PDA

View Full Version : Showdown

ELL
03-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Two teams both with great records should make a great first round series. The subplot being two goalies, teammates for the ice. Heemskerk doesn't like it that Kootenay's coach at the time doesn't give him more words of encouragement and so walks out on his team. It is two years later and both goalies square off in the first game that matters. Who will have their team behind them.

ELL
04-01-2011, 11:26 PM
What a great atmosphere for the ice tonight. Lieuwen keeps them in it for the first period and then the Ice take over for the rest of the game. Captain McNab and Reinhart were to good for the opposition tonight. Here's hoping it is farewell night in the can next game.

ELL
04-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Well the first battle round of goalies goes to Lieuwen. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Now we move own to the battle of teams that paid for the key piece. My take is Schenn - Strong on his feet with hard shot. vs Eakin fast acceleration with an equally quick release. Kind of like a Hummer vs a Bugati. I like our chances with the Bugati and a team with a huge compete level. Go Ice Ice in 6

lordstanley
04-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Blades in 5 :D

lostsheep
04-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Any recomendations for hotels in Cranbrook?

In the crowd
04-07-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't usually stay in any, but the Best Western is the newest one. The Prestige is nice, Days in has recently been renovated and the Heritage in is pretty popular I think, though a little older. I think I would try the Best Western as it has a pool with a waterslide I think.

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-07-2011, 11:42 PM
It should be a good series, I am coming on the fan bus. I have never been and I am excited to finally be able to see some games!!! 10+ hour bus rides!!! Gotta love em!!

ELL
04-08-2011, 07:48 AM
As far as hotels here are some suggestions. The Heritage which used to be our premier property 20 years ago is quite dated. However the location is close to the rink and if you like a good breakfast included it is a good value. They are rated high for breakfast. The Best Western is the newest, very cheap beds were used however is still retains its new feel. The Super Eight at the far end of town has the best pool and waterslide. If this is your priority good value otherwise the room won't excite you. The Prestige has the most ammenities. As long as you don't mind the train noise you will be happy. Price is 40% higher than the ones above. If you wish to stay on the cheap at a very clean place try Flamingo, note they don't have phones. Your hidden gem choice would be the CPR B&B. A very cool place with incredible breakfast. Although it has a bit of a train museum feel they have great rooms that you can relax in all to yourself. Very close to rink. May you get a good nights rest.

ELL
04-08-2011, 10:21 PM
All our squash matches were late today as we sat in our cars listening to the play by play. What an incredible rush to hear the Ice capture at least the split. Keep up the team play Ice.

trucker
04-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Go Ice Go!! From a Swift Current fan! Would be nice to see Eakin win a Memorial Cup to go along with the AHL cup he won last year with Heshey!!

ELL
04-10-2011, 08:34 AM
I didn't realize Eakin finished last season in the AHL. Great for the Ice fans that the last two games were on Shaw. Great match up of the Ice off the rush versus the dump and pressure of the Blades. We are fortunate that Lieuwen is presently very dialed in.

ELL
04-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Wow, to produce that type of game in the playoffs was stirring stuff. I have been to games all season but never have I witnessed our team play with such a single minded focus. Such a hugely important game tomorrow, just the opportunity to avoid a 10 hour bus trip should be incentive enough. Keep it up Ice!!

Rammer
04-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Wow, to produce that type of game in the playoffs was stirring stuff. I have been to games all season but never have I witnessed our team play with such a single minded focus. Such a hugely important game tomorrow, just the opportunity to avoid a 10 hour bus trip should be incentive enough. Keep it up Ice!!

To me it would seem that the Blades lack of heart added to the final result. I can't believe that down 2 - 0 the Blades didn't show more desperation in their play, not what you expect from a team with their regular season record.

Ice Ice baby!

DunnerStunner
04-13-2011, 12:16 PM
To me it would seem that the Blades lack of heart added to the final result. I can't believe that down 2 - 0 the Blades didn't show more desperation in their play, not what you expect from a team with their regular season record.

Ice Ice baby!

why is your arena so empty?

Rammer
04-13-2011, 12:45 PM

Waiting for some opposition....

Small town 20K, with no real superstar until Eakin came in, tough to build up that necessary attachment.

lostsheep
04-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Your team is playing very well, a team game with all line on the move, I only hope my team takes notes and makes the proper adjustments to at least make a series of it.

JMoney1988
04-13-2011, 09:51 PM
I'm coming on to say, good luck in the next round, you guys deserve it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rammer
04-13-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm coming on to say, good luck in the next round, you guys deserve it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks JMoney, classy post after a difficult series.:applause:

trucker
04-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Way to go Ice!! Go Eakin Go!!!

ELL
04-13-2011, 10:57 PM
You have to give the Blades credit. They were obviously frustrated as hell but they kept their composure with no cheap shots. You had to feel for them as you could tell at games end the realization that things had ended quicker than they expected. My hats off also to the Blades fan, it must be that Saskatchewan thing, fiercly loyal but very fair.

