PDA

View Full Version : Schenn to be re-called by LA Kings soon

Hockey Spy
03-27-2011, 08:53 AM
The LA Kings who are in the hunt for playoff positioning are likely to be calling up Brayden Schenn very soon. According to the Kings, one more injury and Brayden Schenn will be an LA King for the rest of the season.

This has to really suck for Lorne Molleken and the Blades as they mortgaged their future for a chance at the MEM CUP in acquiring Schenn.

I bet Kelly Mac would be smirking in Brandon if the two teams were to meet up.

Trav
03-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Find it hard to believe this would be allowed but the NHL being what is is, wouldn't surprise me if a team managed to pull a stunt like this. Thought the minor leagues were meant for call ups. If this does happen the **** the NHL

Shortys
03-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Won't happen. Lorne would not make a deal of this magnitude without making sure all loose ends were secured. Sure L.A. might try to peel him away, but I am sure the contractual agreement will say not until his playoff/mem cup run is over with the blades, then he will be called up.

saskatoonman
03-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Yeah I dont know who your sources are buddy but the chanches of that happening are very slim. If Lorne would have known that this could have happened he would have traded for something else.

Hockey Spy
03-27-2011, 10:23 AM
There is a very silly rule in the NHL collective bargaining agreement that says NHL teams are only allowed to use 4 AHL call-ups after the NHL trade deadline. LA has used all 4 already and that is why they are looking at bringing Brayden Schenn up for the rest of the year.

This will hurt the Blades badly and really upset alot of people around the WHL but nobody more than Lorne Molleken who gave up the farm and all the animals in the farm to get Schenn.

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-27-2011, 10:34 AM
There is a very silly rule in the NHL collective bargaining agreement that says NHL teams are only allowed to use 4 AHL call-ups after the NHL trade deadline. LA has used all 4 already and that is why they are looking at bringing Brayden Schenn up for the rest of the year.

This will hurt the Blades badly and really upset alot of people around the WHL but nobody more than Lorne Molleken who gave up the farm and all the animals in the farm to get Schenn.

Haha. Lorne Molleken is not stupid. Like someone else said: He would not make this deal if something like this could happen.

Hopefully this does not happen though. Also gave up the farm? Hardly even close.

scruffy1
03-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Schenn will be one happy camper if he thinks he is being denied the NHL lifestyle and money.

Hockey Spy
03-27-2011, 10:55 AM
I would say, giving up:

Ayrton Nikkel
Tim McGauley
1st/2nd in 2011 bantam draft
1st in the 2012 bantam draft
1st in the 2012 import draft

That is loads for a player who may finish in the NHL right away this year.

hotdog-pocket
03-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Could happen yes, but it won't.

hotdog-pocket
03-27-2011, 11:19 AM
http://communities.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/blogs/cliches/default.aspx

From Cory Wolfe today on this exact topic....

Schenn:

“I highly doubt anything like that would happen,” said Schenn, “especially because we’re in the playoffs now and I’m pretty sure they know we’re building up for a run here.

“I’m not even going to worry about that. It’s no different than the trade rumours. I just try to focus on the Blades.”

Like I said, could happen, but it won't.

mjw22
03-27-2011, 11:27 AM

you're right about the call up rule.this may be fact more than rumour Schenn is contractually bound to LA not Stoon . LA most likely told Lorne Schenn would be staying but now with the injuries that changes and they dont care what happens in WHL . It"s big business first.

Hockey Spy
03-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Exactly. LA Kings will not give a hoot what the WHL or the Blades for that matter think if they call him up soon. The smoke is in the sky and where there is smoke, there is fire usually. The Kings are not going to jeopardize their playoff hopes so the Blades can win a couple rounds in the WHL playoffs, lol.

I'm sure Lorne is shaking in his boots right about now and wow would that ever hurt, seeing in how much they gave up for 27 regular season and 1 playoff game(s).

sbtatter
03-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Saskatoon will still get to the dub finals, even without Schenn. I wouldn't give credence to the rumour that their is a loophole that could take Schenn to LA, but seeing how LA worked the system to keep Schenn up till Nov then managed to loophole him to the AHL, I'd say if any NHL team would play dirty pool like this, it would be LA....

