PDA

View Full Version : WARNING...Watch out for Slimey Owners!

bruiserfan
04-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Just wanted to warn every WHL fan out there to keep an eye out for slime ball WHL team owners lying to your face and doing whatever they can for their own interst and not the team! We had one here in Chilliwack and it appears it has cost us our team! Local owners tried to keep the Bruins local at the highest price and the offer as not considered. WARNING...there is still a Porter, Burke and Sather out there!

mjw22
04-02-2011, 01:13 AM
The league has their finger prints all over this as well. Robison talks like small markets matter but I really think they want to be in big centers Victoria Winnipeg. It's all about $$$$. I don't know if the league is planning a series of moves or is just going to let a fairly new rink sit empty and piss off a city that was drawing about 3500 fans. Kootenay & Prince George have drawn around 2400 - 2500 or about 50 % capacity which can't be good. Move one to Chilliwack and one to Wpg and SC could be put in the Central div to replace Kootenay Wpg replaces SC just a theory. Small markets & poor attendance could cost a city their team. Robison & WHl want to be in new rinks min 4500 seats & major markets even if it makes no sense. MJ spokesperson was saying they hoped to draw 3000-3500 in the new rink or 66-77 % capacity when we now draw 2700 or 98% capacity does that justify 65 million dollars to attract 800 more fans. Secondary problem in MJ what do they do with the aprox 315 empty dates in the arena people don't part with $ there so it'll sit empty most nights.

Stuck in the Penalty Box
04-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Before the next season watch for the Hurricanes being sold to private interests likely not from Lethbridge. The league especially the board of governors (old boys club) are not fond of community owned teams. Any sniff of troubles will see the league tell them to sell. Afterall it all boils down to the almighty $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$yeehoo

Derek Sutton
04-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Before the next season watch for the Hurricanes being sold to private interests likely not from Lethbridge. The league especially the board of governors (old boys club) are not fond of community owned teams. Any sniff of troubles will see the league tell them to sell. Afterall it all boils down to the almighty $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$yeehoo
Out trolling again hey pal?? http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?p=164681#post164681

What are you basing this on? Do you have an idea how the Hurricanes and non equitable shares work? Yes, the stories are that the league would prefer private ownership but they cannot mandate it. Apparently public ownership will keep them from getting to host a Mem Cup but many factors go into that as well. Also after the Enmax Center face lift, I highly doubt that a sale would be in anyone's best interest, although I'm not privy to the current, or future leasing agreement.

west coast
04-03-2011, 03:01 AM
All that fans can do is support their home hockey club.Bums have to be in the seats.I have been in almost rink in the WHL and there definately are the HAVE teams and the HAVE NOT teams.The HAVE teams play to capacity or near capacity on a regular basis.Unfortunately there are HAVE NOT teams that struggle at the gate .The league should do a better job of mandating a league wide marketing plan.Teams like Prince George and Chilliwack played this season to un acceptable attendance figures.The owners are in this game to make a dollar.Fans ,if you love this game ...then get out there and support your team before it is too late .

Stuck in the Penalty Box
04-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Lethbridge is another club struggling at the gate and knowing this city's history of not supporting a "rebuilding team", therefore the club loses more $$$$. The Hurricanes are a "have not" team. Oh sure they have had in their 25 year history, three trips to the WHL finals, and one trip to the Mem Cup. I am not sure how the shares in the club work. IMO the club could be better off in the hands of an owner who has deep pockets and the money to invest in the club. I am not knocking the current board of directors or any board that may come along, but they are handcuffed financially in their hiring practices. I agree that the Hurricanes will not get the Mem Cup bid for 2013. The politics of the "old boys club" will likely award it to Red Deer. The Rebels have hosted the WJRS, thus their facilities, logistics are there. They have also proven more often than not, that they are usually amongst the more competitive teams in the league. While the Hurricanes struggle to rebuild, will be at best a mid level team by 2013. Does private ownership guarentee a winner? No it doesn't. But the chances are it is more likely to than not.:confused:

Derek Sutton
04-03-2011, 04:14 PM
I agree with everything you've said in this post, not that what i think really matters.
As a shareholder this is my best understanding of how it works. All shares a worth $100 no matter what the actual value of the franchise is. If their would be a sale, shareholders would only get $100 back for each share, NOT the selling price divided by number of shares. It's not a money maker to own or sell shares. Each shareholder gets one vote for the bod on all pertinent matters no matter how many shares you have so 50 shares by the same owner does not give him/ her 50 votes. A community owned system like this is an excellent model, and how most community owned teams operate. Is it working right now? probably not but but with the bod and the right staff it does.