ELL
04-13-2011, 11:21 PM

Thank you very much we appreciate that. It was not hard to get keyed up for a series when you are playing the number 2 team in the country. The hope now is that we can maintain that intensity against a lower seeded team.

patsdude114
04-14-2011, 01:47 AM

Seeing that terrible attendence for game 3 & 4 i think the Ice should be the team moving to Victoria not the Bruins... 2nd round of the playoffs up 2-0 coming home & get poor attendence like that... that is an embarressment.

But anyways congrats to the Ice on a great series looks like the high flying Tigers will be ur next series, way more offense there then in Saskatoon. Hopefully Shaw brings the Eastern Final (which i think they will with all the US teams left in the West since it will be an all US West Final)

JMoney1988
04-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks JMoney, classy post after a difficult series.:applause:
No problem, you guys will probably play Medicine Hat, but who knows.

lostsheep
04-14-2011, 10:58 AM
:clap:Great job Kootenay, You held our shots to the outside and totaly dominated the play in all areas of all 4 games. Good luck in the future who evr you may play.

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Congrats to the Ice!! You guys deserved to win the series. It was nice seeing 2 games in your rink. Thanks a lot for your hospitality!!!

Good luck in the next round.

fightstrap50
04-14-2011, 10:24 PM
The ICE have come together at the right time with the same frame of mind it semmes and earning every win they get. There is a determination to this group that seen a way to go through the Blades in quick fasion and to be able to take out a top team like you guys had is a huge moral booster and a confidence builder for the dressing room. They have found what it takes to be successfull and now need to execute their own game plan just like that rest of the way through the playoffs and see where it can take them.

I believe this team is deep enough to go to the finals, the rest of the fans believe it too, The coaches and management have said all along the believe they can go far this season from the start with solid efforts from the group we have.

But the thing is the team believes they can do it! They want to play for the coaches, they want to win games, and they want to go far this year. That is a great attitude in that dressing room going forward. They are having fun doing it and that really helps too.

Thanks for making the trip down this way, hope it wasn't to long for ya going back the other way. Always another year ahead though, enjoy the summer.

GO ICE GO!!!

ELL
04-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Well the pulse is starting to quicken in Cranbrook. This round we have the Ice who continue to play the ultimate team style and we will continue the analogy of the Bugati. Medicine Hat is fast and relentless with a gunslinging approach to defense. We will describe them as the Dodge Viper. Go Ice!

lordstanley
04-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Well the pulse is starting to quicken in Cranbrook. This round we have the Ice who continue to play the ultimate team style and we will continue the analogy of the Bugati. Medicine Hat is fast and relentless with a gunslinging approach to defense. We will describe them as the Dodge Viper. Go Ice!

Well if they are a dodge viper Kootenay has to be a moms caravan slow takes it's time and waits for it's opertunitys lol

ELL
04-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Wow what heart stopping action. Two high octane teams going at it. It seemed that line match ups were more of a factor than prior Kootenay games. I agree with Lord Stanley that our team could use a little more time in the Caravan and counter the rush. Well done Ice with a huge steal on the road. Also in my opinion Boomer is hurt bad and the blindside hit deserves a suspension.

Rammer
04-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Wow what heart stopping action. Two high octane teams going at it. It seemed that line match ups were more of a factor than prior Kootenay games. I agree with Lord Stanley that our team could use a little more time in the Caravan and counter the rush. Well done Ice with a huge steal on the road. Also in my opinion Boomer is hurt bad and the blindside hit deserves a suspension.

Ice put on the perfect road game tonight and seal a 3 - 0 victory, with a 2 - 0 lead in the series heading home. I have to say the fans in Medicine Hat were quiet from the second period on, with the Ice chant resounding in the third period from the faithful who made the trip to the Hat. This was a well deserved team shutout tonight, as each member took the pride necessary to earn the goose egg. Also nice to see Eakin find his scoring touch, OT winner last night and three tonight. :groovy:

longtimejrfan
04-24-2011, 11:11 AM

The Grbvac hit on Boomer was retaliation for Boomers cheap shot seconds earlier on Hunter Shinkaruk. Both were similar only differece Shinkaruk was able to keep playing.

tractor
04-24-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm hoping I'll have the Ice to cheer for in the Mem Cup. I haven't done that since they won in Guelph. My Oil Kings may need a few more years before I can see some good playoff hockey.

ELL
04-26-2011, 10:56 PM
10 wins in a row for the Ice. Great atmosphere at the Rec Plex with the Blue Men group leading the way. Tough seeing Cerwonka being wheeled out on a stretcher. Looked like he was tripped up by a Medicine Hat stick and went neck first in the end boards at full speed. Standing ovation for Reinhart who spent 30 seconds solo keeping the puck away from the entire Hat team. Although I believe King also has them hearing footsteps. Go Ice, Last one is the toughest just ask the Canucks

Spungy
04-27-2011, 10:17 PM
WOW!!! 11 wins in a row! Eastern Conferance champions!! great job Ice!!

