PDA

View Full Version : Best Goalie in the WHL next season?

Sabes
05-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Not including 20's, who will be the top WHL goalie?

Sput
05-29-2005, 10:16 PM
Here are the stats for 2004.

PLAYER SV% GGA
Matt Keetley .908 2.27
Tyler Plante .911 2.94
Derek Yeomans .929 1.82
Taylor Dakers NO STATS LISTED ON WHL.com
Carey Price .937 2.22
Justin Pogge .9.28 1.94
Devan Dubnyk .866 3.64
Kyle Moir could not find stats
Alex Archibald NO STATS LISTED ON WHL.com
Dustin Slade not fair to use BCHL stats

One thing I find odd, maybe I'm biased, is niether PG goalie is on the list. As a rookie Real Cyr had a .901sv% and a 2.80GGA, while Bowles came in at the trade deadline and still posted a .904sv% and 2.77GGA. Not stand out stats by anyones maesure, but still not bad for a young team that had a very hard time finding the win column most nights. I can see, with a large maesure of optimism, that one or both of the Cougs stoppers will be in the top 10, maybe even top 5 next year.

Furback
05-30-2005, 12:43 AM
Alot of your stats are wrong dude. I think there all wrong oh well If people want the real stats they can look it up themselfs. I'm no ones gopher.

Knuckle Chucker
05-30-2005, 03:36 PM
One thing I find odd, maybe I'm biased, is niether PG goalie is on the list. As a rookie Real Cyr had a .901sv% and a 2.80GGA, while Bowles came in at the trade deadline and still posted a .904sv% and 2.77GGA. Not stand out stats by anyones maesure, but still not bad for a young team that had a very hard time finding the win column most nights. I can see, with a large maesure of optimism, that one or both of the Cougs stoppers will be in the top 10, maybe even top 5 next year.

Real Cyr is an excellent goalie. He was great as a Prince Albert Minto AAA. I hope and think he will be a dark horse and have a great year. Not only is he a great goalie but he is a quality kid.

fightstrap50
05-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Here are the stats for 2004.

PLAYER SV% GGA
Matt Keetley .908 2.27
Tyler Plante .911 2.94
Derek Yeomans .929 1.82
Taylor Dakers NO STATS LISTED ON WHL.com
Carey Price .937 2.22
Justin Pogge .9.28 1.94
Devan Dubnyk .866 3.64
Kyle Moir could not find stats
Alex Archibald NO STATS LISTED ON WHL.com

here is taylor dakers stats from hockeydb.com. he has shown a great improvment from the previous years stats, so if he can improve on last years stats hell be right at the top im sure!
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=73449

Sabes
05-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Should I keep doing this? Make like a top 10 goalie then move on to d-men and forwards after? If so just say yes and nominate who should be added to the poll. I am thinking Top 10 Goalies, 20 D-men and 30 forwards? Or we can cut it in half. It will be fun.

fightstrap50
05-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Should I keep doing this? Make like a top 10 goalie then move on to d-men and forwards after? If so just say yes and nominate who should be added to the poll. I am thinking Top 10 Goalies, 20 D-men and 30 forwards? Or we can cut it in half. It will be fun.
If you do that I would like to nominate for a top forward(center) though he is smaller I really like this guy:
Ryan russell-kootenay Ice, with 32 goals and 21 assists for 53 points in 66 games,

And for a D-man i would like to see his twin brother Kris Russell-Medicine Hat Tigers with 26 goals and 35 assists for 61 points in 72 games.

These two brothers were amongst the leaders in scoring for their respective teams and not one got an invite to the top prospects game.

way to go Russells

Furback
05-30-2005, 10:49 PM
The russels are good but small you know scouts like the size I hope The russels get a shot cause they are pretty good for 17 year olds.

fightstrap50
05-30-2005, 11:23 PM
yes they are both awesome players, I agree that size can matter though, And also I thought the same thing watching Kris, he should be a forward, but for his size he is a great defenceman, they can both really put the wheels in motion in a hurry too. I remeber last season here in Cranbrook the two of them squared off at center ice and went at it. Im not talking like brothers either! these two swung it out in a great fight, obviously well matched to boot. that was awesome, and to top it off they fought again in Medicine Hat, maybe for the crowds i guess but it was good.
Ryan could have scored 20 more Goals had he elected to use his great shot more often, he had countless oportunities all year but he's not selfish and goes for the pass like Nigel Dawes does so well.

Speaking of Dawes, if he for some miracle unknown returns to the WHL for one more season to toughen up more due to his size, look for him to be a league leader again and probly one of the best forwards in the league.

Jovorock
05-31-2005, 06:34 AM
I went with who I believe will be the starting goaltender at the world junior championships in Vancouver, Devin Dubnyk. I think the Blazers will have better defense in front of him and he will have a chance to get better numbers.

.866 and 3.64, poor guy was alone out there.

Flathead
05-31-2005, 08:05 AM
There has been rumblings around Swift that Kyle Moir will be getting an invite. I hope he does, he's an awesome goalie, that didn't have much help last year.

Joe Hallenback
05-31-2005, 08:12 PM
yes they are both awesome players, I agree that size can matter though, And also I thought the same thing watching Kris, he should be a forward, but for his size he is a great defenceman, they can both really put the wheels in motion in a hurry too. I remeber last season here in Cranbrook the two of them squared off at center ice and went at it. Im not talking like brothers either! these two swung it out in a great fight, obviously well matched to boot. that was awesome, and to top it off they fought again in Medicine Hat, maybe for the crowds i guess but it was good.
Ryan could have scored 20 more Goals had he elected to use his great shot more often, he had countless oportunities all year but he's not selfish and goes for the pass like Nigel Dawes does so well.

