PDA

View Full Version : blades moving to winnipeg?

wango tango
04-06-2011, 10:38 AM
http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/2011/04/tuesday.html

says the dominoes follow like: chilliwack to victoria. with victoria no longer an option than for the vancouver canucks ahl team the manitoba moose (assuming winnipeg gets nhl hockey back), move to saskatoon, and the blades go to winnipeg.

don't want the ahl. a team of never will be in the nhl players, good nhl prospects who you just start to like and are gone, and were once nhl'ers now on the downslide. also much more expensive.

can les lazaruk or cory wolfe get some answers? this whole thing is really turning into a $h!t show. time for both the nhl and whl to start treating their fans with more respect.

hotdog-pocket
04-06-2011, 11:30 AM
I doubt that happens. I think that the Moose would move closer to BC, if not into BC.

Toswammi
04-06-2011, 12:36 PM
http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/2011/04/tuesday.html

says the dominoes follow like: chilliwack to victoria. with victoria no longer an option than for the vancouver canucks ahl team the manitoba moose (assuming winnipeg gets nhl hockey back), move to saskatoon, and the blades go to winnipeg.

don't want the ahl. a team of never will be in the nhl players, good nhl prospects who you just start to like and are gone, and were once nhl'ers now on the downslide. also much more expensive.

can les lazaruk or cory wolfe get some answers? this whole thing is really turning into a $h!t show. time for both the nhl and whl to start treating their fans with more respect.

Everytime they talk about moving an NHL team on Winnipeg, they talk about moving the Moose to Saskatoon. I have heard so many different verisons and twists on this over the past few years.

Dwight Schrute
04-06-2011, 12:49 PM
doubt winnipeg could have nhl and whl team too. if the nhl should return to manitoba perhaps the moose moving to chilliwack is an option ?

WHEATMAN
04-06-2011, 01:01 PM
I doubt it will happen, but it isn't impossible. Having the Moose in Saskatoon would be the ideal location for Winnipeg's farm team considering its about as close of a location as they'll be able to find. Also, don't forget that Thomson and Chipman have pockets so deep that they hit the floor (Thomson is the richest man in Canada and one of the richest men in the world). If they want a team in Saskatoon and are willing to pay for it, I doubt Brodsky will say no; you don't become a multi-millionaire by acting stupid.

Do the Blades even make money anyway? Everybody knows about the dismal attendance figures, but would those poor numbers carry over to the Moose if they came to town? Something tells me more people would show up to watch the Moose than the Blades. Call it a hunch.

Regardless of what happens with respect to Saskatoon, the WHL is in a weird situation given all the franchise instability. At this point, one franchise relocating is practically a given, but it's increasingly looking like a second franchise will follow. The question is, who will it be?

In the WHL, times be a changin'

hotdog-pocket
04-06-2011, 01:53 PM
I doubt it will happen, but it isn't impossible. Having the Moose in Saskatoon would be the ideal location for Winnipeg's farm team considering its about as close of a location as they'll be able to find. Also, don't forget that Thomson and Chipman have pockets so deep that they hit the floor (Thomson is the richest man in Canada and one of the richest men in the world). If they want a team in Saskatoon and are willing to pay for it, I doubt Brodsky will say no; you don't become a multi-millionaire by acting stupid.

Do the Blades even make money anyway? Everybody knows about the dismal attendance figures, but would those poor numbers carry over to the Moose if they came to town? Something tells me more people would show up to watch the Moose than the Blades. Call it a hunch.

Regardless of what happens with respect to Saskatoon, the WHL is in a weird situation given all the franchise instability. At this point, one franchise relocating is practically a given, but it's increasingly looking like a second franchise will follow. The question is, who will it be?

Dismal?

Explain how averaging over 5,000 a night is dismal?

Looking at the numbers, as of January 3rd...the Blades were top 9 in the league in regards to average attendance...and that was BEFORE the Schenn trade where the Blades saw a large increase in attendance down the stretch.

Looking at those same numbers from January 3rd...the Blades would be top 5 if they were averaging over 5,000 a game (which they did).

Wildeyes
04-06-2011, 03:55 PM
what would of happened if the blades where not as good as they are. The only reason that the blades had a average attendance is that they had a good team. For years they have been struggling for fans.
I would love for saskatoon to have a AHL club it would be good hockey.

