PDA

View Full Version : prospects

Switch14
03-29-2011, 08:18 PM
brandans list

http://luberslounge.blogspot.com/2011/03/wheat-kings-prospect-watch.html

Joe Hallenback
03-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Looking at our team for next season and the spots available here is what I have.

Stone(19) Ferland(19) Walker(19)
Seaman(17)) Swyripa(18) Meuiller(18)
Favreau(18)

Pulock(17) Melnychuk(20)
Fransoo(18) Miller(19)
Roy (17) Hunter(18)
Galbraith(18)

Liston(18)
Boes(18)

Just looking at the lineup a few things pop out. No Ciarelli in a 20 year old spot and no euros. If we do get a quality euro and that can be hard to get I would expect it to be a forward for sure and possibly 2 forwards.

Looking at our prospects these are the ones that I expect to be on the team

Asham(17) McGauley(16) Conroy(17)
Proft(17) Nelson(17) Harms(17)

Now without any euros that pretty much completes the forwards. Adding a top notch euro would give us more depth. We are probably going to have a real excellent first line probably the best in the WHL and if we can find a real good 20 year old to give us some depth we should be able to score.

Now on defense it is a very different matter. From were I stand the defense is pretty much set. But the problem and it is a very good problem to have is we have probably some of the best prospects coming yet.

Nikkel(16)
Kuzcek(17)
Waltz(16)
Powiada(16)
Speiss(16)

Pretty sure Nikkel and Kuzcek are both here next year. Waltz is a bit of a wild card, he may impress enough to stick around. The other 2 had really solid midget seasons and with some growth and a little bit of work you never know.

The goaltending is interesting as well especially considering they added one of the best undrafted midget goalies around.

Honey(17)
Fuhr(16)

In a perfect world we keep both Boes and Liston. In reality I wondering if they keep one and bring in Honey to backup next year. I have heard that Fuhr intends to go the college route but I guess we will find out if he comes to camp.

What do I think may happen before next season starts? I think the Wheat Kings are going to deal one of there goalies and probably one of the D men currently in the lineup for some help up front. I bet Boes/Liston plus Hunter/Galbraith could get us a good solid 19 year old forward. Adding a 20 year old forward would also be a priority that will probably happen as the season starts and teams are waiting for cutdown day.

R_N
03-30-2011, 01:06 PM
My take on next season:

I really hope Favreau isn't around next year. Hasn't impressed me at all. If we are going to continue with the youth movement I would much rather see a rookie in that spot.

I also wouldn't completely rule out keeping Gustafsson. I realize that he would occupy both a 20-yr-old spot and a euro spot but he sure has been playing well as of late (and was absolutely great in game 1 in Winnipeg).

The real logjam is on defense as Joe pointed out. I can really see Kelly moving a dman (Hunter would be my pick) and a rookie forward/pick package for some veteran scoring. I can also see us moving a guy up (Galbraith) to add some energy and grit to the forwards, leaving spots for Nikkel + another rookie on the backend.

I agree on not keeping Ciarelli. To me, a guy like Seaman can take over that role easily. There has to be at least 1 or 2 good 20-yr-old castoffs that other teams are unable to keep.

Add a decent euro forward to this group and we hopefully build on an exciting second half this season.

Switch14
03-31-2011, 07:46 PM
ya it will be interesting for sure

conroy- had a slow start this year but really found the back of the net the second half playing with marc macoy rebels,and connor honey seattle

proft-was playing very well on the same line as jaden heart tigers, but carter didnt play the second half of the year

waltz-played strong most times i watched him though not on the strongest loyd team

carson cooper- here is an interesting sitaution he won the ammhl scoring race with around 75 point might really push for a spot next year

tyler fur- didnt have a very strong year bad numbers needs another year of midget in the amhl

curtis honey- had a good year good numbers also won macs cup mvp, might have a good chance next year aswell.

colinst14
04-03-2011, 06:22 PM
sorry to reply and not contribute to the thread, but I was wondering if there was a list like this for every team somewhere?

olwpgjet
04-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Nice list, a couple things though, I'd be tempted to keep Ciarelli until something better comes along because forward will be the weakest link next year. Gustufsson will be a tough decision as well.
Also , I would be tempted to explore what we could get for Melnychuk. All of our young dmen will have a season and some playoff experience as well.
This would free up a spot for one of the rookies and another dman for forward trade is almost a borderline necessity (lol) as well.
Looking forward to next season but hope we can come back against Medicine Hat and get some more playoff games.