Kerry Clark
03-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Nope won't happen. It's not like Schenn is going to help L.A. with their first round exit.

Since1980
03-27-2011, 01:16 PM
http://communities.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/blogs/cliches/default.aspx

From Cory Wolfe today on this exact topic....

Schenn:

Like I said, could happen, but it won't.

Exactly.

hotdog-pocket
03-27-2011, 01:54 PM
The LA Kings who are in the hunt for playoff positioning are likely to be calling up Brayden Schenn very soon. According to the Kings, one more injury and Brayden Schenn will be an LA King for the rest of the season.

This has to really suck for Lorne Molleken and the Blades as they mortgaged their future for a chance at the MEM CUP in acquiring Schenn.

I like how you say "he will be recalled soon", but one of two things have to happen before the Kings could even do it.

1. Kings lose another player to injury before someone comes back.

2. Blades lose out of the playoffs.

SectionNDeserter
03-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Saskatoon will still get to the dub finals, even without SchennExactly. I realized something last night before the game. I was checking the scores, and Saskatoon (and PA because they are playing Saskatoon) are the only teams playing the first two games anywhere west of Alberta. THAT is just a testament to how many points they took from their division rivals!

Hockey Spy
03-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Actually, the Blades only had 2 losses all year vs. Central Division teams. I believe they were 22-2-0.

They had a less better record vs. the east.

Shootmaster_44
03-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Kings actually have lost Kevin Westgarth to a broken nose already.

However, this is apocryphal but a user on the Kings' board at HFBoards.com asked Helene Elliott, the Kings reporter for the LA Times about Schenn on Twitter.

I got this message (PM) from heleneothelen on Twitter:

I asked: @helenenothelen If it's an emergency call up?

Her answer: Dean Lombardi said NO. they cannot recall him under any circumstances until his junior team's season ends.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=31939966&postcount=18

So if this is true, Schenn will be a Blade until they are finished.

sbtatter
03-27-2011, 04:57 PM
If there is a loophole it should be changed ASAP to protect the junior clubs

Trav
03-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Change the thread title, it's pretty misleading

Rye
03-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Hockey Spy has no credibility.

Once you send a player to junior, they're stuck there until their junior team is done.

Hockey Spy, I don't think you've ever been right with any of your claims. Why do you continue posting nonsense?

Shootmaster_44
03-27-2011, 05:43 PM

Once you send a player to junior, they're stuck there until their junior team is done.

Hockey Spy, I don't think you've ever been right with any of your claims. Why do you continue posting nonsense?

The rumor that was floated at HFBoards by Kings fan is that one more injury (which is Westgarth), the Kings could bring him up due to certain roster rules that allow extenuating circumstances. It appears that Dean Lombardi quashed this notion and I am not sure whether it is no such rule existed or whether the Kings have an agreement not to do so. Either way, it looks like the Blades have Schenn until they are finished.

I do know that Kings scouts periodically are at Saskatchewan WHL teams' games. This is why it seems like the Kings draft more Saskatchewan based WHL players than other teams. Brent McEwen works as a scout for the Kings now, so it could be that Hockey Spy sits near him and asked him about Schenn. I'm sure the message was jumbled as I bet it was that Schenn was a possibility to be called up by LA, but McEwen only knew the rule and hadn't actually talked to Dean Lombardi. I would gather that Kopitar was injured around 2 PM Saskatoon time (though the game wasn't over until 3:30 PM) and the Blades game started at 7 PM, that Lombardi wouldn't have spoken to McEwen in that time. Plus, the Westgarth injury is still simply a rumor and not fact.

From the HFBoards posters, the Kings need one more injury for this to even have a possibility. Rich Hammond, the Kings official blogger, is still reporting Westgarth as a healthy body. So the Kings haven't even declared him injured yet, so nothing can be done anyhow.

Hockey Spy
03-27-2011, 06:03 PM
A signed player can be called up when there are three players injured at the same position.

I would suggest you all just listen when you're told something.

Furthermore, the #1 center in the minors Loktionov is also hurt meaning that this is dangerously close to happening.

Not saying it will happen, but close.

Shootmaster_44
03-27-2011, 06:38 PM
A signed player can be called up when there are three players injured at the same position.