bruiserfan
04-04-2011, 02:19 PM
All that fans can do is support their home hockey club.Bums have to be in the seats.I have been in almost rink in the WHL and there definately are the HAVE teams and the HAVE NOT teams.The HAVE teams play to capacity or near capacity on a regular basis.Unfortunately there are HAVE NOT teams that struggle at the gate .The league should do a better job of mandating a league wide marketing plan.Teams like Prince George and Chilliwack played this season to un acceptable attendance figures.The owners are in this game to make a dollar.Fans ,if you love this game ...then get out there and support your team before it is too late .

Get you large ego-inflated Giants head out of your ass! Attendance was up this year when nearly all teams have been down. Economy is **** and attendance was up. Finally starting to put a product on the ice (after the first three terribly managed years...). Community of 80,000 and we average nearly 3400 this year...higher than 6 other teams. Agreed it could be better and will, but we have not failed in Chilliwack yet! This has nothing to do with bums in seats...it's all for profit even if the rink was full. I just don't understand why they ignore a local owner's offer when it is nearly 1 mil higher than the next!

west coast
04-04-2011, 02:58 PM
so now you are blaming me for the demise of the Chilliwack Bruins? All i said was for the fans to rally and support their team if they like having a WHL franchise in their city.I have been to dozens of games in Chillwack over the years and one could sit wherever they wanted to as there were so many empty seats.It is all about the owners making money! Why keep a team in Chilliwack to break even or lose money? If you want to blame someone for the demise of the Bruins then look no further then the people that did not renew their season tickets and chose to drive down the highway and watch Abbotsford Heat games with their hard earned money
Get you large ego-inflated Giants head out of your ass! Attendance was up this year when nearly all teams have been down. Economy is **** and attendance was up. Finally starting to put a product on the ice (after the first three terribly managed years...). Community of 80,000 and we average nearly 3400 this year...higher than 6 other teams. Agreed it could be better and will, but we have not failed in Chilliwack yet! This has nothing to do with bums in seats...it's all for profit even if the rink was full. I just don't understand why they ignore a local owner's offer when it is nearly 1 mil higher than the next!

rednex50
04-04-2011, 03:24 PM
The Chilliwack Bruins are not losing money. Don't worry about that one.

IF there was a money losing season, it would have been season 3 when we lost Santorelli, Moller Holden, Pighin, Potter to the broken neck and all the injuries we had. But even that I believe is a stretch to a "losing money season".

If they were a money losing franchise...then how would their value almost double in 5 seasons? Why would they walk away from a deal that is 3/4 of a million higher (local ownership) than the "agreed" deal with Victoria? Where else can you get almost 90% increase in your original investment in just 5 years?

Things do not add up here, because if it were just money...why not take the one on the table to gives you the most money back?? Isn't that simple business...show me the money??

Something stinks here...and I don't need a shower :p

bruiserfan
04-04-2011, 03:45 PM
so now you are blaming me for the demise of the Chilliwack Bruins? All i said was for the fans to rally and support their team if they like having a WHL franchise in their city.I have been to dozens of games in Chillwack over the years and one could sit wherever they wanted to as there were so many empty seats.It is all about the owners making money! Why keep a team in Chilliwack to break even or lose money? If you want to blame someone for the demise of the Bruins then look no further then the people that did not renew their season tickets and chose to drive down the highway and watch Abbotsford Heat games with their hard earned money

Maybe we should just close those seats so they don't look empty like the upper deck at the Coliseum. Do the math...Chilliwack pulls over 4% of the population wheras Vancouver is less than 3%. This move is not happening because we haven't supported it! This is just big players pushing their weight around!