As for the WHL times are changing yes they are. Before the WHL was supported by the smaller communities the the west (swift, MJ, PA,) but now they want to move into markets with NHL clubs already there and forgetting the hockey communities that supported them thru think and thin which is garbage. WHL should look at the medium sized markets when relocating a team.

patsdude114
04-06-2011, 08:33 PM
The people of Saskatoon dont support the Blades like they should, having the #2 team in canada & barely cracking the 5,000 people for avg attendance is terrible.

The AHL isnt that great of hockey either, if the people of Saskatoon cant support the #2 team in all of the CHL how the hell will they ever support a AHL team where your top players at any given moment can get a call up to the NHL. I was at a Moose game 2 yrs ago expecting the hockey to be much better then the WHL but really it wasnt much of a step up at all infact you could put the Blades & Rebels on the ice for a game & the game would be much better to watch then a AHL game.

Saskatoon is not a hockey city at all, im not sure what kind of a city it is.... maybe a city driven for CIS sports, with all the damn pot holes in that city i dont blame people for hitting the streets to attend a Blades game. I was in Saskatoon on March 28/29th & my god the pot holes all over that city especially on Circel drive around the Travelodge was horrid, thought i was driving in MJ where some streets arnt even paved in established areas

fro14
04-06-2011, 09:34 PM
The people of Saskatoon dont support the Blades like they should, having the #2 team in canada & barely cracking the 5,000 people for avg attendance is terrible.

The AHL isnt that great of hockey either, if the people of Saskatoon cant support the #2 team in all of the CHL how the hell will they ever support a AHL team where your top players at any given moment can get a call up to the NHL. I was at a Moose game 2 yrs ago expecting the hockey to be much better then the WHL but really it wasnt much of a step up at all infact you could put the Blades & Rebels on the ice for a game & the game would be much better to watch then a AHL game.

Saskatoon is not a hockey city at all, im not sure what kind of a city it is.... maybe a city driven for CIS sports, with all the damn pot holes in that city i dont blame people for hitting the streets to attend a Blades game. I was in Saskatoon on March 28/29th & my god the pot holes all over that city especially on Circel drive around the Travelodge was horrid, thought i was driving in MJ where some streets arnt even paved in established areas

Lol think your a little jealous of our city... and our team... i love haters:) thank you

Hockey Spy
04-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Regina is so much better than Saskatoon hey?

just like Moose Jaw is so much better than Prince Albert?

I think the north-central takes the cake on both fronts.

Dwight Schrute
04-07-2011, 12:38 AM

the moose are vancouvers farm team and have been for many years now. should winnipeg get a nhl team i doubt the canucks would give them their farm team.

wango tango
04-07-2011, 11:01 AM
the moose are vancouvers farm team and have been for many years now. should winnipeg get a nhl team i doubt the canucks would give them their farm team.

i don't think that's what wheatman is saying. should winnipeg get an nhl franchise they will need a place for prospects. will they operate their own ahl team or go in with another franchise? edmonton mothballed their ahl team a few years ago, would they want to go in with winnipeg and put an ahl team in saskatoon? it makes sense for vancouver to want their ahl team close by, do the moose go to chilliwack?

the whl does not want to lose saskatoon. and would not sacrifice the blades in a larger city, to put them in a smaller one in chilliwack. does the brodsky family have any interest in the ahl? there has been a lot of talk about the team bidding for the 2013 memorial cup. to me that says the blades are not going anywhere.

saskatoon is not a good sports town. regina is a better sports town. that's just truth. saskatoon is a better 'big deal' or huge event town. lots of bandwagon jumpers. doesn't matter what the thing is sports, music, whatever.

as far as people in saskatoon not supporting the blades like they should. true again. the blades franchise was a not very good one for a long time before lorne molleken was hired back. a lot of fans were lost, going to a game was no longer a big deal. it's taking time to win people back, but looking at the last couple of seasons, it is happening.

Stuck in the Penalty Box
04-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Chilliwack to Victoria is apparently a done deal (nothing official from the league as they have put a gag order on all the league's governors/presidents). So who could fill the void in Chilliwack? According to Greg Drinnan's blog, both Jeff Chynoweth (Kootenay) and Brodsky (PG) have said not them. Mind you Kootenay is in the middle of the playoffs and certainly any grumblings of them leaving would hurt their already poor attendance. PG would not be moving as they are bidding for the Mem Cup (official now). So, what other possibility is there? Maybe Swift Current who has gone down the tubes big time? That would even out the two conferences with 11 teams in each. All the other speculation on moves are soley dependent on Winnipeg getting an NHL team. Saskatoon will not be moving anytime soon as they too are bidding for the Mem Cup (official now). No matter what transpires, it could be very interesting to see what happens between now and the League scheduling meetings.