Furthermore, the #1 center in the minors Loktionov is also hurt meaning that this is dangerously close to happening.

Yes Loktionov is hurt, but Brandon Kozun is rumored to be the next call up if one is necessary. However, the Kings are likely to go with what they have.

The other thing in Schenn's case is that if he plays another game, the Kings burn a year on his ELC. This is why he was sent to the WHL in the first place. So they have to be very sure that they want to burn a year for what might equate to a couple weeks.

It is entirely possible they bring him up on an Emergency Basis on Tuesday. The Kings are in Edmonton and if they bring him up like they did last year in Vancouver, it does avoid the contract issue. He could only play one game on the Amateur Try-out and since the Blades/Raiders series is off until Wednesday I could see that happening. But on a permanent basis is very, very unlikely.

Dwight Schrute
03-27-2011, 07:25 PM

les lazaruk said this in the pre game

patsdude114
03-27-2011, 07:33 PM

Actually it is true what hockeyspy has said, Scheen COULD be called up at any time after being sent to junior but only if the team has been hit with a certain number of regulars being injuried.

Will it happen?? Most likely not, Could it happen?? YES it could happen. Could happen with any junior player who is drafted (especially of 1 like Schenn as the top prospect playing junior)

I would personally LOVE to see if happen just to screw over these Blade fans on this forum & everyone else in Saskatoon. But the chances of this happening is still prety slim. Lets face it Schenn should still be in the NHL, if LA wasnt such a deep team he WOULD be there anyways.

LA has played with a few loop holes already involving Schenn & this is a loop hole as well if LA choose to do it. I dont think LA would do it as they know Saskatoon has a legit shot at winning the WHL title, & that experience along with another Memorial Cup appearance for Schenn is priceless in his development as a winner.

Rye
03-27-2011, 08:34 PM

I would suggest you take a hike, anytime you've told anyone something on here, you've been wrong. Oh except for the Blades being a .500 team, you were dead on on that one.

Kerry Clark
03-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Lombardi doesn't make rash decisions. When they sent Schenn down they sent him down because they feel his development is best served playing in the WHL.

Ideally, they would have wanted him in the AHL but that can't happen because of the agreement between the NHL and the CHL.

The Kings would have to be damn desperate and by that, I mean they'll likely play with a short bench before pulling a guy out of the playoffs on his junior team.

It's not like Schenn is going to elevate the Kings at this point in his career. If Kopitar can't come back they're likely not getting past the first round anyways so what's the point?

Dwight Schrute
03-27-2011, 08:43 PM
I would suggest you take a hike, anytime you've told anyone something on here, you've been wrong. Oh except for the Blades being a .500 team, you were dead on on that one.

so for the record, after les lazaruk clarified that la could and retains the right to recall schenn your still going to disagree ?
(i personally doubt LA will)

ToonTownBlades
03-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Good point whoever mentioned burning the year of ELC. LA would be stupid to do this because Schenn or no Schenn they are likely making the play-offs but losing in the first round if Williams isn't back and probably either way because Kopitar won't be back for sure.

Nook
03-27-2011, 10:35 PM
They can call Schenn up for a game or two on an emergency basis, but they cannot keep him in the NHL for any more than that.

They won't though. Too many horses in the AHL and ECHL that they'd have to go through first.

Hockey Spy
03-28-2011, 09:47 AM

Rye;

I've now had enough with your posting style. Everytime I post something, you come on here with that .500 bullcrap stuff. The fact of the matter is, even Lorne Molleken was thinking that just making the playoffs would be a success this year with such a young team. In fact, you talk to Les Lazaruk who is as close to the team you can get without actually being part of the organization, thought they'd be around .500 or a bit above. What ended up happening, is that the team exceeded expectations early on and that is when Lorne started to acquire depth like Jake Trask, Chris Collins and then Brayden Schenn. I believe with Schenn in the lineup, the Blades were 23-3-1.

So please don't come on here throwing that .500 crap in my face everyday. Because if you are going to do that, you might as well do the same to Lorne Molleken and the Blades themselves.

Shootmaster_44
03-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Rich Hammond the Kings' official blogger, clarified the rules on Schenn. I think this will settle the Schenn to LA rumors.