west coast
04-04-2011, 04:29 PM
there definately seems to be more questions than answers right now.I read a story that said that Chilliwack was moving to Victoria and that another WHL team was moving to Chilliwack.now how retarded is that? i will post story in a minute

west coast
04-04-2011, 04:31 PM
I hauled myself out of my sick bed, put on my pink shirt and got to work so I could stand up to a bully.
It seems that Brian Burke - the man who, behind the scenes is busy selling off the Chilliwack Bruins to Victoria interests - is lawyering up.
Via his lawyers, he let me know that his feelings and reputation were hurt when I said he was “seeking vengeance on the Canucks.”
You see, owners, managers and other folks around the WHL were concerned that the AHL’s Manitoba Moose were destined for Victoria should the Phoenix Coyotes return to Winnipeg.
The Moose, of course are the Canucks farm team and would heighten the brand’s presence in this province even more than it is, if that were possible.
But you know what? Revenge is the wrong word to use with Burke and the Canucks. It’s easy to take back because to get revenge you have to score a point against your target. Here’s an example. The Leafs awkward courting of the Sedin twins before the free agent deadline. You remember the tampering charges and the naked ambition in full public view. That's not revenge. It's simply incompetence.
But back to the point that folks in the Fraser Valley are worried about: Burke, Glen Sather and Darryl Porter and their deal to send the Bruins packing to Victoria.
In this letter from his attorneys, Burke takes the time to spell out what the WHL’s strategy is in relation to Chilliwack and Victoria.
"(Victoria’s RG Properties boss) Graham Lee has been promised a WHL franchise in that city.”
Really?
A promise of an expansion team for Mr. Lee in Victoria? Why buy the Bruins in the first place then? Why not sell the Bruins off to local interests who have an offer on the table then? Lee has a promise. He can get in line.
But it gets better.
This letter goes on to say that, it was, "…the WHL's and Mr. Lee's desire to have an established team in Victoria rather than an expansion team. This will not leave Chilliwack without a WHL team. The WHL is in the process of negotiating the movement of another WHL team to Chilliwack."
So then, who will move? Are you folks feeling nervous in Prince George or Cranbrook yet?
One of the best mantras that David Braley, owner of the CFL’s BC Lions recycles is that he isn't an owner of the team. He's simply a ‘caretaker’.
People in the Fraser Valley are demanding transparency. Owning a sports franchise should mean that you have a covenant with the community you serve.
Brian. Come clean. Now. I have a spot at 8:15 in the morning where you can have the floor and tell the people in the Fraser Valley just what is going on with the future of their team.
I know your lawyers will pass you a note.
Posted By: Jim Mullin

mjw22
04-04-2011, 04:53 PM
I hauled myself out of my sick bed, put on my pink shirt and got to work so I could stand up to a bully.
It seems that Brian Burke - the man who, behind the scenes is busy selling off the Chilliwack Bruins to Victoria interests - is lawyering up.
Via his lawyers, he let me know that his feelings and reputation were hurt when I said he was “seeking vengeance on the Canucks.”
You see, owners, managers and other folks around the WHL were concerned that the AHL’s Manitoba Moose were destined for Victoria should the Phoenix Coyotes return to Winnipeg.
The Moose, of course are the Canucks farm team and would heighten the brand’s presence in this province even more than it is, if that were possible.
But you know what? Revenge is the wrong word to use with Burke and the Canucks. It’s easy to take back because to get revenge you have to score a point against your target. Here’s an example. The Leafs awkward courting of the Sedin twins before the free agent deadline. You remember the tampering charges and the naked ambition in full public view. That's not revenge. It's simply incompetence.
But back to the point that folks in the Fraser Valley are worried about: Burke, Glen Sather and Darryl Porter and their deal to send the Bruins packing to Victoria.
In this letter from his attorneys, Burke takes the time to spell out what the WHL’s strategy is in relation to Chilliwack and Victoria.
"(Victoria’s RG Properties boss) Graham Lee has been promised a WHL franchise in that city.”
Really?
A promise of an expansion team for Mr. Lee in Victoria? Why buy the Bruins in the first place then? Why not sell the Bruins off to local interests who have an offer on the table then? Lee has a promise. He can get in line.
But it gets better.
This letter goes on to say that, it was, "…the WHL's and Mr. Lee's desire to have an established team in Victoria rather than an expansion team. This will not leave Chilliwack without a WHL team. The WHL is in the process of negotiating the movement of another WHL team to Chilliwack."
So then, who will move? Are you folks feeling nervous in Prince George or Cranbrook yet?
One of the best mantras that David Braley, owner of the CFL’s BC Lions recycles is that he isn't an owner of the team. He's simply a ‘caretaker’.
People in the Fraser Valley are demanding transparency. Owning a sports franchise should mean that you have a covenant with the community you serve.
Brian. Come clean. Now. I have a spot at 8:15 in the morning where you can have the floor and tell the people in the Fraser Valley just what is going on with the future of their team.
I know your lawyers will pass you a note.
Posted By: Jim Mullin

