PDA

View Full Version : 20 Year Olds in 2011/2012

dsquared
03-03-2011, 11:37 AM
What's your guess for our 20 yo positions next year. We have: Mitchell, Davidson, Bidlevskii & Ketlo. Kelto is not 20 yo roster spot material (and when was the last time the Pats had a 20 yo goalie?). If Mitchell and/or Davidson make the Capitals/Oilers farm systems that leaves Bidlevskii with one spot. Lang would have to trade for the other 2. Who out there has a surplus of 19 yo's this year?
________
Live Sex Webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

west coast
03-03-2011, 12:34 PM
interesting dlimemma !! The first move would be Ketlo to the Prince George Cougars.I heard on the radio that Ketlo gets a min. of 500 of his own fans out to games whenever he plays in Prince George as he lives nearby in Fort Fraser.I would like to see the others return to gain confidence ,and for a chance to succeed before they begin their pro careers.If Teubert is perceived to have struggled in pro hockey , then really why hurry these players along.Let them develop confidence and mature and develop physically.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-08-2011, 02:30 PM
It looking more like the Oilers could be intent on keeping Davidson in junior.

Along with the Teubert trade at the deadline, I went on TSN ca today and noticed the Oilers signed a 22 year old College defenceman to play in the A next year.

So thats two more guys that likely have spots over Davidson. It is still not a sure thing that Davidson returns as a 20, but the odds have increased today.

That being said, I think Mitchell's continued improved play might mean he could be gone next year.

patsdude114
03-09-2011, 04:40 AM
That being said, I think Mitchell's continued improved play might mean he could be gone next year.

Well he needs to get a contract 1st & even then it doesnt assure him a spot in Hershey..... WSH is very careful with there prospects & as much as i like Mitchell as a heart & soul guy playing in the AHL at age 20 wont help his development at all.

Mitchell has been playing great lately, he has been actually scoring on his chances more as well. Playing with Weal is great for Mitchell & im sure WSH will look at that as well for next season. Mitchell has had a strong season as a 19yr old should, but he still needs to work on being more consistant on a nightly basis (offensively i mean) the ice time Mitchell will receive in the WHL next year cant be forgotten during his assessment by WSH as it is he plays in every situation & since xmas has been having very good success.

As for Davidson, I think alot will tell after our season is done. Be it if we squeek into the playoffs (which i hope but doubt) he will be sent to AHL as soon as our season is done & depends if he has any success there. The guy has really turned into 1 of the top Dmen in our conference, not bad for a 18yrold list player last year.

Next season we could have 3 very solid 20yr olds, not elite 20yr olds but guys that work hard each & every shift (the same cant be said for 2 of our 3 we have this year)

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-09-2011, 12:24 PM
i happen to like our 20s, as they each bring positive qualities to our lineup that you want to rub off on younger guys. They arent perfect but you dont need guys that are going to be gone next year doing all the leg work anyways...unless you are going for the memorial cup.

As for mitchell you are right about the contract. I think its a given but you never do know until its done. Keep in mind that mitchell probably wont ever be relied on for scoring in pros, so numbers hardly matter. But theres still no need to rush him.

I remember Ian schultz was a similar playre(except that guy was an enormous diver but thats beside the point) and he went to pros instead of returning as an OA. Different organizations, and surely other factors...so I guess we will see.

besides, I think Reider could fill in for Mitchell just fine if he did leave...

Joe Hallenback
03-09-2011, 02:15 PM
If the Oilers sign Davidson he will be in OKC if not he will be back in Regina for a year. Is Mitchell signed?

witness
03-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Next season we could have 3 very solid 20yr olds, not elite 20yr olds but guys that work hard each & every shift (the same cant be said for 2 of our 3 we have this year)

Amen, Brother

i happen to like our 20s, as they each bring positive qualities to our lineup that you want to rub off on younger guys

I don't mean to sound critical but what qualities are you looking at??

In this case the stats don't lie:
Neigum is a -30 and spends more time posturing against 18 year olds than he does playing hockey. There is no doubt that he has skill and has shown it on occation. But, he spends too much time in the box on suspect penalities (more notably instigators).
Reddin is a -30. I orginally thought that Reddin was lazy but he was playing well in October and November and my opinion changed. But sometime after the trade deadline, he gave up on this team. 5 points in 2 months with 2nd line minutes?
Schneider -47! Enough said.

Reddin and Neigum play 2nd line minutes and the Pats coaches have tried to make this their 'checking line'. I would assume that your 20's should be your better players and come out on the better end of most battles. Night in and Night out this line is out played.