ELL
05-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Well tonight we are off on another tough run. The last time the Ice were in the spotlight in a huge venue was the winter classic. Lets all hope with the new chemistry it will come together. Besides I am sticking with the Bugati analogy, we are going to be a tough team to crack. GO ICE

ELL
05-10-2011, 07:04 AM
You can feel the atmosphere here in Cranbrook ratchet up as the Ice fever peaks for game day. Go Ice go.

ELL
05-11-2011, 10:40 PM
What amazing crowds and atmosphere for those two home games. Ice take both in overtime and can almost taste it. Tuesday night you had the feeling they were fortunate to win but tonight, man their feet were moving. As ice faithful we weren't to happy with the refs tonight but understand they maybe it was our turn to have some calls go against us. Incredible effort Ice, we are behind you.

Rammer
05-12-2011, 12:47 AM
Both OT's were Ice dominated at home, they are showing great heart as this series rolls along. You have to appreciate the effort of each line out there, they are committed as a team to limit the chances by a very good offensive team. Great goaltending by both goalies, good defence and some very crisp offensive plays that make for great action.

ICE ICE, baby!

Chipchura_Fan
05-12-2011, 01:00 AM
This Raider fan is routing for the Ice!! Keep it going, I need a team to cheer for in the Mem. Cup!!!

PS. Thanks again for beating the Blades :clap:

JMoney1988
05-12-2011, 09:47 AM
I thought I would say this, but Great job guys, you guys for sure will win the cup, even if portland takes you guys in game 5, you guys WILL take it in six, great playoff run you beating Moose Jaw, Us and MH, as of right now, I'm cheering mainly, because you guys are going to the memorial cup. Side note, you guys remind me of the Brandon Wheat Kings a couple of years ago, when we lost to them in six, they had outstanding goaltending, pretty much everyone on there team can score, expect I will give you the goaltending edge, since Lieuwen is a beast..... but anyway CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

Tamal_SC
05-13-2011, 02:07 PM
As an Elk Valley boy born and raised and having the pleasure of watching Eakin play in SC for the last 2.5 yrs, I am pulling for the ICE to finish it tonight and take the Mem Cup!! Go Ice Go!

ELL
05-13-2011, 11:08 PM
The Ice Win!!!!!

Thank you to all those supportive comments from followers of other Eastern teams. What an incredible team effort. The horns on our street are going off.

Rocketsfan
05-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Congrats to the Ice and their fans on the whl championship. 15 wins in 16 games is amazing, especially in the playoffs. I'll be cheering for you at the Mem Cup!

ELL
05-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Nice crowd to welcome the Ice back from Portland. Travelling back with all the hardware. Not much sleep I imagine, reflecting about the journey this far and the exciting week ahead. Way to go Ice

ELL
05-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Two small market teams meet on the big stage on Saturday. Won't miss the match up with Owen Sound as that will be a key start for the Ice.

Rammer
05-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Nice crowd to welcome the Ice back from Portland. Travelling back with all the hardware. Not much sleep I imagine, reflecting about the journey this far and the exciting week ahead. Way to go Ice

I understood if the Ice lost they were flying back, the win allowed them to take the long way home via a bus and enjoy an extended celebration for a job well done. I won't ask about some of the pictures I saw, but the boys do know how to share the victory....:)

ELL
05-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Okay, this is when the chips began to fall. Tonight St. John went into overtime and pulled it off. The Ice will make them work all night long and will find a way to the tiebreaker game. I am a believer. Go Ice Go!

fightstrap50
05-23-2011, 11:40 PM
I too, am a believer!

GO ICE GO!!!:thumb:

rednex50
05-24-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm pulling for the Attack.

Great team, great community who have been starved way tooo long who is too small a community to ever host the Mem Cup.

Owen Sound is such a small market (only 26,000 population), that they have difficulties in sometimes getting listed and American players to come north.

DeGray and Reeds did one hell of a job with a club that many expected to not make the playoffs, let alone become a CHL Top 10 team.

ELL
05-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Now into the heart of a healthy Majors team we go. The Ice are making believers out of fans across the country. What a test tomorrow will be. Go Ice Go.

rednex50
05-27-2011, 09:46 AM
it really sucks when the Attack lose their 2 best players due to concussions from bad elbows shots to the head...McNabb only gets one game and Majors got nothing....

Not trying to sound like sour grapes...as injuries are a part of hockey...but headshots are not, and the OHL was really aggressive in its attempts to eliminate headshots this past season. But the Memorial Cup Rules Committee seemed to have different rules than that of the OHL or Q. The WHL is the only CHL division to not have a headshot rule in effect. Unfortunately, it cost Owen Sound dearly.

I just wonder how Kootaney would feel it Shaw tried to take the head off McNabb or Eakin for that matter. I'm sure they would be pissed too. :o

Chipper
05-27-2011, 04:28 PM
If it was clearly intentional I would be pissed, but I think that it was just meant to be a good play taking the player out of the play. Hishion started to duck and McNabb nailed him. Had he not ducked it would have been a great shoulder hit Yes he deserved the penalty and misconduct because it was a hit to the head but no way do I think he did it intentionally to get him injured or out of the tournament.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but the ruling was made a long time ago now and its time to move on. Thats hockey and it happens to every team at some point of the year.