:confused:

patsdude114
04-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Regina is so much better than Saskatoon hey?

just like Moose Jaw is so much better than Prince Albert?

I think the north-central takes the cake on both fronts.

Its funny how u totally avoided the actual topic with statements i made & only picked these topics & to add a new mix into them.

For starters PA is a huge dive there is NOTHING there at all, MJ takes this hands down. At least MJ has some tourist attractions, also great job by the city of PA to approve a build site for a hotel (Days Inn) to be right behind the jail look out ur hotel room window & watch them walk the yard, thats a great thing to stay there will most definately get me to stay there again (NOT)

As for Regina & Saskatoon, i never did say regina was so much better then Saskatoon, both cities have certain things going for them but neither 1 is a clear winner. All i commented on really was ur crappy roads.

lostsheep
04-07-2011, 07:03 PM
um i may be missing something but why would the WHL be looking to move a team back into Chiliwack. wouldnt they just keep the team there if the was such a void? and really AHL hockey sucks. i will not travel 400Km round trip per game to see this, i will travel to Edmonton instead. keep the blades where they are, moving CW to victoria is just stupid, and it comes down to fan support and an owners willingness to be happy in that location. Support your teams win or loose.

auch07
04-07-2011, 08:34 PM
You didn't by chance win fan of the year and sit in Section G do you? lol

Dwight Schrute
04-07-2011, 11:03 PM
As for Regina & Saskatoon, i never did say regina was so much better then Saskatoon, both cities have certain things going for them but neither 1 is a clear winner. All i commented on really was ur crappy roads.

i think crappy doesnt begin to define the craters on the streets in saskatoon this spring. did we recently have a meteor shower here ? lol

Shootmaster_44
04-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Here's what I have heard:

Chilliwack --> Victoria
Victoria (ECHL) --> Chilliwack
Atlanta (NHL) --> Winnipeg
Winnipeg (AHL) --> Saskatoon
Saskatoon --> Winnipeg

The AHL won't be the Moose in Saskatoon, they will call the new NHL team the Manitoba Moose. I also heard that True North would not operate the AHL team. They want Jack Brodsky to swap the Blades for it. Apparently, True North wants a WHL team to compliment the NHL franchise. Why the AHL isn't a good compliment is beyond me.

The merry-go-round with affiliation would work like this:
Abbotsford
Calgary --> Vancouver

Saskatoon
Vancouver --> Manitoba

San Antonio
Manitoba (Atlanta) --> Calgary

Apparently, the Canucks are interested in buying the Heat from the Flames. So they would have their ECHL affiliate in Chilliwack and their AHL affiliate in Abbotsford. The Saskatoon team would affiliate with the Manitoba Moose. Atlanta's affiliate the San Antonio Rampage would affiliate with Calgary.

Apparently, AHL affiliation agreements have yearly options in them meaning changing an affiliation is very simple. One side opts out and the deal is done. So there's nothing stopping the above.

Since NHL parent teams do not always own their own AHL franchise, the only thing the non-owning NHL teams can do is move their affiliation. Seems to me the only teams that own their AHL affiliates are:

Toronto
Los Angeles
Edmonton
Calgary
Dallas

Also, I had heard that the WHL approval of Chilliwack to Victoria is hingent on a new arena being built in Nanaimo. If a new arena is built in Nanaimo, the WHL would encourage a team to move there. Likely candidates are Kootenay and Prince George to move to Nanaimo.

lostsheep
04-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Auch07 yes i do and sorry for the slow response!! section G rocks, but the blue crew seems to over look us for the ice cream!!LOL:clap:

auch07
04-12-2011, 06:22 AM
I thought as much...I am the father of the 2 of 3 variation of girls depending on who comes to the game on any given night that sits in row 13 lol.

And ya unfortunately it does seem our section gets overlooked alot for any of the promo stuff.

lostsheep
04-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Nice to see more real fans on here. My wife will have the I pad at the game for the girls to enjoy at game 5 :) See you there

auch07
04-12-2011, 07:38 AM
You bet.

lordstanley
04-12-2011, 09:02 AM
See you on the webcast tonight go blades

patsdude114
04-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Here's what I have heard:

Chilliwack --> Victoria
Victoria (ECHL) --> Chilliwack
Atlanta (NHL) --> Winnipeg
Winnipeg (AHL) --> Saskatoon
Saskatoon --> Winnipeg

The AHL won't be the Moose in Saskatoon, they will call the new NHL team the Manitoba Moose. I also heard that True North would not operate the AHL team. They want Jack Brodsky to swap the Blades for it. Apparently, True North wants a WHL team to compliment the NHL franchise. Why the AHL isn't a good compliment is beyond me.