Switch14
04-27-2011, 06:28 AM
its going to be a really good team for years to come even after mem cup good forward core with lots of proven talent in midget, defense looks good but could be a little deeper, and goal tending looks good for next year as well with boes and liston with more experience and honey and furr aswell i think your right though they may not be any reward to carrying to 18s next year anyway with the draft coming up soon any though here are some players i like from AB

point F
mcmaster F
simpson F
irving D
Pankewicz, Kord D
mappin F
France, Dylan G

sbtatter
04-27-2011, 04:23 PM
its going to be a really good team for years to come even after mem cup good forward core with lots of proven talent in midget, defense looks good but could be a little deeper, and goal tending looks good for next year as well with boes and liston with more experience and honey and furr aswell i think your right though they may not be any reward to carrying to 18s next year anyway with the draft coming up soon any though here are some players i like from AB

point F
mcmaster F
simpson F
irving D
Pankewicz, Kord D
mappin F
France, Dylan G

It's all opinions, but I think defence is our strength. We return all 7 from this year, plus will have Kuczek as a 17 year old, Walz and Nikkel as 16's pushing to make the team. I expect some D to be traded for some forwards who can score, skilled forwards will likely be our weakness as is.....

Switch14
04-27-2011, 11:43 PM
I guess i could agree with that so how many forwards do we need to step in, what is the goalie situation for next year and who would you be taking in the top three rounds?

Joe Hallenback
04-28-2011, 07:09 AM
The problem with the bantam draft is the players more than likely will not be a major part of the current team for at least 2 to 3 years. Drafting on what you need now is pretty much a waste. You always draft for what you think is the best player available.

It would be nice to see the WHL go to a 15 year old draft like the OHL and Q.

sbtatter
04-28-2011, 07:26 AM
I guess i could agree with that so how many forwards do we need to step in, what is the goalie situation for next year and who would you be taking in the top three rounds?

Well, Harms should provide some goals, Asham can be a defensive center, I would guess we need to add 1 or 2 scoring forwards?
We can run with Boes and Liston again this year, then the following season drop 1 of them and bring in a younger goalie to apprentice under the veteran....
As far as picks, we have 3 in the top 32 hey? I never predict who we will take because I don't know who wants to play in the dub or the NCAA!!

Joe Hallenback
04-28-2011, 10:54 AM
I hear that Brandon really likes Jordan Thomson who played for Southwest this past year in the Midget league. He might end up going in the top 5 thought. Another guy I know they got there eye on is Austin Douglas from Winnipeg, he is already 6'5 and played bantam last year.

Hockey Spy
04-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Martin
Pilon
Virtanen
Gropp
Thomson
Duke
Gardiner

Tier 2
Mappin
Bleackley
Warkentine
Quennville
Gonek
Macmaster
Chartier
Shirley
Hicketts
Point
Olenyk
Brooks
Fleury
Harris
Stadel

All these players will be in or very close to first rounders. Hope this helps.

booboo
04-30-2011, 10:00 AM
The Wheats certainly have the opportunity to re-stock their prospect pool with this years bantam draft--8 picks in first 100 and next year as well with 2 first round selections. Unless they can get a good one to commit, I would forget about the Euro draft just like Kootenay and Tri-Cities have. Case in point Meiritz from last year was not good at all. The process is a waste of time unless you can get a high end Euro to commit. Also, going forward I would not keep Ciarelli--not enough offence for a 20 year old. Wait for other teams to pare their rosters of 20 year olds or forget about them. There is no sense keeping a marginal 20 year old when you can let one of your 17 year old prospects develop. Having said all this I do think that 2 things need to happen early in the season---1. decide the Euro/overage situation quickly and 2. If Curtis Honey is the prospect I think he is in goal, decide between Liston and Boes and trade the other along with Hunter, or Galbraith, or Fransoo to a team out west to beef up the forwards. The result will be a team that may struggle a bit while the new forwards develop. We should have one of the top lines in the WHL with Stone, Ferland, and Walker. If Kelly can find another Mark MacKay that would help out the top line.:groovy:

Snoopy
04-30-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't know if Harms will be a in wheat kings jersey next year, I follow the terriers were Harms play last I was told is that he doesn't know what he wants to do.

I also heard that Hunter doesn't like it in Brandon.

So you knows

booboo
05-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Does anyone out there know if the WheatKings will be holding a prospects camp in May as they used to before the Mem Cup last year?

Johnny Table
05-01-2011, 03:25 PM
I don't know if Harms will be a in wheat kings jersey next year, I follow the terriers were Harms play last I was told is that he doesn't know what he wants to do.

So you knows

Harms has already signed so he knows what he wants. Hunter played a top 4 role for most of the second half and HE lives at my neighbors and HE LOVES IT HERE. Funny you say this about the 2 Portage guys. What does Nelson say cus Id be interested to hear what you heard avbout him haha

Joe Hallenback
05-01-2011, 03:27 PM

So you knows

I talked to Harms at MJHL finals and he says his goal next year is to make Brandon

Hunter is from the Brandon area and his family is close so I am not sure were he would go ?

Switch14
05-02-2011, 02:26 PM
They will be holding one on the long weekend late May I believe.