Burke is nothing more than an over rated bully in a cheap suit.His success in Anaheim was less to do with him and more to do with the previous Gm Brain Murray. He accomplished very little in Vancouver and will have even less success in TO anyone that would give up 2 1st round picks for Kessle nuff said :D

mjw22
04-04-2011, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=bruiserfan;165609]Community of 80,000 and we average nearly 3400 this year...higher than 6 other teams.

smaller cities draw better than your city. SC MJ PA all out draw you % wise. It is about bums in seats & big money pay attention PG and Cranbrook. Like I said IF the deal is done you will just lose this team and the local owners will buy out PG which for a lot of reasons makes sense location,attendance players may not want to report there etc. Bottom line the attendance has to be consistent in smaller markets regardless of team performance because in JR hockey it goes in cycles due to player turn over. You can't just support them when they win. In MJ in the seasons we missed the play offs att was about 70-75 % capacity SC drew about 75 % this year and that's about what you drew this year. Not good enough for a city of 80,000.

bruiserfan
04-04-2011, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=bruiserfan;165609]Community of 80,000 and we average nearly 3400 this year...higher than 6 other teams.

smaller cities draw better than your city. SC MJ PA all out draw you % wise. It is about bums in seats & big money pay attention PG and Cranbrook. Like I said IF the deal is done you will just lose this team and the local owners will buy out PG which for a lot of reasons makes sense location,attendance players may not want to report there etc. Bottom line the attendance has to be consistent in smaller markets regardless of team performance because in JR hockey it goes in cycles due to player turn over. You can't just support them when they win. In MJ in the seasons we missed the play offs att was about 70-75 % capacity SC drew about 75 % this year and that's about what you drew this year. Not good enough for a city of 80,000.

Agreed...I think small markets is what makes the league so great and keeps it going. Sure the large markets bring in the money, to me, it's not what Jr hockey is all about. However, you can't expect a Chilliwack fan to sit by and watch as different teams come and go through town so you can please the bigger markets. Why the hell can't Victoria start from their own expansion team like we had to. Sure it's nice and easy to hit the ground running with an established team....it'll make them look great. And then, Chilliwack looks bad because the devoted fans are to bitter to watch the new team in town? how quickly would you buy season tickets right now if a completely different team was in the building next year?

mjw22
04-04-2011, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=mjw22;165622]

Agreed...I think small markets is what makes the league so great and keeps it going. Sure the large markets bring in the money, to me, it's not what Jr hockey is all about. However, you can't expect a Chilliwack fan to sit by and watch as different teams come and go through town so you can please the bigger markets. Why the hell can't Victoria start from their own expansion team like we had to. Sure it's nice and easy to hit the ground running with an established team....it'll make them look great. And then, Chilliwack looks bad because the devoted fans are to bitter to watch the new team in town? how quickly would you buy season tickets right now if a completely different team was in the building next year?

Money talks and owners can sell to who they want. If these guys owned PG then PG would be going to Vict.They don't want expansion not enough talent coming into league so relocation of low attendance teams works better. In reality in the jr hockey you have basically a new team every 3 years so cheer for the one you get. Call them the Bruins and really what has changed except you now may have owners who give a crap. so ya I'd get my season tickets as soon as they went on sale.

bruiserfan
04-04-2011, 06:22 PM
I know owners can sell to whoever they want but why does the league approve it when it makes no sense?! A move like this makes it look bush league. So you'd have no trouble watching a team next year that you used to cheer against and cheer against a team full of Howden, Rielley, Bowman. Hood, Edwards, Svendson etc. I guess I'm not that fickle. This isn't Broadway where I'll watch whatever show comes to town!

west coast
04-04-2011, 07:02 PM
a true WHL fan loves the hockey for entertainment value.What sense does it make to jump up and down when Chilliwack moves to Victoria....and in the same breath refuse to buy tickets to the new team.The fans of Chilliwack had better try to do something productive to save the idea of having a franchise in valley.A boycott will only prove the fans of Chillwack have spoken once again and dont want a wHL franchise.

bruiserfan
04-04-2011, 07:37 PM
We do want a WHL team....the Bruins! (Oh how convenient...they're already here...for now)