The merry-go-round with affiliation would work like this:
Abbotsford
Calgary --> Vancouver

Saskatoon
Vancouver --> Manitoba

San Antonio
Manitoba (Atlanta) --> Calgary

Apparently, the Canucks are interested in buying the Heat from the Flames. So they would have their ECHL affiliate in Chilliwack and their AHL affiliate in Abbotsford. The Saskatoon team would affiliate with the Manitoba Moose. Atlanta's affiliate the San Antonio Rampage would affiliate with Calgary.

Apparently, AHL affiliation agreements have yearly options in them meaning changing an affiliation is very simple. One side opts out and the deal is done. So there's nothing stopping the above.

Since NHL parent teams do not always own their own AHL franchise, the only thing the non-owning NHL teams can do is move their affiliation. Seems to me the only teams that own their AHL affiliates are:

Toronto
Los Angeles
Edmonton
Calgary
Dallas

Also, I had heard that the WHL approval of Chilliwack to Victoria is hingent on a new arena being built in Nanaimo. If a new arena is built in Nanaimo, the WHL would encourage a team to move there. Likely candidates are Kootenay and Prince George to move to Nanaimo.

Nice story especially the spot where i made it bold lmao

Hockey Spy
04-12-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm really not sure if I would rather have the Blades or the AHL farm team of Winnipeg in Saskatoon.

It would be kind of neat to have the ties with the new franchise in Winnipeg and follow some pro hockey and maybe win a Calder Cup etc. I'm really not sure though how the AHL would be received in Saskatoon and if they would draw more than 5,000 per game or not is the thing. There would be a handful of Blades fans very pissed off at losing the WHL that is forsure. However, I'm not sure I would be one of them.

I guess, GO RAIDERS GO if the Blades are no longer. Or become a Winnipeg Blades fan, not sure.

wango tango
04-12-2011, 12:40 PM
this from les lazaruk doesn't make me feel very good about the future of the blades in saskatoon.

from his april 12 posting...

"I am aware of the confirmed reports that have the Bruins' majority owners selling the team to Graham Lee and R-G Properties with the buyers' intent to move the franchise to Victoria for next season. I am aware of the fact that one of those soon-to-be former Bruins' owners, Toronto Maple Leafs' general manager Brian Burke, let it be known that Chilliwack would not be without a team for next season because another current W-H-L franchise will be moving there. And, I am aware that league commissioner Ron Robison has said that placing a team in Victoria was a priority down the road and that once it happened, there would also need to be a second franchise on Vancouver Island.

I couldn't say any of that on Shaw without incurring the wrath of the league, the Saskatoon Blades and my employers at the Saskatoon Media Group who sign my paycheques."

i don't want the ahl. prospects who you just start to like and they're gone, guys on the downside of their career, and players who are career minor leaguers. no thanks.

fans in saskatoon complain about ticket prices already. a $20 regular season ticket in the whl is about $30 or $35 in the ahl.

the way the leagues are handling the relocation talk from the nhl on down is incredibly disrespectful to the fans.

wango tango
04-12-2011, 12:42 PM
I guess, GO RAIDERS GO if the Blades are no longer. Or become a Winnipeg Blades fan, not sure.

how long are the raiders going to survive without a team in saskatoon?

WHEATMAN
04-12-2011, 01:01 PM
how long are the raiders going to survive without a team in saskatoon?

They would be fine. If Brandon and Prince George can make it work, so can PA.

Shootmaster_44
04-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Nice story especially the spot where i made it bold lmao

It is just what I've heard. The reasoning I had heard was that the team wanted a fresh start, so the Jets name would not be revived. Since True North owns the Moose, they have an established name in Winnipeg.

This is no different than when Ottawa rejoined the CFL. They chose the name Renegades because they wanted a fresh start. The Rough Riders name carried with it heartbreak and disappointment, much like the Jets name does. Thus, going a different direction is what they had decided. Another name I had heard floating around is the Manitoba Falcons. That one was mentioned due to historical ties with hockey in the Manitoba capital.

Again, this is all I things I had heard. I didn't make any of it up, the places I heard it may have done so. But it isn't a story out of my mind.

