
We do need a new sound system.
Get Joe to do the goals.and get someone new for the intermission show.
We should by this time off year have some new footage that they could use.
Why should we the paying puplic have to park at the end of all the parking lane,because all the green coats and the staff,who are paid have all the close ones.(not sure they have to pay for there pass)
I would also agree the food is over priced and just crap.Why not have the same idea as Tri- City or something like that at a good price.
We have the best ice cream in the league that i know as myself and a few others have been to every barn in the dub.
The re-entry is been a long time comming about time.
They need to get staff who work not visit,most of the time,and more staff so you do not have to miss half the period,that is the intermission also.

I could go on about the things that the (WESTENER) could do to inprove the atmosphere

RDRebelsfan
03-02-2011, 02:03 PM
We have been season ticket holders since day 1, and i do enjoy going to the Rebels games as a hockey fan. The Rebels do absolutely nothing to drive their attendance up for non-hockey (Wives, GF etc) to come and watch good hockey. The PA announcer has got to go. Nothing like taking your job seriously while always walking the concourse during intermission trying to look like a knob. He has no enthusiasm and very boring to listen to. Joe is a great guy, but i feel we have seen and heard from him for so long it is time for a change. The jumbotron is great and all, but do we really need to see the same opening video for all 36 home games. When was the last time Cootzee played in a Rebels Uniform? Where is the Kiss cam, what is so wrong with not having that. The centrium is 20 years old now, maybe its time to replace the speaker system and have something that works. You would never want to go to a Rebels game hungry, besides the pizza it is absolutely garbage to what they sell you there. Paying $5.00 for a cardboard piece of over breaded meet is ridiculous. On a positive note the amazing board at the Westerner Park finally got rid of the "no re-entry" policy at the centrium. I am not a smoker but that was a little over kill on the westerner park's part. I am always so happy to see the Western Park staff in there lovely green jackets not doing their jobs. I love trying to watch the hockey games and seeing people walk up the isles during the play, i would hate to stop the green jacket parade from talking and not doing their job during the game. Thats my rant...Go Rebels Go

What's wrong with the PA Announcer?

I happen to personally know Troy and he does a fantastic job, and actually does take his job seriously. So what if he's on the concourse during intermissions? It's the intermission! It's a break. He does his job well, and like any other PA announcer has enthusiasm for the home squad during intro and during goals. If you want a screamer/yeller PA announcer go down to Spokane.

It also takes lots of time to make a good video package. However I will slightly agree with you there. They could have changed it half way through the season. Most NHL teams don't use the same pre game video package throughout the season. So I'll give you that. I'll also add onto your rant that this years goal song, while "original" still sucks quite frankly. I know most people don't look into that stuff, but it's just not a fan friendly song everyone can get into. But whatever.

Rebels games are more of a family oriented event, while a "kiss cam" may be ok for entertainment, it doesn't fit the venue.

The speaker system could use upgrading, talking with the "PA Announcer" even he said he's been on them about doing something. Hell it seems we all got PA probs as we got that same problem at the old Bentley Arena.

I never get Pizza there, too pricy. About the only thing I get is an ice cream and even that is somewhat pricy, but oh well. Still good.

hockey4
03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Why should we the paying puplic have to park at the end of all the parking lane,because all the green coats and the staff,who are paid have all the close ones.(not sure they have to pay for there pass)
I would also agree the food is over priced and just crap.Why not have the same idea as Tri- City or something like that at a good price.
We have the best ice cream in the league that i know as myself and a few others have been to every barn in the dub.
They need to get staff who work not visit,most of the time,and more staff so you do not have to miss half the period,that is the intermission also.

I could go on about the things that the (WESTENER) could do to inprove the atmosphere

90% of what you mentioned is a Westerner Park thing, so those comments need to be under their heading, not the Rebels. I guess I understand the opening video thing, but i'm willing to just be happy that we have a fully utilized scoreboard. For the 30 seconds that it plays, and only half the building has arrived, i'm not sure it would be worth all the resources to change up a video.

SectionNDeserter
03-02-2011, 06:10 PM
The PA announcer has got to go. Nothing like taking your job seriously while always walking the concourse during intermission trying to look like a knob.?????

Sounds like you have some personal issue with him, more so than the job he is doing. Would you be happier if they handcuffed him to a radiator up there?

Joe is a great guy, but i feel we have seen and heard from him for so long it is time for a change.Sure, if there is some way you can upgrade, but if not, then why change for the sake of changing? I can remember a time when Dallas Kitt was the only person they could seem to find for the job, and the fans had to withstand a full season of listening to her stammer her way through the dialogue that she read off of cue cards. You obviously weren't around that season, or you forgot about it.

The jumbotron is great and all, but do we really need to see the same opening video for all 36 home games.They changed it up at least once last season, why not this season? I can agree with this one. If they are going to show a bunch of players that are no longer on the team in the video, at least make them 'vintage' Rebels from way back.

The centrium is 20 years old now, maybe its time to replace the speaker system and have something that works.It is adequate for most things, but for example, you can't understand a thing that Jesse is saying in the post-game interviews. I could back this.

You would never want to go to a Rebels game hungry, besides the pizza it is absolutely garbage to what they sell you there. Paying $5.00 for a cardboard piece of over breaded meet is ridiculous.The prices are the same or cheaper than other venues in the WHL, but the quality and variety just isn't there. This however is 100% on the Westerner and not the Rebels.

On a positive note the amazing board at the Westerner Park finally got rid of the "no re-entry" policy at the centrium. I am not a smoker but that was a little over kill on the westerner park's part.I don't really have any reason to leave the game and return, and I was enjoying not having to occasionally sit by someone that stinks, but it really can do nothing but help attendance, so this is an ok move.

I am always so happy to see the Western Park staff in there lovely green jackets not doing their jobs. I love trying to watch the hockey games and seeing people walk up the isles during the play, i would hate to stop the green jacket parade from talking and not doing their job during the game.I have been a season ticket holder since the Rebel's second season in the league, and a lot of them have been there since then... Perhaps they are a little too comfortable? I think the people walking up and down the aisles during play is a side-affect of all the bandwagon fans showing up at the games during the stretch/playoffs. They can stop them from coming down to their seats during play, but there is really very little they can do to stop them from getting up from their seats and leaving in the middle of the play. That being said, roughly half the time, there is nobody at the top of my section stopping people from walking down in the middle of play.

Rebrevs
03-02-2011, 08:48 PM
I like Joe. I think he does a great job. Going after someone "better" may not be better at all. Could end up with a dud!! It would be nice to have a little more variety in the programming. The same activities get a little tedious. This isn't Joe's fault. I wonder sometimes, how much control the sponsors have over programming. If they need their product advertised "X" number of times over the year, then the Rebels don't have a lot of control over that either. The food is definitely poor. Seriously, the Westerner should do something about it.

RDRebelsfan
03-02-2011, 09:47 PM
I'll say it once I'll say it again.

something about smaller rinks that blows the larger centre's out of the water when it comes to food. In terms of quality and price. I'd rather get a burger or fries from the Sylvan Lake Arena any day of the week over anything at the centrium.

Philz
03-03-2011, 10:16 AM

I can not agree with more. When Joe does the PA announcing i think he does a stand up job. As for the ice cream...there are no complaints, that goes for the pizza too...since it is sourced from anoter resturant