Just to clarify, on the issues of Brayden Schenn’s NHL eligibility — because I think I’ve finally got a grasp on it — there’s only a very, very slim chance that Schenn could join the Kings this season. Essentially, Schenn wouldn’t be eligible to join the Kings on an emergency basis unless three more injuries took place to forwards (not counting Anze Kopitar). This is based on the agreement between the NHL and the Canadian Hockey League, and the rules get much more strict after March 1.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/03/28/scheen-status-clarification/

Looks like the Kings would have to lose a few more players to be able to do so. I guess Schenn won't make the trip to Edmonton tomorrow night without some serious accident to occur.

fro14
03-28-2011, 04:06 PM

Your dumb

Hockey Spy
03-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Those were the initial reports.

The initial report was one more injury and he could be called up. Then there was the rumour that another player was also injured and it could be very soon. Also Mike Milbury reported it on HNIC, so I was just going by what he said. I thought he would be credible enough to get the talk going on the subject.

And NO, I'm not dumb.

Rye
03-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Rye;

I've now had enough with your posting style. Everytime I post something, you come on here with that .500 bullcrap stuff. The fact of the matter is, even Lorne Molleken was thinking that just making the playoffs would be a success this year with such a young team. In fact, you talk to Les Lazaruk who is as close to the team you can get without actually being part of the organization, thought they'd be around .500 or a bit above. What ended up happening, is that the team exceeded expectations early on and that is when Lorne started to acquire depth like Jake Trask, Chris Collins and then Brayden Schenn. I believe with Schenn in the lineup, the Blades were 23-3-1.

So please don't come on here throwing that .500 crap in my face everyday. Because if you are going to do that, you might as well do the same to Lorne Molleken and the Blades themselves.

Lets start seeing some quotes and actual sources from you then. If you want I can go back and look at all of the claims you've made and bring those up if you'd like. Your choice, really.

hotdog-pocket
03-28-2011, 05:18 PM

The initial report was one more injury and he could be called up. Then there was the rumour that another player was also injured and it could be very soon. Also Mike Milbury reported it on HNIC, so I was just going by what he said. I thought he would be credible enough to get the talk going on the subject.

And NO, I'm not dumb.

Yeah, the key words being "COULD BE CALLED UP".

Look at your title...it says "TO BE RECALLED SOON".

You always blow everything way out of proportion. Always.

Shootmaster_44
03-28-2011, 05:39 PM

And NO, I'm not dumb.

Just a helpful hint, since I imagine I am not the only one who does not watch HNIC unless their team is playing (in my case the Kings), credit Mike Milbury with it. The was you worded it made it sound like you have some internal source with the Kings that told you as such.

For my NHL news, I go to the LA Papers and their official blogger, who cracks most of the Kings news, actually. Suffice to say, it looks like Brayden Schenn would need three more players to be injured before he can go.

However, the Manchester Monarchs signed Jordan Weal from the Pats to an Amateur Tryout. Which means there is a disposable forward that could be brought up to LA, without hurting the team's chances. I also hear rumblings that Linden Vey could be heading to Manchester on an ATO when Medicine Hat is finished. Thus, meaning Brandon Kozun could be headed to LA if necessary.

Though Terry Murray says that they have no plans to bring anyone up for the time being. I do wonder whether the Kings realize that as much as the team and their fans want them to win the Cup, that a Second Round exit is probably as good as they can expect? Manchester on the other hand does have a good chance to win a Calder Cup. Having the youngsters make a Calder Cup run is probably better for experience than losing a First or Second Round matchup in the NHL. Apparently, when the Blades are done Schenn will join whichever team is still playing. Which means he will probably get a shot at winning a Calder Cup. Be something if he wins a Memorial Cup and a Calder Cup.

Hockey Spy
03-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Time will tell!:p

BladesFan_2010
03-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Yeah, it ain't happening!

fro14
03-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Time will tell!:p

ya that you dont know what your talking about

Hockey Spy
03-29-2011, 11:24 AM
ya that you dont know what your talking about

well, we'll have to agree to disagree on that. I think I probably have more hockey knowledge than you could ever dream of obtaining son.

Don't try and be an internet bully. It really is sad when people do that.:soapbox: