PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs

Red celtic
03-16-2011, 10:37 AM
With M.H. losing to the Ice last night we only need 1 point to clinch 2nd in the Conference and our first Divisional title in a # of years. If we win at least 1 game against Edmonton this weekend there is a good chance we will face them in the playoffs. So here is the question who would you rather play Edmonton or Brandon and why. Personally I would rather meet Edmonton in the first round the reason they are closer.

Rebel~66
03-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Either matchup would be fine but I'd prefer Edmonton for a few reasons.

Brandon has been on a tear recently. Sure, I think the Rebels match up very well with them but that team are confident and on a roll. They have a few potential game breakers in Stone and Glennie and decent secondary scoring too. Defence and goaltending are a little raw and suspect though and the Rebels likely would prevail in a seven game series.

The Oil Kings are a decent team and shouldn't be taken lightly. Wruck and St. Croix are excellent players and they have decent D in the likes of Pysyk, Lowe, and Reinhart. Goaltending is ok. Still, like this matchup from the Rebels standpoint but you can never ever take things for granted.

I'm hoping the Wheaties can possibly knock off the Tigers and Blades. They match up pretty well with both and could cause some damage there. They have the potential to be a darkhorse in the playoffs. The Blades, in particular, would be worried meeting them given the recent problems they've had with them.

Bottom line for me though is that Edmonton is closer, much closer! If for no other reason that's why I'd want to meet them.

SectionNDeserter
03-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Either matchup would be fine but I'd prefer Edmonton for a few reasons.Same, both have inexperienced/sketchy goaltending and defense, but the trek to Winnipeg just seems like a brutal trip that I would think the team would be just as happy to avoid making.

and they have decent D in the likes of PysykHe is a star defenseman, but Red Deer seems to be his kryptonite for some reason. He always looks dreadful when he plays them.

Rebel_Rebel
03-17-2011, 08:26 AM
I'd rather face Edmonton given the choice of the two for basically the same reasons listed above by you guys. Actually the only teams that really worry me this year are M.H. and Saskatoon. I think we've got a shot of beating Saskatoon (it would be tough, but if the boys play their best I really think we could beat them) but M.H. just seams to have our number and Bunz is seemingly unbeatable when he plays against us.

This is assuming we don't go out before then of course.:eek:

Red celtic
03-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Sounds like playoff fever is beginning to take hold. Just a word of caution every one needs keep the vitamin C up and get lots of sleep because its going to get exciting around Red Deer. We might have break out the beach balls for the first game. Here is an article from the Advocate speculating about first round opponents.
http://www.albertalocalnews.com/reddeeradvocate/sports/Oil_Kings_likely_on_tap_118166244.html

Rebel_Rebel
03-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the link red Celtic that was a good article. Hopefully Brandon will finish 6th and the Tigers will have to make that trip to Winnipeg!:p

BTW does Brandon always host that event or is it just this year? The timing is awful.:confused:

SectionNDeserter
03-18-2011, 04:33 PM
BTW does Brandon always host that event or is it just this year? The timing is awful.:confused:Every year, though it seems to me that it sometimes falls on the second round of the playoffs.

WorkHorse
03-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the link red Celtic that was a good article. Hopefully Brandon will finish 6th and the Tigers will have to make that trip to Winnipeg!:p

BTW does Brandon always host that event or is it just this year? The timing is awful.:confused:

Has been around longer than the wheat kings. Lines up with many ag events throughout Canada. It's timing will never be changed. Deal. Lol

Red celtic
03-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Playoff hockey is hear and it sounds like Edmonton wants to make it a gritty series. They plan to target RNH and to take the flow out of the game. It will be interesting to see how RD game plans for a physical series. Here are a couple of articles on the up coming series.
http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/2011/03/23/17721591.html
http://www.albertalocalnews.com/reddeeradvocate/sports/Rebels_expect_battle_all_the_way_118499134.html
http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/2011/03/22/17708256.html

rebel
03-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Is anyone planning on going up to Edmonton for 1 or both of the games??

Shinyshoes
03-23-2011, 01:40 PM
My Wife, Tiny and I will be up on Monday for game 3. Us 3, plus 5 others will be making the trip Thursday for game 4.

GO REBELS!

Rebel~66
03-23-2011, 02:29 PM
I love this quote from the Oil Kings head coach:

"Hopkins is a special player," said Oil Kings head coach Derek Laxdal. "I thought we did a good job of trying to shut him down (last weekend), but at the end of the two games he has three goals and an assist."

Has to be a little disheartening that they supposedly did such a good job against him but he still ended up with four points over the weekend. (And 1st and 2nd star honours too).

I think that this will be a tough series. You could see from the off on Saturday that Edmonton has set their stall out this way. However, it's not like the Rebels are exactly shrinking violets, as evidenced by their penalty minute stats, so I'm not sure that that strategy is that inspired.

Looking forward to it.

rdreb
03-23-2011, 02:56 PM
I should be in Edmonton for both games

Shinyshoes
03-23-2011, 03:05 PM
I should be in Edmonton for both games
I'm in 102. If you haven't got your tickets yet, I'm in row 12 for both games. Get yours there. If you have already got them, come visit.

rdreb
03-23-2011, 09:03 PM
we are in section 118 row 12

Trevor
03-23-2011, 11:15 PM

Every year, for the past 103 years. The Wheat Kings haven't played playoff hockey in Winnipeg since 2006. Two factors played in the games being in Winnipeg this year.

First, the season started and therefore ended one week later this year. Last year, playoffs started on the 19th, one week before the winter fair.

Secondly, the Wheaties finished 6th. In the last couple years when they had home ice advantage, games 1 & 2 would be over by the time the fair started.

They have worked around it before though. Last season the 2nd round started in Saskatoon despite the Wheat Kings having home ice advantage. This was due to the fair still being on.

Red celtic
03-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Well we are two games into the first round. We have seen some great hockey with some periods of what the hell!!! Overall the boys have stuck to the game plan and RNH has been outstanding. Hope the boys are able to carry it over to Edmonton and put a strangle hold on the series. Here are two articles from the Advocate and the Edmonton Sun on game two.
http://www.albertalocalnews.com/reddeeradvocate/sports/Rebels_drill_the_Oil_Kings_118728674.html
http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/columnists/dave_cameron/2011/03/27/17770546.html