Going into next year ...
I don't think that Ketlo is a 20 year old goalie in this league. He hasn't showed that he can play that high level game on a consistant enough bases.

For Davidson and Mitchell it will depend on how they do if they get the call this spring. Mitchell needs to sign (and Washington has some interest), Davidson doesn't. If Washington signs Mitchell they may decide to put him in the ECHL, but time will tell.

I don't know if the Pats will have room for both Davidson and Bidlevski (with Peel, Burroughs and Williams on the way in).

The Pats will need some help on the frontend. without a doubt the soon to be 16 year olds will be a great addition, but there are not enough 18 and 19 year olds on this team that can play in the Dub.

Malc
03-10-2011, 02:40 PM
... Who out there has a surplus of 19 yo's this year?

According to "Small Thoughts At Large" Medicine Hat & Tri-City both have 9 19 yo's while Kootenay, Prince Albert & Swift Current each have 7 19 yo's.

http://smallatlarge.blogspot.com/2011/01/roster-breakdown-post-trade-deadline.html

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Im looking at some of the small positive qualities that rub off on younger players. For the most part they dont take shifts off, and played in all situations without carrying the team.

I gotta say what I like most about Neigum is his feistiness(though obviously he loses it sometimes), and appears to be a good leader on the ice. Im not sure if playing clutch is a quality that can rub off but theres that too. While though Reddin hasnt been great for a few games, you can say the same about alot of players lately. Overall this year though, Id say Reddin has still been pretty good. Blocks alot of shots, and plays well with young guys. He was definitely worth the 6th round pick, Id say, as was Neigum who was a throw-in.

Scheider is an average all around defenceman. Nothing special, though I think the minus -47 doesnt tell the whole story. Infact this stat rarely does. Most of these players were acquired for next to nothing, and there was a reason that was the case...but I think they overall were good investments(even Schneider. our defence was a mess before he came).

bkdevil
03-10-2011, 03:48 PM
What will they do with the Goalie situation, will Hewitt be the starter next year?

Rebel_Rebel
03-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Obviously i haven't seen him play as much as you guys but just keep this in mind....here in Red Deer several fans I spoke with last season were adamant that Kuemper would not be back as a 20yo...worked out pretty for the Rebs I would say.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Difference between Kuemper and Ketlo is that one unexpectedly came back from pro, while the other would unexpectedly have to just stay in the WHL.

Hewitt will probably be the starter next year, he has got most of the big games lately this season as it is anyways. Beukeboom probably will be the backup, or maybe Burgardt in the future.

SectionNDeserter
03-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Kuemper joined the Rebels, and in a matter of months unseated 'starter' Morgan Clark and sent him packing. From that point on, he has unquestionably been the starting goaltender. He struggled a bit in the stretch run, and was average in the post season, which led to speculation that he would be traded in the offseason were he not signed by Minnesota (which he still isn't).

From what I have read from Regina fans on this board, Ketlo's grasp on the starting job has been tenuous at best, with many of them having him all but shipped off at the deadline this season. I think the only way he is back, is if all of the goaltending prospects that Regina has look absolutely terrible in training camp.

patsdude114
03-10-2011, 11:54 PM
I think the only way he is back, is if all of the goaltending prospects that Regina has look absolutely terrible in training camp.

To be honest i dont even think the Pats bring Ketlo to training camp, think they either trade him during the offseason if someone wants to take a chance on him or just make him a free agentfrom the get go.

Next season is year 2 of a rebuilding phase & it makes no sense at all to have a 20yr old starting/backup goalie (especially 1 of the talent of Ketlo) he is far from lights out, or 1 of the top goalies in the conference so no need to even waste time in the crease with a goalie who has no business being on our team.

He shows flashes of what he can be in this league & then follows it up with a soft game or 2. Hewitt without a doubt will be our starter next season, he is still having a learning curve as he becomes more & more of an everyday guy in this league.

Joe Hallenback
03-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Hewitt is pretty good IMO

Rebel_Rebel
03-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Kuemper joined the Rebels, and in a matter of months unseated 'starter' Morgan Clark and sent him packing. From that point on, he has unquestionably been the starting goaltender. He struggled a bit in the stretch run, and was average in the post season, which led to speculation that he would be traded in the offseason were he not signed by Minnesota (which he still isn't).

From what I have read from Regina fans on this board, Ketlo's grasp on the starting job has been tenuous at best, with many of them having him all but shipped off at the deadline this season. I think the only way he is back, is if all of the goaltending prospects that Regina has look absolutely terrible in training camp.