WHEATMAN
04-12-2011, 01:07 PM

I know they are Vancouver's farm team; it doesn't matter what team's players are developing there. What matters is who owns it, and the owner is True North, the same guys who will soon own an NHL team. Getting ownership of the franchise is the hard part, filling it with players is easy in comparison.

Should True North get an NHL team, bank on the contract between the Moose and Canucks being severed.

lostsheep
04-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Its begining to sound like support on not the league decides what happens :mad: Im not so content to sit back and watch as big business takes over, its the fans who will gain or loose in any case. where does it stop? what will it take for PA, Swift, and even our own team to be safe? the league shys away from community ownd teams, but thats because they have a hard time sterring them to other areas! maybe not such a bad thing for the fans... you know the ones who pay the price of admission, the ones who add or subtract from the profit margins. i know Jack and the other owners want to make money too, but at what cost to the fan, and the on ice product? If the product isnt of good quality then the suport will not be there. Has any one asked Mr. Brodsky what his thoughts are? or where he would stand on a AHL team?

Shootmaster_44
04-12-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm really not sure if I would rather have the Blades or the AHL farm team of Winnipeg in Saskatoon.

It would be kind of neat to have the ties with the new franchise in Winnipeg and follow some pro hockey and maybe win a Calder Cup etc. I'm really not sure though how the AHL would be received in Saskatoon and if they would draw more than 5,000 per game or not is the thing. There would be a handful of Blades fans very pissed off at losing the WHL that is forsure. However, I'm not sure I would be one of them.

As for me, I'd probably cheer for the AHL franchise just as I did for the Blades. If anything, it might turn me into a bit of a Winnipeg NHL fan as I'd be interested in how the guy I saw in Saskatoon did.

The thing with the Calder Cup championship is it depends whether the parent club would give the Saskatoon team more roster control or not. I've heard this mentioned on AHL boards before. Some teams like the Manchester Monarchs are owned by their parent club and are solely for development for the Kings. Thus, the drive to win a Calder Cup isn't there in the organization.

On the flip side you take a team like the Hershey Bears. The Capitals send some developmental prospects to the team. However, the Bears build a good portion of their roster. Since the Bears build the team, they build it to win the Calder Cup.

So depending which style of AHL team Saskatoon gets, it could dictate how well it does with fans. You get a consistent winner like Hershey and the fans would likely come out and support the team. Conversely, you get a team like Manchester which falls and rises based on the prospect pool of the parent club and you'll get Blades style support (pathetic in bad years, decent in good year and great in the playoffs).

Shootmaster_44
04-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Has any one asked Mr. Brodsky what his thoughts are? or where he would stand on a AHL team?

Seems to me he was largely against it. In 2005 once the NHL lockout was over, the Edmonton Oilers had offered Jack Brodsky a straight up swap of the Blades for the RoadRunners. Seems to me he didn't even entertain the offer.

However, if True North were to move their AHL team here, I'm not sure that Jack Brodsky would have any option but to move the Blades. I don't see the two going head to head in Saskatoon. If that happened I think Saskatoon would be left with no major junior and no professional hockey.

patsdude114
04-12-2011, 06:08 PM
The AHL is not a step up from the WHL yes the players for the most part are better as they are older but like shootmaster said it all depends on how the team is built. If its only for the NHL teams prospect pool the quality of hockey sucks.

I had a chance to go to an AHL game in Winnipeg or a Wheat Kings game this past year when i was visiting family in a small town about 40 mins out of BRN & i took the WHL game hands down. I have been to an AHL game before & it was terrible, at least i knew what i was getting into by going to a WHL game.

The only nice thing about going to an AHL game in Winnipeg is the rink they play in unfortunately for the people of Saskatoon the CUC isnt a great rink to begin with. It is great for WHL hockey but u bring in a forum of pro hockey & its just another avg/less rink. The seats in the CUC are horrid maybe the CUC can get the seats out of the Civic Center in MJ sure it wouldnt be many but they would be a step up from what the CUC has now.

Im not from Saskatoon (thank god) but i am not in favour of having an AHL team there over the WHL. I wouldnt be making any trips to Saskatoon to watch AHL hockey thats forsure.

Hockey Spy
04-12-2011, 06:56 PM
WOW, with that attitude, I'm not so sure anyone would really want you in Saskatoon. Oh, I forgot, Regina's rink and city is soooo much better right?:rolleyes:

Hockey Spy
04-13-2011, 08:47 PM
ok Fight guy!

now leave my forum.