PDA

View Full Version : End of Season Poll - Hunt's Fate

dsquared
03-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Well the first season under Chad Lang has been put in the books. It brings us to a question based upon the The Clash`s 1982 song "Should ? Stay or Should I Go?` What is the going to happen to Curtis Hunt and Shaun Sutter?

I say they both will stay - The coach can only work with the players that the GM has brought in. Parker had left a mess for Lang - it is going to take 3 years to turn this ship around. So Lang has 2 more years. Lang will give Hunt some more rope and keep him for next season. IMO the Pats overachieved in the second half of the season and this was due in part to the current players buying the coach's system. Sutter will stay unless a head coaching offer comes his way (Junior A?).

I believe the Pats have or will will very shortly have stopped paying on the Derkatch contract. That being said this means that there is some salary room if Lang wants to change the coach.

Request for the 2011 Bantam and Import Drafts - Chad please see that we pick up some beef with skates. The theory that you can win in 2011/2012 with diminutive players hasn't worked yet for the Pats.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Albert Einstein
________
BUY GLASS BONGS (http://glassbongs.org/)

patsdude114
03-23-2011, 10:36 PM
It really wont surprise me at all if Hunt sticks around at least for the start of next season. See what kind of start he can get the team off too.

In the 1st 1/2 of the season we were 10-20-5-1 (that was with a more talented team with players like Ashton & Frazee in the mix) after trades were made the 2nd 1/2 of the year we went 13-19-2-2 yes altho still not at .500 we were playing much better hockey. Alot of that can be on the shoulders of the goalies who were competing for the crease each & ever game. We were playing with the top teams (MH/MJ/SAS/RD) we beat all the top teams in the Eastern Conference some them a few times, the only team we struggled with all year long was EDM, as we got blown out every game by them.

With virtually the whole Pats team returning next season (could be a HUGE blow if all 3 of our 20yr olds make the pro jump Mitchell/Davidson/Bidlevskii) the Pats are in a position to start off strong. Also we could very well lose Blidstrand to the AHL as well, as he was drafted out of europe not out of the CHL so he is able to play in the AHL at age 19 (just like Kalus & recently Urbom from BRN did this year) If the Pats lose all 4 of those players (which very well could happen) that would be a huge blow especially to our blueline, we would lose 3 of our top 4 Dmen. We werent very good defensively this season & if we lost all 3 of them it will be even a longer season next year then it was the past 3 years.

I just see Hunt staying to finish out this rebuilding stage, i cant remember if he signed a 3yr or 4yr deal when he came back but if its only a 3yr deal let him coach out the final year expecially if we lose all those guys. Then you will see Weal getting traded next season & a new coach the following year.

Wow after typing all this out, & seeing who we could all possibly lose just to pro hockey...... wow the Pats could be in a real mess yet again.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Article in the leader post about this. The title says it all in that his future is uncertain. Hunt is a smart hockey guy and all, and there were some positives from him this year...but long term, he just isnt the answer and I hope Lang can see that despite likely being friends with him. We need new systems to adapt to the new game, and ones that suit the style of player we have and have traded for.

Patsdude, I wouldnt worry about losing those guys to pro hockey. Neigum is gone anyways, but Bidlevskii is coming back since those two are just on tryout contracts. Blidstrand is still getting acclimated to the dub, and isnt ready for the AHL yet. Philly is a good organization, they wont screw him up like Boston did Kalus. Hell, I honestly wouldnt be surprised if he comes back as a 20 but thats a ways away from now.

Mitchell and Davidson are the only two guys that the pats will possibly lose to pros next year. Both are ready but maybe the pats get lucky and get one or both back.

mjw22
03-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Unless Parker vetos it Lang will send Hunt packing. Lang likes speed toughness and big dmen and Hunt just doesn't coach Langs style of hockey.He will most likely follow the same plan he used in MJ and bring in a coach to grow and develop as the team does. Just hope he's better than Hunchak. Hunt couldn't win in MJ and he had some decent teams.

west coast
03-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Lang will definately have a busy summer ahead.The Pats need to improve team speed and desperately require size up front.The team also must address GAA.Perhaps ,bringing in a coach that demands team defence first,or at the very least an assistant coach that stresses disclipine can easily shave 50 goals off the GA.

patsdude114
03-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Article in the leader post about this. The title says it all in that his future is uncertain. Hunt is a smart hockey guy and all, and there were some positives from him this year...but long term, he just isnt the answer and I hope Lang can see that despite likely being friends with him. We need new systems to adapt to the new game, and ones that suit the style of player we have and have traded for.

I agree i dont think Hunt is willing to change how he coaches to adapt to the new game, he did make some strides this season though i think in rolling all 4 lines & actually letting the young kids play.

Patsdude, I wouldnt worry about losing those guys to pro hockey. Neigum is gone anyways, but Bidlevskii is coming back since those two are just on tryout contracts. Blidstrand is still getting acclimated to the dub, and isnt ready for the AHL yet. Philly is a good organization, they wont screw him up like Boston did Kalus. Hell, I honestly wouldnt be surprised if he comes back as a 20 but thats a ways away from now.

Im not really too concerned about losing all 4 of them but it could happen. Slim chance but could still happen. As for Blidlevskii yes it is only a tryout contract but nothing is stopping the NYI or any other team to give him a contract next season either. He was by far our best defensive Dman & best Dman on the PK all season long.

As for Blidstrand i agree as well he isnt ready but i also knew Kalus wasnt ready for the AHL either & going to the AHL as a 19yr old screwed up any chance of a pro career in the NHL he had. He needed to work on his game away from the puck in a league where he could still dominate when he has the puck. Its all about confidence.

Mitchell and Davidson are the only two guys that the pats will possibly lose to pros next year. Both are ready but maybe the pats get lucky and get one or both back.

I do think they will both be in the AHL but im holding out some faith that they both return. Like i said before im a huge Mitchell supporter but he hasnt accomplishment much in the WHL, he just finally started to do something after xmas when he got a chance to play with Weal for the rest of the year. A full season playing top line minutes in all situations with most likely a top 3 forward in the WHL next year in Weal is hard to turn down in development.

As for Davidson alot will determine if EDM decides to sign him over the summer or hold out & wait as long as they can since they have until next years draft to sign him. Its not like he is a high draft pick, yes he is turning into a pretty good prospect but with EDM youth movement freeing up a roster spot in the AHL by sending Davidson to junior could benefit the Pats.