I wouldn't call a GAA of 5.86 and a SV% of .806 in the playoffs average i'd call it terrible...lot's of people wondered if the Rebels should have brought him back or if Barnstable should have been the guy this year....personally I like Kuemper style of goaltending a lot more than Barnstable but that's just personally opinion.

Without having seen much of Regina's goalies (obviously!) I don't really know which would be the better choice for the Pats going forward imo you don't generally use a 20 yo spot on a Goalie

patsdude114
03-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Hewitt is by far the better goalie between him & Ketlo, our defense is weak which does expose both goalies at times. Hewitt just seems to battle for pucks better then Ketlo ever has, & his rebound control & how he plays the puck is much better Ketlo's as well.

Mind u since Ketlo has gotten hurt without that battle for the crease i have noticed Hewitt has struggled abit. From a early stand point with a backup who isnt really WHL ready, it seems like Hewitt has struggled without that competition for the crease. Maybe the Pats have to look at having a guy to battle Hewitt at all times for that crease, im not sure if Beukeboom will be ready to challenge the starter all season long. I guess we will tell more come training camp (which is still a long ways away).

SectionNDeserter
03-11-2011, 04:50 PM
lot's of people wondered if the Rebels should have brought him back or if Barnstable should have been the guy this year.Barnstable's numbers have always been below average, he just happened to enjoy some success in the shootouts (which has always been a weak area for the Rebels). I don't remember anyone that thought Barnstable would be back this season, and I was even surprised to see him in training camp to be honest. I did however hear some people talk about dealing Kuemper in the offseason for a younger, 18 or 19 year old goaltender, and running with that goaltender and Rakochy.

Without having seen much of Regina's goalies (obviously!) I don't really know which would be the better choice for the Pats going forward imo you don't generally use a 20 yo spot on a GoalieI know the few games I saw Ketlo in against Red Deer when he was a 17 year old made me think he was a fantastic goaltender, but I think those must have been the flashes of what he could have been that Patsdude114 was talking about.

Rebel_Rebel
03-12-2011, 12:14 AM
yeah it's weird sometimes how guys look like they are gonna be stars but then never really pan out....Goal is probably the hardest position to project, especially in the WHL where the players are still very young, 17 to 20 and most goalies don't seem to really hit their stride until they are a little older....with some exceptions of course.

whlfan3
03-13-2011, 12:58 AM
Are you high

Neigum might be a minus 30 but if you knew the whole story youd see the team infront of him. And poor Schneider isn't great in the dzone but plus minus is a terrible stat. our simplest breakdowns lead to goals against...

Guys like Neigum who log a lot of crucial minutes are going to such up the odd minus...we dont exactly have an allstar team

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-19-2011, 01:44 PM
He definitely earned it. At the very least, this is to secure his rights. Still a long road to climb though.

He was one of the few non star pats that has steadily improved his game over the years. Like Teubert, you wont know how bad the team will miss what he brings until hes gone.

Id say they keep him in pro next year. Even if he doesnt make the AHL next year, theres a possibility they put him in the ECHL. Because its not like they are going to rely on him for scoring or anything if he ever plays on the big club.

patsdude114
03-20-2011, 12:17 AM
Id say they keep him in pro next year. Even if he doesnt make the AHL next year, theres a possibility they put him in the ECHL. Because its not like they are going to rely on him for scoring or anything if he ever plays on the big club.

I agree with u there SAJ altho it would be the worst move the Caps could do for his development. Playing in the ECHL the level of play there is no better then the CHL's level of play. Washington is pretty careful with how there prospects develop, & you are right its not like they are going to rely on him to score so a player of his type would be best off for another year of junior.

Its not like Mitchell has accomplished anything in junior hockey yet, so another year here would be for his benefit. Look at a guy like Brouwer the guy was nothing until his 20yr old season. Now im not saying Mitchell will put up a 100pt season like Brouwer did in his 20yr old season, but look at how another season of junior helped get Brouwer where he is now. If it wasnt for Brouwer's dominating season he wouldnt be in the NHL today cuz the guy wasnt playing with alot of confidence during his 19yr old season.

Troy Brouwer http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=62527&encode=TRUE
Garrett Mitchell http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=98631

I just think it would be a big mistake on WSH behalf to keep Mitchell in pro hockey next season. Yes Mitchell will want to be in pro hockey but to get the most out of his development he needs another year of junior. He isnt lights out by any means when he gets the puck in junior now.

I am a huge Mitchell supporter I wish more players in this league played with his heart & work ethic. It would be a huge blow to a rebuilding Pats team if WSH does keep him in pro hockey next season.