PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Picture

Rockets1231
03-07-2011, 12:09 PM
With all the teams having between 5 and 8 games left, the playoff picture is starting to take shape. Saskatoon has all but clinched the East, while Red Deer and Med Hat battle for the Central division. Kootney looks secure in 4th and Moose Jaw safely in 5th. Edmonton and Brandon have a good fight for 6th going on. While Prince Albert, Lethbridge, and Regina battle for the final playoff spot. With the Canes' recent blow up in Kelowna (rightfully so), I don't think they will be able to make it, they're frustrated and that leads to playing stupid hockey which leads to losses. I think Regina is just too far back to make a charge because even if the Raiders only win 2 of their remaining 6 Regina would then have to win 4 of 6 and I just don't see the Pats doing that. P.A. takes 8th and with that a 1st round match-up with the hated Blades. If I'm Saskatoon I'm praying for Lethbridge or Regina because if they aren't at their absolute best vs the Raiders they'll be golfing.

Out West Portland and Spokane are fighting for the Division, and with it, Conference crown. Home ice for the winner throughout the West playoffs could be key if these two meet in the Conference Finals. Spokane is 3 points back with a game in hand, but I think they will be able to catch the Winterhawks. Kelowna has a strangle hold on the B.C. crown with Vancouver's recent struggles. The Giants still have a shot, but will need to turn it around fast, not to mention sweep the home and home with Kelowna at the end of the year. I don't see that happening. Tri-City is safely in 4th, however they still are battling Kelowna for the 3rd seed in the 2nd round. This isn't a huge deal, but if there's an upset in the 1st round it could mean home-ice advantage in the 2nd round. Chilliwack, Everett, Prince George, Kamloops, and Seattle; 3 spots, 5 teams. Chilliwack and Everett are quite safe and will battle for 6th and considering the Bruins are hot and the Tips are not lately, I think the Bruins nab 6th. This leaves the Cougars, Blazers, and T-birds. Sorry Seattle but I see the same problem as with Regina, less wins means you're actually 4 points behind (yes for both Seattle and Regina there's the tiebreaker option, but if it's a 3-way tie the fewest wins is out which would be Regina or Seattle, and even if they get to a tiebreak it's on enemy ice, and with the playoffs on the line, I'll take the home team). This leaves Kamloops and P.G. and with both teams playing absolutely awful lately I'm not sure who to take, P.G. has a game in hand, but it wouldn't surprise me if they lose that. The Blazers have a better record over the last 10, but with both teams losing their last 3 I think that's irrelevant. I think a tiebreaker is very likely here and I think P.G. would be the home team based on goal differential (I think both teams will be equal on wins, and I'm not sure of the season series). That being said with these two home ice may actually be meaningless. I'm a Rockets fan so I hate the Blazers, I think the Cougars are a better team, and Prince George is on home ice, with all that, I think P.G. wins the tiebreaker then gets brutally and painfully demolished by the number one seed in a 4 game sweep.

Now all that being said I think it's going to be a fun final couple of weeks. If I had to pick one lower seeded team I would not want to play in the opening round it's Chiliwack. They are absolutely on fire lately! Five in a row, which includes wins against Kelowna and Portland. As far as Kelowna goes, they've won 3 straight against us. Just like the Blades with the Raiders, I'm hoping the Bruins do not finish 7th. Vancouver also might just want to keep an eye in their rear-view mirror as the Bruins might just sneak up and grab 5th on them, they do have 2 games left vs each other.

Just my 2 cents on how things are shaping up. Other thoughts anyone?