Speaking of Dawes, if he for some miracle unknown returns to the WHL for one more season to toughen up more due to his size, look for him to be a league leader again and probly one of the best forwards in the league.

Dawes will not be back on Kootenany next season. I work with his father and he has said that the Rangers feel he has nothing to prove in the WHL and will benefit with a couple of seasons in the AHL with the Hartford Wolfpack

I ended up going with Plante whom I think will be fantastic next season. He doesnt get alot of credit for a great rookie season IMO.

fightstrap50
05-31-2005, 09:16 PM
Dawes will not be back on Kootenany next season. I work with his father and he has said that the Rangers feel he has nothing to prove in the WHL and will benefit with a couple of seasons in the AHL with the Hartford Wolfpack

I ended up going with Plante whom I think will be fantastic next season. He doesnt get alot of credit for a great rookie season IMO.
I agree with you on the dawes subject fully, And even if it wasnt heard first hand by you from his dad i never even had a hope in Nigel returning. He doesnt have to, because as you say, he has nothing to prove in the WHL. Hes one of the most consistant players we have had the pure enjoyment in watching here in Cranbrook, and to say that speaks volumes of this guy because we have had some pretty big names roll through here. The Rangers have one hell of a prospect with him.

I forgot my goalie pick for next year. Ill have to be biased with my pick as i have seen what this kid is capable of many times, Taylor Dakers will be right up there! other than that maybe Devin Dubnyk.

Sput
06-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Alot of your stats are wrong dude. I think there all wrong oh well If people want the real stats they can look it up themselfs. I'm no ones gopher.

Gee, I guess I can't look up frriggin stats on the WHL website and get it right huh? The stats I listed were right off WHL.ca so if they are wrong, I guess it isn't my fault is it? Look it up for yourself and you will see the same stats I did.

Sabes
06-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Gee, I guess I can't look up frriggin stats on the WHL website and get it right huh? The stats I listed were right off WHL.ca so if they are wrong, I guess it isn't my fault is it? Look it up for yourself and you will see the same stats I did.
You used the play-off stats, here are the reg season:

Matt Keetley .933 1.66
Tyler Plante .907 2.58
Derek Yeomans .923 1.83
Taylor Dakers .916 2.03
Carey Price .920 2.34
Justin Pogge .907 2.50
Devan Dubnyk .912 2.69
Kyle Moir .916 2.73
Alex Archibald .897 2.60

Stay-Puft
06-01-2005, 02:22 PM

I guess the website defaults to the current "statistical season". I was wondering why GPI (game played in) were low when I viewed it.

On the overall subject, because of local bias, Price should be ranked right up there with the best under-20 in the league, actually right up there period. The Ams had very little offence, and Price lost a number of games because they couldn't put the puck in the net, 42 games of 2 goals or fewer scored by the Ams. It'll be fun to see how this poll/debate unfolds next year.

rinkrat
06-01-2005, 04:19 PM
What can we expect from Slade in Vancouver? I know he's a hot head but how is he as a goalie?
Also the Giants are bringing up rookie Tyson Sexsmith,he's getting alot of hype! :thumb:

Knuckle Chucker
06-01-2005, 07:18 PM
What can we expect from Slade in Vancouver? I know he's a hot head but how is he as a goalie?
Also the Giants are bringing up rookie Tyson Sexsmith,he's getting alot of hype! :thumb:

Slade is a very good but overly intense goalie. I sit right behind the goal net in PA so I had a front row seat for his meltdown. It was very funny but freaky at the same time. Before it happened he was winking at the fans behind the net...really hamming it up......the ref calls a penality on him and he snapped.

peatfan
06-04-2005, 02:14 AM
If not at the start of the year he will be #1 by the end. Great future for this level headed goalie. Dominated midget hockey in Alberta at the age of 14. and played good on a real ****ty team in the AJHL. :wave:

Beaner
06-04-2005, 09:56 AM
I went with who I believe will be the starting goaltender at the world junior championships in Vancouver, Devin Dubnyk. I think the Blazers will have better defense in front of him and he will have a chance to get better numbers.

.866 and 3.64, poor guy was alone out there.

Agree completely, Kamloops will be better next year, and Dubnyk will be even better with the improved defence and offence in front of him.

Wether he makes the WJ team is another story - a lot of Good goalies in CHL fighting for that job.

Jovorock
06-04-2005, 10:17 AM
I was impressed with Slade when he was 16 coming into Kelowna with the Blazers. If Hay can get keep his head into the game he will be better than Scwarz IMO.

Flathead
06-04-2005, 08:15 PM
IMO, Slade has the tools to be a league elite, and would have easily been a 1st rounder had he ever had a head on his shoulders. Nobody wants to take a chance on someone with a temper like his. Awesome goalie, when he sticks to being a goalie instead of a goon. I hope he can stick to playing hockey this year, he's treat to watch.

smackitsakic
06-05-2005, 09:32 AM
To me, it is clear that Kyle Moir is the #1 goalie in the league next year. He has played in the league for three years and has proven time and time again that he is more than capable to win a dozen games by himself. Last year he was on one of the worst teams in the league with a very young defense in front of him and he still managed a .917 save percentage, one of the only stats that truly shows a goalies skill level. He's 6'3, 19 years old, and has been in the system forever. In 03-04 he had two weaknesses - puck handling and lateral movement. At the end of that year the Broncos acquired Blake Grenier from the Warriors whose two strengths were puck handling and lateral movement. It was clear that Grenier helped Moir in an impressive way.
Moir has every tool a goalie needs to be successful in any league, and his career is not going to stop at the WHL. He will certainly get an invite to the Juniors (especially with Sutter), however, i don't think he will be sent home from camp disappointed and rejected.